02. Ashes To Ashes
03. Crystal Soul
04. End Of An Era
05. The Seafoam
06. Return To The Dark
07. Last Requiem
08. Errautsatik Errautsata
09. Fucking Hostile [live][Pantera cover][Hidden track]

After a short, symphonic introduction, quite typical of Power Metal releases, the album really starts. And if I tell you it IS power metal, you won't be surprised, right? Guess what, it is. But just labeling it that way might be a tad limited. So let's delve a bit deeper?
OK, there's high pitched choruses most of the times, double-bass drumming, two trademarks of the style (do you really want me to repeat 'power metal' again?). And indeed, most of the drumming uses the same structures as Helloween or Stratovarius. But, the guitar work, with its very melodic solos (quite extensive at times), is more reminiscent of classic heavy metal (the riffing of the good "Return To The Dark" song really has this Maiden touch). Finally, only hinted at times, there's a small thrash side to this band, when the singer goes in lower tones, and the riffing is a little more aggressive, like in "Errautsatik Errautsara". Or of course in the hidden bonus track, which is none other than a live cover of "Fucking Hostile".

The singer generally sings his verses in a lower tone than is usual for this kind of stuff (and that's good), but the chorus are classically high-pitched; this part is correct, but not more. The guitar and bass work is nothing but very good. The players are really talented, it's all played flawlessly, efficiently and as melodic as needed. The songwriting, if not original, is quite good for the style; the riffs and bass lines are above average, while the drumming is pretty uninspired. Not that the drummer is bad, it's just that it's not varied, and as such not really interesting.

I'm nearly at the end already, and I haven't mentioned anything yet about this band, Ilungara. They are four guys coming from Basque country, but whether from the French or Spanish side, I don't know. Those who have noticed the strange song title above ("Errautsatik Errautsara", that's the one) might see where I'm going: yes they have done a song in Euskara, the Basque language. And it sounds great!!

Finally?While I don't know if the world really needed another power metal band (thankfully closer to Helloween than to the flower power scene), this first album - in fact, it's only an EP, really - is a good start. Now, they'll have to develop a real and original identity to survive in this overcrowded subgenre of metal. Singing in euskara is a first step, they should really do some more like this. I also liked the thrashier moments. But, even if some vocals and the drumming can be improved, with great guitar players like these, they shouldn't have any real problem to come up with a really good album - and a label.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 6

Written on 02.10.2009 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 48 users
02.10.2009 - 15:43
Heissayen

"Basque Country" is not a country, is an Spanish region. Nothing to do with France.
02.10.2009 - 18:37
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Heissayen on 02.10.2009 at 15:43

"Basque Country" is not a country, is an Spanish region. Nothing to do with France.

No it's not a country, but yes it has everything to do with France. Just say that again in front of a French basque guy and see how he'll react...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.10.2009 - 21:16
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Heissayen on 02.10.2009 at 15:43

About one third of the area is on French territory....educate yourself....
03.10.2009 - 08:27
Heissayen

I'm Spanish, I know what i'm talking about. And I dont care about how a french will react, "basque country" is a region from spain. Just from spain.
"educate yourself"? xDDDD, my god, wtf i have to read. I'm sure i have studied País Vasco deeply than you (moreover if you say that a third of the area is French ... xDDD!)
03.10.2009 - 12:18
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Heissayen on 03.10.2009 at 08:27

I'm Spanish, I know what i'm talking about. And I dont care about how a french will react, "basque country" is a region from spain. Just from spain.
"educate yourself"? xDDDD, my god, wtf i have to read. I'm sure i have studied País Vasco deeply than you (moreover if you say that a third of the area is French ... xDDD!)

Well, check again this link I already put in the review, take a deep look at the map, and stop acting like a 'I-know-it-all' moron.
But then, I don't care personnally, I'm not basque.
----

I am awake"
03.10.2009 - 17:40
Heissayen

Uh... First, sorry about last post (I was a little drunk....:( )

I don't know if 'Basque Country' = 'País Vasco' + 'some territory of France'. But I'm 100% sure that 'País Vasco' is a Spanish region.
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pa%C3%ADs_Vasco Anyway, youknow, wikipedia is not very reliable.

And well, it's good to see more spanish bands here
03.10.2009 - 20:47
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Heissayen on 03.10.2009 at 17:40

Uh... First, sorry about last post (I was a little drunk....:( )

I don't know if 'Basque Country' = 'País Vasco' + 'some territory of France'. But I'm 100% sure that 'País Vasco' is a Spanish region.
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pa%C3%ADs_Vasco Anyway, youknow, wikipedia is not very reliable.

And well, it's good to see more spanish bands here

OK, no problem. But I can assure you that there's a french basque country called, well, Pays Basque. As I live only 200km from it, it really exists.
The only difference I see between the French and Spanish basque region is that the ETA acts in Spain and hides back in France...
----

I am awake"
27.11.2009 - 12:46
ilungara

Hi! I really enjoy the comments from Heissayen !!
And if you don't mind, I would like to answer him in spanish

" A ver chiquillo! Hay que volver a estudiar esa geografia ! Como puedes decir que el pais vasco esta solo en territorio español ?? Vergüenza te tenia que dar en ademas insistir !

Basque country = Pais vasco = Pays basque = Euskal Herria

Y por muy español que sea (y yo pensaba que los de barcelona eran catalanes :s), siento decirte que esto te lo esta contando un vasco de Irun (guipuzcoa) ...
Ah, y por cierto, Euskadi no esta en territorio español, esta en territorio vasco !!! jajaja "

and for everyone ... lol!
The basque country is composed by 7 provincies
4 in the south (Euskadi,spanish territory) : Gipuzkoa (guipuzcoa), Araba (alava), Bizkaia (vizcaya), Nafarroa (navarra)
and 3 in the North (Iparralde, french territory): Lapurdi (Labort), Nafarroa Beherea (baja navarra),Zuberoa (Sola)
But it's an only and same country (same language, same traditions, same culture)

Hits total: 4770 | This month: 2