Metal Storm logo
WildeStarr interview (11/2009)

With: Dave Starr, London Wilde
Conducted by: Bas (e-mail)
Published: 10.11.2009

Band profile:

WildeStarr

WildeStarr is the new band of metal veteran Dave Starr - who is mostly known for his bass work in Vicious Rumors over the last 22 years and has also played in Lääz Rockit, Destillery and Chastain - and London Wilde, who has worked behind the scenes as a recording engineer, song writer, studio vocalist and keyboardist since 1994. They released their debut album, Arrival, just a short while ago. After reviewing their first release (check out the review here) we arranged an Interview.

You just released you first album, how were the reactions?

Dave: It's been amazing! This has been a real journey and adventure to get this CD done, not just the recording and song writing? lots of other things as well. We had to go through quite a few drummers before we found the right guy in Jim Hawthorne. Many obstacles were in our way, but we kept at it? and we are thrilled with the way the CD came out and with the reaction of fans from all over the world.

London: The reactions have been phenomenal! We appreciate all the positive emails from fans we have received, and the excitement over the record that many reviewers have shown.

I know that you read my review of Arrival, do you read all reviews about your material and do you think most reviewers understood what Arrival was about? Have any of the reviews made you think differently of any aspect of the album?

Dave: I have read them all, or at least all the ones I am aware of. So far, overall? the response and CD reviews have been great. One or two that we just OK, but you can't make everyone happy. I don't worry at all about negative things said about us. All of my favourite bands have had bad reviews from time to time, so if we get one here or there? hey, that's life. I think I have read about 40 or 50 "Arrival" reviews, and almost everyone of them has said great things about the album and about London and I. Many writers are saying Arrival is the best, or one of the best CD's of the year. You can't get much better then that!

London: I have not read all the reviews, but I have read quite a few. It's always interesting to discover how someone else hears you, and maybe only a handful of reviews really described the record exactly the way I perceived it. Yes, i can't help but think differently about a few aspects of the record, even though I try to keep my own inner voice as the main one to listen to. At the same time, I want to grow as a musician, and make the next record even better, so I will take some things into consideration for improvement.

Arrival

Do you know what the members of Vicious Rumors think about WildeStarr?

Dave: Geoff Thorpe is behind us 100%, he loves the CD, and he gave us a really nice quote to use for promotional purposes. Part of Geoff wishes I was still in VR, but once he heard the album, it made him really understand why I needed to do my own thing. Geoff even said he wants to play with us when we tour. Vinnie Moore said some great things about the CD as well. James Rivera told me he was blown away when he heard the CD. Mark McGee said I sounded like Gary Moore!

London: Both Geoff Thorpe and James Rivera have phoned me up, and said how awesome they thought the record was. Very nice to hear, coming from them!

One of the defining points of your bands sound is London's voice. Where did you learn to sing like that? Who are your main influences as a singer?

London: Thanks! I have actually been a little taken aback by the vocal accolades I have been receiving for "Arrival", I was just trying not to suck! My vocal influences are Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford and Geoffe Tate. I am pretty much a self taught singer, who has been practicing for about 20 years. I am still practicing, always trying to get better.

Dave: London is the Metal Goddess!

London Wilde

As far as I know WildeStarr is the first band with you as lead vocalist. Is there any special reason why it hasn't happened before? Are you currently planning on participating as lead singer in any other projects?

London: WildeStarr is the first band that didn't fire me before it was done! I am forever grateful to Dave for giving me a chance to show what I can do in the context of a full album, allowing me to write the melodies, lyrics and have a lot of creative control. I don't know exactly why it hasn't happened for me before, guess I just didn't connect with the right people. WildeStarr has occupied my full attention for the last couple of years, and now I am back to taking occasional studio work from my regulars. Singing backups, or small tasks for NON-Metal projects, like Radio Disney pop and rock customers. I would like to continue to work in Metal, which is where my heart lies.

Dave: I think London went through the same crap that lots of musicians and singers go through. It is very hard to find 4 or 5 people who are all on the same page. Maybe the people she was working with in the past felt threatened because she was 10 times more talented then they were.

Are any concerts planned with WildeStarr? If yes, do you already know who will be in the touring line-up or is there anyone you'd like to have on board?

Dave: If and when we tour, it will be in 2010. We don't have an actual band. WildeStarr is London and I, with a session drummer (Jim Hawthorne) on the CD. We will need to hire musicians to tour with us. I have had a few musicians offer their services to us, but nothing is certain right now. The idea of working with Geoff Thorpe in WildeStarr does intrigue me, that's for sure.

London: I would like the opportunity to tour, and I hope we can make that happen!

What does touring mean for you personally and as a musician?

Dave: I did lots of touring with VR back in the day from 1986 to 1993. Many great memories from all over the world, it was a great experience. I would like to do it again with WildeStarr, but we are just taking things one step at a time right now. Things have to be just right for London and I to go out on the road. If it happens? it happens, if not? that's OK with me. We will just start work on the next CD.

London: Touring means personally being away from home and all the things that are familiar, which is intimidating. As a musician, connecting with fans live, and all feeling at the same time, is very powerful and addictive, and makes the pain of travel worth it.

Do you consider WildeStarr a one-off project or a full-fledged band? How do you see the future of the band? Are you thinking of a second album and are you planning to add more members to the line-up or will you continue as a duo?

Dave: Right now, WildeStarr is a duo. I don't really like the "project" label. London and I? we are the band. You never know what the future holds. I do want to keep making WildeStarr CD's for the foreseeable future, especially since we have had such a great response with "Arrival". I love the artistic freedom and control that we have with WildeStarr, I never had any of that in the past. I don't know if I want to do what I did on "Arrival" again (play all the guitars and bass myself), it was an insane amount of work. I might want another guitar player to work with on the next album. We'll see.

London: I have been in WildeStarr since 2006, so it feels like a committed "band" to me in many ways, as opposed to a "project." Even though we are technically a Duo at this point, our initial vision was to have a full fledged band. Dave and I don't NEED other people to create music, so if we can't find the right people, we will push forward as a Duo, with Jim Hawthorne again on the drums for our next album. We would like to find a permanent drummer, bassist and second guitarist if possible.

WildeStarr

What can we expect of your next album? Do you already know what you'd like to do on the next one? For example are you planning to make a similar CD, or do you want to make it faster or are there perhaps some entirely new elements you want to incorporate?

Dave: I have lots of song ideas that I have been working on for the next album. My main goal is to keep the level of quality that we have on "Arrival" going into the future, and just keep getting better and stronger as we go along. I don't see us doing a concept album or anything like that anytime soon. Just kick ass songs.

London: Arrival is very brooding, seductive, and mid-tempo record, with a certain dark ambiance. That was my general mood during the writing phase. My mood has changed. I have a feeling that our next record will be angrier, more energetic and faster, but it is too early to say. If we do bring in other people, it will have an effect on the final outcome, and I am only speculating right now.

Dave you've been in the metal scene for quite a while now, how do you think it has changed? And do you like modern metal or do you mainly listen to old favourites?

Dave: It has changed in many ways over the years. Back when I started, it seemed like there were only a handful of bands and it was easier to get noticed. Now, with the Internet?. there are millions of bands out there all fighting for exposure. I remember when cassette tapes came out back in the early 70's! I remember when CD's came out? that was a really big deal, then the internet happened? and that changed the music industry forever in good and bad ways. The illegal downloading is totally out of control. As far as music goes, I don't listen to much new stuff. I don't listen to much music at all to be honest since I am always working on my own songs, I just don't have time to listen to a lot of other music. When I do, it tends to be the older classic metal and hard rock that I grew up with.

Dave Starr

Many metalheads make a big difference between the US and the European metal scene, especially in regards to heavy and power metal. What do you think of this? And do you like European metal?

Dave: I like any music as long as it is good. I think people try to make up too many categories and labels for bands these days. I don't care where bands come from. If the music is good, it's good? and if it's bad, it's bad.

London: Yes, I listen to a lot of European bands. There are always cycles of change, and the European sound dominates now, just as the British sound once dominated, and the San Francisco Bay area sound once dominated. That's what keeps Metal vital and going strong, so it's a good thing! As a musician, I think it's important to listen to new things, and if you like something, I think it ends up in your music in one form or another. I think WildeStarr has classic British metal influence, US/Bay Area influence, as well as current European metal influence. It's all good!

Downloading is of course a big in the world of music since a long time now. What are your thoughts on it?

Dave: I wish there was a way to stop it. If people like a band, buy their CD's and support them? don't steal the music. I have never downloaded any music illegally and I never will. Illegal downloading has cost WildeStarr a tremendous amount of lost revenue, and the CD has only been out a few months. It's terrible.

London: I think the grand experiment has failed...all of the pro "free downloading" rebuttals have been proven false. The music industry is in a shambles, many bands are put in a position to pay for their own records, for which they will not re-coup in record sales once complete. The fans are a musician's employer. How many people who download for free, would go to THEIR job for free, and even PAY to come in? Musicians are expected to. It's sick. If I like a band, I will always pay for their record, and show my support. So to the WildeStarr fans who purchased the album, I would like to say THANKS, and that we really appreciate it!

So to finish this interview, is there anything you want to tell the readers of Metal Storm?

Dave: Thanks for all the support we have received at Metal Storm! The response to the new CD has been truly amazing, and we are really grateful for all the fans out there!

London: Yes, Thanks so much for the album review, and increasing the awareness of WildeStarr to the Metal fans...there is a lot of good metal music out there these days, but I think WildeStarr really delivers what many metal heads are craving.. thanks for giving us a listen, and stay metal!

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 75 users
13.11.2009 - 02:14
Derwood

Nice interview Bas. It can be difficult to do via email when you can't get the visual feedback you do in person or even tone and inflection like you do over the phone.

I only recently discovered WildeStarr (thanks to your album review), and having heard the album, can't wait to get my hands on it. Anyone who enjoys traditional heavy metal should check them out. London has amazing power in her voice and you can surely hear the influences she cites in the interview. Thankfully, she's never screechy and tends more towards husky in her delivery. Dave is certainly no slouch on the strings, either.

Arrival is a very solid debut and one of my favourite heavy metal albums I've heard this year. If WildeStarr manage to realize the potential promised in this release, they have a ripping future ahead of themselves.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
13.11.2009 - 06:21
DayFly

When did Starr play in Lääz Rockit? I own everything they released, what did I miss?
13.11.2009 - 13:48
GT
Coffee!!
Sounds interesting. I think I'll be checking the review and the album
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.11.2009 - 15:16
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Derwood on 13.11.2009 at 02:14

Nice interview Bas. It can be difficult to do via email when you can't get the visual feedback you do in person or even tone and inflection like you do over the phone.
Arrival is a very solid debut and one of my favourite heavy metal albums I've heard this year. If WildeStarr manage to realize the potential promised in this release, they have a ripping future ahead of themselves.

Thanks
It does have a few drawbacks doing interviews by e-mail, especially that I can't react to the answers, however it has its good sides as well. It's a major pain in the ass to type up recorded interviews so I prefer doing it this way.

Yeah I'm curious about what the future will hold for these guys too.

Written by DayFly on 13.11.2009 at 06:21

When did Starr play in Lääz Rockit? I own everything they released, what did I miss?

He played on the Prelude To Death demo. You can read more about that in the comments to the review
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness

Hits total: 6836 | This month: 4