Metal Storm logo
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - Children Of The Dark Waters review

Reviewer:

352 users:
Band: Eternal Tears Of Sorrow
Album: Children Of The Dark Waters
Release date: May 2009

01. Angelheart, Ravenheart (Act II: Children Of The Dark Waters)
02. Baptized By The Blood Of Angels
03. Tears Of Autumn Rain
04. Summon The Wild
05. Sea Of Whispers
06. Midnight Bird
07. Diary Of Demonic Dreams
08. When The Darkest Night Falls
09. Nocturne Thule
10. Sea Of Whispers (Acoustic Reprise) [European Digipack bonus]
11. Vilda Mánnu [Japanese bonus]
12. Sea Of Whispers (Karaoke Version) [Japanese bonus]

These days almost every single band labels their newest record as 'the heaviest/ most dynamic or the best album they've ever done', a comment that leaves most fans with a sceptic aftertaste. We've all heard that line before, in some cases it's proven to be true? but in others it's non-existent. In an industry where nowadays hundreds of musicians rise to the occasion, there is little variation in the scene. New bands recycle old ideas and cover lack of experience with top notch production, where as the older bands stick to their old ways and pump out records that have either been done by them before or done by someone else who's done it better.

With a cynical view like that, I suppose that most metal music nowadays have become stagnant and uninspiring? To an extent that is true, though there are still a few musicians out there that keep reinventing their style, perfecting it.

One such a band is Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, from Finland. Not as well-known as (yet) Nightwish, Amorphis or Children Of Bodom, but a band that has been around for just as long or even longer than others. Eternal Tears Of Sorrow's latest record, Children Of The Dark Waters is as extreme and energetic as you can get in the true sense of the genre, 'Melodic Death Metal'.

The guitar playing is razor sharp and precise, cutting away at you with each riff - whereas R. Ruuth's solos are even more melodic, varied and better phrased than on Before the Bleeding Sun. What also makes this particular album special is the fact that three of the nine songs still feature ex-drummer, P. Sankala, whereas the other six are handled by new drummer, J. Raappana (ex- Catamenia) who executes them with sheer skill and technicality - Recommended tracks: "Summon The Wild", "Diary Of Demonic Dreams" and "Nocturne Thule'"

A. Veteläinen's unique growls are more ferocious and defined then ever and are a beautiful contrast to Jarmo Kylmänen's melodic singing. Kylmänen delivers some excellent singing on songs such as "Sea Of Whispers", "Diary Of Demonic Dreams" as well as "Nocturne Thule". Before The Bleeding Sun heard Eternal Tears Of Sorrow going a more symphonic route then on older records, and Children Of The Dark Waters is no exception. With female vocals and huge choirs it sets Eternal Tears Of Sorrow apart from other 'similar' acts.

J. Tolsa has the most beautiful keyboard tones and passages and gives Eternal Tears Of Sorrow's music that needed touch; it blends in perfectly on top of the other instruments, also adding a dark and epic atmosphere which makes Eternal Tears Of Sorrow's songs sound huge in scope.

Finally, the whole 'package' is rounded of with the artistic skills of Travis Smith who was also responsible for the art of Before The Bleeding Sun. In conclusion Children Of The Dark Waters is Eternal Tears Of Sorrow's best record and a recommended buy for any fan or new listener. With a fine collection of songwriters and their latest effort hitting the Finnish charts at #19, the future of the band and their music seems very promising.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by HBrandr | 17.09.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 208 users
17.09.2009 - 18:27
Rating: 7
Janne
Hugin
I've got the CD a week ago!!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.09.2009 - 19:49
Rating: 8
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Thios was good. Not quite as good as Before the Bleeding sun, but good. What I did like was the increase in symphonic elements (which they wern't exactly straying from in their last album), but something about the other instruments just didint seemt o jump out foir me this time. The formula just got boring after the midway point, or maybe the first couple of tracks are so over-the top (in a good way) that the rest of the album burns itself out.
17.09.2009 - 21:33
Rating: 4
Fhuesc

Nice review, but i think that is a little overrated, and this is not "best record and a recommended buy for any fan", more like for those who loved BTBS and like a slower music.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
17.09.2009 - 22:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This is my least favorite Tears album (although I have yet to hear their debut release), next to Before the Bleeding Sun. As for recommending it as their best release, I feel like that responsibility should be given to A Virgin and a Whore.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.09.2009 - 00:50
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by Fhuesc on 17.09.2009 at 21:33

Nice review, but i think that is a little overrated, and this is not "best record and a recommended buy for any fan", more like for those who loved BTBS and like a slower music.

Thank you for the compliment... it might be a little overrated, however I believe it is their best record to date (I know that the band agrees on that) and what I meant by 'a recommended buy for any fan', I was implying for the fans of Eternal Tears of Sorrow's music, regardless of their 'sound' or line-up changes. Their musicianship is still fully intact and has matured a lot, and I can't agree on your comment of 'like a slower music'. There are slow and faster songs on all of Eternal Tears of Sorrow's records. For example on the latest two records, songs such as "Last Rune of Thunder", "Diary of Demonic Dreams" and "Nocturne Thule".

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.09.2009 at 22:23

This is my least favorite Tears album (although I have yet to hear their debut release), next to Before the Bleeding Sun. As for recommending it as their best release, I feel like that responsibility should be given to A Virgin and a Whore.

I recommended this album, because in my opinion the band has progressed a lot since the days of A Virgin and a Whore, aforementioned album being great and all, it's evident in the songs/ sound that everything from Before the Bleeding Sun has more energy. It's quite a general feeling that A Virgin and a Whore is Eternal Tears of Sorrow's best record, but as a matter a fact Chaotic Beauty is a much stronger progression on Vilda Mánnu, then A Virgin and A Whore is on Chaotic Beauty, but that's just my opinion.
18.09.2009 - 02:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I would say this falls into the same rating as Vilda Mannu for me. I definitely agree with Chaotic Beauty being more of a step up from that album than AVAW from Chaotic Beauty. But this most recent release seems too easy. I know you pointed out its originality and keyboard genius, but I can't seem to get on that boat you're driving. Obviously this isn't a "my opinion is right and yours is wrong" claim, more or less I just don't like the outcome of comparing their older material with this. I'm sure I'll learn to appreciate it in time, like most albums, but for now I'm content with saying this is a good album, nothing more.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.09.2009 - 06:39
Sunioj

Meh, I think its a solid release. Not that it topples 'Before the Bleeding Sun', but its indeed very enjoyable in terms of ETOS signature style. I'd say its more like a 7 for me.
18.09.2009 - 09:24
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Good to see a review on the album, but I probably have a bit less praise for it than you maybe. It's unmistakeably Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, and for me, miles better than the band's previous album, which I cannot stand. But I don't think it tops Vilda Mannu or Chaotic Beauty for me, and only "Summon The Wild" I'd consider a new ETOS classic. I do enjoy this album a lot, though I can forever deal without most of the clean singing on this album. The band is so much more interesting in their more extreme, faster moments.

Glad to see the band becoming interesting again, though
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
18.09.2009 - 14:14
HBrandr
Account deleted
I don't know if any of you will agree with me, but after careful listening to the track; "Midnight Bird", it reminds me a little of "Coronach" from Vilda Mánnu - it has that older/ classic Eternal Tears of Sorrow sound to it, which I really like.
18.09.2009 - 16:55
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I think the album's best element is the wide variety of styles played, it should have been mentioned. While some tracks are clearly Symphonic Power Metal, others are more in the line of Extreme Power countrymates Children Of Bodom. Summon the Wild is definetely my favourite, you seriously could mistake it for Dimmu Borgir, particularly the keyboards.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
19.09.2009 - 06:43
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Guest on 18.09.2009 at 14:14

I don't know if any of you will agree with me, but after careful listening to the track; "Midnight Bird", it reminds me a little of "Coronach" from Vilda Mánnu - it has that older/ classic Eternal Tears of Sorrow sound to it, which I really like.

Yes, that's exactly how I described that song to a friend of mine who asked me how the new ETOS album sounded Definitely one of the highlight tracks for me on the new album; anything that sounds like Coronach or Burning Flames' Embrace is excellent IMO.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
14.12.2009 - 17:17
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I absolutly love this album, i have it and it one of those albums that u cant stop listening to. Its a beautiful peice of art in a death metal band.
15.12.2009 - 11:48
InnerSelf
proofread free
I wouldn't even consider giving it 8
it might be enjoyable on the first couple of listens but then it gets boooooooooooring
a good album overall but 9.5 ... I don't think so
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.12.2009 - 18:10
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 15.12.2009 at 11:48

it might be enjoyable on the first couple of listens but then it gets boooooooooooring

That's totally your opinion, I gave it 9.5 because I actually enjoy EToS' music.
The rating is 9.5 compared to their other releases - and the rating is only a number system
which has its shortcomings.

Either you like the record or you don't, don't get 'stuck' on the rating I gave it.
If you find it 'boring' then you'll have to evaluate what you're looking for in music... as far
as I'm concerned (and most of the users on this thread) it's more then entertaining for
the 45mins worth of music.
16.12.2009 - 11:03
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 15.12.2009 at 18:10

Written by InnerSelf on 15.12.2009 at 11:48

That's totally your opinion, I gave it 9.5 because I actually enjoy EToS' music.
The rating is 9.5 compared to their other releases - and the rating is only a number system
which has its shortcomings.

Either you like the record or you don't, don't get 'stuck' on the rating I gave it.
If you find it 'boring' then you'll have to evaluate what you're looking for in music... as far
as I'm concerned (and most of the users on this thread) it's more then entertaining for
the 45mins worth of music.

It is just that it doesn't carry any sense of originality
and don't "evaluate what you're looking for in music" me , everyone has his own taste and considering the music you like to be the best is just wrong
anyway I did not say that it is a bad album . indeed it is well produced ,performed and well written but the fact that I heard the same kind of stuff before was kinda turn-off
----
is not bold enough
16.12.2009 - 16:56
HBrandr
Account deleted
"and don't "evaluate what you're looking for in music" me , everyone has his own taste and considering the music you like to be the best is just wrong
anyway I did not say that it is a bad album"

I never said the music I like is the best, obviously you nitpicked what I said and felt offended. I have all the right to say you should evaluate what you're looking for in music, because if you didn't find this album that original but you gave the new Draconian (which I also like) and Amon Amarth 9 and 10 amongst others then obviously those bands appeal more to you. They have also brought out music that still sound the same as albums they did before, and aren't very original themselves.

So you're right in saying that it's a matter of taste, but then don't come and write something like "I wouldn't give it a 8, let alone a 9"... that's irrelevant, otherwise I can just as well go through your entire list and say the same thing, that doesn't say anything worth while.
22.12.2009 - 14:09
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 16.12.2009 at 16:56

"and don't "evaluate what you're looking for in music" me , everyone has his own taste and considering the music you like to be the best is just wrong
anyway I did not say that it is a bad album"

I never said the music I like is the best, obviously you nitpicked what I said and felt offended. I have all the right to say you should evaluate what you're looking for in music, because if you didn't find this album that original but you gave the new Draconian (which I also like) and Amon Amarth 9 and 10 amongst others then obviously those bands appeal more to you. They have also brought out music that still sound the same as albums they did before, and aren't very original themselves.

So you're right in saying that it's a matter of taste, but then don't come and write something like "I wouldn't give it a 8, let alone a 9"... that's irrelevant, otherwise I can just as well go through your entire list and say the same thing, that doesn't say anything worth while.

And here we go
I gave Amon Amarth's 2008 an 8 "not 9" because it was not original , Amon Amarth's 2006 clearly deserves a high mark for it is an exceptional release
Draconian did a new thing in there 2008 release and progressed since their last release
EToS did a good job with this release but I insist that it HAS been done before
----
is not bold enough
18.05.2011 - 16:55
Milena
gloom cookie
Wow, the bashing O_O Ratings are personal guys. Nicely written review dude, keep the good work up
----
7.0 means the album is good
18.05.2011 - 23:39
Tanorlith
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 18.05.2011 at 16:55

Wow, the bashing O_O Ratings are personal guys. Nicely written review dude, keep the good work up

Thank you very much
19.05.2011 - 00:55
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 18.05.2011 at 23:39

Written by Milena on 18.05.2011 at 16:55

Thank you very much

Well really, if people think their opinion is the one that matters, they should write their own review with their own personal rating attached to it And the writing style here is much better than on the other EToS review here.
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 6423 | This month: 10