02. Filosofi
03. Teraphim - Puhdistava Tuli
04. Hänen Musta Liekkinsä
05. Helvetin Ikuisessa Loistossa
06. Kyy
07. Uhrattu
08. Pimeyden Kutsu
09. Samaelin Kuiskaus

Azaghal – no introduction needed. Either you know these Finnish raging Black metal monsters or you don't – in which case you probably won't like them anyway. They're back with a new one and this one's called Teraphim. And this new one is, why not say it right away, a pretty decent release.

Although not as rampaging as predecessor Omega, this is still a pretty wild ride. Testosterone-fuelled Black metal, yeah baby. A bit more melodic than the aforementioned Omega, but unfortunately also not as doomy. More accessible and less menacing usually equals a step down in my book o' evil. Still, I appreciate Azaghal for trying to keep things lively and varied in the form of keyboard sound effects, choir effects and whatnot ('Pimeyden Kutsu' is lovely). Of course that also has been done before, but well, what do you expect?

But but but but but but Holy Mother of Mary, Azaghal, what the hell sort of prank do you think you are pulling on me?! I like your style dudes, your raging blasphemy, but now you treat me to this... thing. I'm talking about that last track, 'Kyy', which has what can easily be described as 'the single most offensive, inappropriate and incapacitated lead guitar ever'. In all concept albums about rapists, serial killers and pedophiles I have not come across a melody so utterly nauseatingly suffocatingly wrong. Dammit.

Ok, so points detracted for that <blank>, what's done is done, let's move along. I think this would be the right place for a conclusion, wouldn't it? So here it goes. Azaghal won't surprise anyone with their new album, nor will they acquire or loose a substantial amount of fans. They simply do what they've done for quite some time now, and that is playing raging, hateful Black metal. Fast, thrashing, aggressive. Period.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written on 04.09.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 97 users
04.09.2009 - 15:24
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I will definetly check out this Kyy song!
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
04.09.2009 - 15:32
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
This was a fun read!

As for the album, I might also check out that Kyy song. I will then send HIV tampons to the band's postal address.
04.09.2009 - 18:28
Rating: 8
AbdelioR

Can't wait for it.
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
04.09.2009 - 22:09
Got Mayhem?

Kyy is a re-release right? Im pretty sure it was on an earlier EP and have a music vid on YT
----
06.09.2009 - 05:53
Nightmare_Heaven

It is. Kyy is my favorite song of theirs. Has been for years. Is this a different version? A different song? If not it seems strange.
05.01.2010 - 03:11
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Now that I finally listened, this album deserves a little more than a 7.3
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 6094 | This month: 4