Metal Storm logo
Metal fans unlike other music fans

Original post

Posted by , 20.10.2009 - 04:30
Metal fans, in contrast to fans of other styles of music, seem to be the most serious and devoted to the genre. I see that metal music is very versatile and can invoke a variety of emotions combined with creative technicalities that end up having a very profound effect upon the listener. What are your thoughts?
18.11.2009 - 04:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Nighthowls on 18.11.2009 at 03:53

Just yesterday my cousin was asking telling me "I wonder what Im going to listen to when Im 40" goes to show how much her and her friends really like their music, I guess its not only a momentary thing for me, Im glad I know the answer if they asked me METAL!!!!!!!!!!

i don't see how that is a fault. at 20 i didn't know i would be listening to doom, sludge, post, or black metal... even though i liked thrash.

both pop and metal will probably evolve significantly in 20 years, so it is a valid question, regardless of what genre you listen to.

further, the funny thing is when i (or Marcel) get into a lame internet spat with someone younger on this site, they tend to point to our age. so apparently quite a few "metalheads" won't be listening to metal in 20 years...

ultimately, musical attachments are either short or long term depending more upon the person than the genre.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.11.2009 - 04:26
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Quote:
I don't see how that is a fault. at 20 i didn't know i would be listening to doom, sludge, post, or black metal... even though i liked thrash.

both pop and metal will probably evolve significantly in 20 years, so it is a valid question, regardless of what genre you listen to.

further, the funny thing is when i (or Marcel) get into a lame internet spat with someone younger on this site, they tend to point to our age. so apparently quite a few "metalheads" won't be listening to metal in 20 years...

ultimately, musical attachments are either short or long term depending more upon the person than the genre.

True music constantly evolves no argument there, and i wont give you alame internet spat, but see the thing is you knew you´d be listening to Metal, and naturally we all evolve me for instance, I started with Glam and now I prefer folk and black, and who knows in the future might get into other genre´s. I should have been more specific though her exact words were " I wonder what TYPE of music I´ll be listening to when Im 40" abd you´re right its not a fault, just saying She´ll complete stop listening to what she listebs to now, like before and transgres into something else, while I´ll still be into Metal without a doubt (assuming I made it to that age) despite the genre. yeah people do evolve and change though. Of course they do its natural, cause you guys have been around to see this from pretty much the beginning, and thats pretty cool, but youre assuming they wont be listening to metal just cause they ask about your age. Ultimately I agree with everything you wrote
18.11.2009 - 18:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:
Written by Nighthowls on 18.11.2009 at 04:26

I don't see how that is a fault. at 20 i didn't know i would be listening to doom, sludge, post, or black metal... even though i liked thrash.

True music constantly evolves no argument there, and i wont give you alame internet spat, but see the thing is you knew you´d be listening to Metal, and naturally we all evolve me for instance, I started with Glam and now I prefer folk and black, and who knows in the future might get into other genre´s. I should have been more specific though her exact words were " I wonder what TYPE of music I´ll be listening to when Im 40" abd you´re right its not a fault, just saying She´ll complete stop listening to what she listebs to now, like before and transgres into something else, while I´ll still be into Metal without a doubt (assuming I made it to that age) despite the genre. yeah people do evolve and change though. Of course they do its natural, cause you guys have been around to see this from pretty much the beginning, and thats pretty cool, but youre assuming they wont be listening to metal just cause they ask about your age. Ultimately I agree with everything you wrote

Althopugh she might think she'll be listening to another type of music when she's 40 and think you will still be listening to metal, you can never be sure. Both your and her taste might undergo drastic changes.

I remember when I was 20 I was one of the people saying I didn't know if I would still be listening to metal, although I was immensely into it back then as well. As you can see I am still heavily into metal. I would even dare say I am more immersed in it now than back then. Whereas I had friends at the time who could have sworn they would still be into metal when they're 40 and well, as you can guess, they aren't into anymore at all. The sold their vinyls and cd's and now don't even listen to it. Not even occasionally. And what they say now is that they have matured and grown out of it
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.11.2009 - 03:17
LadyPage

Written by Hexenmeister on 20.10.2009 at 05:09

I think it's simply due to the fact that metal is not mainstream. In most countries, you can't just turn on the radio and hear metal bands or walk into any music store and find metal CDs. You have to do your own research to learn about bands and seek out their music.

This means that metal fans, by default, are required to be more invested in their music.

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's easier for metal fans to appreciate the genre because you actually have to do some work to listen to it. Other genres, you flip on the TV or radio and you can hear it all you want, all day, everyday. Metal music, you gotta go out and get it and look at websites to discover new bands and music.
19.11.2009 - 03:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LadyPage on 19.11.2009 at 03:17

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's easier for metal fans to appreciate the genre because you actually have to do some work to listen to it. Other genres, you flip on the TV or radio and you can hear it all you want, all day, everyday. Metal music, you gotta go out and get it and look at websites to discover new bands and music.

As if metal is the only music that applies to.

Mmm, Jungle, Drum 'n' Bass, Techno, Gabber, Americana, Folk, yes even Rap, chansoniers etc. that also applies to.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.11.2009 - 03:45
LadyPage

I never said it just applied to metal, I just answered using metal because it's a metal forum

I should have been more clear in my post, my fault, I just meant that, pop especially, is very easily accessible. You don't really have to go digging for anything by Britney Spears (though, who the hell would want to, anyways, haha).

Most people listen to mainstream so they get accustomed to the music and don't go in search of other kinds of music. Up until high school, I was the same way. I just listened to whatever was on the radio and didn't even think twice about what other music was out there. I know they existed but I never bothered to do any research and never bothered to try to discover bands that didn't get any radio play.

Thank goodness I got wiser.
19.11.2009 - 05:41
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Quote:
Quote:

Althopugh she might think she'll be listening to another type of music when she's 40 and think you will still be listening to metal, you can never be sure. Both your and her taste might undergo drastic changes.

I remember when I was 20 I was one of the people saying I didn't know if I would still be listening to metal, although I was immensely into it back then as well. As you can see I am still heavily into metal. I would even dare say I am more immersed in it now than back then. Whereas I had friends at the time who could have sworn they would still be into metal when they're 40 and well, as you can guess, they aren't into anymore at all. The sold their vinyls and cd's and now don't even listen to it. Not even occasionally. And what they say now is that they have matured and grown out of it

"matured and grown out of it"
honestly I had a friend like that too, all the same I love it, and we´ll see what happens in 40 huh?
22.11.2009 - 17:17
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by LadyPage on 19.11.2009 at 03:45

I never said it just applied to metal, I just answered using metal because it's a metal forum

I should have been more clear in my post, my fault, I just meant that, pop especially, is very easily accessible. You don't really have to go digging for anything by Britney Spears (though, who the hell would want to, anyways, haha).

Most people listen to mainstream so they get accustomed to the music and don't go in search of other kinds of music. Up until high school, I was the same way. I just listened to whatever was on the radio and didn't even think twice about what other music was out there. I know they existed but I never bothered to do any research and never bothered to try to discover bands that didn't get any radio play.

I even think most people are lazy listeners, since they usually listen to pop songs that hav been made into a video and play on the radio 100 times a day. People don't even buy albums, today, they download THE song that's popular at the moment, even though they might like other songs from that album. Pop-listeners are usually not music fans, they just follow the mainstream and like to have some noise around them when they work, etc. Metalheads (and I mean real ones, not the ones who call themselves metallers cause they are SO much into Metallica) are often fans of complex music, hence many metallers like symphonic music, for example. Metallers are more passionate, I think. Never seen anybody wearing a Pussycat Dolls t-shirt or listening to Britney Spears with the volume at max in huge earphones.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
12.05.2010 - 16:18
Angel Of Mercy

Written by MétalNoir on 22.11.2009 at 17:17

Written by LadyPage on 19.11.2009 at 03:45

I even think most people are lazy listeners, since they usually listen to pop songs that hav been made into a video and play on the radio 100 times a day. People don't even buy albums, today, they download THE song that's popular at the moment, even though they might like other songs from that album. Pop-listeners are usually not music fans, they just follow the mainstream and like to have some noise around them when they work, etc. Metalheads (and I mean real ones, not the ones who call themselves metallers cause they are SO much into Metallica) are often fans of complex music, hence many metallers like symphonic music, for example. Metallers are more passionate, I think. Never seen anybody wearing a Pussycat Dolls t-shirt or listening to Britney Spears with the volume at max in huge earphones.

Well said. I totally agree with you
----
Your time will come.
12.05.2010 - 20:10
Kennoth

There seems to be a lot of strong points in this topic in either sides. Ultimately, each music genre comes with it's own culture, fans and code of behavior, though it seems to be more pronounced to the extreme with the likes of metal and punk. So, my point would be that, like someone already mentioned, rap fans got their blings; black metal fans have their corpsepaint; each genre is different, therefore metal fans are as well different than other music fans.

So, I can be narrow minded sometimes, and think highly about my musical taste (and trust me, it's not hard where I come from), but overall, I know that there are just as much passionate people about their music, than as we are with ours. Though, I'd had to say that metal music is one of the most diverse genres of music, I don't think someone would argue with me on that point (though someone probably will).
----
*insert something deep and profound*
12.05.2010 - 20:51
Mikyz

That's very true, metalheads are devoted to their music, because metal more than being music is a culture, a way of life, it carries meaning and serves a purpose which is not fame, money and women. So as a metalhead I take pride in my music as an art form, and as a way of expression, which might seem weird/hostile to outsiders but who cares Metal is freedom, anger, hate, despair and so many other things. So people who dig metal should understand the depth of the music (hopefully) and well we tend to take pride in it (and we show it). But that doesn't mean that other music genres don't, you have the emos, the goths, the dudes who dress with shiny glow in the dark cloth and listen to Dance music

Those who don't live through there music are just not that influenced by music, they're passive listeners who depend on something other than music, could be books, could be movies. I hope that what I wrote made sense.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
12.05.2010 - 23:11
Kennoth

Written by Mikyz on 12.05.2010 at 20:51

That's very true, metalheads are devoted to their music, because metal more than being music is a culture, a way of life, it carries meaning and serves a purpose which is not fame, money and women. So as a metalhead I take pride in my music as an art form, and as a way of expression, which might seem weird/hostile to outsiders but who cares Metal is freedom, anger, hate, despair and so many other things. So people who dig metal should understand the depth of the music (hopefully) and well we tend to take pride in it (and we show it). But that doesn't mean that other music genres don't, you have the emos, the goths, the dudes who dress with shiny glow in the dark cloth and listen to Dance music

Those who don't live through there music are just not that influenced by music, they're passive listeners who depend on something other than music, could be books, could be movies. I hope that what I wrote made sense.

It does. I mostly agree with everything you said.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
12.05.2010 - 23:22
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust

Just yesterday my cousin was asking telling me "I wonder what Im going to listen to when Im 40" goes to show how much her and her friends really like their music, I guess its not only a momentary thing for me, Im glad I know the answer if they asked me METAL!!!!!!!!!!

When we are 40, the music industry will have figured out the creative formula for all songwriting and applied it to robot bands who will churn out music for everyone. Humans making music will be a thing of the past.
12.05.2010 - 23:56
Mikyz

Written by Introspekrieg on 12.05.2010 at 23:22

When we are 40, the music industry will have figured out the creative formula for all songwriting and applied it to robot bands who will churn out music for everyone. Humans making music will be a thing of the past.

Yeah and by the time we're 50 the robots would have taken over world after slaughtering every human being on the planet

Just 2 minutes ago I was talking to a friend who was like the biggest Dream Theater fan and used to play the guitar, but as I was catching up with him I discovered that not only did he stop listening to DT or any other Metal/Rock related acts but also that he would rather pass time listening to techno or whatever that sorry excuse for music is called than headband along side me. He also abandoned the guitar. All that happened in 1 year.

My friend changed in one year, so I can't begin to imagine what's going to happen in the next 20 years, hopefully I'm still gonna be a headbanging beer addict.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
13.05.2010 - 00:15
Got Mayhem?

Here's one: We listen to ALBUMS
Not hit singles, or catchy tunes. We actually listen to the music the way the ARTIST (there's a word that most top 40 'ers aren't fit for) intended it to be heard. People over here in the US piss themselves whenever word of a new Lady Gaga single comes out. It's disgusting that all she has to do is record some (heavily modified) vocals over a beat that's been written for her and in the space of an hour she's got the big bucks rollin' in. Give me an album, not a single, and then I'll make my opinion about a band.
----
13.05.2010 - 00:32
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Got Mayhem? on 13.05.2010 at 00:15

Here's one: We listen to ALBUMS
Not hit singles, or catchy tunes. We actually listen to the music the way the ARTIST (there's a word that most top 40 'ers aren't fit for) intended it to be heard. People over here in the US piss themselves whenever word of a new Lady Gaga single comes out. It's disgusting that all she has to do is record some (heavily modified) vocals over a beat that's been written for her and in the space of an hour she's got the big bucks rollin' in. Give me an album, not a single, and then I'll make my opinion about a band.

This is why bands that make either: one long song for an album (Thick As A Brick, Crimson, Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness, I) or a bunch of segmented tracks (Sol Niger Within, For The Love Of Art And The Making, Catch 33) really impress me. This format of releasing music goes against what is most popular in the Top 40 3-min catchy single standard bullshit and is basically commercial suicide, making art for the sake of art. Not forgetting the fact that making metal, 99.5% of the time, won't lead to any commercial success. Let's support artists who take risks and don't appeal to the lowest common denominator for financial reasons.
06.10.2014 - 04:13
Creativinity

When you meet a fellow metalhead, you know you have met someone who appreciates the technicality, the beauty, the chaos that metal has and provokes. It's more than music, it really is an amazing art.
08.10.2014 - 16:42
raveneffect

Nice gravedigigng man
09.10.2014 - 09:29
Ganondox

While metal fans are often quite passionate, they are by no means unique, plenty of other genres have tons of plenty of devoted fans. I guess the only thing that can really be said is that if someone is a fan of less mainstream music they will probably be more devoted to it then someone who only listens to chart pop.
28.07.2016 - 21:10
Sang Dalang Abu

^ Maybe someone will disagree with my opinion.

IMO: Just because listen to 3-4 Metallica songs then claim metalheads? come on listen to 50-100 albums with different sub-genre then u can call ur self metalhead.
29.07.2016 - 05:01
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 28.07.2016 at 23:38

Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 28.07.2016 at 21:10

^ Maybe someone will disagree with my opinion.

IMO: Just because listen to 3-4 Metallica songs then claim metalheads? come on listen to 50-100 albums with different sub-genre then u can call ur self metalhead.

I just said that there are people who do that. I know people who only listen to a couple of metal songs and consider themselves metalheads/fans, which is a bit strange.

I'm going to blame loads of folks here in India.

Either they see a local band in area or listen to "recommended" suggestions on YouTube and consider themselves as self-indulgent, 3/4ths putting band's t-shirt idiot who just off to listening Kill 'Em All/KISB../Hell Awaits.

Most populated in New Delhi where you see these flashy brainless wanna-be-look-like-serious cretins walking down the streets, trying to impress as much as in locality as possible to look like a metalhead. They go in scale to destabilize their behaviour so that people just start throwing off "hey, what happened to him? He was such a good guy. Now, look a nasty loud music made him worse. Poor soul", and the worst part is they feel really good about it.
30.07.2016 - 08:12
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 29.07.2016 at 22:42

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.07.2016 at 05:01

Written by Guest on 28.07.2016 at 23:38

Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 28.07.2016 at 21:10

[text]

[text]

[text]

I dont really get what you mean in your first part though.

What i meant is they're a bunch of self-made metalheads here who listens to "only" Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden on youtube or see a local band in college fest and consider themselves a full-fledged self-proclaimed heavy metal music fan. At least that is a mundane process I saw here of getting into metal scene by any music fan.
08.09.2016 - 19:14
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 08.09.2016 at 17:56

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 30.07.2016 at 08:12

What i meant is they're a bunch of self-made metalheads here who listens to "only" Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden on youtube or see a local band in college fest and consider themselves a full-fledged self-proclaimed heavy metal music fan. At least that is a mundane process I saw here of getting into metal scene by any music fan.

Fuck them, because that fag people will think and said: 'wow metal so edgy, dumb music, hey son let's listen to dubsteb'.

Haha, right.

I'll tell you interesting trivia about metal fans in India. Well, metal scene is considered to be huge in South( where majority of bands also represents Indian metal scene), and mostly listens to Metallica, Lamb Of God, Slayer, Machine Head, Meshuggah, Iron Maiden unlike 3rdWorld who is much into underground. Here in extreme north part of India(Jammu and Kashmir(pretty much secluded)), they listens to mostly traditional music. In my stay upto 4 years now, I discovered fans who listens to metal but doesn't reveal too much about themselves. Mostly Kashmiri(people of kashmir), they listen to Ahab, Insominium, Cradle Of Filth, Ayreon, Mastodon and Dark Funeral. It's just that they don't get access to internet or keep tracked on network radar for their surfing to various websites. But, they do listen to metal.
11.09.2016 - 21:11
Crimson Maiden

I think metal is a most unique form of music and expression---and you have all these subgenres to pick from in metal...I personally call all of it metal instead of progressive, doom, etc...I get these confused quite often so I call it all just metal...Metal music just takes a hold on you and doesn't let go, been metal fan for at least 25 years now...Metal music relaxes me like no other genre can..can't imagine relaxing to rap or reggae or jazz for example...8-]]
17.10.2016 - 10:29
Sang Dalang Abu

Written by Crimson Maiden on 11.09.2016 at 21:11

I think metal is a most unique form of music and expression---and you have all these subgenres to pick from in metal...I personally call all of it metal instead of progressive, doom, etc...I get these confused quite often so I call it all just metal...Metal music just takes a hold on you and doesn't let go, been metal fan for at least 25 years now...Metal music relaxes me like no other genre can

Not only unique, metal music can make you happy, but there are metal songs that can make u sad too.

What 25 years experiences? wow, much longer experiece than my grandpa