Metal Storm logo
Reccomend me Suffocation-ish Death Metal

25.10.2009 - 13:25
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I'm familiar with early Dying Fetus, Crematory from Sweden, the first Pyrexia album, Insision and Deeds of Flesh.

So reccomend me some stuff like 90's Suffocation. Is there anything up to to the same standard as Effigy of the Forgotten? I doubt it but give me some bands to check.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
25.10.2009 - 15:56
Hexenmeister

Well, not trying to be a smartass, but have you listened to Suffocation's newest album, 'Blood Oath'?

It's a lot like their '90s material but with better production. Great album.

Other than that, Immolation comes to mind who are another technical death metal band from NYC.
25.10.2009 - 19:03
Endoftherainbow

Try checking out Defeated Sanity you'll probably enjoy it.
26.10.2009 - 08:47
WeinerShrinkerMX

The only suffocation-ish band i enjoy is suffocation, but since you are looking for a suffocation rip off band i suggest you banishment
----
i'm going to wacken 2011, if someone wants to join me please contact me. also looking for a german pal (english or spanish spoken) who let me stay with him/her at his/her place for a month.
PLEASE HELP A METAL BROTHER IN NEED
26.10.2009 - 11:05
TheBigRossowski

Get an account at Last.fm or get this iPod genius program... they'll recommend you stuff, man.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
27.10.2009 - 17:06
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Beheaded from Malta comes to my mind, I like them more than Suffocation even while they copy them without shame. But you probably know them so...
28.10.2009 - 00:48
theflyingmachine

I was going to say Sermon of Mockery, but it looks like that it already covered.
Try Morpheus Descends and Pyaemia if you don't mind underground production.
28.10.2009 - 13:11
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Morpheus Descends is good. Meant to mention them in my first post.

The track from the first Beheaded album on their myspace sounds pretty good. 2 newer tracks started to sound like dull brutal death so stopped listening.

Defeated Sanity isn't what I'm looking for. There's got to be memorable riffs in the sometimes. I can appreciate what a lot of these Brutal Death bands are going for but to me it's just noise that's forgotten in an instant.

and I haven't heard the new Suffocation actually. I was so disappointed by the self-titled album that I really can't be bothered. Guess even the best bands eventually get it wrong.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
29.10.2009 - 15:29
theflyingmachine

Written by -tom- on 28.10.2009 at 13:11

and I haven't heard the new Suffocation actually.

You aren't really missing out. I'd take any other Suffocation album over this one any day, which doesn't say much...but it sucks.
13.02.2010 - 02:45
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Well the two albums i believe suit the query are Pyrexia - Sermon of Mockery, which has already been mentioned, and Dehumanized - Prophecies Foretold, particularly the title track which is a monster of a track!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
13.02.2010 - 02:48
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Also, onward to golgotha by incantation could be viewed as similar to effigy imo. its an awesome album too, but you've probably already heard it
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
13.02.2010 - 05:21
theflyingmachine

Oh yea, Dehumanized kicks ass. Probably the most underrated band in death metal.
15.02.2010 - 13:29
Don Martin
le fu-
There's this Canadian band called Mortify which sounds like Suffo' and Decapitated having a violent party in your head, great! www.myspace.com/mortify
----
What a tackastrophe!
13.03.2010 - 21:20
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, the answer is pretty much right in your face with Cryptopsy's debut Blasphemy Made Flesh. Chances are you've heard it already but if you haven't this is your best option. Don't even bother with Suffo's new album. For your ear's sake seek out the remastered version of the Cryptopsy album on the net or just buy it, you won't regret it.

oh and almost forgot to suggest Banishment's album as well.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
15.03.2010 - 22:19
Vehemont

Visioneerie took the words from my mouth there. Cryptopsy is a great band and you can't go wrong with either Blasphemy Made Flesh or None so Vile. Also maybe Hate Eternal is a good choice, and so is Krisiun in my opinion.
16.03.2010 - 02:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I may have mis-remembered what they sound like but surely the most obvious answer here is Gorguts, particularly The Erosion of Sanity album? I'll double check but I'm sure the main appeal of that album is that it was an Effigy of the Forgotten sound-a-like. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Suffocation might as well have well stopped with Effigy of the Forgotten. although Akercocke kinda revived that style combined with Killing Joke's signature sound to some extent. Even David Gray said that Suffocation broke the mould with that album.

And also, the last two Suffocation albums suck so much ass it actually hurts.
16.03.2010 - 04:32
theflyingmachine

They are quite different, but I guess I can see similarities between early Suffocation and early Gorguts (though Suffocation is still heavier).

I agree with the last album sucking ass, but the one before isn't bad IMO.
16.03.2010 - 05:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by theflyingmachine on 16.03.2010 at 04:32

They are quite different, but I guess I can see similarities between early Suffocation and early Gorguts (though Suffocation is still heavier).

I agree with the last album sucking ass, but the one before isn't bad IMO.

The s/t is just too upfront and in your face with the production for me, just drowns out any of the potential awesomeness.
16.03.2010 - 19:10
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
The self-titled is actually quite good imo. It is in no way supposed to be compared with Pierced or Effigy, just a cool death metal album on its own with a different sound. As for Blood Oath, you can look at it any way you want, it's just downright boring.
I really think that Cryptopsy's Blasphemy Made Flesh has become my favorite death metal album. The chord progressions are just so punishing and oozing with goodness. The songwriting is great and what to be said about Flo Mounier and Lord Worm ? Mutants.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
16.03.2010 - 22:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Perhaps give Obscura a shot. They are a technically accomplished death metal band. vocals are more shrieked than the subsonic growls of Suffocation, but the music as a whole also marries fury with speed and precision.

amusingly, and i realized this just after posting - i just picked up Retribution today and it contains a cover of "Synthetically Revived" by Suffocation, as well as Death's "Lack of Comprehension" and Morbid Angel's "God of Emptiness"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.03.2010 - 00:39
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by BitterCOld on 16.03.2010 at 22:21

Perhaps give Obscura a shot. They are a technically accomplished death metal band. vocals are more shrieked than the subsonic growls of Suffocation, but the music as a whole also marries fury with speed and precision.

Meh Obscura don't sound like Suffocation. Suffo's of a heavier and more straightforward nature. I liked Cosmogenesis at first but after recurring listens I couldn't help but notice that their sound is a little too generic and the lack of heaviness in the production slowly killed it for me. Great musicians by all means though.
----
20.03.2010 - 01:09
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Dying Fetus biggest influence is Suffocation so u might wanna check them out
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
20.03.2010 - 16:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Visioneerie on 17.03.2010 at 00:39

Meh Obscura don't sound like Suffocation. Suffo's of a heavier and more straightforward nature. I liked Cosmogenesis at first but after recurring listens I couldn't help but notice that their sound is a little too generic and the lack of heaviness in the production slowly killed it for me. Great musicians by all means though.

check out Retribution, that release seems closer to Suffocation.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.03.2010 - 04:55
BenWasHere

Inveracity's album Extermination of Millions is like Suffocation kind of. I doubt you can find them on youtube though.
21.03.2010 - 05:06
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by BenWasHere on 21.03.2010 at 04:55

Inveracity's album Extermination of Millions is like Suffocation kind of. I doubt you can find them on youtube though.

There's plenty of vids of them on youtube and there's also myspace. They're a fairly well known brutal death band, being signed to Unique Leader. Actually, most of the bands on that label are Suffocation-like.
22.03.2010 - 02:59
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by BitterCOld on 20.03.2010 at 16:47

Written by Visioneerie on 17.03.2010 at 00:39

check out Retribution, that release seems closer to Suffocation.

Yeah I should give it a go. Cosmogenesis is completely overshadowing their debut but at the same time I'm sure it appeals to a wider audience so it doesn't come as surprising.
----
24.03.2010 - 15:52
SilentScream
Blasphemer
It may or may not be your cup of tea, but I would give a try to Megaslaughter. Old school death madness!
13.09.2011 - 23:18
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.10.2009 at 17:06

Beheaded from Malta comes to my mind, I like them more than Suffocation even while they copy them without shame.

Hahaha, that is true!
14.09.2011 - 01:30
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Well... Suffocation is so different than other BDM bands, so the only band I can offer is Morpheus Descends which is responsible for the creation of Suffocation. Influenced them a lot.
14.09.2011 - 01:51
theflyingmachine

I bought Baphomet's The Dead Shall Inherit and Torture Krypt's Resurrecting the Crypts recently. Both have some similarities to Suffocation, and both are good and underrated.