03. Utterances Of The Crawling Dead
04. Those Whom The Gods Detest
05. 4th Arra Of Dagon
06. Permitting The Noble Dead To Descend To The Underworld
07. Yezd Desert Ghul Ritual In The Abandoned Towers Of Silence
08. Kem Khefa Kheshef
09. The Eye Of Ra
10. Iskander D'hul Kharnon

Those Whom The Gods Detest is an intense, explosion of technical death metal that immediately upstages the band's most recent releases. Nile pulled out all the stops with this one, but unfortunately still produced nothing that will keep you addicted two months down the line. The Nile name can never be overlooked however, and within Those Whom The Gods Detest you will find a death metal album of all the usual Nile traits, which includes the band's usual inexplicable musicianship.

Early impressions of the album are the best ones you'll have of it. However some of these death metal eruptions such as "Hittite Dung Incantation" and "Permitting The Noble Dead To Descend To The Underworld" may simply never get old. When Nile are on the ball, they absolutely kill it. The good thing about Those Whom The Gods Detest is that the band are on the ball more than they have been for the best part of a decade. Where Nile struggle however, is pulling together a full-length album that is consistently relentless in its brilliance. Since the band started putting out longer albums, we have been haunted by longer songs such as the dragging "4th Arra Of Dagon" that sometimes even come close to ten minutes. Ambition is one thing, but if you look back at where Nile are in their element, it isn't there.

Egyptian influence, some of the best vocals in death metal, and some of the most punishing drumming this side of the pyramids. Those Whom The Gods Detest has it all, but unfortunately it also has too much. Take out the twenty most tedious minutes of this otherwise long death metal album, and we could have been staring at the best album the band have ever put out. When Nile are good, they are simply the best. The problem with Those Whom The Gods Detest is that once again the band tried to be too ambitious and the result is a dreary average song length of pushing six minutes.

Nile have such potential to put out one of those great death metal albums you'll always remember, and Those Whom The Gods Detest is the closest the band have come to making that dream a reality in recent years. But also, let us not overshadow the terrifying intensity the band have had ignited within once more with the shorter songs of the album. This is an at-times mesmeric and awe inspiring album, but unfortunately also a little dull at other times.

Once again Nile flash their unrivalled talent and ability to blow you away with the power of death, but also remind you that they have become incapable of condensing material down into that whole, manageable, complete album.

-

Death metal
Nuclear Blast
USA
Length: 56:36

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 04.11.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 69   Visited by: 611 users
18.04.2011 - 00:16
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by @gent_-_orange on 18.04.2011 at 00:01

very enjoyable.

very enjoyable, yes. but there is also awesome music on the album. i mean AWESOME. and that's one more reason why i am very unhappy when next to awesome stuff i listen to more boring and shitty stuff. because i see that the band has the potential to reach the top and create a masterpiece but they dont...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
18.04.2011 - 00:29
Rating: 7
@gent_-_orange

Written by Deadmeat on 18.04.2011 at 00:16

very enjoyable.

very enjoyable, yes. but there is also awesome music on the album. i mean AWESOME. and that's one more reason why i am very unhappy when next to awesome stuff i listen to more boring and shitty stuff. because i see that the band has the potential to reach the top and create a masterpiece but they dont...

Niles first three records i hold i high regard and consider them excellent, They were Masterpieces in my opinion, Everything after that has been good/great if a little safe with a filler song here and their. Nile still have the potential to release another In Their Darkened shrines or Black seeds IMO... hopefully they will realize this themselves. Still this is a good album 8/10 for me.
18.04.2011 - 09:48
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by @gent_-_orange on 18.04.2011 at 00:29

very enjoyable.

Niles first three records i hold i high regard and consider them excellent, They were Masterpieces in my opinion, Everything after that has been good/great if a little safe with a filler song here and their. Nile still have the potential to release another In Their Darkened shrines or Black seeds IMO... hopefully they will realize this themselves. Still this is a good album 8/10 for me.

i agree on both the rating and the past of the band. i just dont believe they've released more than 1 masterpiece:in their darkened shrines....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
18.04.2011 - 20:57
Rating: 7
@gent_-_orange

Written by Deadmeat on 18.04.2011 at 09:48

Written by @gent_-_orange on 18.04.2011 at 00:29

very enjoyable.

i agree on both the rating and the past of the band. i just dont believe they've released more than 1 masterpiece:in their darkened shrines....

Its all opinions i guess but for me the first three records tower over anything else they have made.
14.05.2011 - 10:52
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Every thing about this album is top notch except those Arabic chanting, they pisses me off.... Other than that this is one of the best album out there, relentless brutality, superb technicality, perfect execution... An nice review as always
19.08.2011 - 07:42
Sulac

I'm that lonely soul who thinks 4th Arra Of Dagon is the best track. Ah well. It just hooks me.
12.01.2012 - 16:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Personally, I think Nile actually has made "one of those great death metal albums you'll always remember" already with Annihilation of the Wicked. I can easily see that album (and possibly In Their Darkened Shrines too) achieving classic death metal status within the next decade.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
16.01.2012 - 02:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Auntie Sahar on 12.01.2012 at 16:41

Personally, I think Nile actually has made "one of those great death metal albums you'll always remember" already with Annihilation of the Wicked. I can easily see that album (and possibly In Their Darkened Shrines too) achieving classic death metal status within the next decade.

I have to agree with this completely, both of these albums are completely memorable for me and are my 2 faves in Nile's catalogue...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

23.04.2012 - 20:16
SSM
Massacred
Written by Sulac on 19.08.2011 at 07:42

I'm that lonely soul who thinks 4th Arra Of Dagon is the best track. Ah well. It just hooks me.

You're not alone, it's one the best in this album IMO.
Anyway, it's a bit strange for someone like me to listen to someone from USA screaming about things I hear everyday!

Great album overall.

Hits total: 17686 | This month: 17