Metal Storm logo
Prog rock

17.05.2006 - 14:09
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
I'm starting to get into the prog rock genre. Looking for some ideas of what to look at. Some bands I plan on looking into are:

Gryphon
Renaissance
The Tea Party
White Willow
Caravan

I'm not looking for the obvious Pink Floyd/Jethro Tull recommendations. I'm looking for something different.
----
17.05.2006 - 14:38
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Try Camel, they are very good.
17.05.2006 - 16:31
Daibh
Account deleted
Well, the three main ones you should be aiming for are YES, King Crimson and ELP (Emerson, Lake and Palmer). Indeed, if you find some albums by The Nice your prog-rock collection will have all the propigators of the genre set in place. You can't go far wrong from there.
17.05.2006 - 16:50
Damnated
Churchburner
Well, I wanted to say Camel, the top of prog rock IMO, but also try Colosseum, Wheater Report, and offcourse Genesis.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.05.2006 - 17:33
Geddysciple
Wait, is that Weather Report, as in Jaco Pastorius, Joe Zawinul, 1970s jazz fusion act Weather Report?
17.05.2006 - 17:36
Damnated
Churchburner
Jazz rock, yes.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.05.2006 - 18:42
Horlequism
Account deleted
The Tea Party is progressive rock? I don't think so...

Anyway, Rush is a great progressive rock band from Canada to get into but I'm sure you already have...they mix progressive rock with phsychedelia...
19.05.2006 - 03:25
eleftheria
Account deleted
The Tea Party is a great band, but not progressive rock. Anyway, look into them.

Some very good prog-rock bands:
-Rush
-Camel
-King Crimson
-Yes
-Genesis
-Emerson Lake and Palmer
-Kansas
-Caravan
-Soft Machine
-Van Der Graaf Generator

check also this site: http://www.progarchives.com/
19.05.2006 - 11:44
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Thanks for the help, folks. About The Tea Party, I remember reading somewhere they're prog rock. Can't remember where, though.
----
19.05.2006 - 13:08
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I would recommend some albums:

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (legendary)
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again, I´d Do It All Over You (my favourite album at the moment)
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink (in this album Caravan features its most distinct sound)
Matching Mole - Matching Mole (weird fun)
King Crimson - Lark´s Tongue in Aspic

And there´s of course Pink Floyd but everybody probably knows them
19.05.2006 - 17:33
Stoemp
Definitely try Fates Warning. They are a well known progrock(-metal) band too. Especially their last 2 albums are really great (IMHO).
http://www.fateswarning.com
21.05.2006 - 13:29
STorM_BlasT
Account deleted
Camel the Snow goose!
JESUS what an Album !@!@!@
I started out with Rush with a little Yes and then Camel.
What a master Piece!
Anyways dont even download it - Just buy it!
ANd if you hate Prog-rock Vocals this Albums has no Vocals.
Just goddamn great!
Enjoy
21.05.2006 - 23:41
Avenant
Profane Seraph
Hmmm...do Porcupine tree count?
22.05.2006 - 02:13
Alfonso
Now if you're into FUCKED-UP sounding prog, try Univers Zero, and the more contemporary Guapo.
----
26.05.2006 - 01:51
Daru Jericho
Flower Kings. Beautiful Swedish prog rock group. They did an amazing cover of Genesis' 'Cinema Show'.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

26.05.2006 - 12:08
Bankler
Account deleted
We have to thank Prog Rock for giving us the opportunity to listen to Prog Metal, even if Prog Rock sounds abit strange.
27.05.2006 - 20:01
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
If you like Prog Folk like Jethro Tull or Gryphon you can also try Los Jaivas. They're a south-american band (I think they're from Columbia but I'm not sure) and they blend traditional Peruvian / Chilean folk music with heavier progressive rock. The result is simply great The vocals (in Spanish) are also awesome. Try "Alturas De Macchu Picchu" (The Heights Of Macchu Picchu); actually it is the only album by them that I have but I expect the other ones to be as great as this one
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
27.05.2006 - 23:55
Detric
King Of Twilight
Comus: If you are looking for some exellent prog folk, Comus is the answer! This is not typical prog folk. What I really like about Comus is that they like to speed up the tempo in their songs, very unpredictable, and who dosent love unpredictable music? Fantastic band.

Eloy: German psychedelic masters! These guys are just unbelievable. Beautiful melodies and guitar riffs with strange and awesome electronical sounds that makes you think of the Floyd classics, great stuff!

Magma: Crazy and fucked up zeuhl from France. I love this band, because their sound is so unique and original, and that makes them stand out from any other band in the genre. Extremely progressive and weird as hell, a must for every prog fan.

You can listen to some mp3's from the bands I listed at www.prog-archives.com
28.05.2006 - 11:43
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by Detric on 27.05.2006 at 23:55

Eloy: German psychedelic masters! These guys are just unbelievable. Beautiful melodies and guitar riffs with strange and awesome electronical sounds that makes you think of the Floyd classics, great stuff!

How could I forget these guys ??!!

And I've just checked on prog-archives : Los Jaivas aren't from Columbia but from Chile (not a very big information but...)
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
29.05.2006 - 06:05
Alfonso
Written by Guest on 26.05.2006 at 12:08

We have to thank Prog Rock for giving us the opportunity to listen to Prog Metal, even if Prog Rock sounds abit strange.

This is actually my main beef with prog rock. I abhor most prog metal bands (Cynic and a few others excluded).

HOW THE FUCK could I forget about Magma!?!? You all need to see their live DVD, Trilogie au Trianon, it's one of the most intense, fucked up concert experiences I've ever seen.

Sehkmet, thank you for mentioning Los Jaivas! There's a new band around here called Flor de Loto which is kinda like an extension/update on Jaivas' sound... look them up!
----
29.05.2006 - 08:40
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
Written by Alfonso on 29.05.2006 at 06:05

Written by Guest on 26.05.2006 at 12:08

This is actually my main beef with prog rock. I abhor most prog metal bands (Cynic and a few others excluded).

HOW THE FUCK could I forget about Magma!?!? You all need to see their live DVD, Trilogie au Trianon, it's one of the most intense, fucked up concert experiences I've ever seen.

Sehkmet, thank you for mentioning Los Jaivas! There's a new band around here called Flor de Loto which is kinda like an extension/update on Jaivas' sound... look them up!

Same with me...I cant stand Prog-metal , WHile I love prog rock.
Technical metal is nice, Prog I detest.
29.05.2006 - 11:56
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Written by Sekhmet on 28.05.2006 at 11:43

That sounds quite interesting. Might search for some of their music when I'm home.
How could I forget these guys ??!!

And I've just checked on prog-archives : Los Jaivas aren't from Columbia but from Chile (not a very big information but...)
30.05.2006 - 02:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 19.05.2006 at 03:25

The Tea Party is a great band, but not progressive rock. Anyway, look into them.

Some very good prog-rock bands:
-Rush
-Camel
-King Crimson
-Yes
-Genesis
-Emerson Lake and Palmer
-Kansas
-Caravan
-Soft Machine
-Van Der Graaf Generator

check also this site: http://www.progarchives.com/

You meantion great bands, I like all exept I never hear last 3 and Camal, about Caravan, I know Black Sabbath song
That link its more prog metal, bands like Opeth, Dream Theatre, Nightiwsh what thay doing there and so.

Here are soem good bands

Golden Earling from Holand
Jan Anderson and Jetro Tull
Wizard
Stepenwolf
Fleetwood Mac and Stevy Nix
Styx river what I love to cross now
Genesiss
ELO(Electoc Light Orcestra)
Toto

About ELP what was name of drummer there?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.05.2006 - 02:11
Elijah
Dance, bitch!

Comus: If you are looking for some exellent prog folk, Comus is the answer! This is not typical prog folk. What I really like about Comus is that they like to speed up the tempo in their songs, very unpredictable, and who dosent love unpredictable music? Fantastic band.

Magma: Crazy and fucked up zeuhl from France. I love this band, because their sound is so unique and original, and that makes them stand out from any other band in the genre. Extremely progressive and weird as hell, a must for every prog fan.

You can listen to some mp3's from the bands I listed at www.prog-archives.com

I have both of Comus' studio albums, and enjoy them immensely. I remember you recommended Magma in my old Comus thread, so I went and checked them out by downloading three albums, and I'm very taken with them.
----
02.06.2006 - 16:46
Graveheart
Riverside from Poland has two wonderful albums. As if Opeth, Anathema, Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree had a beautiful child.
03.06.2006 - 01:46
Dam3k
what about supertramp =)?
----

03.06.2006 - 02:07
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I also don´t like most of progressive metal - bands like Dream Theater tend to resort to wankery and cheese. I love Tool, though but maybe this ain´t stricktly progressive metal.

But progressive rock, especially from the 70s, is great. As I probably have said, Caravan is my favourite band at the moment (and Tool). Albums "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I´d Do It All Over You" and "In the Land of Grey and Pink" are marvellous gems and sadly overlooked.
03.06.2006 - 12:19
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
Written by John Barleycorn on 03.06.2006 at 02:07

I also don´t like most of progressive metal - bands like Dream Theater tend to resort to wankery and cheese. I love Tool, though but maybe this ain´t stricktly progressive metal.

But progressive rock, especially from the 70s, is great. As I probably have said, Caravan is my favourite band at the moment (and Tool). Albums "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I´d Do It All Over You" and "In the Land of Grey and Pink" are marvellous gems and sadly overlooked.

Yeah dude, Cant agree with you more.
Great wording.
08.06.2006 - 21:21
Horlequism
Account deleted
Gentle Giant is a great progressive rock band from the 70s that I would recommend...I wouldn't recommend and of their later material up to them they disbanded though...
09.06.2006 - 18:36
Damnated
Churchburner
Something similar to PPT and also, very good : Osiric Tentacles
----