Metal Storm logo
Epic 80's Anthems

Original post

Posted by Nighthowls, 10.09.2009 - 08:30
We all Know the 80's had some of the worst spandex wearing bands, not to mention their talent, but many epic Chorus having, fist pumping songs came out of this Era too. Some of my favorites are Tesla's Hang Tough, Lizzy Borden's American metal / Notorious, what are some of yours?
27.09.2009 - 19:17
Derwood

Wow, it's a general list of all the absolute crap music I avoided as a teenager! Good god 80's hair metal sucked.

If we're talking glam, then Poison rules the roost. "Talk Dirty to Me,""Unskinny Bop," their cover of Loggins & Messina's "You're Mamma Don't Dance" were all massive hits. The last one is actually a pretty good rendition of the song, but don't tell anyone I said that. Not really anthems, though.

Real 80's anthems in terms of everyone singing the chorus and rocking out:

Actual 80's KISS, "On the Eighth Day"

Helix - "Rock You"

Kick Axe - "Too Loud ... Too Old"

Lee Aaron - "Metal Queen"

Ozzy Osbourne - "Crazy Train"

Dokken - "Tooth and Nail"

Dio - "Just Another Day"

Krokus - "Eat the Rich"

Twisted Sister - "We're Not Gonna Take It"

Scorpions - "Rock You Like a Hurricane"

Accept - "Balls to the Wall"

Europe - "The Final Countdown"

Not really hard rock/glam, but points for trying hard: Survivor - "Eye of the Tiger"

And sadly, from the biggest metal letdown album of all time: Judas Priest - "Parental Guidance"

Damnit, now I'm going to have to go wash my brain with "Screaming for Vengeance," reminisce about big hair and skinny leather ties and try to forget that Judas Priest was responsible for that horrendous pop fest called Turbo.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
29.09.2009 - 06:52
RegalBeard

Lets see... I'd judge this according to the sheer volume at which i "sing" along and the haphazard combo of headbanging and popping and locking that ensues while I'm enjoying it....

Panama
No One Like You
75% of Pyromania and/or Hysteria
Livin' on the Edge of a Broken Heart (yea that's right)
Livin' on a Prayer

hmmm....
09.11.2009 - 06:27
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Nah theres no WAY you guys can top this one

We Are Stars - Hear N Aid (The Ronnie James Dio Project) were he gathered all the badasses of the time, if you werent in the song, you were a nobody or sucked in metal at Metal, you guys heard it? how can we forget about it
10.11.2009 - 17:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Nighthowls on 09.11.2009 at 06:27

Nah theres no WAY you guys can top this one

We Are Stars - Hear N Aid (The Ronnie James Dio Project) were he gathered all the badasses of the time, if you werent in the song, you were a nobody or sucked in metal at Metal, you guys heard it? how can we forget about it

Well it had Spinal Tap in it and no Metallica. You can't say Metallica sucked at metal in 1985. No-one from Ozzy was in it. So your statement "if you weren't in that song, you were a nobody or sucked in metal" is a bit bloated.
Of course I have heard it. I have both the 7"single and the album. That is how I fed Africa at the time
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.11.2009 - 04:58
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Quote:
Well it had Spinal Tap in it and no Metallica. You can't say Metallica sucked at metal in 1985. No-one from Ozzy was in it. So your statement "if you weren't in that song, you were a nobody or sucked in metal" is a bit bloated.
Of course I have heard it. I have both the 7"single and the album. That is how I fed Africa at the time

hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! you fed little ethipian children huh? off the spoils of metal yeah youre right, i make bloated statements somethigs, usually when typing drunk
13.11.2009 - 06:34
kkktookmybaby

There is no going wrong with the FINAL COUNTDOWN
23.11.2009 - 14:23
DayFly

I feel like necroing this thread:

Tesla - Modern Day Cowboy (Mechanical Resonance)
Great cowboy-themed song supplemented with a nice, bouncy backbeat, second perhaps only to Back In The Saddle. The raspy, slightly chainsaw-type vocals (Brian Johnson crossed with Tom Keifer) just ooze attitude while the guitars are an interesting mix of bluesy hard rock and early glam metal.

Lita Ford - Gotta Let Go (Dancin' On The Edge)
Tremendous mid-paced anthem from Lita Ford's only glam metal album. Sadly she'd ditch the sound for a hard rock/AOR approach and her first album is a horrid NWOBHM emulation. Main riff could have appeared on an early Mötley Crüe album, multitracked vocals could have been from Heart or Runaways and the rhythm section is smart enough not to get in the way.

Alex Masi - Under Fire (Attack Of The Neon Shark)
This is the only vocal track from a grammy nominated shredder-album. Jeff Scott Soto, seemingly the hired gun of choice for guitar heroes, gives a cool and cocky performance and the guitars do nothing but provide a few laid back leads during the verses before erupting in tight, almost militaristic riffing during the chorus. Solo is great, as is to be expected.

L.A. Guns - Electric Gypsy (L.A. Guns)
Raunchy, bluesy number that rocks hard enough to appeal to metal fans as well. The opening lick is stellar (and not the usual run-of-the-mill powerchord-based riff) and the band just drives it home. Can't help but turning it up everytime I get to this song.
05.12.2009 - 06:14
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
How about "Rock the Night" by Europe.
It'sa really epic one...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.12.2009 - 07:37
Number Juan

Can't believe no one has mentioned Quiet Riot's Metal Health. That's an 80's anthem, right there.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
07.12.2009 - 13:16
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I dont like "Metal Health" that much compared to "Cum On Feel The Noise" or "Thunderbird" (though this one is more likely ballad than "hymn")
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.12.2009 - 13:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ellrohir on 07.12.2009 at 13:16

I dont like "Metal Health" that much compared to "Cum On Feel The Noise" or "Thunderbird" (though this one is more likely ballad than "hymn")

Then again I prefer the original version of Cum Feel The Nooise as performed by Slade to the weak cover quiet Riot made of it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.12.2009 - 13:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well it is nice song too, but i dont feel such a power from it and doesnt feel the "80ties spirit" that much, which is this thread about...not talking about the fact it is hardly "epic 80ties anthem" when recorded and released in 1973
----

08.12.2009 - 13:47
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
80's was all about Ah-ha and Abba (well...all of it!)

i dont know what you fools are going on about with "metal"
08.12.2009 - 13:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 08.12.2009 at 13:47

All of the 80s ABBA?
They were at their peak in late 70s
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2009 - 14:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You see? and i always thought nowadays metal was born in 80ties...

(yes there were Black Sabbath and Judas Priest a bit earlier)
----

08.12.2009 - 14:36
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2009 at 13:55

Written by Guest on 08.12.2009 at 13:47

All of the 80s ABBA?
They were at their peak in late 70s

Yeah ok you caught me out....:P Well my favourite song of them "Happy new Year" was done in the beginning of the 80's so that must count for something the harmonizing in that song still gives me chills!
23.12.2009 - 18:44
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Top Gun Soundtrack...
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
23.12.2009 - 19:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Linak on 23.12.2009 at 18:44

Top Gun Soundtrack...

Dangerzone!

yeah, that was fairly epic back in the day.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.01.2010 - 07:02
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Ghostbusters soundtrack. Nobody could not escape from that
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
12.01.2010 - 04:06
Megadethfaun

I like Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
and Dr.Feelgood - Motley Crue
12.01.2010 - 16:40
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by kkktookmybaby on 13.11.2009 at 06:34

There is no going wrong with the FINAL COUNTDOWN

Can't believe I didn't think about that one! That's like a national anthem for us here in Sweden.
----
14.01.2010 - 07:19
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Hulk Hogan's Theme song
30.01.2010 - 04:56
Jonnz of Steel

London - Ride You Through The Night

Wee bit more obscure than some of the previously posted songs but no less awesome. Nadir D'Priest's vocals are spectacular
31.01.2010 - 13:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I'm surprised no-one ever mentions Babylon AD when it comes to 80s cheese metal.. check out Bang Go The Bells if you really dig that music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNyaj-9IrIg
05.08.2010 - 03:46
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Man I love Lizzy Borden aside from good tunes they give badass shows, with Strippers theatrics and everything, I guess it all comes with Shock rock huh?
- Notorious
- Hell is for Heroes
16.11.2010 - 07:17
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
The 80's were one of the best times for music some songs that I think are brilliant are

Skid Row - 18 and Life
Cinderella - Nobody's Fool
Dokken - It's Not Love
Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the moon
and too many more to list
16.11.2010 - 11:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"Youth Gone Wild" by Skid Row was one of the greatest 80's rock anthems! The 80's were probably the ultimate decade, as far as catchy anthems are concerned! lol Here's some more:

Def Leppard - Rocket
Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
W.A.S.P. - Wild Child
Queensryche - I Don't Believe In Love
Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For A Hero (Short Circuit 2!)
Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name, Livin On A Prayer
Ozzy Osbourne - Shot In The Dark
Queen - I Want It All
ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man
Tesla - Comin' Atcha Live
Van Halen - Jump
Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
28.11.2010 - 05:47
npk

Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever
----