07. Henchmen Ride
08. Killing Season
09. Afterlife
10. F.E.A.R.
11. Leave Me Forever

Disc II [Special Edition DVD]
+ The Making of "The Formation Of Damnation"
+ Photo Gallery

Testament is the biggest band to emerge form the second wave of thrash metal in the mid 80's and is also perhaps the only band from that wave still making superb music for its dedicated fans. Testament is the only band that I know that's still making convincing thrash metal not to mention that they are also a Semi-Death Metal band. I say so because they are perhaps the only band that I know (apart from Trivium) that combines death and thrash metal elements to near-perfect harmony(although Trivium are not yet that good at it).

I have to admit that I have only recently been a full-fledged fan of Testament(after listening to The Formation of Damnation). But I am kind of regretting it as I feel I should have been a fan much earlier. The Gathering is widely regarded to be the best album of the group along with with Practice what you Preach. But I would say that The Formation of Damnation is the best of the lot and I will elaborate it for you.

The band have been on a break for quite some due to the lead vocalist suffering from cancer from which he has now recovered. The present line-up comprises the original classic line-up barring the drums whose territory is occupied by the great Paul Bostaph (formerly of Forbidden and Slayer).

The album opens with the instrumental "For the Glory Of..." and what a piece of guitar work that is. I love the superb lead and rhythm guitar connection between Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson. I personally consider their tandem guitar play to be amongst the very best in contemporary metal (and not just thrash metal). All the tracks are recommended for a budding guitarist to listen to. If Alex Skolnick is a world-class guitar virtuoso and shredder, then Eric Peterson is also an equally great rhythmist (both of them were ranked number 13 and 36 respectively in a recently released book on Metal guitarists by Joel Mciver). Drummer Paul Bostaph has done a great job behind the drum-kit all the songs barring the intro one. It is kind of strange and amazing that Paul Bostaph has been chosen to replace Dave Lombardo in a band on two successive occasions. The earlier with Slayer and the present one with Testament following the classic The Gathering which had Dave Lombardo on drums. Chuck Billy has done a great job handling the vocals. I think he is a master at combining the classic thrash style and the death grunts. All the band members have done their bit to make this album a great one.

The production is first-class. No complaints about that. All of the tracks are worth listening. Special attention should, nevertheless, be paid to "The Evil has Landed" as it is based on the tragic terror attacks of 9/11.

This album is a classic one. It would have deserved the title of the best metal album of 2008 along with Opeth's Watershed. Nevertheless it received the title of the best thrash release of 2008.

We are testament to this great band called Testament.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Hermann Langke | 17.10.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Nine years has passed since these legends of thrash metal last released a studio album, and so after an undeniably long wait Testament return in glorious form with "The Formation Of Damnation", picking up where "The Gathering" left off almost a century ago. The album has the Testament stamp all over it, this is thrash metal like Testament always deliver with both more melodic and modern elements as well as a slight peek back to how things were done in the late-eighties.

Read more ››
published 22.04.2008 | Comments (47)

Comments

Comments: 59   Visited by: 134 users
17.10.2009 - 11:32
Rating: 10
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
This is my first ever review and thanks to everyone for appreciating it and giving constructive comments.
19.10.2009 - 03:22
Rating: 8
Aebsi

Nice review mate, sums it up pretty much
----
Just be Yourself
19.10.2009 - 15:10
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Thank you mate.thanks for your appreciation.:beer:
05.11.2009 - 14:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I don't see how Trivium and Testament have anything to do with Death Metal.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
05.11.2009 - 15:02
Storm Rider

Glad to hear this great new album. More harder & more powerfull..!!! Testament like combination among thrash & death metal music. Testament is THE KING OF THRASH METAL...!!!
05.11.2009 - 15:17
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by K✞ulu on 05.11.2009 at 14:40

Well i think Matt Heafy growls and that's the connection.
05.11.2009 - 15:19
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Storm Rider on 05.11.2009 at 15:02

Glad to hear this great new album. More harder & more powerfull..!!! Testament like combination among thrash & death metal music. Testament is THE KING OF THRASH METAL...!!!

Testament are real great.
05.11.2009 - 15:20
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Hermann Langke on 05.11.2009 at 15:17

Well, his growls don't mean Death Metal (actually he doesn't really growl as far as I make out). Nowadays, every other dude growls in all kinds of genres.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

05.11.2009 - 15:28
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by K✞ulu on 05.11.2009 at 15:20

Written by Hermann Langke on 05.11.2009 at 15:17

Well, his growls don't mean Death Metal (actually he doesn't really growl as far as I make out). Nowadays, every other dude growls in all kinds of genres.

I know but I am trying to bring out a connection.Trivium is Metalcore with Death Metal leanings and all of Trivium albums are ample proof of it.
05.11.2009 - 15:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Hermann Langke on 05.11.2009 at 15:28

I know but I am trying to bring out a connection.Trivium is Metalcore with Death Metal leanings and all of Trivium albums are ample proof of it.

I'd say those are more Thrash leanings than Death... seriously.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

05.11.2009 - 15:34
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by K✞ulu on 05.11.2009 at 15:30

No I had say Death Metal.I really cannot associate Thrash Metal with growling.Testament were the first band to do it.
05.11.2009 - 15:41
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Hermann Langke on 05.11.2009 at 15:34

No I had say Death Metal.I really cannot associate Thrash Metal with growling.Testament were the first band to do it.

Give me an example of a song.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

05.11.2009 - 15:44
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by K✞ulu on 05.11.2009 at 15:41

Written by Hermann Langke on 05.11.2009 at 15:34

Give me an example of a song.

Of Testament we have the Low album.
05.11.2009 - 16:39
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Hermann Langke on 05.11.2009 at 15:44

Man, Low is as close to Death Metal as Arch Enemy. You must be kidding. Even vocally there is nothing that would say "death metal" to me, and the music all the more - pure thrash metal. dude, you're mistaken; any one who digs metal a bit will tell you that.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

05.11.2009 - 17:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by K✞ulu on 05.11.2009 at 16:39

dude, you're mistaken; any one who digs metal a bit will tell you that.

What do you expect of someone who believes that the last album by Opeth deserved the title of best album of 2008? C'mon

But really... Death? This is straigh thrash and I don't hear growls at all. If the voice is kinda "filthy" and aggressive that's just it, it's not growl.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.11.2009 - 23:00
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.11.2009 at 17:35

What do you expect of someone who believes that the last album by Opeth deserved the title of best album of 2008? C'mon

But really... Death? This is straigh thrash and I don't hear growls at all. If the voice is kinda "filthy" and aggressive that's just it, it's not growl.

Well, I think Watershed is the best album of 2008 and probably my favorite Opeth album. But this has nothing to do with me digging genres. That's just a matter taste (I have said this phrase so many times).
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

05.11.2009 - 23:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by K✞ulu on 05.11.2009 at 23:00

Well, I think Watershed is the best album of 2008 and probably my favorite Opeth album. But this has nothing to do with me digging genres. That's just a matter taste (I have said this phrase so many times).

Ok, but still... This is not death and we don't have to agree about Opeth to notice that.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2009 - 04:39
Storm Rider

If you see Testament video clip on youtube, see on the songs of DNR & Legion of The Dead, thats what I mean that this music similar with death metal genre & for the new album on the songs of Afterlife, More than meet eyes, Formation of damnation & Henchmen Ride, the same too. I like this all songs & music, very powerfull. This was what TESTAMENT PROVE IT..!!!
06.11.2009 - 09:58
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Storm Rider on 06.11.2009 at 04:39

If you see Testament video clip on youtube, see on the songs of DNR & Legion of The Dead, thats what I mean that this music similar with death metal genre & for the new album on the songs of Afterlife, More than meet eyes, Formation of damnation & Henchmen Ride, the same too. I like this all songs & music, very powerfull. This was what TESTAMENT PROVE IT..!!!

I agree with you.The Gathering was a masterpiece.
06.11.2009 - 10:01
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps

Written by Hermann Langke on 05.11.2009 at 15:44

Man, Low is as close to Death Metal as Arch Enemy. You must be kidding. Even vocally there is nothing that would say "death metal" to me, and the music all the more - pure thrash metal. dude, you're mistaken; any one who digs metal a bit will tell you that.

Oh come on Low had growling but The Gathering was a full on Death and Thrash Combo pack.
06.11.2009 - 10:04
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.11.2009 at 17:35

Mr. Doctor I think you need a medical check up .Watershed deserved it's due.And Testament is Death cum thrash Metal.
06.11.2009 - 13:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Hermann Langke on 06.11.2009 at 10:04

Mr. Doctor I think you need a medical check up .Watershed deserved it's due.

No, it doesn't. It's just plain wank for me and everything before is way better, even Ghost Reveries is better. And I believe you haven't listened to a lot for albums from 2008

Opeth didn't won for a reason, because A Forest Of Stars, Esoteric, Mar Der Grises, Darkspace, Cult Of Luna and so on did better albums that actually have something new to bring to the table. Then again, I don't really think you're that into Black or doom, otherwise you would understand how Opeth doesn't match the others.

And about the death tag, I'm not gonna continue with that because it's just as stupid as the several reviews from a dude how kept saying Death was Thrash.
And since when is growl = Death Metal? ... Not enough reason.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2009 - 16:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
FFS The Formation Of Damnation is pure thrash nothing death metal about it at all. Anyone suggesting this is death metal clearly has no clue about metal whatsoever.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2009 - 17:31
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.11.2009 at 16:41

FFS The Formation Of Damnation is pure thrash nothing death metal about it at all. Anyone suggesting this is death metal clearly has no clue about metal whatsoever.

You are probably right .We are again headed towards that earlier slugfest in that book review.I really find Testament Death and Thrash Metal.But I really respect your opinion as you have been a Metalhead even before I was born.
06.11.2009 - 17:33
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.11.2009 at 13:27

Written by Hermann Langke on 06.11.2009 at 10:04

Mr. Doctor I think you need a medical check up .Watershed deserved it's due.

No, it doesn't. It's just plain wank for me and everything before is way better, even Ghost Reveries is better. And I believe you haven't listened to a lot for albums from 2008

Opeth didn't won for a reason, because A Forest Of Stars, Esoteric, Mar Der Grises, Darkspace, Cult Of Luna and so on did better albums that actually have something new to bring to the table. Then again, I don't really think you're that into Black or doom, otherwise you would understand how Opeth doesn't match the others.

And about the death tag, I'm not gonna continue with that because it's just as stupid as the several reviews from a dude how kept saying Death was Thrash.
And since when is growl = Death Metal? ... Not enough reason.

All the bands you have mentioned are not available in India.I respect your view.
06.11.2009 - 17:33
Storm Rider

I'm not saying that Testament pure in death metal music. I said that their music combination among thrash and death metal music. Take a look compare on the song of Conquer All by Behemoth with the song of Legions of the Dead by Testament or the song of Wyrocznia by Vader with the song of More Than Meets The Eye by Testament. This music almost similar although they are in the different genre.
09.11.2009 - 13:54
BudDa

Nice review nibir though for me I prefer Death Angel's Killing Season to this one. I don't know why but apart from "more than meets the eye", "the evil has landed" and the title track..I can't find myself listening to this twice or 3tyms in a row.
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
12.11.2009 - 16:49
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by BudDa on 09.11.2009 at 13:54

Nice review nibir though for me I prefer Death Angel's Killing Season to this one. I don't know why but apart from "more than meets the eye", "the evil has landed" and the title track..I can't find myself listening to this twice or 3tyms in a row.

Thank you for appreciating.
17.11.2009 - 17:30
BrightNight

Good review Nibir. I agree. But seriously, Testament has nothing to do with death metal at all. But I think more people think like this way and the reason for this is that Testament is one of the hardest Thrash bands out there, from thrash metal emerged death metal and the step from testament to some death metal bands may be not so big compared to other thrash bands. Still.....nothing so pure thrash metal as Testament!
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
18.11.2009 - 09:00
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by BrightNight on 17.11.2009 at 17:30

Good review Nibir. I agree. But seriously, Testament has nothing to do with death metal at all. But I think more people think like this way and the reason for this is that Testament is one of the hardest Thrash bands out there, from thrash metal emerged death metal and the step from testament to some death metal bands may be not so big compared to other thrash bands. Still.....nothing so pure thrash metal as Testament!

Thank You for you appreciating.I think Testament were Thrash Metal in the 80's but from the early 90's they drifted towards Death Metal.

Hits total: 6566 | This month: 7