Metal Storm logo
Metallica with Dave Mustaine.

Original post

Posted by Hermann Langke, 25.10.2009 - 17:54
Metallica are the Holy Grail of Thrash Metal.Now we all know that,once,it also had Dave Mustaine in its ranks.Now I want to know where would have Metallica been now had the volatile but hyper-talented Mustaine still been around with them?

Poll

Where would Metallica be had Dave Mustaine still been a member?

They would have been even greater
Can't say
They would have gone down
They would have stayed the way they are

Total votes: 171
02.03.2010 - 13:16
farshid

Surely no one knows what would happen but imo now we have two of the greatest metal bands ever so i think replacing Hammett was a good idea!
also i dont like the lyrics of Mechanix but imagine the lyrics of The four horsemen!that's great!
12.05.2010 - 10:09
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by farshid on 02.03.2010 at 13:16

Surely no one knows what would happen but imo now we have two of the greatest metal bands ever so i think replacing Hammett was a good idea!
also i dont like the lyrics of Mechanix but imagine the lyrics of The four horsemen!that's great!

Agreed.
13.05.2010 - 02:55
whatsacow

This is hard, because if metallica had mustaine, then at least they would have a guitarist who knows how to play his instrument, and not rely entirely on a wah pedal and take three months to get one song right.
But judging by where both bands are at the moment, I'd say they're new albums would still be terrible.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
14.05.2010 - 05:26
kakalokola

Although i dont see or cant see dave mustaine in metallica. and you can just bring down a great band like metallica, although ama megadeth kinda of people.
but i dont think its a good idea to have dave in metallica, having james and dave is such a crazy idea ..cant have two two kings for one kingdom
14.05.2010 - 07:22
JohnWayneGacy666

Megadeth is a great band that exists because Mustaine was kicked out of metallica, but master of puppets could of been even better
14.05.2010 - 16:48
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by JohnWayneGacy666 on 14.05.2010 at 07:22

Megadeth is a great band that exists because Mustaine was kicked out of metallica, but master of puppets could of been even better

Master of Puppets could HAVE been better? How? Please give an explanation.

Why people complain about MOP? In my humble opinion, Kirk Hammet gave his most inspired guitar work on MOP. I have my complaints about him on later albums, but not in the Burton era albums.
30.10.2010 - 23:27
DLaiho

Metallica was a lot better with Mustaine in it but if they hadn't kicked Dave out there wouldn be megadeth
31.10.2010 - 17:46
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Well, to be subjective and neutral i think almost everybody would agree that the metallica albums with contributions from Dave Mustaine were the best metallica albums, and are what got metallica that big in the first place, and afterwards they went downhill until they reached the level of St. Anger, which in the most professional manner i'd have to describe it as a big flaming piece of stinking shit.
so, logically speaking, if Mustaine had stayed with metallica they surely would've gone even bigger than they already are and made more great albums like the old ones.

so, that being said and answering the main question of the thread, i'd like to add that i am glad that Mustaine left metallica, coz otherwise we wouldnt have Megadeth which is a far superior band both musically and lyrically.

if anybody has noticed; i dont even capitalize metallica anymore when i write it down
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
01.11.2010 - 14:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
People really are putting too much weight to Mustaine's contirbutions to Metallica. He only contributed some stuff to songs on the first couple of albums. You people seem to think he somehow contributed to each and every song.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2010 - 19:33
Kennoth

Written by Zombie on 31.10.2010 at 17:46

if anybody has noticed; i dont even capitalize metallica anymore when i write it down

I noticed you don't capitalize a lot of stuff not limited to Metallica
----
*insert something deep and profound*
01.11.2010 - 19:49
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Kennoth on 01.11.2010 at 19:33

Written by Zombie on 31.10.2010 at 17:46

I noticed you don't capitalize a lot of stuff not limited to Metallica

Odd how he chooses to capitalize St. Anger instead.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
02.11.2010 - 01:57
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Well lately I've been appreciating Megadeth a lot more these days. If Dave Mustaine was still with Metallica that'd be pretty fucking awesome.
03.11.2010 - 08:09
zomgmetal
Account deleted
I'm pretty glad they split, since Megadeth is my favorite thrash band.
09.11.2010 - 16:13
Raven Of Death

They would have been even greater because The MEGADETH Band will never Been Created !!!! hahahaha

Megadeth is The Greatest Band
23.11.2010 - 08:22
Asgard Bard

I think I had this discussion the first time, like, 14 years ago ahah.

Metallica with Mustaine would not have grown and matured the way they did. "Kill'em all" is a great debut album, but is no "Puppets". No Hammett, no "Puppets". And that's just that, hombres.

Also, the great band that is Megadeth would not exist. And believe me, Megadeth also got bigger in terms of compositions, lyrics, etc, because Mustaine always had an eye on Metallica. He was always on competition with them.

Plus, Mustaine is a leader. As Hetfield is a leader. Of musicians and of men. Come on, Megadeth is just a word. We could call it "Dave Mustaine Band", it would not shock anyone. In long term, Hetfield and Mustaine would not be able to coexist in the same band. Mustaine is no second man, as Hammett is.

Nothing wrong in being Hetfield's second man! But Mustaine was born to be number one. Even if he screws up. It's HIS band he screws up. Not anybody else's.

Metallica could have survive without Hammett. Fuck, it survived without Burton!

But not without Hetfield.

Though, without Hammett it wouldn't be one of the best, and one of my favourite bands, but that's another story.
23.11.2010 - 21:03
Runemaster211

I see Kirk as the better guitarist, since Megadeth is really only a training ground to see who is better than Dave, which is a lot of people. Metallica is a better band than Megadeath, only because Dave tries to compete with Metallica and simply fails
26.11.2010 - 06:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2010 at 14:48

People really are putting too much weight to Mustaine's contirbutions to Metallica. He only contributed some stuff to songs on the first couple of albums. You people seem to think he somehow contributed to each and every song.

I have noticed its very much becoming a trend for people to act as if Metallica would not exist, if not for Dave Mustaine. Also that Metallica would be nothing if not for him, and even that he "single-handedly invented thrash". And that he "wrote" the first two albums. (even one time, someone said he wrote the first 3 albums! lol) I think this is very much a by-product of many not wishing to give Metallica any credit for their position in the 80's thrash scene. And they feel by giving all their credit to Dave Mustaine instead, they are technically rubbishing the rest of Metallica. A classic example of this warped sense of thinking, is Ive heard some claiming that Dave wrote "Hit The Lights". Despite the fact that song was written even before Metallica existed by James, and it was recorded by Metallica with another lead guitarist before Dave joined! It just proves that with many people's negativity towards Metallica, you have to take it with a pinch of salt, because they arent even living in reality, where Metallica are concerned. :\
26.11.2010 - 11:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.11.2010 at 06:33

A classic example of this warped sense of thinking, is Ive heard some claiming that Dave wrote "Hit The Lights". Despite the fact that song was written even before Metallica existed by James, and it was recorded by Metallica with another lead guitarist before Dave joined!

Yeah, that one always cracks me up.

What people seem to forget, or don't know is, that on the first pressing of Metal Massacre I (on which Metallica was misspelled as Mettalica and McGovney's name was also misspelled) "Hit The Lights" was recorded with Lloyd Grant on guitar. When the second pressing was released a new version of "Hit The Lights" was featured on it. A re-recording of the same song but now with Mustaine instead of grant and also no spelling mistakes concerning bandname and bassplayer's name.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.11.2010 - 12:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2010 at 11:02
Yeah, that one always cracks me up.

What people seem to forget, or don't know is, that on the first pressing of Metal Massacre I (on which Metallica was misspelled as Mettalica and McGovney's name was also misspelled) "Hit The Lights" was recorded with Lloyd Grant on guitar. When the second pressing was released a new version of "Hit The Lights" was featured on it. A re-recording of the same song but now with Mustaine instead of grant and also no spelling mistakes concerning bandname and bassplayer's name.

Yep, the moment people say stuff like that, I cant take anything they have to say about Metallica, or the 80's thrash scene seriously. lol What you have just said should be common knowledge for any real old school thrash fan that's worth their salt. "Hit The Lights" was actually written by James while he was still in the band Leather Charm, which he was in before forming Metallica with Lars. But many people seem to be unaware of this, and the fact that the original cut of the song by Metallica featured Lloyd Grant on lead guitar, not Dave Mustaine. Its fun when you explain that to people who claim Dave "wrote" the song, they usually dont say anything afterwards. xD
22.05.2011 - 06:39
king_matt

I say they'd stay about the same. Mustaine and Hammet are both great guitarists and songwriters.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
22.05.2011 - 06:43
Void_Eater
Account deleted
They would have been far better. Killem ALl and RTL are Metallica's best albums, and they both have a significant Dave influence. However, if he would have stayed, we wouldn't have Megadeth, which would be a shame.
23.05.2011 - 05:08
Doom Trooper

Consider how hectic things became between Lars and James on the Some Kind Of Monster DVD. Just add the snobbish control freak Dave Mustaine to the mix. I do not think Metallica would of even lasted as long as they did. In my opinion they would of most likely broke up after only releasing a few albums. The quality of those albums is another debate though.
27.05.2011 - 01:09
Zombie94

Dave would have either been kicked out eventually for his drug problems or simply left the band over one of the various disputes he had with James. I'm actually happy Mustaine got fired, it gave birth to what I believe is an even better band in Megadeth.
27.05.2011 - 03:12
JD
Account deleted
I think Dave will leave the band somehow and starts another band, he is a leader IMO, so voted for "They would have stayed the way they are"
28.05.2011 - 05:07
Hellhound

I am not a fan of Mustaine as a person, but as a Metallica member he added alot to the band. I highly doubt that he was the missing ingredient resulting in the atrocity known only as St. Anger. Its very possible that Mustaine would have jumped ship when he saw Metallica taking a turn for the worse but it is impossible to really know how Metallica would have turned out had Mustaine stayed.
01.06.2011 - 06:15
m3ta1he4d

They would have been more melodic/technical.. which is great, IMO..
17.06.2011 - 21:30
Valdris

'Tallica just wouldnt have been the tallica with ride the lightning..or MoP. they just wouldve been a band with some serious tension and violent shit happening between the members.
Well ok lets imagine Mustaine wasn't such a crazy belligerent mothafucka in those days, and that he, Hetfield and Mcgovney were chill with each other, no doubt they wouldve continued on the road making some seriously musical, mind blowing, groundbreaking thrash...TRANSCENDING MoP...but probably up until the early 90s... just like the mustaine-less-metallica did. Even a metallica with mustaine wouldve lost their no life till' leather attitude eventually yknow, history wouldve repeated itself in a way. Mustaine wouldn't had the drive for that 'redemption' he struggled for after getting kicked out. Not to piss off anybody but i think getting kicked out made him buckle down and practice until he had no choice but to be the fkn guitar god today.

Haha, i coudnt see them falling to a load/reload phase tho.
17.06.2011 - 21:33
Valdris

Question is as big as a mindfuck as asking 'would metallica be the same if burton survived that crash'.
26.06.2011 - 05:12
JD
Account deleted
Written by Valdris on 17.06.2011 at 21:33

'would metallica be the same if burton survived that crash'.

Good question, but i don't think anyone can answer this.
27.06.2011 - 00:18
Mattybu

Written by Guest on 26.06.2011 at 05:12

Written by Valdris on 17.06.2011 at 21:33

'would metallica be the same if burton survived that crash'.

Good question, but i don't think anyone can answer this.

You kidding? Of course they wouldn't! Cliff runs Jason Newsted and Rob out the door. They would've been so much better.

At least Cliff was only around for the good albums though. If he hadn't died, then gone on to make the black album, then died and it was the last thing he did... That would just be too disappointing.