Metal Storm logo
Metal As Emotion

04.10.2009 - 16:33
Baz Anderson
staff
Ok, well lets see how this goes. I was wondering recently if I would be able to put a metal band to any kind of emotion.

Obviously for something like "anger" (a very broad emotion) I would say something like The Rotted with their aggressive, in-your-face punkish death metal.

So, have a look at this list of emotions and try and name some bands that you think characterise a particular emotion.

Lets get some good ideas here.

(Also, what kind of emotion could you put to music like [band]Suffocation[/url] or any other brutal death band? Is it all void of emotion, or do you think a connection to an emotion can be made somewhere? Is it, or is it simply not possible to give all bands an emotion?)
04.10.2009 - 19:43
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
As far as anger is concerned I'd really say Strapping Young Lad or most thrash.

And I'd don't think we'll get one band per emotion... Too broad. Searching by songs, however, might get something for each and everyone, maybe (thinking about tertiary emotions of your article)...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.10.2009 - 19:56
TheBigRossowski
You posted a list of emotions?! That's just too awesome, man, lol.

Well, when I listen to Oranssi Pazuzu, it relaxes me....which according to that link, is a complex emotion. Maybe it seems weird to be in a relaxed trance when listening to something like this, for others that is, but we metalstormers understand this emotion.

Kangastus 1968 is on right now. Groovy
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
04.10.2009 - 22:44
tulkas
el parcero
Like Darkside Momo says, doing it by band may be too broad. There's bands with different types and styles of songs, so it's probably best doing it by songs. When Baz A. said Anger, first song which came to my mind was Slayer's Payback. Though overall thrash does go alongside Anger, I think.
Also the song Gemälde Derer, die Schieden by Nocte Obducta can give me the creeps sometimes. It's got a dark atmosphere that's just awesome, so I guess this one could go with Fear. I'll just name those two for now.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
04.10.2009 - 22:56
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Joy - Korpiklaani / Sadness - Sins of Thy Beloved
Anger - Thrash, Hardcore and some Hardcore Punk
Nostalgia - Most Folk bands
Impatience - Grind, they don't have the patience to write full length songs.

As for Brutal Death as Baz suggested, I'd associate that with Boredom.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
05.10.2009 - 00:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Anticipation - Wintersun are about to release Time
Joy - imagining yourself listening to Time
Surprise - Time will be delayed
Sadness - Time is delayed
Fear - Time will be delayed again
Trust - Time surely wont be delayed again
Anger - Time is delayed again
Disgust - ...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.10.2009 - 00:35
Baz Anderson
staff
Haha, nice to see people are getting involved.

I had a little think about brutal death, and I think (even though it isn't an emotion) insanity is quite fitting, haha.
Yeh, Kreator comes to mind ("Extreme Aggressions") for anger.

Are there any bands out there that epitomise such emotions as torment, envy, suffering, pride, affection...? Weird emotions like these that aren't usually really related to music.
05.10.2009 - 00:49
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
YOu could maybe stick some Turisas songs with pride, you know the epic war moment, like that victory music from Lord of the Rings.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
05.10.2009 - 01:03
danielllewis
Written by Ellrohir on 05.10.2009 at 00:30

Anticipation - Wintersun are about to release Time

That's more like frustration for me
----
05.10.2009 - 01:18
Derwood
Thrash is a good match for anger. For brutal death, I'd have to say blind rage - the kind of adrenalin fueled borderline insanity where you know you have completely lost control but can't stop yourself.

For me personally, Amon Amarth's music embodies determination and will, the drive to overcome and achieve regardless of what lies before you. Any time I'm having one of those mornings where I'd rather stay in bed and not face the stress and pressure of work and life (and since I'm the boss, that's a major problem), Amon Amarth provides the soundtrack for my commute and I arrive at work ready to crush the skulls of all who stand in my way, or die trying.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
05.10.2009 - 11:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by TheBigRossowski on 04.10.2009 at 19:56

Well, when I listen to Oranssi Pazuzu, it relaxes me....which according to that link, is a complex emotion. Maybe it seems weird to be in a relaxed trance when listening to something like this, for others that is, but we metalstormers understand this emotion.

More power to the Pazuzu! Really got into that album last night, after having owned for a month or two, and it is fucking ace. Thanks for reminding me that I had it somewhere.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.10.2009 - 11:57
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 05.10.2009 at 00:35

Haha, nice to see people are getting involved.

I had a little think about brutal death, and I think (even though it isn't an emotion) insanity is quite fitting, haha.
Yeh, Kreator comes to mind ("Extreme Aggressions") for anger.

Are there any bands out there that epitomise such emotions as torment, envy, suffering, pride, affection...? Weird emotions like these that aren't usually really related to music.

Get into some doom. Torment and suffering, especially, are common values in our ballpark.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.10.2009 - 12:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Misanthropy - Iron Maiden - Only the Good Die Young

awe - Cathedral - Melancholy Emperor

anxiety(and some joy) - Ayreon - Day 11

bliss - Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing (not metal but who the fuck cares one of the best songs i've ever heard in my life)

sympathy - Sabaton - Cliffs of Gallipoli , Iron Maiden - Como Estais Amigos

lust - Rammstein - Te Quiero Puta

desire - Iced Earth - Diary (as in a burning desire for some woman's love)

vengefulness - 3 Inches of Blood - Destroy The Orcs, Revenge Is a Vulture, Sentenced - Vengeance Is Mine(the part in the middle with the kid's choir is just EPIC AS FUCK)

battle-rage(lots of songs like this but i'll name only the best) - Manowar - Blood of My Enemies; Ensiferum - Battle Song; 3 Inches of Blood - Goatrider's Horde;

despair - UFO - Doctor Doctor, Sentenced - Excuse Me While I Kill Myself

hate - Iced Earth - The Path I Choose, Vengeance Is Mine
05.10.2009 - 13:00
FOOCK Nam
Emotion as Metal, Metal encline the Emotion. Yes, let see:

First, I would talk and list more emotions got from Metal genre:

Almost Doom genres and Funeral doom - "Beautiful" emotion (dont know what kind of emotion is that), it is like beautiful Cherishing Moments while Wallowing in Depression (but not Extremely negative), maybe Calm.

Depressive black metal: Sick Painful Suicidal Down Extremely Depression.

Black metal: cold Evil and like Grim, not really Anger but more Wicked Mind.

Everything Epic: almost EPIC heroic, lofty mettle Beautiful High and Steadfast.

Death/Thrash/Brutal/Grindcore/Metalcore/Hardcore/even ALTER: Violent JAILBREAK High Excited Youthful ANGER FIGHT KILL energetic.

Power: some STRONG, but mostly happy high.

Gothic and Progressive: I have not so much listened, so no comment.

Post Rock: calm relaxing and also beautiful, youthful too.

For most genres which go with Beautiful emotion, I say it is like (Land/)Soundscape capturing.

The song title and lyric also bring the emotion to listeners but it is to broad to list.
05.10.2009 - 13:06
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Emo = Heavily generated anger on behalf of the listener.
----

05.10.2009 - 13:27
TheBigRossowski
Written by Baz Anderson on 05.10.2009 at 00:35

I suppose if you really wanted to listen to any bands that express pride, you could go for the whole NSBM bullshit, lol. Though I doubt they're really full of pride. In fact, they're probably more disgusted with themselves than they are with the world around them.

Written by Lucas on 05.10.2009 at 11:56

Written by TheBigRossowski on 04.10.2009 at 19:56

More power to the Pazuzu! Really got into that album last night, after having owned for a month or two, and it is fucking ace. Thanks for reminding me that I had it somewhere.

When I saw the number of collectors was three or four people, I knew as soon as I clicked on that button your name would be on the list. I would love to go to a show from those Dudes.
----
05.10.2009 - 13:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Sadness - Dragonforce
Anger - Trivium
Depression - Metallica
Homosexuality - Fairyland
05.10.2009 - 14:28
TheBigRossowski
Written by Dangerboner on 05.10.2009 at 13:33

Sadness - Dragonforce
Anger - Trivium
Depression - Metallica

This is too good. Is Fairyland actually a band? Holy fuck, Dangerboner, lol.

Besides my previous post about pride, I would say Peste Noire has the whole pride/nationality thing going on. Especially in their latest release, but they're not nazis or anything.
----
10.10.2009 - 21:26
FOOCK Nam
Written by TheBigRossowski on 05.10.2009 at 14:28

Written by Dangerboner on 05.10.2009 at 13:33

Sadness - Dragonforce
Anger - Trivium
Depression - Metallica

This is too good. Is Fairyland actually a band? Holy fuck, Dangerboner, lol.

I think yes, heard that band name before, somewhere through last.fm, probably power metal, yeah very homo
20.10.2009 - 04:15
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Metal to me is meditation.
11.06.2010 - 22:28
busta5000
Account deleted
Emotions I felt

anger, betrayal, discovering a horrible truth(about world government using mind control ), free, amazed, thrilled.
14.06.2010 - 16:48
vezzy
Stallmanite
Metal has an anti-depressing feeling on me.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.06.2010 - 07:35
whatsacow
Depression: Shape of despair/ahab.
Anger: Slayer.
Joy: Diablo Swing orchestra
Numbness: Sunn O)))
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
15.06.2010 - 09:55
SerratedSyringe
The Berzerker: Amazement, Terror, Rage
Anaal Nathrakh: Rage, Grief
Deathstars: Lust (Ecstacy), Sadness
Mushroomhead: Grief, Disgust, Anger, Fear
Anorexia Nervosa: Terror, Loathing, Grief, Optimism (Later)
The CNK: Rage (Early), Contempt (Later)
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....