Metal Storm logo
Green Day vs Offspring

Original post

Posted by Haddonfield, 06.11.2009 - 17:30
I just recalled an article I read in a French magazine that compared, and even graded, certain aspects of these two bands. It was in the days of Warning and Conspiracy of One. Green Day finished on top I recall because of consistency. Today, Green Day have hit new heights and Offspring has somewhat faded out. I've never been a huge fan of Offspring and used to like Green Day's early before they turned into emo freaks. I'm not asking who you prefer but who you think is the better to see if the general opinion matches that of the magazine.

Poll

Who is best?

Offspring
Green Day

Total votes: 73
07.02.2011 - 06:13
ovakilOZ

Ive seen both these bands live, i have all there albums as im a collector.
I realy couldnt say witch is the better.
Live - they both have way to much energy. There shows go for 2hours +
and there songs are just awesome live.
Studio - Both bands put out great rock music, yes, rock music.
Of the 2 i would say that Offspring has some punkness to it, where as
Green day is all rock these days.
But both bands can still pull off all there old material live.
----
17.02.2011 - 07:44
Thunderhead

Well...i'm not much into this two bands.
In a general way, Offspring is better, shows better riffs and influences. And i think they have a more solid carrer. Green Day's last release i heard "21th century...something" sucked real hard. I like the last two records before that one. American idiot and Warning, a bunch of good songs with a bunch of crapy songs between the good ones.

Well... It's hard to say. Offspring don't suck, but has no great appeals to me, only for the great song "The kid's aren't all right", to my point of view almost a copy of the "The who" song, "The kid's are allright". In the other hand, Green day sucks much in many ways, but there a few songs that i really love, like Jesus of Suburbia, Burnout, The time of your life or Warning. So i will vote for ...

The Ramones. It's better that way.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
19.03.2011 - 20:15
Malevolent-Jim

Green Day were the band that got me into music. American Idiot was the album that got me into music, and I think because of the fact that I started there, I always wanted music with a story to tell or a concept (I'm a big progressive metal fan now). I always thought they were better than The Offspring but only because I find them (and I know this will sound weird) easier to take seriously. Offspring are a good band, and fun to listen to at parties, but that's about it really.

Green Day were also probably the best live act I've ever seen. So much energy, personality and sincerity in their performances, I can't help but love them. The crowds at both gigs were shite though.

I don't like the fact that it's pretty much cool to hate Green Day and Offspring, but hey, all mainstream music is bad apparently.
21.03.2011 - 01:28
WickedBuddhi

I've always been a fan of The Offspring. So my opinion will be bias. The Offspring seem to age well with their music whereas Green Day are trying to pull off being teenagers at forty.... Those last two albums that Green Day released had some of their biggest hits and were very critical towards politics and government, but it all felt like an ad for JC Penny to me. I thought they were trying to sell me an attitude or an image rather than the music.
29.03.2011 - 10:01
Andre

I would say Offspring, even though they don't have much 'publicity', the music and sound is way better. Plus, the lyrics are far better developed and still maintaining the punk-feel to it.
26.04.2011 - 00:04
ADIresiduos

The Offspring, of course! They sound harder and punkier! Always liked them; Green Day is all rock, some good songs, but most are just fillers... IMO
08.05.2011 - 02:52
Ghostdancer

Neither one of these are my favorites, but I do like The Offspring much, much better. I like their sound and vibe a lot more...and, when it gets right down to it, I prefer their vocalist over Green Day. I don't even know the dude's name, but the vocalist in Green Day grates on my nerves. Bad.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
08.05.2011 - 03:16
Vikcen
Metálico
I had a lot of vice with the Smash's album (that still i own) on the 90s, great album, but nothing more from them. Umm yes, I prefer Offspring =).
13.05.2011 - 05:37
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
I voted Green Day, because I loved their album "Dookie" when it came out.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
13.05.2011 - 22:34
Olli

I quite liked green days stuff when It was on the radio or tv but never enough to actually buy/download their stuff, but I remember having two offspring cds when I was younger and listening to them fairly often. I guess I'll vote for offspring just cause green day never grabbed me (and thats the whole point of pop music right ?).
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
27.05.2011 - 04:14
king_matt

I prefer The Offspring, though both bands are both just 'meh.'
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
27.05.2011 - 18:43
Guib
Thrash Talker
None of them actually
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.05.2011 - 18:46
beyondtehdarksun

Used to be a huge offspring fan when I was younger... and I still think their older stuff is pretty good, compared to most similar bands.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
30.05.2011 - 20:59
Winterthrone

I say Green day... Well i really liked The Offspring but only for three albums...Like said Green Day wins for their consistency and the fact that I discovered their sound before I got into Offspring with their masterpiece Smash.
16.07.2011 - 23:51
Kanto

Green Day, maybe they're more mainstream and some people call them "sold out" but hey, they evolved from those punk riffs they had. Though Offspring is not bad at all.
----
...Dude.
06.08.2011 - 19:11
Abattoir

Written by Death To Posers on 13.05.2011 at 05:37

This album is the only one that worth something in their music...
06.08.2011 - 20:08
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Abattoir on 06.08.2011 at 19:11

Written by Death To Posers on 13.05.2011 at 05:37

This album is the only one that worth something in their music...

Yeah, It's a classic. Honestly if I had a choice to never hear this one again or never hear any offspring i'd never listen to Offspring.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
21.06.2012 - 10:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Having heard 21st Century Breakdown's songs quite a lot lately, I think that I was too quick to judge the album, and was too harsh on it. I still have issues with it, but there are some good songs on there, even if the punk has mostly been replaced by melodic alternative rock. But good melodic alternative rock!
21.06.2012 - 14:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I love the Offspring, I have almost all their albums.

Fantastic music,

;_;
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.06.2012 - 17:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Boxcar Willy on 21.06.2012 at 14:52

Fantastic music.

Have you heard "Days Go By" (the new album) yet?
26.06.2012 - 17:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.06.2012 at 17:09

Fantastic music.

I have not, any good?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.06.2012 - 00:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.06.2012 at 17:16
I have not, any good?

It actually is yep! Cruising California is hideous though... quite what posessed them to record that nonsense is beyond me.
Overall though, there is a lot on it for long time Offspring fans to enjoy. Dividing By Zero even sounds like it could have came off the first album!
02.07.2012 - 22:41
Abattoir

Written by Angelic Storm on 26.06.2012 at 17:09

Fantastic music.

Didn't know that they were working on new stuff...well it's time to check out this stuff.
18.07.2012 - 10:07
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Anybody interested in Green Day's new forthcoming album releasing somewhere in Oct?
07.09.2012 - 22:08
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I get extremely sick of Green Day on the radio, and their other songs are just bland. I just can't feel the music, it feels too shallow for me. That and every time I hear one of their songs it feels as is some catchy thorn is digging itself into my brain and causing a severe itch that I'd like to get rid of.

Offspring is slightly less annoying, and somewhat more enjoyable, but I don't really care for them much, either.
----
12.11.2012 - 16:34
Nemo Atkins

I'm pretty fond of Green Day when I'm not listening to metal. Not been overly impressed with their last two albums ("21st Century Breakdown" and "Uno!": "21st Century Breakdown" suffered from some pretty bland songs, but wasn't bad, whilst "Uno!" had higher highs than "21st Century Breakdown", but lower lows), but liked most of their other stuff I've listened to. I don't know The Offspring very well, but I like the song "Why Don't You Get A Job" and I've got "Americana" and "Days Go By" sitting in my pile of albums that I keep meaning to listen to, but never quite get round to.

Edit (19/1/2013): OK, I think I've listened to "Dos!" enough to talk about it fairly. Honestly, it's got some good stuff on it, but, overall, it's weaker than "Uno!". Even if you ignore "Nightlife" (a punk rap song which would have been called weak and out of place on a rap record, so throw in my dislike of rap in general and you can see why I REALLY don't like that song. And that's before I get into specific detail about why I dislike it...), there is a higher level of songs which could be politely summed up as "meh". There are no other songs that get as bad as "Nightlife", but it really says a lot that, of the four songs I really enjoy listening to, two of them are acoustic ballads ("See You Tonight", which nicely channels Simon and Garfunkel, and "Amy", which is enjoyable and a nice, if a bit late, tribute to Amy Winehouse), one was the single ("Stray Heart", which I still swear pinches the bassline from Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl") and the other is pretty much "Give Me Novacaine" with the second chord played an octave higher, a different melody line and played faster ("Lazy Bones", which is actually pretty good if you can ignore the blatant ripping off). The rest of the stuff is skippable. I still have to look forward to "Tre!", which I've heard from a few sources is apparently the best of the lot. I hope they're right, because I'm seriously doubting that Green Day's trilogy was a good idea now that I'm two albums into it. Still no further with The Offspring: I'll put on their two albums while I study for my driving test tomorrow.

Edit (10/2/2013): Well, I've given "Tre!" enough listens to talk about it. It definitely better than "Dos!", but it suffers from the same problems as "Uno!", so it's hard to say whether it is better than "Uno!" or not: most of the songs are generally very average, with a few slightly stronger songs making up for a few slightly weaker songs. However, I think there are fewer weaker tracks on "Tre!". Overall, I think the album trilogy was a bad move, since the best songs on here are only just enough to make a single album that would have been very good compared to three albums that were patchy. However, I think that Green Day should consider adding more solos to their music, since the solo on "Dirty Rotten Bastards" is awesome (indeed, the solos across the trilogy were pretty good as a whole) and proof that Billie Joe would have made a good lead guitarist if he hadn't focused on Green Day.
13.11.2012 - 03:16
Void Eater
Account deleted
Dookie has recently become one of my favorite non metal albums, and everything I've heard by The Offspring is pretty mediocre, so... Green Day it is!
13.11.2012 - 08:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Nemo Atkins on 12.11.2012 at 16:34

I'm pretty fond of Green Day when I'm not listening to metal. Not been overly impressed with their last two albums ("21st Century Breakdown" and "Uno!": "21st Century Breakdown" suffered from some pretty bland songs, but wasn't bad, whilst "Uno!" had higher highs than "21st Century Breakdown", but lower lows), but liked most of their other stuff I've listened to. I don't know The Offspring very well, but I like the song "Why Don't You Get A Job" and I've got "Americana" and "Days Go By" sitting in my pile of albums that I keep meaning to listen to, but never quite get round to.

It took me a while to appreciate "21st Century Breakdown" I have to say, but now, a small amount of throwaway tracks aside, I think it's actually a pretty good album. A bit overblown to be sure, but some tracks like "American Eulogy" and my personal fave "Peacemaker" are amongst the best songs they've ever done. "Uno!" on the other hand, just sounds extremely bland and formulaic to me. At least "21st Century Breakdown" was an adventurous album. Granted, I've only listened to "Uno!" once, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with it, and had no desire to listen to it again. Hopefully, "Dos!" will be a bit better. It's on Spotify, so I'm going to try and listen to that later on today!
13.11.2012 - 10:01
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.11.2012 at 08:19

Written by Nemo Atkins on 12.11.2012 at 16:34

Hopefully, "Dos!" will be a bit better. It's on Spotify, so I'm going to try and listen to that later on today!

"Let Yourself Go" is ONLY one catchy song Green Day to give it off. For me, their latest album was bit boring, mixed up stuff took from 21st century and almost it's straight-forward Punk Rock theme that they always delivered. Nothing new I guess.
30.11.2012 - 20:38
Kanto

I believe Offspring reached its peak with Americana (you know: Pretty Fly, Kids Aren't, Staring at, Get a Job), and since then came a downhill...Conspiracy and "that record where Da Hui is..." weren't half as good, and I haven't heard the last 2 records so I might get a surprise.
Green Day in the other hand, had been evolving through time. Since the Dookie era, came a time full of "...meh"-punk stuff, but with American Idiot and 21st Century they started to work with some more rockish and better-produced styles. As some guy said earlier, 21st Century has some disposable things, but overall it isn't a bad album. Uno! either. It works as part of a trilogy so I might need to listen to all three albums (damn, that's a lot ) to get the whole picture, but overall it isn't bad...to GD standars. "Kill the DJ" works well.
----
...Dude.