Metal Storm logo
Gama Bomb - To Give New Album Away For Free

Original news posted on 10.09.2009

Irish metallers Gama Bomb have issued the following update on their MySpace blog:

"We're pretty happy to announce that this November 5th we're going to be giving our third album, "Tales From The Grave In Space", away for free through Earache Records.

On the day you'll be able to visit www.earache.com/gamabomb and download all the album tracks, as well as the cover art by Jeff Jordan, for nothing.

Here's a video of Philly looking hung over at the Science Museum, trying to explain the whole shebang."

According to the band: "The album is inspired by the horror and sci-fi compendiums of the 1950s and 60s and will feature cover artwork by a well-known fantasy illustrator. Inspired by collections like Tales From The Crypt, The Twilight Zone, Eerie and Creepy, Tales From The Grave In Space's tracks take in topics ranging from the undead, technology run amok and ninja assassins to ghouls, ghosts and murder most foul.
It's business as usual, boils and ghouls."

Gama Bomb will be entering Grindstone Studios in Suffolk, UK on September 15th with producer Scott Atkins to record "Tales From The Grave In Space".

UPDATE

So today is the day that you can download Gama Bomb's new album entirely for free. All you have to do is follow the above link, enter your email address into their webpage and a download link will appear. The album is in mp3 format at 320kbps quality and contains no Digital Rights Management technology. The album will be available for download for the rest of today only.

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Gama Bomb
Posted: 05.11.2009 by White Winter Sun

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 17   Visited by: 234 users
09.09.2009 - 18:07
Vermin

An admirable move.
09.09.2009 - 20:23
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Love free stuff. Although it might not be too much of an undervaluation... can't remember anything from their last release... ahh, here's hoping
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
09.09.2009 - 21:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I liked their last album. it was marked down to $9.99 already, so it's not like they were bilking fans or profiteering off the music.

nice move on their part, but surely they and the label deserve at least a little coin to sustain the band for future efforts.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.09.2009 - 02:07
Got Mayhem?

His reasoning seems flawed. The primary source of finding new music is websites like these and youtube, not label websites.

Hope it works out for them, but I don't think this will do much to help them in the long run.
----
10.09.2009 - 02:32
Symmachus

I like how he is walking in a museum while announcing it. I wonder if physical copies are available of this album. I know for a fact that, although it is an act of niceness on their behalf, I am not really a person who supports the downloading movement and would never do it for my music. That's just me though. As stated by others on this thread, they do deserve at least a little bit of money from this.
05.11.2009 - 04:47
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
W00000t for free shit!
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
05.11.2009 - 05:07
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Got Mayhem? on 10.09.2009 at 02:07

His reasoning seems flawed. The primary source of finding new music is websites like these and youtube, not label websites.

Hope it works out for them, but I don't think this will do much to help them in the long run.

I agree with this. Metalstorm, Youtube and Internet Based Radios (Pandora, Last.FM) help me find music. I never go onto label sites.
05.11.2009 - 06:49
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Written by WorpeX on 05.11.2009 at 05:07

I agree with this. Metalstorm, Youtube and Internet Based Radios (Pandora, Last.FM) help me find music. I never go onto label sites.

Ah, I can tell you're american without looking up your profile...I remember the good ol' days with Pandora...back when I was still able to use it... And I don't even remember what the fuck happened to it anymore...
05.11.2009 - 08:11
Fat & Sassy!

Wow. Free with no strings attached... and it's even at 320kbps to boot! (J'.')J
05.11.2009 - 17:32
Silent Jay

Playing it right now They are awesome for doing this.
06.11.2009 - 02:34
Overlord_PT

Indeed
06.11.2009 - 07:37
Locke
Account deleted
This band is amazing. Great album too.
06.11.2009 - 19:02
PrettyMao

Written by Symmachus on 10.09.2009 at 02:32

I like how he is walking in a museum while announcing it. I wonder if physical copies are available of this album. I know for a fact that, although it is an act of niceness on their behalf, I am not really a person who supports the downloading movement and would never do it for my music. That's just me though. As stated by others on this thread, they do deserve at least a little bit of money from this.

They aren't giving their album away for free out of niceness, don't be silly.

They are doing it for exposure, so that people who wouldn't normally go out of their way to pay for an album of a band they have never heard before can hear it (because everyone likes the word "free"). And they hope that these people will like the band and perhaps support them more in the future.

It's simple marketing. And there's a lot of research out there that would suggest that by giving out free samples people will try your product and if they are happy with it they may become repeat customers, and we all know repeat customers are the best customers. Why do you think companies are always giving away free shit in the mail and such? Because they are nice? That's a fucking laugh....
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
07.11.2009 - 19:36
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Written by PrettyMao on 06.11.2009 at 19:02

They are doing it for exposure, so that people who wouldn't normally go out of their way to pay for an album of a band they have never heard before can hear it (because everyone likes the word "free"). And they hope that these people will like the band and perhaps support them more in the future.

It's simple marketing. And there's a lot of research out there that would suggest that by giving out free samples people will try your product and if they are happy with it they may become repeat customers, and we all know repeat customers are the best customers. Why do you think companies are always giving away free shit in the mail and such? Because they are nice? That's a fucking laugh....

You're absolutely right...these guys are such assholes for throwing dirt in our eyes...I mean, invoking that evilish thing called "marketing" upon the fans, and making it look like they are actually giving away their album for free, with a 320kbps at that... Nah, I'd much rather go stick with metallica and gun'n'roses who sue fans for downloading their albums, but are at least straight and honest about it...Now that's the kind of advertisement a band needs...
07.11.2009 - 20:16
selken
Irreligious
Hehe, I love free stuff....

My first impression... a good band, some kind of riot-party speed/thrash like Sex Machineguns...

good stuff
----
07.11.2009 - 23:33
Fat & Sassy!

Written by PrettyMao on 06.11.2009 at 19:02

And more power to them. Either way, I'm getting an album for FREE. You sound kind of angry about this band wanting exposure... Isn't that what every band wants?

And how do you know they aren't nice guys? Judging by their music, they have a good sense of humor.
10.11.2009 - 19:25
PrettyMao

Written by Metal Maiden on 07.11.2009 at 19:36

You're absolutely right...these guys are such assholes for throwing dirt in our eyes...I mean, invoking that evilish thing called "marketing" upon the fans, and making it look like they are actually giving away their album for free, with a 320kbps at that... Nah, I'd much rather go stick with metallica and gun'n'roses who sue fans for downloading their albums, but are at least straight and honest about it...Now that's the kind of advertisement a band needs...

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 07.11.2009 at 23:33

And more power to them. Either way, I'm getting an album for FREE. You sound kind of angry about this band wanting exposure... Isn't that what every band wants?

And how do you know they aren't nice guys? Judging by their music, they have a good sense of humor.

I'm sorry I came off as angry/cynical. I just thought Turd of Black sounded like some naive nitwit that didn't understand the facts behind bands doing this kind of promotion.

I am personally all for this type of gimmick. When people hear the word "FREE" they come flying out of the woodwork to get whatever it may be. This allows smaller bands to get more exposure to a larger audience that would not normally go out of their way to give the band a chance had they had to pay for the album. And if the band's music is genuinely good they might just be able to attract more fans to buy future albums.

A lot of authors are taking this approach as well, giving away a couple of their titles for free in hopes of attracting a larger audience. And it has been working.

So good luck to them.
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**

Hits total: 4431 | This month: 5