Metal Storm logo
The "damn that was close!" thread

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 07.11.2009 - 11:20
Yeah, a thread to discuss and share each other's close brush with death, disaster or even FAILure.

i'll start: about a month ago i was with my band rehearsing, and we had a gig 2 weeks later, so we had to be really serious and professional so i brought some papers with lyrics and tabs... and we start playing this song and i see the vocalist didn't get the papers with the lyrics(he also couldn't remember the lyrics on his own) so i get really fucking mad at him and while they're still playing i run to get the paper and trip on a cable and a Marshall MF350 Head(worth 1300 euros) almost crashed to the floor, and guess who had to pay for it's repairs if it did fall, but that's not all, the drummer had his mobile phone on the head which fell down and disintegrated on the floor(the phone is worth something like 100 euros), so he gets totally angry and goes out for a smoke... good thing our bass player put it back together, and it works to this day lol.. that was one close fuckin call

another time i was with my uni class on a short trip, so we were walking up this road on a hill, i was on the right side of the road, not on the sidewalk, and this small car with 2 old people gets in sight, and they were on the same lane as me, so i don't move thinking they'll just go back on their right-hand side(didn't realize it at that time but that's exactly what i thought so i keep walking), but they DON'T.
so the fucking senile old bastard stops the car 2 inches from blowing me away, and it couldn't have been a one-way road, since that's one of the only roads that takes to the fucking train station, that was one close shave. and no, those old fucks weren't British(though i'm pretty sure they would have loved living and driving there, ).
Marcel, when you'll become an old gray bitter world-hating bastard PLEASE STOP driving
30.03.2010 - 18:16
Don Martin
le fu-
Last time, I was driving with my mate down the cyclist lane and I was trying to put my hat back on (with both hands) and my mate's handlebars where damn close to mine and I said "would you like to move a bit to the ri- AAAAA!" and I fell flat on my face. Next to the cyclist lane was an extremely crowded road and I fell on the street while the cars hissed past me. Also, I fell with my balls on my handlebars, the pain didn't go away for at least 3 weeks...

Damn that was close.
----
What a tackastrophe!
30.03.2010 - 23:21
Ernis
狼獾
I was standing in front of the memorial plaque of the 2004 terrorist attack in Moscow underground last Thursday, I used the underground to get to airport on Friday... I came back here... on Monday I heard of the terrorist attack that once more took place there... that was close... and even closer for my dear friend who took the same line to get to work that same day...
03.03.2011 - 23:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.11.2009 at 18:22

I almost lost my right ear when I was like 5-6 years old... I got a huge flowerpot right on my head, well... to the side of my head. Damn, that pain was horrible... I couldn't feel my ear so I thought I lost it. Hehehe I was a little boy so I was more scared about what my mom would think of me because the flowerpot [I was in a school btw] got broken... While I was on the floor and my mom checked me I was saying "Mom, I'm so sorry... "

haha i remember how a friend of mine was screaming stuff like "oh my god how will i be able to go to school anymore??" when he cut himself in the hand by mistake yes, he was 9 years old or something.
08.03.2011 - 01:12
Kennoth

I can't recall. I was never a very active person with adrenaline rush, so I almost never got myself in harms way. I had some close calls with cars when I ride the bicycle, but that's it.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
08.03.2011 - 03:57
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
I almost had sex with a blonde tall gorgeous model, but my jealous friend came and said: "Bwarh! Brwarwarwhar! Hey, I like her too! Bros before hoes, man! Brawrharwhrarh!" So that was the end of that romance.

True story.
08.03.2011 - 08:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 08.03.2011 at 03:57

I almost had sex with a blonde tall gorgeous model, but my jealous friend came and said: "Bwarh! Brwarwarwhar! Hey, I like her too! Bros before hoes, man! Brawrharwhrarh!" So that was the end of that romance.

True story.

didn't you explain to him that "bros before hoes" works in the opposite way too? i know that's what i would have done
08.03.2011 - 14:03
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 08.03.2011 at 08:20

True story.

didn't you explain to him that "bros before hoes" works in the opposite way too? i know that's what i would have done

Unfortunately my friend is so emotional and sensitive that he needed my help in getting over the fact that the leggy blonde preferred me to him (I was a bit surprised myself to tell you the truth), so I ended up comforting him and the leggy blonde went away somewhere. That was a long time ago though, so I don't really care. In retrospect, she was hot as hell, but our personalities had nothing in common, so it would have been a crap romance anyway.
08.03.2011 - 14:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

True story.

Dude... that friend is an asshole, si he still your friend? He doesn't really know how the code works.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.03.2011 - 14:08
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.03.2011 at 14:05

True story.

Dude... that friend is an asshole, si he still your friend? He doesn't really know how the code works.

Yeah, he's still my friend. There was more to that tale than I mentioned though, I was actually interested in dating his sister when the leggy blonde showed up, so maybe he thought that me and his sister would have been a good couple and didn't want me to go after another woman. He was definitely jealous, though. By the way, this happened when I was 16 years old.
08.03.2011 - 15:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 08.03.2011 at 14:08

Yeah, he's still my friend. There was more to that tale than I mentioned though, I was actually interested in dating his sister when the leggy blonde showed up, so maybe he thought that me and his sister would have been a good couple and didn't want me to go after another woman. He was definitely jealous, though. By the way, this happened when I was 16 years old.

Ohm, I thought it was something quite recent. Yeah... I think it's ok.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.03.2011 - 16:00
Himann
Orm KrigGud

True story.

I had a slightly similar experience to that. Was crazy over this one girl for years (still am to some extent I guess). On the very day I was planning on asking her out, one of my friends asked her out a few minutes before I did simply because I was going to ask her. She turned him down but he had to go and screw up my plans further by telling her that I was going to ask her too and make it sound like some sort of a joke. Either ways the plan was screwed up and I heard from her best friend years later that she would have said yes to me that day if this guy didn't call her up a few minutes earlier and do that. Fucking fate.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
08.03.2011 - 16:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Himann on 08.03.2011 at 16:00

True story.

I had a slightly similar experience to that. Was crazy over this one girl for years (still am to some extent I guess). On the very day I was planning on asking her out, one of my friends asked her out a few minutes before I did simply because I was going to ask her. She turned him down but he had to go and screw up my plans further by telling her that I was going to ask her too and make it sound like some sort of a joke. Either ways the plan was screwed up and I heard from her best friend years later that she would have said yes to me that day if this guy didn't call her up a few minutes earlier and do that. Fucking fate.

what a douchebag, i used to feel like doing stuff like this a few times myself in the past, but then when i thought what could i possibly gain from this, nothing came to mind. it's basically just screwing over your friend over a longshot opportunity to have sex, which is incredibly shallow. Barne-, erh, i mean, Vali does NOT approve.
08.03.2011 - 20:23
Ernis
狼獾

True story.

Eff... I'd hate that when my bro'd knock on my shoulder just when I'd be about to penetrate a nice girl... how could you stand the situation?

Damn that was close... that's what one can say quite often during winter in Estonia... Not to mention the real possibility of getting killed or maimed by a falling ice shard/ice block, it's even easier just to slip and fall... it makes me boiling with anger when I need 5 minutes in order to cover a distance I'd normally walk with 10 seconds or sth just because the road is buried under a thick layer of uneven ice which makes you feel like walking on a freaking asteroid surface... the only way to walk safely is to move each foot by few inches like some Japanese geisha or Chinese lady with bound feet...

And even then you can still end up on the ground... my bro discovered himself lying on the ground having fallen straight on his back last week with a hit so hard he couldn't breathe or move for some time... luckily he's ok...

To put it in a nutshell...

(Winter in St. Petersburg (could be replaced with Tallinn) - You only have one life)
11.03.2011 - 01:28
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I did a couple tours with the US Army in Iraq. I have had many many close calls. Ill type up some stories if you want.
11.03.2011 - 01:46
Kennoth

True story.

Please don't tell me he's still your friend?
----
*insert something deep and profound*
14.03.2011 - 14:12
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Kennoth on 11.03.2011 at 01:46

True story.

Please don't tell me he's still your friend?

Lol he is still my friend although perhaps not a very close one.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
30.03.2011 - 02:25
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
This last winter I was driving my friend to work at like 5:30 in the morning. In order to get there we had to take a bunch of back roads and there was this section where there was a tiny strip of road and two man made lakes on either side. We were making a slight turn there and the car starting spinning out (we hit black ice). After one rotation the car came to a complete stop and it was back under control but I couldn't help but be a little worried at the time that I would end up at the bottom of an icy lake.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.04.2011 - 01:51
Thrashette

Hmmm.... The first thing that comes to my mind is the day before my prom, which is about two years ago. I was in front of my house crossing the street with my friends while some douchebag was not only driving way faster than one should drive on a local road, but talking on his cellphone and paying no attention to driving. The car was inches away from hitting me and probably would have hit me if my friend hadn't pulled me out of the way. I was in a fit of screaming and swearing at the guy for a bit, but then all we did was laugh at how much of dumb ass he was XD
08.09.2016 - 01:05
Crimson Maiden

I came very close to dying once---I was in the hospital with severe pneumonia and the doctors told my family they did all they could and it was up to God for me to live or die..I was in the hospital during Christmas and New Year's 2010-2011...My point is I lived through the night and got to go home in a few days...was very scary, it was like I heard a voice telling me it wasn't my time yet...anyhow...8-]]