Metal Storm logo
Cannibal Corpse interview (10/2009)

With: George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher
Conducted by: Baz Anderson (in person)
Published: 31.10.2009

Band profile:

Cannibal Corpse

The U.K. leg of this tour marks the end of a trek over Europe for headliners Cannibal Corpse and supporting act Dying Fetus. The night before Halloween in a chilly Sheffield I got chance to have a lengthy chat with Corpsegrinder of Cannibal Corpse.

The interview took place in Dying Fetus' changing room with the band present. Before the interview took place I had a little chat with them and also Corpsegrinder himself when he arrived. He joked my first question would be "what is it like touring with Dying Fetus?" which he also joked he'd answer it was awful with the band eagerly watching the interview take place. No guesses for what the first question would be then...

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Afterwards we stayed and chatted about various other topics such as a girl and her mother on the phone at the previous show, and American plug sockets. The bands were clearly all in good spirits and rearing to get on stage.

Apologies for the shaky camera. A few pints had already been consumed.

A review of the night's show can be found at this location.

Thanks to Corpsegrinder for his time, and also Andy Turner for setting it up.
Conducted & edited by Barry Anderson, recorded by Tomas Drury.

Posted on 31.10.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 270 users
31.10.2009 - 18:27
Magatouve
Account deleted
I came to their show in London... it was brutal sick and aggressive Both bands were great: CC and Dying Fetus. The pit was like ... waaaaaaaaar.. in the beginning I was afraid to get in. They were all big brutes. I always think that I'm pretty average in size: 90 kg and 180 cm. But in that pit I felt really small But then I came in and it was such an experience.... I loved it!
31.10.2009 - 18:32
Magatouve
Account deleted
Nice interview.. I love Corpsegrinder, he's such a down-to-earth cool guy. But why was the camera shaking so much?
31.10.2009 - 18:50
Magatouve
Account deleted
Oh... well.... not so much down-to-earth really. I didn't like what he said about downloading. Without pirates I would have never known CC. In Syria we don't have originals anyway. Without pirates I wouldn't have come to their show and paid 23 pounds for that. Well... we are stealing the music but we're paying back in live and merchandise. I don't buy merchandise myself but many others do, he said they make most of their money out of it. I understand many smaller bands are much more affected by it, but also the internet offered them so much free stuff as bands... it has its ups and downs. But for a scene that was built over tape trading and all that non-commercial stuff, he shouldn't say "it's stealing period".
01.11.2009 - 00:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 31.10.2009 at 18:50

"it's stealing period".

No matter how beautiful people want to make it sound.. BUT IT IS STEALING. I don't know why people get so offended by it. We steal music.
You have a perfect excuse so you shouldn't feel bad about it. The problem is with people that have the money and have it easy when it comes to buy albums... But they don't, they don't give a shit and the top of it is that some of those people even try to complain about X band that didn't do a concert... That's just bullshit tbh, those kind of people don't deserve to complain about the band not doing a concert.... The reason is that they need to sell albums for that for fuck's sake.

It is stealing, period... Some of us have an excuse and it's understandable and respectable. The problem is with those who can but still don't... I download too, but I try to buy the albums of the band I downlaod as fast as I possibly can in order to pay back.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.11.2009 - 01:25
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.11.2009 at 00:19

Written by Guest on 31.10.2009 at 18:50

"it's stealing period".

No matter how beautiful people want to make it sound.. BUT IT IS STEALING. I don't know why people get so offended by it. We steal music.
You have a perfect excuse so you shouldn't feel bad about it. The problem is with people that have the money and have it easy when it comes to buy albums... But they don't, they don't give a shit and the top of it is that some of those people even try to complain about X band that didn't do a concert... That's just bullshit tbh, those kind of people don't deserve to complain about the band not doing a concert.... The reason is that they need to sell albums for that for fuck's sake.

It is stealing, period... Some of us have an excuse and it's understandable and respectable. The problem is with those who can but still don't... I download too, but I try to buy the albums of the band I downlaod as fast as I possibly can in order to pay back.

The problem is that downloading albums is only regarded stealing if you believe in copyrights. But the copyright thing was only invented maybe a 100 years ago in only some parts of the world... it's not an eternal human value that have been practised globally for thousands of years.... it's just a socially constructed concept that one has the right to accept or reject. Since downloading doesn't involve making money out of the music (unlike copying the music on CD's and selling them making money out of it on the account of the musicians) I still don't find it stealing. The problem is you cannot say to some people who have an excuse, like me let's say, you can download it and others you cannot. It's either you can or cannot based on if you believe in copyrights issues or not. But as I said, now the bands have other means to survive and make money. Metal, specially underground metal, was most of the time something that's not based on album sales. Once copyrights and making so much money dominates it, it doesn't remain the same... I tend to think that downloading is something that can protect metal from being overly commercial. There are people in the music industry who even believes in this. See this interview with Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree:
http://metalstorm.ee/pub/interview.php?interview_id=453
(Jump to question 6).
Anyway, it's a matter of values and beliefs. And this is where people mostly disagree
01.11.2009 - 01:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.11.2009 at 01:25

The problem is that downloading albums is only regarded stealing if you believe in copyrights.

Hhahahahahhaha if it only were THAT easy.
Naaaah, I don't think I should talk more about the subject, it's useless.

Let's agree that we disagree
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.11.2009 - 02:06
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.11.2009 at 01:38

Naaaah, I don't think I should talk more about the subject, it's useless.

Let's agree that we disagree

Why not The discussion wasn't that bad.. we were exchanging ideas like proper "gentlemen" (I hate this word, specially in the context of metal). Anyway, if this what you want.. then deal... we disagree
01.11.2009 - 02:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.11.2009 at 02:06

Why not The discussion wasn't that bad.. we were exchanging ideas like proper "gentlemen" (I hate this word, specially in the context of metal). Anyway, if this what you want.. then deal... we disagree

No no no... Don't think I was aggressive ... On the contrary.
I just realised that you were quiet right in one point: Everyone have his/her own opinion....

Then again, I believe that opinions aren't enough in the subject that is Downloading, but that statement is itself an opinion (!)
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.11.2009 - 05:28
Proteus

IIwas at the london gig too, standing behind the girl on the phone to her mum, it was fuckin great, was interesting hearing the difference in sound between dying fetus and cannibal corpse aside from the obvious differnce in style. Dying Fetus were very technical groove laden and being a 3 piece everything felt kind of spaced out like you could really hear each individual riff. Cannibal Corpse was more like being beaten with boulder, like a wave of aggression much more the sum of all its parts. Also on a slightly different note I didn't realise just how many non white people like death metal. As a black guy myself i was kind of expecting the same old homozygous crowd but I was pleasantly suprised.
01.11.2009 - 16:09
destroyah
supercharger
Baz, it would seem that Fisher is fast becoming your regular interviewee.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
01.11.2009 - 22:52
Kingface

This is a really great interview. Corpsegrinder seems like a sound, honest guy. Also it has confirmed to me for sure that I noticed you Baz taking photos at the show. I was at the front, the one with the long-ish hair, glasses and an Evisceration Plague shirt, pretty much going nuts throughout all of CC's set when I wasn't having to deal with crowd-surfers!

It was an amazing show. DF & CC were both immense and I have honestly not witnessed a crowd be more nuts!
01.11.2009 - 23:46
Baz Anderson

Thanks a lot guys, glad you're all enjoying these recent interviews.
02.11.2009 - 01:02
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by Proteus on 01.11.2009 at 05:28

IIwas at the london gig too, standing behind the girl on the phone to her mum, it was fuckin great, was interesting hearing the difference in sound between dying fetus and cannibal corpse aside from the obvious differnce in style. Dying Fetus were very technical groove laden and being a 3 piece everything felt kind of spaced out like you could really hear each individual riff. Cannibal Corpse was more like being beaten with boulder, like a wave of aggression much more the sum of all its parts. Also on a slightly different note I didn't realise just how many non white people like death metal. As a black guy myself i was kind of expecting the same old homozygous crowd but I was pleasantly suprised.

I agree with what you said about the difference between Fetus and CC.... you are absolutely right. And also about non-white audience. I think death metal attracts much more non-white audience than black metal for example. Anyway, I will be seeing Absu in the Underworld the day after tomorrow. let's see if I will be surprised too with a good number of non-white people.
02.11.2009 - 05:22
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Since you interviewed him not that long ago I was wondering whether or not this would be a long conversation at all, but you had some good interaction going on there. Sounds like it was a bit of fun too with the joking around and whatnot!
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
02.11.2009 - 05:54
insanity.peppers

I agree with George that it''s a bad attitude to have where you don't think you have to pay for the music you listen to. That being said, i wouldn't like half the bands I do if it weren't for illegal downloading. So... i guess the only real attitude to have is: If I like it, I'll buy it. If I don't, I'll stop listening to it.
14.11.2009 - 02:27
nana.MD
Star-Queen
LoL he doesn't know why they are succesful
I like the fact they actually listen to their fans, that's awesome.
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
10.12.2009 - 00:42
Biedrik

Good interview, although whoever is holding the camera is really annoying. They can't hold it still, and they keep zooming in and out.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.

Hits total: 9299 | This month: 7