Metal Storm logo
Prog rock

Original post

Posted by Elijah, 17.05.2006 - 14:09
I'm starting to get into the prog rock genre. Looking for some ideas of what to look at. Some bands I plan on looking into are:

Gryphon
Renaissance
The Tea Party
White Willow
Caravan

I'm not looking for the obvious Pink Floyd/Jethro Tull recommendations. I'm looking for something different.
22.04.2012 - 23:29
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 22.04.2012 at 23:19

For example Sun Caged are influneced by DT big time but nevertheless they pull it of nicely somehow. Same with Redemption and Dreamscape (and their last album gets further away from the DT sound which is great).

Sun Caged and Redemption I can listen to, but not a lot of it anyway. Now that you mentioned it, I think Dreamscape's second album was what made me throw that Facebook fit in the first place
----
7.0 means the album is good
22.04.2012 - 23:33
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 22.04.2012 at 23:29

Written by Guest on 22.04.2012 at 23:19

For example Sun Caged are influneced by DT big time but nevertheless they pull it of nicely somehow. Same with Redemption and Dreamscape (and their last album gets further away from the DT sound which is great).

Sun Caged and Redemption I can listen to, but not a lot of it anyway. Now that you mentioned it, I think Dreamscape's second album was what made me throw that Facebook fit in the first place

BTW, Arno Menses of Subsignal is guest vocalist on Dreamscape's last album (the song is called A Mental Journey); awesome song if you ask me.
22.04.2012 - 23:35
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 22.04.2012 at 23:33

BTW, Arno Menses of Subsignal is guest vocalist on Dreamscape's last album (the song is called A Mental Journey); awesome song if you ask me.

Arno will promptly find on youtube or wherever... screw homework.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up! It reminded me why I fell so strongly in love with Arno's voice when I heard my first Sieges Even album. Flawed but yet so powerful and genuine, I lack words. And the song is pretty good too.
----
23.04.2012 - 00:03
Fritillaria
Account deleted
@ Mora you got me wrong are all the emotional songs , pop shit ? !! Second Life Syndrome is one of the best songs I have ever listened to in the prog style it is so emotional and at the same the music has written by great amount of talent and knowledge of music , and I really consider Lethe by Dark Tranquility one of the most emotional songs I have ever listened to in Melo Death , and the song by Pain of Salvation is one of the well structured songs in the album ! and your university fellows are into pop music so don't compare that with what I said. I am talking about metal music.
23.04.2012 - 00:09
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 23.04.2012 at 00:03

@ Mora you got me wrong are all the emotional songs , pop shit ? !! Second Life Syndrome is one of the best songs I have ever listened to in the prog style it is so emotional and at the same the music has written by great amount of talent and knowledge of music , and I really consider Lethe by Dark Tranquility one of the most emotional songs I have ever listened to in Melo Death , and the song by Pain of Salvation is one of the well structured songs in the album ! and your university fellows are into pop music so don't compare that with what I said. I am talking about metal music.

You got me wrong actually I'm saying everyone feels differently about different things and made an example of people who don't find any sort of metal appealing, while you and I find it the most emotional music around. So if there are people with such drastic differences in opinion, it shouldn't be hard to imagine that there are two metalheads in the world, one of which finds this very appealing and emotional, and the other which doesn't.
----
23.04.2012 - 00:12
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

You got me wrong actually I'm saying everyone feels differently about different things and made an example of people who don't find any sort of metal appealing, while you and I find it the most emotional music around. So if there are people with such drastic differences in opinion, it shouldn't be hard to imagine that there are two metalheads in the world, one of which finds this very appealing and emotional, and the other which doesn't.

yeah you're right that make sense now
23.04.2012 - 08:19
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 23.04.2012 at 00:12

yeah you're right that make sense now

YES! I make sense!
----
23.04.2012 - 22:52
Written by Guest on 22.04.2012 at 23:00

Written by Milena on 22.04.2012 at 22:44

Written by Ethereal Tantrum on 13.04.2012 at 02:03

Ermmm...don't think he was saying there wasn't.

Knowing Marcel, that's more or less what he was saying

Considering the example you just named - unless you can read other people's minds, you can't tell what John Petrucci feels while he's playing but I think it is most probably a loving emotion, otherwise he wouldn't have dedicated countless hours to his craft.
I think what JP and guitarists like him plays, don't come out of their emotions it comes out of their skill which they have trained during years, ok I know there would,be many opinions opposed to mine, but I just said what I think as Marcel said above playing complex music is not really intelligent and I believe it comes out of trained skills and the amount their knowledge of music which they can put into practice, but writing emotional tunes which approximately are not complex to play is not something to be gained just by training skills or getting more knowledge and even experience.

Fair points.
:-)

Just not my thing , I guess.
Each to their own and all that good stuff.
:-D
----
www.enochiantheory.co.uk
24.04.2012 - 03:04
brahmanda
Http://brahmanda.bandcamp.com/
24.04.2012 - 05:43
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by brahmanda on 24.04.2012 at 03:04

Http://brahmanda.bandcamp.com/

there is a special thread to promote your music, not here.
31.05.2012 - 22:24
Neachy
I would like to recommend Astra (USA) - The Black Chord. Just a glorious neo-prog-esque release from this year.
31.05.2012 - 23:21
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Neachy on 31.05.2012 at 22:24

I would like to recommend Astra (USA) - The Black Chord. Just a glorious neo-prog-esque release from this year.

yea that is some pretty amazing shit, you can tell the band took this project very serious.
----
rekt
16.12.2012 - 22:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Check out Bateless Edge by Frogg Cafe! Very enjoyable at times (I have not digested it in full yet.)

A little trilogy within the album itself for your listening pleasure and appraisal:

----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.12.2012 - 10:21
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Neachy on 31.05.2012 at 22:24

Astra are great indeed, but you can't call them neo prog; neo-progressive is the prog movement , if I may say so started by bands like Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night early 80s. Astra can be classified as psychedelic/space rock. Prog elitists label them as retro-prog but there's like a negative connotation to it somehow.
18.12.2012 - 20:37
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
When I saw them live, Astra wasn't too exciting at all. I see them more as psychedelic than prog really but I only listened to like 5 songs when they opened for Anathema here in Portugal. I wasn't sold.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.12.2012 - 00:55
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by BloodTears on 18.12.2012 at 20:37

When I saw them live, Astra wasn't too exciting at all. I see them more as psychedelic than prog really but I only listened to like 5 songs when they opened for Anathema here in Portugal. I wasn't sold.

I thought Astra's new record was really good. Are they kind of boring live do you think? Maybe it could be different for me if ever I see them. I'm hoping they tour the LA region sometime (since they are from San Diego I believe).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
11.03.2013 - 14:43
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Graveheart on 02.06.2006 at 16:46

Riverside from Poland has two wonderful albums. As if Opeth, Anathema, Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree had a beautiful child.

Oh, at last. I was afraid that no one's mentioned "Riverside". Prog masters. Definitely.
09.11.2013 - 21:59
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Let me recommend Discipline, a symphonic prog rock band from Michigan. They have released three albums so far, two in the 90's: Push & Profit and Unfolded like Staircase and one in 2011 (after a reunion) - To Shatter all Accord. Very interesting band with vivid overdriven guitar intertwined with clean piano or synth and emotional, somewhat dreamy vocals, and some violin and sax. Interesting stuff, polyphonic passages (you know, prog)... the dudes also explore almost doomy soundscapes and some avantgarde fooling around. Check out one song from each album below:

----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

10.11.2013 - 00:21
mz
Written by K✞ulu on 09.11.2013 at 21:59

Let me recommend Discipline, a symphonic prog rock band from Michigan.

Excellent band. Their 2011 album was one of my best discovered that year. When She Dreams She Dreams in Color is one of the most emotionally intense songs I've ever heard. Any band similar to them beside Anglagard?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
10.11.2013 - 09:55
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by mz on 10.11.2013 at 00:21

Excellent band. Their 2011 album was one of my best discovered that year. When She Dreams She Dreams in Color is one of the most emotionally intense songs I've ever heard. Any band similar to them beside Anglagard?

Well, I don't find them similar to Anglagard, but I have heard people often comparing Discipline to Vad Der Graaf Generator while Anektoden is often mentioned together with Anglagard. Both (especially VDGG) are kinda hard to get into.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

10.11.2013 - 12:35
mz
Written by K✞ulu on 10.11.2013 at 09:55

Well, I don't find them similar to Anglagard, but I have heard people often comparing Discipline to Vad Der Graaf Generation while Anektoden is often mentioned together with Anglagard. Both (especially VDGG) are kinda hard to get into.

They were similar on my ears :/. I might be wrong since it has been almost two years that I haven't listened to any of them.
Abyway, thanks. Will go for VDGD.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
11.11.2013 - 22:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by mz on 10.11.2013 at 00:21

Been listening to Unfolded like Staircase, and I think I see the similarity between them: it is more in the emotive, calmer parts, and in the cooperation of drums and bass, which both sometimes create a rather dense and solid background for the rest of the music. Listening to Anekdoten's Vemod right now: it is also kind of similar to Anglagard with the powerful bass and drums, but these guys also have a little of that avantgarde craziness to them as well.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.11.2013 - 13:48
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Interesting, in my mind Anglagard and Anekdoten play prog on a similar wavelength perhaps but there is much to divide their two styles. One's much happier in a folky symphonic territory whereas the other is more of a psychedelic madhouse. Both are great to me, but I usually head for the madhouse myself.
14.11.2013 - 11:21
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by R'Vannith on 12.11.2013 at 13:48

Interesting, in my mind Anglagard and Anekdoten play prog on a similar wavelength perhaps but there is much to divide their two styles. One's much happier in a folky symphonic territory whereas the other is more of a psychedelic madhouse. Both are great to me, but I usually head for the madhouse myself.

Having listened to Vemod a few times, I do not see them having anything more crazy than Anglagard have on any of their records generally speaking. I think both bands compose their music combining dreamy passages with avantgarde bass-dominated parts. I will listen to some of their others albums soon. Meanwhile, I have discovered the third pillar of the Swedish prog scene: Landberk. They are like Anglagard and Anekdoten minus the crazy stuff it seems.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

14.11.2013 - 15:00
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

Having listened to Vemod a few times, I do not see them having anything more crazy than Anglagard have on any of their records generally speaking. I think both bands compose their music combining dreamy passages with avantgarde bass-dominated parts. I will listen to some of their others albums soon. Meanwhile, I have discovered the third pillar of the Swedish prog scene: Landberk. They are like Anglagard and Anekdoten minus the crazy stuff it seems.

Landberk are great indeed; The Flower Kings, Karmakanic, Kaipa are 3 other great Swedish bands.
15.11.2013 - 04:15
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 14.11.2013 at 11:21

Written by R'Vannith on 12.11.2013 at 13:48

Depends on what you find "crazy" about either of them. Dreamy passages and avantgarde bass dominated parts is an accurate description of their sounds but both are played differently. Anekdoten tend to have what I'd describe as a more repetitive nature, similar to a lot of psychedelic rock, particularly some krautrock minus all that electronic stuff. Anglagard are more intricate and complex and don't use nearly as much repetition and they tend to pack a lot more into individual tunes which are typically longer than the more concise and deliberate way Anekdoten write their songs.
For me there's a more "deliberate" or "direct" approach going on which makes them seem "crazier" in a sense, makes everything seem more pronounced if you know what I mean, which is only aided by the psychedelia of their keyboard. Anglgard are bit more whimsical, bit more "dreamlike" in a very folky sort of way.

As for the bass, it always sounded heavier with Anekdoten than with Anglagard, both sounding quite avantgarde though.
For Anekdoten I use my favourite album "Nucleus" as a point of reference, it goes beyond the sound of "Vemod" which is more similar to King Crimson than their later stuff.

I haven't heard any Landberk, but it certainly sounds like it will be my kind of thing, I'll be checking them out.
15.11.2013 - 04:22
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Guest on 14.11.2013 at 15:00

Landberk are great indeed; The Flower Kings, Karmakanic, Kaipa are 3 other great Swedish bands.

I don't listen to any of these three very often (or Karmakanic at all) but from what I recall "The Rainmaker" was a very good album from The Flower Kings, plenty of atmosphere with the most memorable thing about it being some strange "tribal"(?) vocals which came out of nowhere.

Kaipa comes across as a very happy kind of prog to me.
15.11.2013 - 10:56
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

I don't listen to any of these three very often (or Karmakanic at all) but from what I recall "The Rainmaker" was a very good album from The Flower Kings, plenty of atmosphere with the most memorable thing about it being some strange "tribal"(?) vocals which came out of nowhere.

Kaipa comes across as a very happy kind of prog to me.

The Flower Kings collaborated with Daniel Gildenlöw on the Unfold the Future (2002) album, he does some vocals and background vocals on the album, really good stuff if you ask me.

Yes, Kaipa is a pretty happy kind of prog, nothing wrong with that though.
16.11.2013 - 19:42
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by R'Vannith on 15.11.2013 at 04:15

Depends on what you find "crazy" about either of them. Dreamy passages and avantgarde bass dominated parts is an accurate description of their sounds but both are played differently. Anekdoten tend to have what I'd describe as a more repetitive nature, similar to a lot of psychedelic rock, particularly some krautrock minus all that electronic stuff. Anglagard are more intricate and complex and don't use nearly as much repetition and they tend to pack a lot more into individual tunes which are typically longer than the more concise and deliberate way Anekdoten write their songs.
For me there's a more "deliberate" or "direct" approach going on which makes them seem "crazier" in a sense, makes everything seem more pronounced if you know what I mean, which is only aided by the psychedelia of their keyboard. Anglgard are bit more whimsical, bit more "dreamlike" in a very folky sort of way.

As for the bass, it always sounded heavier with Anekdoten than with Anglagard, both sounding quite avantgarde though.
For Anekdoten I use my favourite album "Nucleus" as a point of reference, it goes beyond the sound of "Vemod" which is more similar to King Crimson than their later stuff.

I haven't heard any Landberk, but it certainly sounds like it will be my kind of thing, I'll be checking them out.

Well, I guess you described the differences well. Will be checking Nucleus...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.02.2014 - 19:06
Doge of Venice
I would recommend some stuff that's already been mentioned (the classics, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant etc). Spock's Beard, Phideaux and Beardfish.

Another band that I've really gotten into is Moon Safari. They are, I guess, Prog Pop. Essentially really fluffy Prog Rock. But they are so happy sounding, and they do 5 part vocal harmonies which can at times sound very reminiscent of Queen. Their newest album made me feel tonnes of nostalgic feelings, which is weird but pretty cool, though it's their 'heaviest' album, if you want to call it that. Newest album.