Metal Storm logo
Burst - The new kind of metal?

21.07.2006 - 20:44
bangladesh
Burst have a sound that can be associated to Neurosis, Isis or even Opeth is some aspects. Sludge, prog, stoner, Noisecore and mutch more are the influencies of this band.
They begun in Hardcore scene and now they play a kind of music that some insists to call metalcore but others (like me) thing that is like a soup of styles.
It´s also associated to Nasum because of the bassist Jesper Liverood that once plays in Nasum and because of some caotic parts.
What do you think about this? Should be associated to metalcore, to other type or to a new kind of metal?
What do you think about the evolution of this band and theyr influencies?
21.07.2006 - 21:07
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
I haven't listened to any album yet, but I've seen them live as the support act for Opeth. Quite good, really !!!
A soup of styles ? I thought so, too. But twould be better to call them Alternative, rather than metalcore. After all, they're the only ones to make this precise kind of ... er ... mixture.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
21.07.2006 - 22:43
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
New kind of metal? Well, I haven't listened to Burst yet (although after seeing this I plan to) but based on the description bands of this nature do seem to be popping up frequently, which I think is great because I like this sort of stuff quite a bit. I will certainly look into this band.
22.07.2006 - 07:31
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
You know what bothers me is when some band comes up with some new sound, and everybody jumps up and down and raves about whether or not it should be a new genre. I'm not trying to criticize you, InMist, for your suggestion; I just think that when we have technical death metal, symphonic black metal, industrial death metal, doom metal, stoner metal, avantegarde metal, extreme power metal...etc. That's just over catagorization. I was fine with a few basic terms before. But when we've got sub-genres of sub-genres, that's just stupid. People shouldn't try and name every new type of sound out there.

[/rant]
23.07.2006 - 10:48
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.07.2006 at 07:31

You know what bothers me is when some band comes up with some new sound, and everybody jumps up and down and raves about whether or not it should be a new genre. I'm not trying to criticize you, InMist, for your suggestion; I just think that when we have technical death metal, symphonic black metal, industrial death metal, doom metal, stoner metal, avantegarde metal, extreme power metal...etc. That's just over catagorization. I was fine with a few basic terms before. But when we've got sub-genres of sub-genres, that's just stupid. People shouldn't try and name every new type of sound out there.

[/rant]

i second that... however people have been doing it for years and will continue to do so...anyways i've been itching to check out Burst but my record store dont carry their shit
01.09.2006 - 23:02
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
True that there are many more terms now than there were a couple of decades ago, but, then again, Metal has never been so varied as it is now. I do believe that Burst, Isis, Cult Of Luna and similar bands do play a new kind of Metal as well, and, therefore, we should name this new category that has been naturally created.

Anyway, I'm not particularly a fan of the genre, but I think there are better bands than Burst in it and their last album was overrated.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
10.09.2006 - 23:56
Evil-African
Account deleted
I really not care as I LIKE the music. To be honest with I haven't really listen to their music yet. I'm a fair, so I will try to give them a chance to hear their songs. I don't know you guys, I think metal is great just the was it is.
12.09.2006 - 04:46
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Any metal band can come out with a new sub-genre of metal that has bred off of any other sub-genre so I would be all for saying that one single band can single-handedly produce a sound that people may say is a new sub-genre of metal...to say that this Burst band is the new kind of metal might be going too far but to say that they are contributing in producing a new kind of metal together with other bands out there together forcing the same kind of ground-breaking sound is doable...
15.09.2006 - 11:07
helofloki
Account deleted
I don't think that Burst is a new kind of metal at all. To me they really seem to be influenced by that Opeth sound. Kind of like Opeth with hardcore vocals almost. Seriously their music is riddled with Opeth-like gestures. That doesn't mean, however, that burst is not awsome as hell, because burst is for sure awsome as all hell. Really good stuff.
15.09.2006 - 22:33
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Guest on 22.07.2006 at 07:31

well here i would like to point out that it are still a few basic terms which are used, they might be mixed, but in symphonic blackmetal it are still the same basic terms, symphonic and black, aswell as in extreme powermetal, its still the basic terms extreme and power, so it really isnt THAT complicated...

also there just are some bands that cant be described in any other way then that, if you have a band that is too much blackmetal to be considered just symphonic, but too symphonic to be just blackmetal its still easier to call them symphonic black then trying to describe exactly how they sound in your own words then with those few widely known and acknowledged terms,

and i for one like to know what kind of music something is before i listen to it
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
03.10.2006 - 23:44
Remus
Well i'll have to give this Burst a listen but if they'r like Cult of Luna or Opeth i will probably dislike them. What the hell's "Noisecore" anyway?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
05.10.2006 - 18:41
bangladesh
It´s hard to explain but try to think that Noisecore is like noisegrind that is a caothic but very technical grind. Think in The dillinger escape plan (that plays mathcore). But remember that Burst don´t play this kind of music, it´s only one of their influencies.
07.11.2008 - 12:25
Firaga
Okey who put Metalcore in the Music Style of Burst???!?!?!?! That......."person" should be buried alive!!!!
07.11.2008 - 12:26
Firaga
And Nycto....I agree with you. Burst it's just Burst...like Mastodon it's Mastodon.....
07.11.2008 - 13:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Firaga on 07.11.2008 at 12:25

Okey who put Metalcore in the Music Style of Burst???!?!?!?! That......."person" should be buried alive!!!!

They do play metalcore, albeit very good metalcore, but metalcore nonetheless.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.11.2008 - 18:50
benvolent
I've got no idea, what they will sound like, because these thousands of categories just confuse me, but I will definitely try them! Anyway it seems to me, that comparing a band with others or listing influences is much more helpful than all these extreme noisecore-metal fucking hybrid-terms...
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
08.11.2008 - 01:41
Firaga
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.11.2008 at 13:48

Written by Firaga on 07.11.2008 at 12:25

They do play metalcore, albeit very good metalcore, but metalcore nonetheless.

Why try to figure out what Burst plays? It's just different.........and certeinly not metalcore dude:nono:
08.11.2008 - 19:17
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Agreed, It's no metalcore. It's often called post-hardcore, but it's not that great a definition either.
I'll just call them 'progressive' like Textures, for example

And I just bought Lazarus Bird yesterday, it's really great, much much better than Origo (which wasn't bad at all)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
08.11.2008 - 23:21
benvolent
Written by bangladesh on 21.07.2006 at 20:44

What do you think about this? Should be associated to metalcore, to other type or to a new kind of metal?

Concerning new types or styles of metal I just want to remind you the early reactions on Mastodon - the review of their first album <Remission> is a good example for the (over)expectations, which some of us may have towards a band, when there is spoken of an album, which will change our "way to see metal". The very same guy calls Mastodon emoish in his review to <Blood Mountain>. IMO it's still Mastodon, but they are just special and don't make it easy to categorize them. They definitely changed my view of metal - and my listening habitudes -, but nowadays there are no bands, which really have influence on the whole genre. So Burst!
----
04.12.2008 - 04:00
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
I'd definitely call them prog over any other the other labels... pretty solid from waht I've heard on the myspace etc.

The vocal's aren't my favorite, but maybe it'll grow on me as I listen more... but otherwise they are pretty cool
04.12.2008 - 14:35
VPeter
Burst was the first metalcore band I heard and despite being better then crap like Killswitch Engage I still dislike it.
04.03.2009 - 15:51
benvolent
I saw the guys recently as co-headliners in Vienna, and was quite courious about them, but their live-show was a big disappointment - there were several times during the concert, when they nearly broke up playing, because the communication between the bandmates didn't work. So it seemed, that they are not really sure in what and how they play it. In one word: unprofessional.

+ the shouter-dude tried to teach the crowd, how to headbang - you just can't bring that, dude!!
----
05.03.2009 - 03:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I voted for these guys in the awards. From what I've heard, the new album is way better than the last - it even reminds me of Mastodon a little.
12.07.2010 - 18:27
The Turbanator
Oh god! Lazarus Bird album is a fucking win! I love this,
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!