Metal Storm logo
Old fart Metalstormers (The 45+ crowd)

13.10.2009 - 02:12
Derwood

I know there are more of us here than Marcel and I... (I'm looking at you Lord Regnier and BitterCOld)

I figured we could use a thread of our own to discuss those things that are a concern to us aging metalheads, like actually buying albums and reminiscing about the scenes we grew up on and other things of little interest to all these young whippersnappers that are overrunning this place.

So...how many of us can still pull off the long hair without a hat? I know I'm out.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
13.10.2009 - 02:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Derwood on 13.10.2009 at 02:12

I know there are more of us here than Marcel and I... (I'm looking at you Lord Regnier and BitterCOld)

I figured we could use a thread of our own to discuss those things that are a concern to us aging metalheads, like actually buying albums and reminiscing about the scenes we grew up on and other things of little interest to all these young whippersnappers that are overrunning this place.

So...how many of us can still pull off the long hair without a hat? I know I'm out.

Well, I am not bald and never had long hair to begin with neither did I EVER wear denima jackets with patches. Back when I was a young whippersnapper myself I only wore band shirts to gigs whereas nowadays I also wear them to work and when I am hitting the pubs. Is that a sign of midlfe crisis
As for buying albums and reminiscing... last Saturday I boguht Sempiternal Deathreign on vinyl (my other vinyl copy has worn thin due to excessive playing) thanks to an actual young whippersnapper (Lucas, just 18 ) who had scored the said album on cd at the Ahab gig we were attending and saw the vinyl there in absolutely bran new mint condition. Getting that album again sure brought back memories of 1989/ Also seeing the Get Thrashed documentary two years brought back memories of the thrash scene I grew up on. But the best memory inducer was last September 6th taking part in the Dutch National Metal Quiz and seeing the top 12 existed entirely of 35+ year olds (of whom a couple I grew up with listeing to metal in the early 80s but had lost contact with only to get back into contact with over the last three years. Oh yeah and ALL of the hated glam metal back in the day with a passion. We all grew up on the NWOBHM and thrash scenes.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2009 - 02:49
Derwood

I did have long hair once upon a time, but that actually gave way to a mohawk (6" fan, occasionally green) in my late teens. I was one of those rare guys who openly listened to both punk and metal at a time when punks and headbangers generally beat each other up on sight. You know, the days before Suicidal Tendencies and DRI's Crossover.

I did wear a denim jacket, but no patches. I tended to wear a lot of black and about 20lbs of studded leather accessories.

I still hate glam, actually. Was there any "real" metal then other than thrash and NWOBHM? "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" brings back a lot of memories for me. Did we really look and sound so ridiculous?
----
13.10.2009 - 03:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Derwood on 13.10.2009 at 02:49

I did have long hair once upon a time, but that actually gave way to a mohawk (6" fan, occasionally green) in my late teens. I was one of those rare guys who openly listened to both punk and metal at a time when punks and headbangers generally beat each other up on sight. You know, the days before Suicidal Tendencies and DRI's Crossover.

I also openly listened to both hardcore and punk and metal, but then again in The Netherlands there weren't the rpoblems between punks and metallers like in the US and Canada, here we co-existed in total peace.

Quote:
"Heavy Metal Parking Lot" brings back a lot of memories for me. Did we really look and sound so ridiculous?

Most of us did and actually still do look and sound that ridiculous. Just go to a big concert, and then especially the big European open air festivals, and you'll come across loads of people that will make zebraman and friends look like raging intellectuals (btw check out the dvd of HMPL for the extra which are brilliant, especially zebraman nowadays
That is my biggest gripe about metal. The people at those fests are bleeding braindead morons that do give metal a bad name imo, Therefore I prefer going to gigs which are attended by 1,000 - 2,000 max, and usually go to gig where 500 wil go to at most (clubs that sell out with those numbers are great). Like last Saturday's Ahab gig, a maximum of 200 could attend but as it turned out there were just 75 paying visitors. And it being doom there were uite a few 35+ year olds.
That's what I like about the doom scene, it is small and intimate and loads of people are 35. Drunk people... yes... but at least they aren't as annoying as when youngsters (or the big festival crowds) get drunk.
With a scene like that everyone knows each other (just like the NWOBHM and thrash scenes back in the 80s) there is more of a family feeling. Paying concertgoers helping the organisation of such gigs out buying helping bands carrying their equipment, heelping the rganisers with unloading the backstage booze an stuff, or by letting a band from abroad sleep over at your place and feeding them beer at your place. Such a scene is the odl NWOBHM and thrash and hardcore scenes of yore, all DIY.
Making it so much more satisfying imo.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2009 - 03:42
Derwood

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2009 at 03:23

That is my biggest gripe about metal. The people at those fests are bleeding braindead morons that do give metal a bad name imo,

Wow, do you ever sound like a bitter old guy sitting on his porch bitching about "kids these days..."

I knew it was only a matter of time before this thread went down that road, but I didn't expect it to be quite this quickly!

Not that I'm disagreeing with you.

Strangely enough, zebraguy was exactly who I had in mind, and I have seen the extras. I thought Rob's comment to the girls talking about how they'd like to sleep with him was fantastic.

Something tells me I'm going to be listening to some Judas Priest before the day is through. Defenders of the Faith needs dusting off.
----
13.10.2009 - 03:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Derwood on 13.10.2009 at 03:42

That is my biggest gripe about metal. The people at those fests are bleeding braindead morons that do give metal a bad name imo,

Wow, do you ever sound like a bitter old guy sitting on his porch bitching about "kids these days..."

I knew it was only a matter of time before this thread went down that road, but I didn't expect it to be quite this quickly!

Not that I'm disagreeing with you.

Sorry, but that is my biggest hang-up about metallers. So, it was bound to cme asap

Quote:

Strangely enough, zebraguy was exactly who I had in mind, and I have seen the extras. I thought Rob's comment to the girls talking about how they'd like to sleep with him was fantastic.

I wanna jump his bones...
well, Rob wouldn't her to jump him

Quote:

Something tells me I'm going to be listening to some Judas Priest before the day is through. Defenders of the Faith needs dusting off.

I LOVE that extra feature on the guy with his Judas Priest collection. He just sounds like a kid in a candy store. All of a sudden he is so full of life talking about his passion.

Mmm, good idea I will put on the dvd that came with the Metalogy boxset and features a gig filmed during the Screaming For Vengeance tour in December 1982 (it was first released on VHS as Judas Priest Live in 19983 and in 2006 on dvd as Live Vengeance '82)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2009 - 04:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Am old. have a full head of very close cropped hair. i'm the guy that looks like the narc at gigs.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.10.2009 - 04:28
Derwood

Written by BitterCOld on 13.10.2009 at 04:11

Am old. have a full head of very close cropped hair. i'm the guy that looks like the narc at gigs.

I'm a member of the shaved head/goatee crowd these days, when I'm not too lazy to shave my head. My forehead is a lot higher than it used to be, though.
----
13.10.2009 - 21:54
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I fit here too we , the old guard , are rabidly aging to me bigger concern is surviving a huge hangover , it takes easily 2 days to full recovery let's face it , we are not young men anymore
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
13.10.2009 - 22:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by heresiarch on 13.10.2009 at 21:54

to me bigger concern is surviving a huge hangover , it takes easily 2 days to full recovery let's face it , we are not young men anymore

Tell me about it. I can drink with the best ones and will drink loads of youngesters udner the table on any given night, but ffs my hangovers just get worse and worse. Last Saturday been drinking the entire night at DelftDOOM gig and afterwards at my place with the band members of Mourning Dawn, some were already falling asleep while I was still wide awake and nto too drunk. But fuck the next day they were up and ging again while I had a severe hangover, whcih was only gone yesterday mafternoon.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2009 - 22:41
Elio
Red Nightmare
You old guys have a whole thread for yourself Is this even allowed? Can I open a teenagers one too?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
13.10.2009 - 22:45
Jan

How this thread brings back memories

I DID have a denim jacket, complete with back patch, numerous small patches and studs around the collar

I was a teenager in the 80ties - listening to the metal & trash there was around then. At the boarding school (Not the UK kind, don't know the proper English alternative word ), there were quite a lot of young metal heads. We introduced each other to bands and traded tapes (back then in the dark ages before widespread use (or even invention) of WWW, that was the primary way of discovering new bands.)

I had a unruly bush of hair back then - today I am close cropped and wear "normal" clothes - although jeans and
black t-shirts are still the prevalent part of my clothes.

I sort of lost interest in the 90ties - I still bought CDs and went to the occasional concert - but it was "just" music, no longer a hobby.
(Guess I was busy landing on my feet as an adult, getting a career going etc.)

But in the last 3-5 years, my interest in all things metal has re-kindled big time and I now spend quite a lot of time perusing the net, checking out new bands etc.

Written by heresiarch on 13.10.2009 at 21:54

I fit here too we , the old guard , are rabidly aging to me bigger concern is surviving a huge hangover , it takes easily 2 days to full recovery let's face it , we are not young men anymore

I hear you 15 years ago I could party every night and go to work bright eyed and eager - no problem. Today...
13.10.2009 - 22:51
Jan

I want a porch also
13.10.2009 - 22:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Jan on 13.10.2009 at 22:51

I want a porch also

Me too, but I'll settle for sitting outside in front of the door on a chair with a crate of beer and complain about "kids these days" there
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2009 - 23:03
Jan

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2009 at 22:54

Written by Jan on 13.10.2009 at 22:51

I want a porch also

Me too, but I'll settle for sitting outside in front of the door on a chair with a crate of beer and complain about "kids these days" there

Sounds ok too. And the great thing about being old and grey is that now we can actually afford a crate of something quite a lot better than the cheapest-discount-label lagers we swilled back then
14.10.2009 - 04:20
Derwood

Nice to see this thread taking off. Wasn't sure how well it'd fly.

Elio, you can come back when you stop wearing yellow shirts and start growing hair in your ears.

Written by Jan on 13.10.2009 at 23:03

And the great thing about being old and grey is that now we can actually afford a crate of something quite a lot better than the cheapest-discount-label lagers we swilled back then

To quote Homer (not the Iliad guy), "That's funny cause its true!" The stuff I drink primarily these days is Knob Creek bourbon and runs about $60 for a 750 ml bottle in these parts. I can't remember the last time I bought beer that didn't come from a microbrew, or even better the local brew pub.

Now that I think about it, I'd like a porch, too.

Anyone else got kids?
----
14.10.2009 - 04:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Derwood on 14.10.2009 at 04:20

Anyone else got kids?

Sorry, not me. Not even in a relationship currently.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2009 - 04:46
Derwood

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2009 at 04:36

Not even in a relationship currently.

What the hell has that got to do with having kids?
----
14.10.2009 - 04:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Derwood on 14.10.2009 at 04:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2009 at 04:36

Not even in a relationship currently.

What the hell has that got to do with having kids?

Come to think of it... nothing. But seeing that 99% of the people of my age I know that have kids are in a relationship I guess that is what triggered it.

So, I guess you have kids (I am sure you do cause I read that somewhere)

To be totally honest, I actually hate kids with a passion which is only rivalled by my passion for metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2009 - 05:26
Derwood

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2009 at 04:53

To be totally honest, I actually hate kids with a passion which is only rivalled by my passion for metal.

To each their own, but torturing them provides great vocal tracks for goregrind albums.

Come to think of it, the wails of their despairing parents could be suitable for suicidal black metal.
----
14.10.2009 - 07:05
Jan

While I like kid to some extent, I/we have chosen not to have any - simply can't see myself as a father.

Am married though - for 2½ years - but we have been together for almost 9.
14.10.2009 - 12:49
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
What a wonderful thread

I guess I qualify - I'm certainly old enough ...

But , in other ways I am still young - I haven't been listening to metal for all that long - 3 years or so.
I'm still learning and totally useless at deciding genres

On the subject of children - yes I have three , although they don't really qualify as children any more as the youngest just turned 20 :p
Due to bad parenting none of them like metal
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
14.10.2009 - 14:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Elio on 13.10.2009 at 22:41

Can I open a teenagers one too?

you cant...what will me and Bad English do?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.10.2009 - 20:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

You old guys have a whole thread for yourself Is this even allowed? Can I open a teenagers one too?

get the fuck off my lawn!

(/em shakes cane violently at Elio)
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.10.2009 - 20:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Jan on 13.10.2009 at 23:03

Sounds ok too. And the great thing about being old and grey is that now we can actually afford a crate of something quite a lot better than the cheapest-discount-label lagers we swilled back then

amen. i've gone from Meisterbrau and Milwaukee's Best (the Beast) to whatever beer i want now and, when the mood strikes me, a nice bottle of scotch. not that i drink the scotch all at once though, count me amongst the wickedly debilitating hangover squad.

i remember the good ol' days when i could drink until 3am and get up for work/watch at 6am and shrug everything off.

now a late night out nearly cripples me until dinner time the next day. sure, i get up - i don't lay in bed groaning all day like a wuss - but i'm at 1/2 speed all day long, waiting for someone to remove the railroad spike from my forehead.
----

15.10.2009 - 20:48
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by BitterCOld on 15.10.2009 at 20:28

Bitter Old dude
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.10.2009 - 21:05
Jan

Written by hanna of steel on 14.10.2009 at 12:49

But , in other ways I am still young - I haven't been listening to metal for all that long - 3 years or so.

I think that is great!

But also rather unusual - how did your interest in metal come about?
15.10.2009 - 22:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Elio on 15.10.2009 at 20:48

Bitter Old dude

Can't spell "BitterCOld" without Bitter and Old.

and this thread needs a bouncer checking ids, imo.
----

15.10.2009 - 22:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Elio on 15.10.2009 at 20:48

Bitter Old dude

Hey kid, get the fuck out of our club. This is a 35+ venue only. *beats the crap out of Elio with his zimmerframe*
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2009 - 23:19
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Jan on 15.10.2009 at 21:05

Written by hanna of steel on 14.10.2009 at 12:49

I think that is great!

But also rather unusual - how did your interest in metal come about?

Well , I have never liked mainstream music but my main interest was with artists like Neil Young - sort of country/ rock I guess.
I sort of got stuck there for a long time - raising children etc didn't give me much time to worry about music.

Then , we got satellite tv , I started watching the music channels and came across Kerrang tv which played some metal in those days - it's not as good now though.
That , combined with internet access showed me a new world

I started visiting various band forums and on one of these I "met" this guy who decided to teach me all things metal .... and here I am
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre