Metal Storm logo
Judas Priest: Tipton Vs Downing

Poll

Whom would you prefer?Although both of them are nigh-equal.

Glenn Tipton
K K Downing

Total votes: 31
21.10.2009 - 19:17
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Judas Priest are one of the most important figures in Metal history.And Tipton and Downing have played a very crucial role in it.But if it came down to choose one of them,whom would you root for?Blame me if I am being stupid,but i want to know what you guys feel.;):P
22.10.2009 - 02:01
ToMegaTherion

Not an easy comparison and one that is though to judge, Its like comparing Scotch Fillet to Eye Fillet, youd pick one simply because there is more of it. Tipton, his solo work is pretty good, though Ive never heard Downing outside of Priest.
22.10.2009 - 20:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Can not choose I like both so no votimg and I think main JP is Rob not guitarists
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.10.2009 - 21:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Imo it's not an easy judgment to make, but Tipton is imo a better artist/musician, because he writes more stuff than KK(i know songs written by Glen only like The Ripper and Hellbent for Leather if you want just 2, but i don't know if KK wrote any song on his own, checked their entire relevant discography and i didn't notice any song written just by KK), and he has a more varied soloing technique, whereas Downing relies a bit too much on tremolo bar abuse. not saying KK is bad, he is a damn good guitarist, but Glen is a genius, and together for 36 years they made some of the best heavy metal music there is.
22.10.2009 - 23:46
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
This debate is driving me crazy i cant choose they are both gods !
23.10.2009 - 15:56
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by ToMegaTherion on 22.10.2009 at 02:01

Not an easy comparison and one that is though to judge, Its like comparing Scotch Fillet to Eye Fillet, youd pick one simply because there is more of it. Tipton, his solo work is pretty good, though Ive never heard Downing outside of Priest.

I see.it is quite difficult to judge.But my fav. is and has to be Tipton.
24.10.2009 - 10:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Although I love K.K., I have to go for Glenn. He is technically better, which is borne out by him playing a higher percentage of Priest's solos. Glenn is also my no.1 guitar hero, and his solo in "Painkiller" is my fave solo of all time, so I have to pick him!

He produced Violent Storm's album "Storm Warning". He also played two guitar solos on the album, including in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEjrZ0C04Bw
24.10.2009 - 10:45
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.10.2009 at 10:29

Although I love K.K., I have to go for Glenn. He is technically better, which is borne out by him playing a higher percentage of Priest's solos. Glenn is also my no.1 guitar hero, and his solo in "Painkiller" is my fave solo of all time, so I have to pick him!

He produced Violent Storm's album "Storm Warning". He also played two guitar solos on the album, including in this song:

Tipton is my all-time no.1 as well.
24.10.2009 - 14:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I think almost everyone will say Tipton because he is the main soloist.

Anyway, I like them for different reasons, I think they complement each other very well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
24.10.2009 - 17:01
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by BloodTears on 24.10.2009 at 14:51

I think almost everyone will say Tipton because he is the main soloist.

Anyway, I like them for different reasons, I think they complement each other very well.

I agree with you.
24.10.2009 - 17:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hermann Langke on 24.10.2009 at 10:45

Definitely if I could choose to have any guitarist's skills, it would be Glenn's! I know there are techinically better players, but the skill and the feel he has when he plays solos, is just amazing.

I think the fact K.K. has a vastly different style to Glenn is a great thing. His wilder, more vicious style is the perfect foil for Glenn's more melodic thought out approach. When I saw Priest in February, I was on K.K.'s side of the stage, right at the front. He played the "Sinner" solo right in front of me. That was awesome!
24.10.2009 - 17:15
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.10.2009 at 17:12

Written by Hermann Langke on 24.10.2009 at 10:45

Definitely if I could choose to have any guitarist's skills, it would be Glenn's! I know there are techinically better players, but the skill and the feel he has when he plays solos, is just amazing.

I think the fact K.K. has a vastly different style to Glenn is a great thing. His wilder, more vicious style is the perfect foil for Glenn's more melodic thought out approach. When I saw Priest in February, I was on K.K.'s side of the stage, right at the front. He played the "Sinner" solo right in front of me. That was awesome!

I can imagine what that must have been like.But Tipton brings an incredible edge to Priest.
24.10.2009 - 17:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hermann Langke on 24.10.2009 at 17:15
I can imagine what that must have been like.But Tipton brings an incredible edge to Priest.

I definitely prefer Glenn, but I think if he was the lone guitarist, or K.K.'s style was similar to his, then Priest's sound wouldn't be as great as it is. Take "Jawbreaker", for instance. I really don't think Glenn could have played a better solo over that. Sometimes a more off the cuff, wilder style is called for, and K.K. fits that role amazingly. Needless to say, Glenn is my fave guitarist, and Tipton/Downing are my fave guitar team in metal! m/
24.10.2009 - 17:27
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.10.2009 at 17:22

Written by Hermann Langke on 24.10.2009 at 17:15

I definitely prefer Glenn, but I think if he was the lone guitarist, or K.K.'s style was similar to his, then Priest's sound wouldn't be as great as it is. Take "Jawbreaker", for instance. I really don't think Glenn could have played a better solo over that. Sometimes a more off the cuff, wilder style is called for, and K.K. fits that role amazingly. Needless to say, Glenn is my fave guitarist, and Tipton/Downing are my fave guitar team in metal! m/

I agree with you.I have a book on Metal guitarists by Joel Mciver and Tipton and Downing are rated 25 and 29 respectively.I believe it should be a lot higher.
25.10.2009 - 09:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hermann Langke on 24.10.2009 at 17:27
I agree with you.I have a book on Metal guitarists by Joel Mciver and Tipton and Downing are rated 25 and 29 respectively.I believe it should be a lot higher.

What?!

It definitely should be a lot higher. Any list of top metal guitarists should at least have Glenn in the top ten. How they are both that low, I have no idea. I bet most of the guitarists they listed above them were either infleunced by Tipton or Downing, or both of them.
25.10.2009 - 09:22
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.10.2009 at 09:13

Written by Hermann Langke on 24.10.2009 at 17:27

What?!

It definitely should be a lot higher. Any list of top metal guitarists should at least have Glenn in the top ten. How they are both that low, I have no idea. I bet most of the guitarists they listed above them were either infleunced by Tipton or Downing, or both of them.

I mailed the author about it.They should have atleast been in the top 15.They had a huge impact on Metal.
25.10.2009 - 09:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hermann Langke on 25.10.2009 at 09:22
I mailed the author about it.They should have atleast been in the top 15.They had a huge impact on Metal.

For sure. So many of metal's greatest bands were directly influenced by Priest: Death, Slayer, Helloween, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Iced Earth, Kreator, Megadeth, Nevermore, Testament...and that's just for starters!
25.10.2009 - 09:33
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.10.2009 at 09:31

For sure. So many of metal's greatest bands were directly influenced by Priest: Death, Slayer, Helloween, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Iced Earth, Kreator, Megadeth, Nevermore, Testemant...and that's just for starters!

Yeah.Metal is unimaginable without Priest.
25.10.2009 - 10:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast

For sure. So many of metal's greatest bands were directly influenced by Priest: Death, Slayer, Helloween, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Iced Earth, Kreator, Megadeth, Nevermore, Testament...and that's just for starters!

i think it suffices to say that Adrian Smith and Dave Murray from Iron Maiden were influenced by KK & Glenn, the songs Stained Class, Tyrant, Victim of Changes, etc. they were among the first to use really gainy guitars in dual harmony(though IM made that popular, dual harmony guitars were just one of the Priest's mighty tools), Smith and Murray may say they wanted to do stuff like Wishbone Ash, Thin Lizzy, UFO or whatnot but Priest's rawness gave a far clearer direction, setting the stage for 80s metal.
25.10.2009 - 17:33
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Valentin B on 25.10.2009 at 10:52

i think it suffices to say that Adrian Smith and Dave Murray from Iron Maiden were influenced by KK & Glenn, the songs Stained Class, Tyrant, Victim of Changes, etc. they were among the first to use really gainy guitars in dual harmony(though IM made that popular, dual harmony guitars were just one of the Priest's mighty tools), Smith and Murray may say they wanted to do stuff like Wishbone Ash, Thin Lizzy, UFO or whatnot but Priest's rawness gave a far clearer direction, setting the stage for 80s metal.

Now that's without a shadow of doubt.I don't see Metal the way it is today without Priest.
26.10.2009 - 00:04
ToMegaTherion

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.10.2009 at 10:29

Thanks, its pretty damn good, but i think i still prefer Tipton. But still a very tough comparison.
29.10.2009 - 22:05
Hellish Star

That's like making a choice between my father and mother
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
02.11.2009 - 11:58
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Hellish Star on 29.10.2009 at 22:05

That's like making a choice between my father and mother

HAHA That's really funny.I would go for my father-Glenn Tipton.
05.06.2010 - 14:30
Vegard R

Maybe Glenn have better guitar technique and is a more important person in the songwriting-process than K.K., but I will still go with K.K., cause he has most definitely the coolest attitude! Glenn's attitude is somewhat "glammy". That alone is the reason why my greatest hero as a young metalhead was K.K. Downing!
09.12.2010 - 08:08
varunchandar

Its a very tough one ..... glenn is the backbone of the band .... he works really hard constructing his solos and leads .... that is why most of them are penned by him .... he is more versatile and varied in his playing ... whereas kk is more spontaneous ... he uses his whammy bar and dive bombs to great effect .... a lot of kk's solos are written on the spot ... ex - his solo on 'one shot at glory' was written at one go ... n he loves to improvise during live performances

very difficult ... both guitarists are technically brilliant and can portray emotions from their solos really well

i would go for kk .... because his improvisations and spontaneous antics can sometimes create magic .... n well his rockstar attitude is amazing
09.04.2012 - 16:59
Infernal Eternal

Tipton for his solo in Painkiller.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
24.11.2012 - 21:54
tommysawyer

Fuck, this is like choosing between my two kids. Glenn may be a better guitar player, but K.K. is by far cooler and plays with more passion. I would by far rather meet K.K.