Metal Storm logo
Friedrich Nietzsche

17.05.2006 - 13:52
Bas
Retired Staff
I am currently reading Thusly Spake Zarathustra, A Book For All And None, part I,
and i must say this is the most brilliant book i have ever read, it´s simply fantastic, from writing style, to wording, to the storyline and to the ideas incorporated in the book, it just doesnt cease to impress me,

please tell me what you think about this man
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
17.05.2006 - 15:07
Daibh
Account deleted
Funny. I've never once thought of Nietzsche as recreation

I do agree though. He was an extremely clever gentleman, whether you agree with the majority of what he has to say, or not. His ideas concerning humanity were, for the time, fresh and vibrant; challenging to those who had themselves been stuck in a loop of monotony and religious fear.

One of my favorite selections of Nietzsche's work (all though I agree that Thusly Spake Zarathustra is one of the finest) is Human, all to Human. A quote from said book, which you might enjoy, is "Error has transformed animals into men; is truth perhaps capable of changing man back into an animal?"

This, and others like it, are just small examples of the mans roving genius; genius that can't be denied even by the opposing side, which, my own personal religious and spiritual beliefs often put me on.

If you haven't already, Bas2, you must read Beyond Good and Evil and the perhaps the lesser known The Wanderer and his Shadow

Cheers.
17.05.2006 - 15:23
Bas
Retired Staff
well to be honest Thusly Spake Zarathustra is the first of his books that ive read, but when i´m through with it i will certainly try to get my hands on some of his other works, i will try to find those two you mentioned, thanks alot
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
17.05.2006 - 15:35
Daibh
Account deleted
No problem, Bas2! I hope your searching proves to be fruitful!

Have a good day.
17.05.2006 - 16:44
Damnated
Churchburner
The problem with Nietzsche and me is, that I simply can't find a book from him. Not a single one. I googled the internet, and went to the local ibrary, but nothing. I really want to read his works(at least some of them), cuz I'm interested in philosophy.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.05.2006 - 03:24
Alouqua
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 17.05.2006 at 16:44

The problem with Nietzsche and me is, that I simply can't find a book from him. Not a single one. I googled the internet, and went to the local ibrary, but nothing. I really want to read his works(at least some of them), cuz I'm interested in philosophy.

I have all their books in my computer but are in spanish! I love this man (Friedrich Nietzsche of course) but Recreation? no way. He was a philosopher, and kind of crazy one...
18.05.2006 - 04:06
Daibh
Account deleted
Quote:

He was a philosopher, and kind of crazy one...

Whom from the ranks of our races greatest philosophers, artisits and poets have not been seen by the masses to have a little crazy in them? The mind of the man we are discussing, was, as an individual being, far beyond the comperhension of the public, now and then. What we don't understand we tend to declare as a figmament of insanity! Same applies to that which we don't agree.
18.05.2006 - 22:47
Sludge
Account deleted
I read Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil and On the Genealogy of Morals. I would never read Nietzsche merely for recreation, I read it for my school work. I must stay I like his style of writing a lot, very poetic. His ideas a very developed, there are hardly and plot holes.
18.05.2006 - 23:12
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Heh, I am studying philosophy at the University but I am clearly more familiar with anglo-american style of philosophy (I don´t really like German philosophers, to be honest) but some of my fellow students know Nietzsche a bit.
What disturbs me about Nietzsche is the quite obvious fact that he relies so much on the ideas borrowed from the robust interpretation of evolution theory, most noteworthy being the idea of survival of the fittest and his quite mysterious concept of "Life". By denying metaphysics coming from Plato he postulates new but equally unjustified Ultimate reality which for him is Life (or Will to Power, which is even more vague concept). Although I quite agree with the "destructive" part of his philosophy, I can´t understand clearly his "constructive" ideas and that is the problem with most of the philosophers. But especially Nietzche.

Anyway, there are actually quite few philosophers who I really respect (Wittgenstein, Whitehead). Nietzsche is not among them. I also can´t stand his ridiculous popularity. As a writer, he´s good, but as a philosopher...meh.
20.05.2006 - 18:52
Avenant
Profane Seraph
haha "God is Dead"... his work is so depressing, but he has some points I can agree with.
But overall? Nah, too negative for my tastes
20.05.2006 - 22:32
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Written by Avenant on 20.05.2006 at 18:52

haha "God is Dead"... his work is so depressing, but he has some points I can agree with.
But overall? Nah, too negative for my tastes

That´s a bit ironic, because Nietzche explicitly supports positive and joyful attitude towards life.
22.05.2006 - 02:38
Icewings
La Luna
well I think that he is very clever and his philosophies are pretty cool , some of them are strange a bit and wit some I don't agree ..but in general he had a great mind and he said many things that I love ..I have read a couple of his books but I will keep reading , and yes he was a controversial man but an influence as well
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
08.08.2006 - 21:28
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Just purchased The Twilight of the Idols, considered by Nietzsche himself like the best introduction to his philosophy. I've been told about him and wanting to read his works for so long... My friends think I'm a bit crazy to read this whereas I've been on holidays for only 2 weeks, but who cares?
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
10.08.2006 - 07:07
Southern Wind
Account deleted
just read my custom title

I don't see Nietzche as a philospher, but as an artist...
10.08.2006 - 18:36
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
I've read parts of "The Antichrist," "The Use and Abuse of History," and "On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense." To be frank, I can't stand him. Mostly for the same reasons that I can't stand Ayn Rand. I'm far too altruistic to relate to anything he has to say. All I got out of anything of his that I read was "If you are not me, then I am better than you."
14.08.2006 - 08:38
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I really know nothing of this topic,but I want to say if there are any prog rock fans on here they should probably know that "Friedrich Nietzsche" is a song by Klaus Schulze off of his X album.
30.08.2006 - 20:05
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
He seems to be a really interesting philosopher and writer
Like 1 year ago I started to read Thusly Spoke Zarathustra, but I stopped soon, because I was reading it at school (not as obligation) and then I lost interest, but I must admit that it was really interesting, the way he writes and of course the thoughts about life's issues.
Now I want to read it again, and I'll do it
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
31.08.2006 - 02:16
GhostofMirth
Account deleted
For anyone who's interested, you can get some of his books for free from the Gutenberg Project. They're all in either English or German, except for one which is in Finnish, and they are just text files, but hey, they're free. So, here's the link: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/n#a779 -- you might have to scroll a bit to find his section, but it's there.
03.09.2006 - 12:46
Basso
Account deleted
Im going to borrow some books of this man at the local library when we study him in our swedish classes.
11.09.2006 - 19:43
HelplessHysteria
Account deleted
I'm not fond of Nietzche. His successor Martin Heidegger is a much better representation of the Existenstialist Philosophy.

Too much of Nietzche is "I'm smart you are stupid". His comment that Christianity is Platonism for the people is ridiculous.
21.03.2007 - 19:01
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Nietzsche is fantastic! I am currently reading the entire works of Friedrich Nietzsche; it was all conveniently packed into one book that I borrowed from a relative who lives in Kansas City. I am already on the third part of Thus Spoke Zarathustra, and allow me to say that Thus Spoke Zarathustra is one of the most brilliant works of literature I have ever read. It is good as both an epic story and an enlightening philosophical masterpiece. Whenever I feel depressed, I just read some of Nietzsche and I feel empowered, allowing me to overcome myself on many occasions. His works have given me the strength to do better in school and have more confidence in my abilities. I recommend that everyone read Friedrich Nietzsche.

On an unrelated note, I want to grow a mustache just like Friedrich Nietzsche.
18.01.2008 - 00:49
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
Quote:
Hope is worst of evils, for it prolongs the torments of men

F. Nietzsche
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
24.09.2017 - 02:40
Drippy.Hippie

A very inspirational figure for me! I love his work. He was a "defacto Satanist" generations before The Church Of Satan was formed.

Check this video out, lol

----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
15.03.2024 - 23:52
Joppe
Steelemeister
I'm not familiar with Nietzsche's literature, because I don't understand german properly and the finnish translations don't seem very appealing to read. What I am really fond of is the Nietzsche's concept of living dangerously, it's something I follow on daily basis and every time I see this quote it seems to send me in right direction in life.

For believe me! — the secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment is: to live dangerously! Build your cities on the slopes of Vesuvius! Send your ships into uncharted seas! Live at war with your peers and yourselves! Be robbers and conquerors as long as you cannot be rulers and possessors, you seekers of knowledge! Soon the age will be past when you could be content to live hidden in forests like shy deer! At long last the search for knowledge will reach out for its due: — it will want to rule and possess, and you with it!
----
My vision is augmented
16.03.2024 - 06:14
Metal Rasputin

I think the most pleasurable and interesting way to read Nietzsche is by reading the books simultaneously with Dostoyevsky's body of work. These two authors lived in the same time and wrote about the same ethical and philosophical subject matters, but as personalities they were pretty much opposite of each other. Nietzsche even knew Dostoyevsky's books and was more or less inspired by them. I had great fun reading this stuff last year.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
16.03.2024 - 23:42
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by Metal Rasputin on 16.03.2024 at 06:14

I think the most pleasurable and interesting way to read Nietzsche is by reading the books simultaneously with Dostoyevsky's body of work. These two authors lived in the same time and wrote about the same ethical and philosophical subject matters, but as personalities they were pretty much opposite of each other. Nietzsche even knew Dostoyevsky's books and was more or less inspired by them. I had great fun reading this stuff last year.

I have read Dostoyevsky's Crime and punishment and Brothers Karamazov in english and the Underground man in finnish, and I can say that these books are rather good, even with old translations. The only issue might be with the outdated words that might cause some misunderstandings -- like I heard only afterwards that the translator was referring to a prostitute while using some completely different term for it.

I'm not sure whether it's the text itself or the translation that shunned me away from Nietzsche's books. Somehow it didn't resonate with myself and I went to read something else.

But if we consider the complexities of the languages, some translations might just lose their zest when it's translated to an another language. Like if we take as example The Last Temptation by Nikos Kazantzakis, the translator points out that it's written in the demotic language, which is not only Greek, but also the language of the peasants. And "it is impossible to reproduce the actual words Kazantzakis used..." like the translator states, it's the only choice we've got unless we learn original languages the books were written in.
----
My vision is augmented
17.03.2024 - 06:06
Metal Rasputin

Written by Joppe on 16.03.2024 at 23:42

I'm not sure whether it's the text itself or the translation that shunned me away from Nietzsche's books. Somehow it didn't resonate with myself and I went to read something else.

Yeah, the books are very difficult and heavy to read, I think partly because his writing style. Nietzsche was a very sickly man and had these creative outbursts, some of his books are more like a collections of aphorisms, short sentences and crazy ramblings, especially The Antichrist. Also Sprach Zarathustra and some of his earlier less impulsive books are way easier to read. But yeah, the translation might also be a big reason why they are so tedious especially in Finnish. Some languages just don't translate well from one to another.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!