04. Beauty Through Order
05. Hate Worldwide
06. Public Display Of Dismemberment
07. Human Strain
08. Americon
09. Psychopathy Red
10. Playing With Dolls
11. Not Of This God

The local indy record store ran a pic of Slayer on the cover of their most recent promo zine, along with a partial exchange from an (imaginary?) interview which went as follows:

Q: What's the title of the new Slayer album?
A: World Painted Blood.
Q: What's it sound like?
A: What on Earth do you think?

It's pretty much exactly what you think. 10 or so songs clocking in around 40 minutes (11 tracks, 39 minutes and change this go around), some slower paced tracks, one or two creepy psychotic murderer tracks and a couple short but sweet barn burners played at 900 miles an hour (that's 1,448 kph to our metric friends) and lots of, uh, spirited and chaotic solos that make GIT grads cringe.

Slayer is back with balls of steel.

Sure, Tom's voice sounds a little more time-ravaged on occasion, his bass is only slightly more audible than Jason Newsted's on ?And Justice For All after Lars raped it, and Kerry still writes the occasionally self-indulgent lyrics ("my scars - insane/my life - profane"), but the truth is they have been around the block many, many times - hell, they're older than most of your parents are - and they still thrash. Hard.

World Painted Blood is the best they've done, top to bottom, since, and perhaps including, Divine Intervention.

"Beauty Through Order" and "Playing With Dolls" are both the slower, longer, mid-paced tracks that build up over time, similar to older tracks like "Mandatory Suicide."

"Unit 731", "Psychopathy Red", "Hate Worldwide" and the wonderfully named "Public Display of Dismemberment" blaze along rapidly like "Sex. Murder. Art.", "Silent Scream", "Hallowed Point", or pretty much any of tracks 2-8 off Reign In Blood? and are Slayer at close to their ripping best.

And Dave Lombardo is still a beast. A fucking unstoppable beast.

Truthfully, this album, at least to me, is stronger top to bottom than 2006's Christ Illusion - only "Americon" seems like filler, and even classic Slayer albums have had their share of filler tracks, most notably Season In The Abyss ? to borrow from Mugatu in Derek Zoolander, "Blood Red? Expendable Youth? They're the same song! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

The single biggest issue I have with it is the production. The same bearded guy who was involved with Metallica's Death Magnetic was involved with this one? and as with the most recent effort of their fellow Big Four compatriots, it is probably the most glaring flaw here as well. It's not as bad as the "turn everything up to 11, if it sounds like shit no one will notice because they'll be deaf" job done to DM, but WPB still is really thin sounding, particularly on low-E chugging riffs and Dave Lombardo's drumwork. As much as I dig what's going on behind the kit, the impact is just not there like it was in, say, "War Ensemble." Dear next thrash band to have he who shall remain nameless involved in the process? if he pokes his head in your studio during the recording process, please tazer his ass, wrap him in duct tape, deposit him in a storage locker with some crazed fan to baby sit him until the album is recorded, printed, shipped, and in stores. I don't even know if he really had a direct impact in either recording, but it is tough to believe it's more than coincidence and he makes a decent scapegoat.

In closing, it's Slayer. What on Earth did you think it would sound like?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 6

Written on 11.11.2009 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 73   Visited by: 752 users
11.11.2009 - 01:31
Rating: 6
iMorphball
Nice review. I'd give it around the same score.
11.11.2009 - 01:54
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yeh, accurate enough.
I prefer to just get stuck in to the detail when I write my reviews, but at least this was written well.

The production really is the worst part about it, I don't know what they were thinking... Just imagine songs like "Public Display..." with a good production. It would have been insane.
If this is the same guy that did the last Metallica album - I don't know how he is still getting jobs.
11.11.2009 - 01:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 11.11.2009 at 01:54

If this is the same guy that did the last Metallica album - I don't know how he is still getting jobs.

Yep it is Rick Rubin and he keeps getting these jobs cause he is the big name Rick Rubin.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2009 - 02:05
Rating: 7
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
My parents are 55 and 56 so no, Slayer aren't older than my parents

I will have to check this album out though.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
11.11.2009 - 03:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
@ Baz - in doing reviews i don't want to get too bogged down to a format. sometimes i will focus on specifics for style, etc. for bands like Slayer, i can get away with deviation as it's probably a give

@ Raiden - we have 2,600 members listed as 20 or younger, i played the odds. lol.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.11.2009 - 03:53
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
@Bitter: Fair enough haha. Actually a friend of mine who is only four weeks older than me has parents who are both 66! He was third born though whereas I am first. My other friend has grandparents younger than 66 lol.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
11.11.2009 - 03:57
Rupert
It does sound like Death Magnetic eh. Except decent at the very least. I enjoyed the review though!
11.11.2009 - 04:41
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Who's the bearded guy (name)?
11.11.2009 - 05:44
tulkas
el parcero
I still have to get this one, but from this review it does sound pretty cool. "In closing, it's Slayer. What on Earth did you think it would sound like?" --> I guess that's the most important part. Shame on the production part, but I'll check that out once I get hold of it.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
11.11.2009 - 05:59
HardSide
Last album was aweful, however I'll give this a try.
11.11.2009 - 06:25
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
The most accurate review i ever read.. great work ,,

and IMO, its the best album released by slayer since SitA, and yet better than DM, and ENDGAME. its really A SLAYER album
11.11.2009 - 06:30
BudDa
Elite
IMO nothing much stands out on this one esp if u have been listening to Slayer for quite sometime..I liked it though. Its a good album.
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
11.11.2009 - 07:24
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
You really made a nice-to-read review. Yup, Slayer is back and they made a testicle cracker album, a fucking THRASH metal album, FUCKING SLAYER! Yup, Americon is a filler, the other songs are killers

And Dave Lombardo is still a beast. A fucking unstoppable beast. nuff said
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
11.11.2009 - 09:00
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I still think God Hates Us All was heir last inspired album, with these new Lombardo albums being little more than well, showcases for Lombardo's talents.

Yeah Lombardo is good.

But I'd prefer some better songs, better lyrics, more energy etc.
11.11.2009 - 10:37
Overlord_PT
This album is not a big deal
11.11.2009 - 13:23
Rating: 8
demonseed
Good review, I agree this is the best Slayer album in 15 years.
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
11.11.2009 - 13:48
Lord_Regnier
Concerning production on Slayer's albums: I think they should have kept the slightly reverberated sound they had on "Show No Mercy".
Production-wise, SNM is my favorite Slayer album.

I always prefer albums that are a bit underproduced and raw, when it comes to metal. Imo, metal is not supposed to sound 'too good'.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
11.11.2009 - 14:44
TormentoR.
Written by bloodwrage on 11.11.2009 at 04:41

Who's the bearded guy (name)?

Rick Rubin...
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
11.11.2009 - 16:13
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Crazy to listen to this album already...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.11.2009 - 18:12
Lord_Regnier
Written by Alakazam on 11.11.2009 at 17:24

Still, for me this album is what Divine Intervention was for them back in the 90's from all sorts of aspects to the overall sound and production problems and even the amount of influence they had on songwriting this time around.

I always disliked "Divine Intervention", mostly because of the sterile, lifeless production. (it sounds kinda modern and boring)
After that, I never bothered to check Slayer's new albums. And, judging by the few songs I heard on the net and at some friend's houses, I haven't missed anything interesting.
Anyway, I will always prefer their early material (until "Hell Awaits" incl).
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
11.11.2009 - 21:24
JD
Account deleted
Best thrash album 2009!!
11.11.2009 - 21:33
albatros
Very entertaining review. And thanks for the speed conversion. Such consideration is hard to find these days.
11.11.2009 - 22:12
sbgmetal
Gotta say their is some awesome drum work on here
11.11.2009 - 23:04
skrätte
I Hate You
This album is growing on me. Still.. it's not groundbreaking, in my opinion. There were no surprises. I find a fair bit of the album rather forgettable when compared to Slayer's best.

I mean, I am not saying it's a bad album. I like it. But, as my good metal-as-hell pal, Miss Tam, once said to me, "It's Slayer-By-Numbers". It's... Slayer. It has all the predictable Slayer elements. That, to me, is the most accurate review I've heard of the album, yet. Good but not great. Dwarfed by Show, Hell, Reign, South, and Seasons.
----
12.11.2009 - 04:11
Rating: 3
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I kinda hated the album, and the same goes for this review, although I really liked the Mugatu bit and most of the paragraph to follow. Your blog about posting reviews was fantastic but I wish the staff would take it to heart themselves - I believe the standards are mph and km/h (not to mention the horde of other oversights)

Back to the album itself, I seem to agree with skratte. Psychopathy Red among the few good tracks though nowhere near their best material, and a lot of mediocre crap, in both the music and the lyrics. Calling it best thrash of 09 is a joke. Probably similar enough to CI for HardSide not to bother...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
12.11.2009 - 04:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Syk on 12.11.2009 at 04:11

I believe the standards are mph and km/h (not to mention the horde of other oversights)

And that's where you're totally wrong.

It is mph, kph OR mp/h, kp/h and that's it.
So stop your whining about things that don't matter at all when it comes to a review
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2009 - 04:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

I kinda hated the album, and the same goes for this review, although I really liked the Mugatu bit and most of the paragraph to follow. Your blog about posting reviews was fantastic but I wish the staff would take it to heart themselves - I believe the standards are mph and km/h (not to mention the horde of other oversights)

Back to the album itself, I seem to agree with skratte. Psychopathy Red among the few good tracks though nowhere near their best material, and a lot of mediocre crap, in both the music and the lyrics. Calling it best thrash of 09 is a joke. Probably similar enough to CI for HardSide not to bother...

i kinda hated your review of my review. i wish you would take my blog to heart. "Kinda" is not a word, not to mention other oversights. (such as ending a sentence in parenthesis without punctuation, nor the preceding sentence as well for that matter)

christ, we are not English Lit and Creative Writing dual-major PhD's here. Sorry there is not absolute perfection in my review. were you someone who proofed reviews you would understand there is a VAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT difference between a (possible) slip up regarding standards in stating velocity and some of the trainwrecks that get submitted.

so aside from grammar issues, what other problems were there with the review?

i am interested.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.11.2009 - 04:30
Rating: 3
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.11.2009 at 04:23
I believe the standards are mph and km/h (not to mention the horde of other oversights)
And that's where you're totally wrong.

It is mph, kph OR mp/h, kp/h and that's it.
So stop your whining about things that don't matter at all when it comes to a review
Onto wikip in three seconds:
"KMH" redirects here. For the South African airport with IATA code KMH, see Johan Pienaar Airport.
The kilometre per hour (American English: kilometer per hour) is a unit of speed or velocity, expressing the number of kilometers traveled in one hour. The unit symbol is km/h or km·h−1; however, the colloquial abbreviations "kph" and "kmph" are sometimes also used in English-speaking countries, in analogy to mph, although these are not in accordance with international scientific standards. In North American slang and military usage, km/h (as well as km) is commonly pronounced, and sometimes even written, as klicks or kays (K's), although these may also be used to refer to kilometres.

You might just be trying to make Ol' Bitter feel better, and I'm sorry I didn't say it very nicely, but you know, these things are gonna be quoted in various places and it'd be nice if you guys followed your own advice with regard to spelling things correctly
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
12.11.2009 - 04:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Syk on 12.11.2009 at 04:30

Onto wikip in three seconds:
"KMH" redirects here. For the South African airport with IATA code KMH, see Johan Pienaar Airport.
The kilometre per hour (American English: kilometer per hour) is a unit of speed or velocity, expressing the number of kilometers traveled in one hour. The unit symbol is km/h or km·h−1; however, the colloquial abbreviations "kph" and "kmph" are sometimes also used in English-speaking countries, in analogy to mph, although these are not in accordance with international scientific standards. In North American slang and military usage, km/h (as well as km) is commonly pronounced, and sometimes even written, as klicks or kays (K's), although these may also be used to refer to kilometres.

You might just be trying to make Ol' Bitter feel better, and I'm sorry I didn't say it very nicely, but you know, these things are gonna be quoted in various places and it'd be nice if you guys followed your own advice with regard to spelling things correctly

Stop quoting Wiki cause it is wrong in more than half the instances. And this is another instance. It is kph, mph, OR kp/h, mp/h and that's it. Trust me I studied Biology and Physics at university.... never ever trust Wiki in your entire life cause anyone cane change it the way they want it to be. Please go back to the Encyclopedia Britanicia instead cause that is trustworhty and Wiki IS NOT.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2009 - 05:01
Derwood
Sorry Marcel, in Canada km/h is standard public usage (if not scientific), including our highway signs.

How does a Slayer review turn into a debate about speed abbreviations? Metalstormers are weird.

Like the album, thought the review was spot on.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!

Hits total: 17297 | This month: 22