Metal Storm logo
Drudkh - Пісні Скорботи I Самітності (Songs Of Grief And Solitude) review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

105 users:
Band: Drudkh
Album: Пісні Скорботи I Самітності (Songs Of Grief And Solitude)
Style: Contemporary folk
Release date: October 2006

01. Sunset In Carpathians
02. Tears Of Gods
03. Archaic Dance
04. The Milky Way
05. Why The Sun Becomes Sad
06. The Cranes Will Never Return Here
07. Grey-Haired Steppe

After four releases of great atmospheric Black Metal, Ukrainian band Drudkh decided it was for time for a change. They laid down there electric guitars and distortion peddles and grabbed nothing but an acoustic guitar, some weird folk instruments and a sparse use of drums. Nothing more. The news that Drudkh would release an all-acoustic album evoked different sorts of reactions in the metal community. Would these fine Black Metal musicians be able to pull this off or would they fail miserably? Now, when I am holding this courageous offering in my hands they, as much as I hate to say it, failed.

The main problem of this album is easy to put into words: it has a serious lack of progression. Most of the songs contain some great acoustic folk parts, really enjoyable to listen to. They all sound like intro's of a great song that is about to unfold. However, that great song never unfolds. And with this fact, "Songs Of Grief And Solitude" stays nothing more than an ambitious project, a compilation of good ideas without an essential climax. This album has made a lot of spins in my cd-player since I bought it and every time I hear it I get sad. Not because of the great atmosphere on this album but because of what it could have been. For example, a song like "Archaic Dance" sounds so bloody awesome, riff after riff. And when it has finished, I remember nothing of it. There is no clue, no slow building of climaxes that the other Drudkh releases have in such a magnificent way.

So definitely these songs bring me a feeling of grief. But only because I see this as one of the albums of 2006 with most potential and promises, but with the least in final result. Disappointing.

Written on 10.05.2007 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 140 users
18.09.2009 - 11:33
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I havent heard this yet and from your words i guess i dont need to change it...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.09.2009 - 21:45
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Ellrohir on 18.09.2009 at 11:33

I havent heard this yet and from your words i guess i dont need to change it...

Lucas might have been a little hard on it. while it might not have lived up to what it could have been, it still does have its moments (Why The Sun Becomes Sad) if you like flat out folk, it might appeal to you.

i scored it a 7. could have been better, but i didn't have a lot of built up hype for it to fall short of.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.09.2009 - 22:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hm...your suggested song didnt really tied me to chair...but maybe i will pay this album some more attention one day...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.09.2009 - 15:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Relistening to this album I think Lucas was even generous.
I would have rated it a 4. Like he said all the songs sound like an intro and that's it and even that is all played sloppily.
A waste of good musicians here. Apparently the only thing they can play is atmospheric black metal and that;'s what they should stick to. Even there when they try to speed it uup and try and sound less atmospheric they fail (case in point being The Swan Road imo)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.11.2009 - 08:36
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Its not huuuuge disappointment... its just a different album. I like acoustic/folk/ambient albums. Songs like ''Archaic Dance'', ''The Milky way'' and ''Why the Sun Becomes Sad'' are pretty enjoyable.

It may not have the deepest atmosphere in the world, but has good moments.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
12.10.2010 - 01:45
Rating: 9
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
I understand why most people don't like this album, but look at it this way : if the guitars had distortion, it would sound like a kickass release, rivaling the ones before! They just decided to make it acoustic. And in my opinion, they did a remarkable work.
12.10.2010 - 05:06
Susan
Smeghead
Oh, sad, I think this album is beautiful! I can see how it's not for everyone, though, but as far as acoustic folk goes it's quite well done. Not the most memorable songs as individuals but that's not necessarily a requirement for a good album as much as the general atmosphere is.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.05.2011 - 18:26
Rating: 8
Yugosaki

It's not bad...
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
09.03.2013 - 13:36
Rating: 7
Melilac

Definitely not bad. The comment that songs have a bit unfinished scent in them is true. But that is the last Drudkh album that has good ideas and some originality. And that makes this the last Drudkh albom that's good/worth listening. Some may like some later alboms for "it reminds so much their good alboms" reasons more and this for "it differs so it sucks" reasons less, but I am sure most open-minded people think differently (most, not all. Some just do not like accoustics and some are fans of the typical Drudkh sound). It is worth to give it a try. Rating 7 is fair.

Hits total: 5353 | This month: 2