Album: At The Heart Of Winter
Release date: February 1999

01. Withstand The Fall Of Time
02. Solarfall
03. Tragedies Blows At Horizon
04. Where Dark And Light Don't Differ
05. At The Heart Of Winter
06. Years Of Silent Sorrow

Have you ever heard of a black metal fan who doesn't like (or at least, admits to not liking) Immortal? Well, I happen to be one of those fans. I was never able to really like Immortal's mixture of thrash and black metal, which was present even on their earliest albums (although, far less than now) despite them being constantly labelled as pure black. Sure, there had always been a song or two that once entered my head, couldn't get out of there for days. But, in the overall, they are not really interesting to me. And here it is, their perhaps most highly praised release, At The Heart of Winter. I was so anxious to hear it. "Who knows, maybe it will change my opinion about them", I thought. Well, it most certainly didn't.

Not only did Immortal not get more "black" with this release, but instead, they even made it their most thrashy and technical release up to date. No filthy production, no tremolo picking, no blast beats... Yes, this is not a black metal release, this is a slightly blackened thrash album. Now, you might be thinking why the heck I am making such a big deal about the genre of the album. "If it sounds good, who the hell cares what genre it is?!", right? Perhaps so, but that is the easiest and most elaborate way for me to explain what kind of music it is. You see, I think that the very reason of Immortal being so popular is the very reason I don't like them. That strange mixture of black and thrash. Well, in this album the thrash factor is taken to a really high level. The album is mostly based around a mid tempo, with Abbath's usual vocal style somewhere on the line between shrieks and growls, and catchy, powerful guitar riffs. Or at least, that's what they should have been like.

Unfortunately, I have to say that this part of the album has been screwed. Immortal took a wrong turn somewhere, and in their attempt to make a memorable, catchy, yet heavy album, they just made one that mostly feels like a dragged, uninspired mess. I'm sorry, I know how much people like this thing, but I can't escape the feeling that the idea of how this album should have sounded like was realized in a poor way. Some songs are undeniably good. "Solarfall" is the best on the album, and if they had done the rest like they did that one, it would have been excellent. Sadly, the vast majority is just so without emotions, without feeling, so... generic. To prove my point better, let us compare my loved "Solarfall" to, say, "Years of Silent Sorrow". The beginning riff on the first of the compared is so damn catchy, so memorable, powerful, full of energy. It just makes you want to stand up, and get to jumping and head-banging. The second one is just full of riffs that will bore you. It neither has the catchiness and energy a thrash metal song should, nor the cold, evil, morbid atmosphere a black metal song should. Somewhat simplistic notes repeated over and over again that just go over your head is something unforgivable in a release by Immortal. The same goes for the vast majority of tracks, with some exceptions, of course.

This review has been hard for me. I was constantly striving to see just what is so good about this album, even from a standpoint of an Immortal fan. I failed. I might even go as far as calling it the weakest effort of the band. Even though I might not like what Immortal does, they deserve credit for successfully blending the two mentioned genres, and making a practically a new one. Not here. Were it not for Abbath's characteristic vocals, and that usual way the group tune their guitars, I would have sworn this was not their release. You might think I'm being too harsh. Well, I sure am. If this really wasn't a release of the one Immortal, the album would have been good, maybe even very good. But Immortal proved that they can and must do so much better than this.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Slayer666 | 28.09.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
wormdrink414
Rating:
I'm afraid I lack the linguistic resources to clearly explain what makes the album the work of genius that it is, so I will be brief and remain vague. Luckily there is very little that needs to be written about this album. It has been around for a decade and has developed a sufficient following to articulate its greatness. Any fan of black metal, or indeed metal in general, should find this album, buy it or steal it, and worship it.

Read more ››
published 05.10.2009 | Comments (27)

Comments

Comments: 63   Visited by: 246 users
28.09.2009 - 10:16
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
You can never be too harsh in a review... as long as you are giving valid reasons like you have done (nice comparisons). It's always refreshing to hear a different perspective.

"It neither has the catchiness and energy a thrash metal song should, nor the cold, evil, morbid atmosphere a black metal song should."

So I guess that adds to the originality?
28.09.2009 - 11:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am quite into black metal and found nothing very special about Immortal either
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.09.2009 - 12:51
Slayer666

Written by Introspekrieg on 28.09.2009 at 10:16

"It neither has the catchiness and energy a thrash metal song should, nor the cold, evil, morbid atmosphere a black metal song should."

So I guess that adds to the originality?

Hehe, something like that, I suppose...
28.09.2009 - 13:22
Baz Anderson

And so at 15 years of age, and by the sounds of it only just started to listen to Immortal - you write this as if you are some expert on the band.

It gets to me when people try to shake things up and re-write history... "At The Heart Of Winter" not a black metal album? You're having a laugh.
Just because it doesn't sound exactly like "In The Nightside Eclipse" or "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" doesn't make it not a black metal album.
28.09.2009 - 13:30
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
At the Heart of Winter isn't their thrashiest album - Damned in Black is. But regardless, this album deserves a much higher rating. Also, the fact that you say that the mid-tempo of it makes it thrash is also concerning because black metal isn't about blast beats.

Weakest effort of the band? No way.
28.09.2009 - 14:04
Slayer666

Written by Baz Anderson on 28.09.2009 at 13:22

And so at 15 years of age, and by the sounds of it only just started to listen to Immortal - you write this as if you are some expert on the band.

I know almost all of their work, I didn't start liestening to them just now. I said, I never liked it too much. And I was trying really hard to.
In fact, one of the first metal songs I've ever heard would be "Grim And Frostbitten Kingdoms" from Battles In The North.

Quote:

It gets to me when people try to shake things up and re-write history... "At The Heart Of Winter" not a black metal album? You're having a laugh.
Just because it doesn't sound exactly like "In The Nightside Eclipse" or "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" doesn't make it not a black metal album.

OK, so what is it that makes this a black metal album? Enlighten me.
28.09.2009 - 15:01
Baz Anderson

Written by Slayer666 on 28.09.2009 at 14:04

No, I won't. Maybe someone else will, but I'm not going to bother when it comes to stupid things like this.
28.09.2009 - 15:16
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Imagery, lyrics, sound, music style, pretty much everything...
28.09.2009 - 16:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This album is black metal (with scattered thrash influences), but the explanation in your review was nullified by the fact that you came in like an elitist and expected to hear A Blaze in the Northern Sky. Look to Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom (1990), which mixes grind and black metal.

Just because a black metal band plays music with influences from another genre doesn't mean it isn't "tr00".

Not that I'm much older than you, but I've had more time to experiment with black metal. Other bands you should have listened to/familiarized yourself with before judging these stalwarts with the "false" label: Absu, Anaal Nathrakh, Deströyer 666, Dissection, Sarcófago, Dark Medieval Times-era Satyricon... All of these bands are considered by most accounts to be black metal, yet they are all influenced (in some cases heavily) by other genres.

And as pyroleprechaun stated, black metal is about the image of the band, the lyrical content, the sound of the music, and composition. Immortal are a black metal outfit by all accounts, and this album is no exception.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.09.2009 - 19:23
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
One of their best album imo! And the thrash features are not that evident as in some of their other albums.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
28.09.2009 - 20:48
Slayer666

Written by Baz Anderson on 28.09.2009 at 15:01

No, I won't. Maybe someone else will, but I'm not going to bother when it comes to stupid things like this.

Wow. Truly impressive... I admire your talent at showing-off. Well done, really majestic. How do you do it?

@TheKillJoy
Yes, I understand what you're saying, but it is my opinion that this album has been influenced by thrash far too much. Image and lyrics are not the only things that determine a genre of a band/album, and this one has musicaly lost a great deal of what makes a BM release.
And I can't belive that people like this album so much! What do you see in it? Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism, Sons of Northren Darkness, Battles in The North , all this kicks At The Heart of Winter's ass so much it's uncomparable.
28.09.2009 - 21:48
Rating: 10
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
Strange, you say that you don't like Immortal... That's ok, I can respect that even though I really like them. And you call that album their weakest effort... Ok, I can respect that too, even if I think that you are terribly, terribly wrong... But still you rated it with 7,5... That means that you would give all their other albums at least 8 and 8.5 or even more (which means "very good", near brilliant by Metalstorm standards)... But you still don't like them? I know some people say that review is more important than final rating, but I disagree... Rate albums that final rating will fit with the whole review or don't rate them at all and just give it N/A (which I noticed is quite popular currently)... And you should probably lower your obviously extremly high standards...
28.09.2009 - 22:03
Slayer666

Written by Silent Creeper on 28.09.2009 at 21:48

Strange, you say that you don't like Immortal... That's ok, I can respect that even though I really like them. And you call that album their weakest effort... Ok, I can respect that too, even if I think that you are terribly, terribly wrong... But still you rated it with 7,5... That means that you would give all their other albums at least 8 and 8.5 or even more (which means "very good", near brilliant by Metalstorm standards)... But you still don't like them? I know some people say that review is more important than final rating, but I disagree... Rate albums that final rating will fit with the whole review or don't rate them at all and just give it N/A (which I noticed is quite popular currently)... And you should probably lower your obviously extremly high standards...

The final rating is the final result of the four ratings ie. (Performane + Songwriting + Originality + Production) /4. That's how I do it. And in this part I try to be as less subjective as possilbe, although being completely objective is immposible.
29.09.2009 - 13:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I can respect the review since the dude put some good points... And also Immortal isn't a band I'm feel very close to..

But saying that this album ain't BM is like this dude saying that it's not wood:

Everyone to each own I guess, But I still say it's very strange to say the least to call this album "not BM,"...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.09.2009 - 18:54
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Oh boy... genre defining battles
29.09.2009 - 20:31
Rating: 8
lord artan

I LOVE THIS ALBUM
30.09.2009 - 01:35
Rating: 7
iMorphball

Great album! How is this not Black Metal!? This album has everything that makes a black metal album good!
30.09.2009 - 08:08
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Wow, stop writing reviews for a few years kid. The editor of Decibel magazine said not too long ago that when he first heard Focus by Cynic during the early nineties he hated it and dismissed the band because of the weird vocals. He then proceeded to comment on what an idiot he was for not realizing the majesty of that album. I think, oneday, you will look back on this album and think the same thing. There have been so many metal bands that I didn't like on the first or even fifth listen but I love now. As you get older and delve deeper into metal your tastes will expand and mature, as well as how you formulate your opinions.
01.10.2009 - 18:35
Motionless

That happens when you rate an album which is considered a masterpiece from the first day of its release with a poor 7.5. The genre and the influences are irrelevant. In fact the review is irrelevant. The album is a masterpiece (although not a huge fan of immortal either)
01.10.2009 - 18:38
Motionless

By the way I saw them live at Rockwave festival in Athens 1998 touring for the album. They were amazing at the live. The corpsepaint was allover the place because of the 40 degrees oC.LOL
01.10.2009 - 22:13
Slayer666

Written by Motionless on 01.10.2009 at 18:35

That happens when you rate an album which is considered a masterpiece from the first day of its release with a poor 7.5. The genre and the influences are irrelevant. In fact the review is irrelevant. The album is a masterpiece (although not a huge fan of immortal either)

Can you please explain why? What is so good about it? I just don't get it. Every, and I mean every Immortal's release beats this one, the way I see it.
02.10.2009 - 14:14
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
What an unfair rating! I'm not saying that from an expert's perspective for i'm not. Just find this album quite good.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
02.10.2009 - 17:45
Motionless

Written by Slayer666 on 01.10.2009 at 22:13

Can you please explain why? What is so good about it? I just don't get it. Every, and I mean every Immortal's release beats this one, the way I see it.

Great riffs, atmosphere melodies, Concrete heavy metal. It is simple if you don't like the album its a matter of your personal taste and there is nothing wrong about that. You can like whatever you want. Generally speaking this album is considered by many many people great. So if you come out and say bla bla 7.5 for a classic release... Write a review better for something that you really like.
02.10.2009 - 18:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Motionless on 02.10.2009 at 17:45

Write a review better for something that you really like.

No way, I'm actually with Slayer666 on this one. He and all the reviewers can write what the hell they want as long as it has it's points well written. Slayer666 did a good job explaining why HE doesn't like the album [and c'mon 7,5 isn't that bad...it's halfway to very good]. There are tons of reviews full of 10's and 2's but without a real explanation. He put his explanations well enough.

The only thing I totally disagree with the review is that he says this album ain't Black Metal. And I think that's just silly but it's his opinion.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.10.2009 - 19:39
Slayer666

Written by Motionless on 02.10.2009 at 17:45

Written by Slayer666 on 01.10.2009 at 22:13

Great riffs, atmosphere melodies, Concrete heavy metal. It is simple if you don't like the album its a matter of your personal taste and there is nothing wrong about that. You can like whatever you want. Generally speaking this album is considered by many many people great. So if you come out and say bla bla 7.5 for a classic release... Write a review better for something that you really like.

Burzum has atmosphere, Mayhem has atmosphere, Emperor has atmosphere, early Darkthrone, Gorgoroth and Satyricon have it, and so do most Immortal's albums (not to mention many other bands). This? Nope. The atmosphere is a number one priority for me, on any release. I just didn't feel it here, except for 3-4 minutes throughout the entire album.
Those great riffs you are talking about are as rare as penguins here in Serbia. There are some, undeniably, but most are simple and generic and serve to no other purpose but to fill empty space.
So, according to you, people should only write reviews about the stuff that they like? Is this supposed to be a fanboy site or something? If everyone wrote only about the stuff they liked, every album would be rated a 9-10, every album would be perfect and whatnot...
02.10.2009 - 20:57
Motionless

Anyway you do not like this album. It is clear. By the way 15 year old listening to 2nd wave of black metal? I admire your musical orientation. It is not a fanboy site you are write. I liked your lymbonic art review. Here we do not agree.
03.10.2009 - 23:40
Rating: 10
Passe

The whole review is a troll done by a narrow-minded kid.
04.10.2009 - 00:56
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Passe on 03.10.2009 at 23:40

Wouldn't narrow-minded be agreeing with everyone that it is a great album, even though he doesn't like it? He is thinking for himself...

Although I personally think this album has a lot of good atmospheric parts...
04.10.2009 - 14:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

WHy is this revie3w a troll done by a narrow-minded kid? Just because you disagree?
Hell, I disagree with this review as well (although not the rating really, cause 7.5 denotes it still be very good) but that doesn't make him narrow-minded.

I see this all the time people who just can't grasp the word narrow-minded (like you)

Narrow-minded means you're NOT willing to give something a chance.
Open-minded doesn't mean you have to like everything.

I dislike loads of music but that does not mean I am narrow-minded. I am actually very open-minded cause I am willing to give everything a chance on its own merits.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.10.2009 - 16:36
Slayer666

Thanks for your constructive criticism. It really means a lot, specially coming from an Immortal fanboy,

Hits total: 11198 | This month: 22