Album: Superheroes
Release date: September 2005

01. Superheroes
02. Spooks In The Attic
03. Blessing In Disguise
04. Judas At The Opera
05. The Spirit [Magnum cover]
06. Superheroes [epic version]

As far as EPs go, there are rarely any that catch peoples eyes. They are simply viewed as a band's way of selling a fan-favorite song on its own CD then releasing the CD. The song this EP is for is obviously the song "Superheroes". But this album to me is a lot more than just the song, every song on this EP is great and powerful in its own right. In fact in my top three Edguy songs is the song "Judas At The Opera" which deserves its own EP in my opinion. This EP delivers a softer punch than other things Edguy has delivered but it is not to be taken lightly.

The EP starts off with the title track "Superheroes" which is not a fast song but more powerful and catchy than anything. Right after that song is an light-hearted faster paced song called "Spooks In The Attic"; someone please tell me what they are singing about in this song. Things slow down with "Blessing In Disguise" with a hair metal type ballad in an Edguy style. But the next song just steals the album. "Judas In The Opera", a fast paced song with a funny story, riveting upbeat guitars and many tempo changes throughout the song. The album slows down again with "The Spirit" which is a uplifting song. Then finally the epic version of "Superheroes" where its just Tobias and a piano doing a slowed version of "Superheroes", not an exciting song but it really gives an idea at how Tobias sounds by himself singing with just a piano backing him instead of the guitars and drums.

The guitars are fun throughout the album, not too much showing off but a solo in almost every song. The hardest song it would seem for them would be "Judas In The Opera" but the rest seems just all power chords and simple riffs. A nice acoustic performance is displayed in "The Spirit". The drumming isn't spectacular but really kills in "Judas In The Opera". Lyrical content ranges from silly stories about a peacock to god knows what. Typical Edguy. I'm not sure how old fans will receive this album as this was my first Edguy purchase. But I do know that this EP is a great draw for those who are looking for a nice Edguy start-up. Notable songs: All of them.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by DoomGuard | 10.11.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 57 users
11.11.2009 - 10:22
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Wow. Two opinions couldn't be any further apart than ours.
----
11.11.2009 - 14:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think i should check this out too...four tracks i havent listened yet, thats a challenge
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.11.2009 - 17:14
Rating: 8
JÄY
Metal slave
This, along with the King of Fools EP pretty much make up another entire album to add to the edguy discography. Very seldom are there EPs with this much quality and edguy gave us 2!
02.12.2009 - 20:32
Walter Iego
Author
Not my fave album, but it has its highligts.
31.10.2010 - 18:59
Rating: 10
JerryNichols

Written by JÄY on 11.11.2009 at 17:14

This, along with the King of Fools EP pretty much make up another entire album to add to the edguy discography. Very seldom are there EPs with this much quality and edguy gave us 2!

I agree! King of Fools and Superheroes together as an album would probably have been Edguy's best..
02.11.2010 - 13:07
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Best Edguy is Kingdom Of Madness, Vain Glory Opera and Theater Of Salvation...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 5386 | This month: 8