Album: Drone Nightmares II - Buried Burnt Earth
Release date: March 2009

01. Buried Burnt Earth

Drone/Ambient
Recorded: Hellries Studios, Belgium 2009
Unsigned/Self-released
Total Running Time: 50:00

The void is out there.

From the deepest and darkest burrows of the Belgian underground, comes Yhdarl. These installments of the "Drone Nightmares" are all single-mindedly devoted to ambient soundscapes. To being dispersed in vapor form, air-freshener-wise. This second, colorless nightmare is a trip to absolute nothingness. Homage to being totally enraptured by cataclysmal drone mayhem. Lifeless, through and through. That is what it wants to be, and that is what it is. Lifeless.

The weight of listening to the sound of a big empty space is enormous.

At first I intended to compare this album to a fifty-minute-long, excessively unchanging lullaby. Later on I realized this was fundamentally wrong. This isn't like falling asleep. It's far, far worse. This is a free-fall plunge into the void itself. Like an overdose of benzodiazepines after living a whole week on a liquid ecstasy-only diet.

Listening to Buried Burnt Earth can be pictured best as listening to the extremely monotonous chant of a faceless Siren: in a weird way very alluring and addictive but also deadly uncomfortable. It's like an entirely abandoned Titanic slowly sinking into a hermetically sealed, desolate dark swamp.

The void is out there. Buried Burnt Earth is its business card.

EPILOGUE: Once, I was enjoying Buried Burnt Earth. Suddenly, without any warning, it was over and Firewind's "You Have Survived" kicked in. Pretty applicable, sure. But the abrupt changeover scared the shit out of me. At that instant, I knew what noise pollution was. True story.

Written by Thryce | 28.09.2009

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 53 users
29.09.2009 - 17:44
nb

Nice review, I the way you describe the music. However I don't know if I would like this type of music.
30.09.2009 - 12:36
silenius

Love ambitient crazy-as atmospheric music so will check this out
24.06.2011 - 23:45
Milena
gloom cookie
Hah, once I was falling asleep to Apocalyptica's "Oh Holy Night" and then Korpiklaani's "Journey Man" kicked in and then I thought of noise pollution too
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 4918 | This month: 7