Metal Storm logo
Metal fans unlike other music fans

Original post

Posted by , 20.10.2009 - 04:30
Metal fans, in contrast to fans of other styles of music, seem to be the most serious and devoted to the genre. I see that metal music is very versatile and can invoke a variety of emotions combined with creative technicalities that end up having a very profound effect upon the listener. What are your thoughts?
30.10.2009 - 18:00
-Soulreaper-

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.10.2009 at 17:44

Written by -Soulreaper- on 30.10.2009 at 17:37

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.10.2009 at 17:06

Written by jollygreen on 25.10.2009 at 05:39

Almost everyone of you have some instrument that can be used in some type of metal and your were more than likely inspired by metal to play it.

What a weird statement this is. Most people that are totally into metal and are totally devoted to it don't play an instrument at all. Most die hard metallers I know have never touched an instrument in their lives.

It's the opposite for me. Most people I know or have met that are really into metal play an instrument (or lie about it).

Maybe at most 45% of all metalheads play an instrument then I think.
But to state that almost all metallers play one (like the girl I quoted said) is of course an overexaggeration.

Imo less metallers play an instrument than that rapfans rap.

Could be an over exaggeration, but who's to know? Maybe we should open a poll on here to see. Then we could analyse the percentage and what not. Just to get a baseline. I'd go ahead and guesstimate that it would be around 80%.
30.10.2009 - 18:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
The notion that metal fans are more apt to pick up an instrument and go is a fallacy, imo. that certainly was the punk ethos... back in the day punk bands eschewed the "hero worship" and would frequently tell fans to just form their own bands.

garage bands have existed for all genres forever.

and seemingly any rap fan just picks up a microphone and plies their trade... even failure ivy league journalism school students.

that statement is just more of the same crap as the original post.

sorry to shatter your illusions, kiddies, everyone thinks their favorite is best. just because you don't like another genre doesn't mean it's fans are not as committed or as intensely interested.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.10.2009 - 19:52
-Soulreaper-

I wasn't saying that metal fans were "more apt" to learn an instrument than any other musical lover. I was just saying that from what I've seen and the people I have known, they picked up an instrument because metal inspired them to give it a try.
30.10.2009 - 21:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
It was more or less a response to the JollyGreen post that preceded yours.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.11.2009 - 00:05
jollygreen

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.10.2009 at 17:44

Written by -Soulreaper- on 30.10.2009 at 17:37

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.10.2009 at 17:06

Written by jollygreen on 25.10.2009 at 05:39

Almost everyone of you have some instrument that can be used in some type of metal and your were more than likely inspired by metal to play it.

What a weird statement this is. Most people that are totally into metal and are totally devoted to it don't play an instrument at all. Most die hard metallers I know have never touched an instrument in their lives.

It's the opposite for me. Most people I know or have met that are really into metal play an instrument (or lie about it).

Maybe at most 45% of all metalheads play an instrument then I think.
But to state that almost all metallers play one (like the girl I quoted said) is of course an overexaggeration.

Imo less metallers play an instrument than that rapfans rap.

Way to pick apart my comment two words contexts clues. I was speaking in generalities based on personal experiences with fans of metal. There are no definites in the debate of music but generally every person I know that listens to a more intrumentally driven music genre like classical, jazz,or even bluegrass are influenced by that genre to play certain instruments and by instrument I mean anything thats not a computer . RAP, RNB, HOUSE, TECHNO have alot less actual instruments that take years to learn how to play and that will always sound different than a computer. You're right less metal heads play an instrument than rappers rap because it's alot easier to use something you had your whole life like your mouth than to learn to play a guitar or piano or violin. Which also points out that you must have not seen the part where I said rap is more lyrically driven and thats what makes it a different style of music and promotes a different following than metal.
07.11.2009 - 00:20
dyonysus

WOW My whole life I've known a lot of musicians.Most of them enjoy metal (some won't admit it).Some people just can't or won't come out of the closet or out from under what ever rock they are stuck under.Every Metal head I have ever known plays or wants to.Just my own experience why just listen when you can be a part of it.
07.11.2009 - 00:21
Zombie, M.D.

I'd be willing to bet that pound for pound there are more active musicians who are fans of jazz than active musicians that are fans of metal. Not to mention you can't half ass power chord your way through a jazz piece.

I will inject, however, than in my experience metalheads seems to be the most pompous fans with an incredibly bloated sense of their importance and uniqueness.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
07.11.2009 - 01:02
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 07.11.2009 at 00:21

I will inject, however, than in my experience metalheads seems to be the most pompous fans with an incredibly bloated sense of their importance and uniqueness.

I second that, even I used to be like that when I was a teenager, then thanks to a friend of mine I learned that people feels exactly the same as you for their favorite music style, It doesn't matter if they listen to Jazz, Classical, Country, Pop, blablabla, they feel good listening their music, they feel for sure the same passion as you. For example, if someone really love House and Indie Rock or whatever, and you show them a guitar virtuoso, even if that person is in fact a really good musicians for example in Metal or Jazz, the Indie Rock fan won't give a shit and he will keep on listening what he likes the most.

So let's stop thinking that we are superior entities touched by the gods, just enjoy your fucking music, we are all equal, or someone here got superpowers on the last week?
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
09.11.2009 - 23:38
IronBlackZepp

Well I went to high school with all kinds of different people, who liked all kinds of different music, however their were not a whole lot of metal lovers. I graduated in 2007 so most of the people in my school were (and probably still are because it hasnt been that long) into rap and hip hop, or classic rock.

The rap and hip hop lovers didnt really tend to stick with an artist, album, or song for a very long time, a song that is a month old was an "old song" in their minds. So they tended to more of radio people, people who are not as serious as other music lovers, and if they owned a cd they would not want to hear it much and it would become "old" fast.

The Classic rock lovers tended to be more like metal heads but tended to not really have a lot of artists they loved. I am a big classic rock fan myself as well as a big metal fan so I tended to get along with these people. Most of em were into their select artists and would not change. So in a way they are much like metal fans, but metal fans tend to like a lot of bands/artists, and classic rock fans tend to wish things were back to "the way they were," and not accept new music.

Metal fans at my school usually could tell you the names of members in bands, album names, and song names faster then any other music lover could tell you about their music. They were not into what is new and what is old. They were more into the music its self, new or old. So I guess I could say metal fans are different from other music lovers, but the same goes for all fans of music, they are all different.
09.11.2009 - 23:45
nana.MD
Star-Queen
IMO metal fans are quite different from others, let's say "pop"...most of it because they're not interested in what the band looks like, we are more into the quality of music, don't really care about auperficial things...i think metal fans are also very passionate about music in general, but not only metal, most of them are into classical, jazz, etc...i also think playing an instrument and/or understanding it's complexity is another point which makes us different...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
09.11.2009 - 23:59
IronBlackZepp

Written by nana.MD on 09.11.2009 at 23:45

IMO metal fans are quite different from others, let's say "pop"...most of it because they're not interested in what the band looks like, we are more into the quality of music, don't really care about auperficial things...i think metal fans are also very passionate about music in general, but not only metal, most of them are into classical, jazz, etc...i also think playing an instrument and/or understanding it's complexity is another point which makes us different...

True, Pop, and hip hop/rap lovers, are more into what an artist looks or acts like. They are more into the drama in the artists lives then the music that they make. However real music lovers of all kinds are very passionate about their music, classical, blues, Jazz, rock, you name it. They love their music just as much as metal fans love their music. They are no different then metal heads in that way. I for one love all kinds of music, it is true that metal fans tend to have a wide range in what kinds of music they like (and play). Other music lovers tend to just stick with their favorite.
10.11.2009 - 00:08
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by IronBlackZepp on 09.11.2009 at 23:59

True, Pop, and hip hop/rap lovers, are more into what an artist looks or acts like. They are more into the drama in the artists lives then the music that they make. However real music lovers of all kinds are very passionate about their music, classical, blues, Jazz, rock, you name it. They love their music just as much as metal fans love their music. They are no different then metal heads in that way. I for one love all kinds of music, it is true that metal fans tend to have a wide range in what kinds of music they like (and play). Other music lovers tend to just stick with their favorite.

sure...or they stick with whatever everybody else is listening, what they play on the radio, mtv, idk stuff like that...just getting along with what media says because they want to look cool or fit in with the new stuff...i don't think a metalhead will ever do that he
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
10.11.2009 - 00:26
IronBlackZepp

Written by nana.MD on 10.11.2009 at 00:08

sure...or they stick with whatever everybody else is listening, what they play on the radio, mtv, idk stuff like that...just getting along with what media says because they want to look cool or fit in with the new stuff...i don't think a metalhead will ever do that he

Well, again that is more pop, or hip hop/rap fans. Metal fans are not usually the type of people who are into doing what the media tells them to do. However Classical music fans, blues fans, and Jazz fans are not people who do things like this either. MTV deos not play their music, but they do not want to anyway.

I like Dream Theaters Idea, screw the media, we will play what we wanna play. I wish more artists would do this and not let people push them into playing things they dont wanna play. However, many artists these days want the fame, and will do anything for it.
11.11.2009 - 23:49
jollygreen

Written by BitterCOld on 30.10.2009 at 21:32

It was more or less a response to the JollyGreen post that preceded yours.

Instrumentally driven genres!!!!!!!!! Im certainly not delusional I don't side with metal only. Im saying that classical jazz country music types of that nature take more INSTRUMENTAL talent because they actually play instruments on certain level of intricateness and understanding and if someone learns an instrument, plays beautiful music on it, it will provoke a person to want to do the same. Thats how you get new bands. Band- a group of INSTRUMENTALISTS playing music of a specialized type Look it up, Don't put words in peoples mouthes
12.11.2009 - 00:17
jollygreen

Written by Daggon on 07.11.2009 at 01:02

Written by Zombie, M.D. on 07.11.2009 at 00:21

I second that, even I used to be like that when I was a teenager, then thanks to a friend of mine I learned that people feels exactly the same as you for their favorite music style, It doesn't matter if they listen to Jazz, Classical, Country, Pop, blablabla, they feel good listening their music, they feel for sure the same passion as you. For example, if someone really love House and Indie Rock or whatever, and you show them a guitar virtuoso, even if that person is in fact a really good musicians for example in Metal or Jazz, the Indie Rock fan won't give a shit and he will keep on listening what he likes the most.

So let's stop thinking that we are superior entities touched by the gods, just enjoy your fucking music, we are all equal, or someone here got superpowers on the last week?

You are the pompous idiots who put words in others mouths I never said that that they feel less about their music open your eyes and read something for what it is not for what it may imply to you cause you could be wrong about what the other person is trying to say and make inappropriate comments saying that I think all musicians will like each other if they play an instrument Noooooooooooooo bands that have instruments ( brass, percussion, woodwinds,strings) in them will influence others to play. Why is it so hard for you to understand that what I am saying is instrumentalists influence other instrumentalists to be better , to not play what their playing cause they dont personally like it ( your indie rock fan scenario) or just gain knowledge of certain way of playing an instrument or to just play it at all. Oh yea and pompous idiots make assumptions of intelligence based on age.
12.11.2009 - 00:38
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by jollygreen on 12.11.2009 at 00:17

You are the pompous idiots who put words in others mouths

Someone is really hotheaded today geez. Seems that the only one who misunderstood everything was you, And I never said something about instruments, I just said my opinion about the average metalhead who thinks everything in metal is superior to any other genre.
I was only giving my opinion, not telling an undeniable truth.

You have to be wiser to say something like that next time. Please, do not put words in others mouths. Thanks
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
12.11.2009 - 01:07
jollygreen

Written by Daggon on 12.11.2009 at 00:38

Written by jollygreen on 12.11.2009 at 00:17

You are the pompous idiots who put words in others mouths

Someone is really hotheaded today geez. Seems that the only one who misunderstood everything was you, And I never said something about instruments, I just said my opinion about the average metalhead who thinks everything in metal is superior to any other genre.
I was only giving my opinion, not telling an undeniable truth.

You have to be wiser to say something like that next time. Please, do not put words in others mouths. Thanks

You responded to Zombie MD's message I quoted the both of you and you should know what I was directing to you individually oh yea and you said "I used to be like that when I was a teenager"-Daggon ummm why would you feel the need to say that unless you were trying to make an example of somebody for example ME. So know what the hell you wrote down before you try to make me out to be the idiot because my first reply was meant to be looked at as an opinion and everyone tried to pick it apart and say that I didn't know what I was talking about when what I said was very broad and not attacking anyone and was just an observation of people who listen to more instrumentally driven music styles and with points that are very factual
12.11.2009 - 02:02
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by jollygreen on 12.11.2009 at 01:07

You said "I used to be like that when I was a teenager"-Daggon ummm why would you feel the need to say that unless you were trying to make an example of somebody for example ME.

I'll say this just one more time, geez someone is really hotheaded today. When I said "I used to be like that when I was a teenager", I didn't even know about your existence, who are you, Marvin the paranoid android? I told my own story, I never meant to target someone, just myself, then I just said what I think about enjoying music, nuff said.

Now go get some rest, you really need it.
----
12.11.2009 - 02:20
Zuzuz0r

Written by IronBlackZepp on 10.11.2009 at 00:26

Well, again that is more pop, or hip hop/rap fans. Metal fans are not usually the type of people who are into doing what the media tells them to do.

Maybe not the mainstream media, but the metal media, or the fans, for example, if the "metal media" or the metal fans say "the new album from this bands sucks" or "this band sucks" or "the new vocalist sucks" or whatever, they also follow the idea, and I'm NOT saying that EVERY metalhead, but maybe the common ones, or the newbie metalheads, or whatever.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
12.11.2009 - 07:34
IronBlackZepp

Written by Zuzuz0r on 12.11.2009 at 02:20

Written by IronBlackZepp on 10.11.2009 at 00:26

Well, again that is more pop, or hip hop/rap fans. Metal fans are not usually the type of people who are into doing what the media tells them to do.

Maybe not the mainstream media, but the metal media, or the fans, for example, if the "metal media" or the metal fans say "the new album from this bands sucks" or "this band sucks" or "the new vocalist sucks" or whatever, they also follow the idea, and I'm NOT saying that EVERY metalhead, but maybe the common ones, or the newbie metalheads, or whatever.

I actually agree with this, it seems like this happens a lot.
13.11.2009 - 01:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Hmmm you get a point, metalheads keep metal sound , you all know what I mean, but pop fans they dont care what band, what style song, how long its be popular, they just care about something on TV, Radio , it doesnt metter if A is now and B be tommorow they gonna like it and those east pop songs and bands after months be forgotten anyway
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.11.2009 - 05:14
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Ehhhh i wouldnt say that metal fans are the most devoted fans of a genre. fans of rap and classical music can get as devoted, obsessed and crazy than metal fans and more often do so (in the case of rap music). and in any case, people should be open to more genres of music anyway (nibir) rather than being wholly dedicated to one genre. diversity makes the world go round hahaha
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
14.11.2009 - 01:35
nana.MD
Star-Queen
@LeChron James: Rap fans are devoted? how come? i dont get that he...

i agree diversity is great but it's not easy though, i mean for someone else to get into metal...i think maybe it's easier for metalheads to listen and give a chance to other stuff while most ppl go like "metal? nah that's only noice and some yelling"
----
16.11.2009 - 08:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Metal fans? Hmm, stereotypically I'd say unathletic, narcissistic, and.... flatulent? Seriously I'd like to go to one concert and not smell anus.
16.11.2009 - 15:43
SerratedSyringe

Written by LeChron James on 13.11.2009 at 05:14

Ehhhh i wouldnt say that metal fans are the most devoted fans of a genre. fans of rap and classical music can get as devoted, obsessed and crazy than metal fans and more often do so (in the case of rap music). and in any case, people should be open to more genres of music anyway (nibir) rather than being wholly dedicated to one genre. diversity makes the world go round hahaha

I see quite a few parallels between the Metal subculture and the rap subculture (underground and hardcore rap, not the watered down radio hip-hop stuff). There is a lot of similarity lyrically, although rap tends to be more political, and less 'fantastic' than metal. Another theme is violence and in some cases misanthropy. As far as the fans go, I don't see much difference between black metal artists killing black metal artists, and rappers killing rappers. Both genres have their own 'beefs' and alliances.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
16.11.2009 - 19:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by SerratedSyringe on 16.11.2009 at 15:43

I see quite a few parallels between the Metal subculture and the rap subculture (underground and hardcore rap, not the watered down radio hip-hop stuff). There is a lot of similarity lyrically, although rap tends to be more political, and less 'fantastic' than metal. Another theme is violence and in some cases misanthropy. As far as the fans go, I don't see much difference between black metal artists killing black metal artists, and rappers killing rappers. Both genres have their own 'beefs' and alliances.

several years ago i posted along these very same lines, even drawing parallels between "bling" - gold chains and teef vs. spikes and inverted crosses and choices in weaponry - rappers posing with guns, black metallers posing with clubs and gardening equipment. hell, rappers and black metallers have even both done their own porn flicks, ffs.

both are genres for disaffected youth of different backgrounds.
----

17.11.2009 - 15:49
SerratedSyringe

Written by BitterCOld on 16.11.2009 at 19:12

Written by SerratedSyringe on 16.11.2009 at 15:43

several years ago i posted along these very same lines, even drawing parallels between "bling" - gold chains and teef vs. spikes and inverted crosses and choices in weaponry - rappers posing with guns, black metallers posing with clubs and gardening equipment. hell, rappers and black metallers have even both done their own porn flicks, ffs.

both are genres for disaffected youth of different backgrounds.

Yeah, I've been thinking about it for a while, I just now decided to post it. Good point about the "bling".
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
17.11.2009 - 17:12
Overlord_PT

I have a question related to this topic in some way..

do you think that people that like metal, but they arent devoted can be consider metal fans?
what do you think?
17.11.2009 - 17:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
If they like the music, buy albums, and support bands, they are metal fans. maybe not "metalheads"... but definitely fans.
----

18.11.2009 - 03:53
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Just yesterday my cousin was asking telling me "I wonder what Im going to listen to when Im 40" goes to show how much her and her friends really like their music, I guess its not only a momentary thing for me, Im glad I know the answer if they asked me METAL!!!!!!!!!!