Metal Storm logo
Split Releases

22.07.2006 - 12:58
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
in your opinion:

How worthwhile are split releases?

they are a good thing because 15 minute long CD's tend to go for the same price as a full-length album, but by 2 bands putting out music together on one disc means that someone can buy a bands EP and get a bunch of extra tracks by another band that they may like and probably pay the same price that a short Ep by one band would cost. They are also a way of discovering new bands whether it be because you actually by the cd, or whether you decide to check out the other band just because you heard they had a split release with a band you like.

on the other hand, split releases often consist of stuff that is inferior to the main album releases and therefore ends up on a less significant release. or sometimes you even get bands putting out split releases with tracks that have also appeared on other releases.

and how useful do you think that split releases are nowadays when people can download whatever they want anyway? if a band you liked stated in an interview that they liked a certain band, then you might go download some stuff by that band anyway.split releases used to be a way to introduce people to bands they may not have heard but now that people can download 50 albums a day are split releases less useful?

so, yeah. discuss. have you been introduced to new bands in this way that you ended up being a big fan of (only example i can think of for me is hearing portal because they did a split release with rites of thy degringolade), how worthwhile are they and have they been made less useful now that people can illegally download most things in minutes.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
22.07.2006 - 13:25
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
They're cool to have, like that Dark Funeral/Von split, but not actually worth having
Especially that Old Man's Child/Dimmu Borgier, I don't think anyone needed to hear the same Celtic Frost song covered twice, actually, it's really not worth having besides that. A semi good cover.

EDIT: I'm sorry I just posted that, but I really don't have anything else to say, and I don't think I've ever bought a split album, maybe this counts....
Fantomas/Melvins Big Band, it's a live album by both bands at once, playing each other's song.
Really great, but I wouldn't count it as such
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
23.07.2006 - 01:48
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I cannot put myself into downloading a whole album, I need to have original stuff from the band, it just makes me feel that I give support to the band. But of course, not all material is available for buying and we are forced to download stuff off the Internet. I try to just download few songs in these cases though.

Split releases greatness depends of the bands that are sharing works. If we have a split EP of a good band and a worthless band then we will have useless tracks there that we would be paying for and that we don't even listen to.

The only split EP I own in original version would be Satyricon's "The Forest Is My Throne" with Enslaved's "Yggdrasill". A rare find here in my country but more than pleasant nonetheless. I think I paid like 18 dollars for it but I cannot remember right now.
----
Christless
23.07.2006 - 17:46
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I got one split album Emperor/Enslaved yes that's right
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
23.07.2006 - 19:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
The only bad thing with that is that it will be hard to place in your album collection since there are two different bands ... and I tend to sort my collection after the artists.

Otherwise it's great!
----
24.07.2006 - 13:13
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Written by heresiarch on 23.07.2006 at 17:46

I got one split album Emperor/Enslaved yes that's right

Personally, I've heard that, but on seperate albums as bonuses.
Surely the worst either band has ever put out.

Usually albums now come with a shit load of bonus tracks that they take from different EPs and such.
So there is really no reasons for Split albums any more, since the genre is pretty well known nowadays with internet and metal encyclopedias, forums and whatnot.
So there really is no need for Split albums anymore, unless it's a vanity project or something like that, but that's lame anyway.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
24.07.2006 - 14:19
Damnated
Churchburner
It's a good thing, if you discover new bands, and usually you do, although I never bought a split album in my life, I just couldn't find any...
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
24.07.2006 - 14:23
Markku
Account deleted
Another positive thing about split releases is that it's cheaper for bands to release one. So it's a good way for less known bands to relase their stuff.
24.07.2006 - 15:13
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Yea, but we're talking about as if Metal is some underground thing like black metal was in the 90s, it's not now AT ALL. When something has a good line of merchendise not only is it not underground, but completely blown up. So there's a great reason why you don't see Split albums anymore, they're just worthless to put out. I have no idea how you guys don't see this.
EDIT:
Oh yea, btw there's no such thing that exists where you can sample a band's music without actually paying for it, so you need split albums to check out new bands...give me a break.
----
- Orson Welles
24.07.2006 - 20:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I just remembered I have a Split LP, called: A Tribute To The Black Emperors. It is a split from Mayehm & Morbid. I like it, though I already have the Mayhem songs on thousands of other releases..

@Black Wizard.

A lot of Grindcore/Gore bands still release splits, why is that then? Because they can't fill an album of their own? Or because they are still underground. (Or at least more than BM, nowadays)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.07.2006 - 21:35
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I don't know why, I guess since Grindcore albums are short. But as I said, they are pretty much pointless now.
But it is a good idea to combine 2 EPs, but who actually buys EPs?
Oh yea, grindcore EPS are like super short, but still, I wouldn't spend any cash on an EP, unless they have a super cool album cover or something.
----
- Orson Welles
25.07.2006 - 12:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Joey Jo Jo on 24.07.2006 at 15:13

So there's a great reason why you don't see Split albums anymore,.

still a huge amount of split albums are released. Like Nervel siad a lot of grincore bands still release splits, also a huge amount of black metal bands release split albums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.07.2006 - 18:53
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I don't know about over there, but I never see any split albums being released here, and I barely even hear about them. Anyway, I think this is a thread about the reasons for split albums, and not wheather they actually exist or not.
----
- Orson Welles
25.07.2006 - 19:43
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
split releases are still around. where are you looking for cds? they rarely turn up in places like HMV but most lesser-known distros sell loads of splits.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
25.07.2006 - 19:49
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I don't think I have any of those kinds of places around me, I wish I did though.
I remember on a trip to Cancun, I saw a lot of rare albums and splits, so I guess I was wrong about them now that I remember.
----
- Orson Welles
25.07.2006 - 19:57
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i meant internet distros.

for example: NWN has loads of split releases: http://www.nwnprod.com/catalog/
----

Read Watchmen.
04.12.2007 - 10:56
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i think they are a great idea, especially for underground bands, that don't have enough material to fill up a whole CD, and get their stuff out, without releasing a really short full length or releasing bad material to make up time... good idea
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
04.12.2007 - 13:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 04.12.2007 at 10:56

i think they are a great idea, especially for underground bands, that don't have enough material to fill up a whole CD, and get their stuff out, without releasing a really short full length or releasing bad material to make up time... good idea

Thay can realise even single, album, mini CD whit 3-5 sonsg too, its not neceserly realise splitt becaus eof it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.12.2007 - 13:48
GT
Coffee!!
I've never seen a split release in a store here but I think the concept is nice...gives you a chance to discover new bands (if you don't know one of the bands on the split)
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
04.12.2007 - 14:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 04.12.2007 at 13:48

I've never seen a split release in a store here but I think the concept is nice...gives you a chance to discover new bands (if you don't know one of the bands on the split)

Me to I never had seens, but IMo taht Norvegian store He;vete where warg and co open in 90ties was full whit splitt

But nowdays we had M-A and I net where look to unknow band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.12.2007 - 19:02
selken
Irreligious
I support them, and maybe buying this stuff is very important cause most bands that release this kind of stuff are beggining their carreer, and maybe the support of a bigger name is the best way for them to get discovered, i.e. I heard Thorns in their split with Emperor.

Written by Warman on 23.07.2006 at 19:10

The only bad thing with that is that it will be hard to place in your album collection since there are two different bands ... and I tend to sort my collection after the artists.

the same for me, I am very meticulous organizing my music collection, but anyway I like these releases.
----
02.01.2015 - 21:22
Infernal Eternal

Lol, let's heat this dead thread up! Best split: Gojira/Kvelertak live split.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
02.01.2015 - 21:31
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Infernal Eternal on 02.01.2015 at 21:22

Seems to me you've doing just that, bringing old threads back up. But I think that your comments should contain more substance, which could spark a discussion, or the threads you keep posting on will just sink back to the depths of Oblivion.
02.01.2015 - 21:41
Infernal Eternal

Written by Ilham on 02.01.2015 at 21:31

Written by Infernal Eternal on 02.01.2015 at 21:22

Seems to me you've doing just that, bringing old threads back up. But I think that your comments should contain more substance, which could spark a discussion, or the threads you keep posting on will just sink back to the depths of Oblivion.

Well, can't add much to that. I love both bands, they are truly creative, a joint split (lol, what?) of them is a gift. Giving birth back to old threads isn't really my intention. I actually like the topics and find it strange MSers have dumbed them.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
02.01.2015 - 21:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't even remember the last split album I listened to. I don't exactly go out of my way to get a hold of them either. There are a few that I've listened to and I'm like goddamn this is a great piece of work but mostly they leave me feeling unimpressed.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.01.2015 - 21:51
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Infernal Eternal on 02.01.2015 at 21:41

Well, can't add much to that. I love both bands, they are truly creative, a joint split (lol, what?) of them is a gift. Giving birth back to old threads isn't really my intention. I actually like the topics and find it strange MSers have dumbed them.

I didn't mean in this particular case, but one liners just don't usually incite a user to reply you know, just that . Unless you go for shock tactics like some of our less mentally gifted fellow users haha.

On topic, I actually love Gojira, until they fucked up with a release of which I don't even recall the name, and I like Klevercaca very much. So this comment in fact will push me to listen to that split.
02.01.2015 - 22:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Nice topic to bring back from the dead.

Seriously though there are recently some splits which are definitely cool. Like the The Abyss Stares Back split series that has been created by Hypertension records.

Part 1 has Amenra/Vvovnds. Part 3 has Drums are for Parades/Sardonis. Part 4 is by Alkerdeel/Nihil.

Part 2 is by Primitive Man/Hessian. Check it out.
02.01.2015 - 22:26
3rdWorld
China was a neat
And another interesting Split to add is the one by Dis pater from his three projects. The incredible and awesomely titled: Converge, Rivers of Hell
04.01.2015 - 01:07
Lit.
Account deleted
Generally only care about them if they have some new stuff, covers especially. These are some of my favorites: