08. Clear
09. Life Flow
10. Part Of The Chaos
11. Segue
12. Mansion [special edit, definitive edit bonus]
13. Exposed [radio version] [special edit bonus]
14. Virtual Isolation [radio version] [special edit, definitive edit bonus]
15. Smile At The Moon [definitive edit bonus]

Threshold is very well known in the progressive metal scene. They have a distinct sound, so you will not find another Dream Theater rip-off here. "Extinct Instinct" is their third album, and the second with Wilson on vocals. Musically this album is much more mature than "Psychedelicatessen". Yet, here you will find all the elements that made the two previous albums so good.

From the very beginning to the last second, this album will deliver an amazing experience to the listener. Great guitar solos and very well developed drum lines are found throughout the album. Keyboards give an Ayreon/Star One-like feel to the album, but they are not overly used at all. Wilson sounds as good as ever, and one of his best performances is found on the song "Forever", in which the listener will easily see his full operatic potential. If you can get your hands on the special edition, you will find two more songs there - "Segue" and "Mansion". You'll also find different versions of two songs already on the album - "Exposed" and "Virtual Isolation". "Mansion" has to be one of the greatest ballads ever written, it will make you cry and feel like hugging a pink unicorn, because of Wilson's uplifting voice.

Honestly, I can't point out a single song that I feel is a filler, because they all have their own beauty which truly makes "Extinct Instinct" one of greatest progressive metal albums of all time.

Highlights: "Exposed", "Forever", "Virtual Isolation", "Clear", "Life Flow", and "Mansion".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by 4look4rd | 20.04.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 38 users
15.11.2009 - 05:25
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
Highlights: "Exposed", "Forever", "Virtual Isolation", "Clear", "Life Flow", and "Mansion".

Dude.. these are exactly the same highlights as mine... except for Life Flow, which I didnt found all that good.

Its a good album, but not surpass ''Wounded Land'' in my taste.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.08.2016 - 23:23
Rating: 8
BlankFile

Very good record. Really consistent, with great vocals from Damian.

I agree with the highlights mentioned by the reviewer.
11.11.2020 - 23:31
Mountain King
K i K o
"Mansion" has to be one of the greatest ballads ever written, it will make you cry and feel like hugging a pink unicorn, because of Wilson's uplifting voice."

Come on... it's nice and the vocals are good but nowhere close to be among the best ballads ever written.
14.10.2022 - 12:04
Tom Muller

I also prefer wounded land over this one, but still strong and unique album
----
Can you see it
16.10.2022 - 05:49
Rating: 9
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Tom Muller on 14.10.2022 at 12:04

It's so weird to reflect on a review I wrote 14 years ago, written when I was still in my teens. For some reason this album really clicked with me at the time, today I wouldn't give it a 9.2 but at the time it must have really struck a chord.

Mansion is a great song though, I'm not sure about hugging pink unicorns, but Wilson's voice still sound incredible and certainly gives me some heavy 90s nostalgia. God does he sound good in this album.
----
24.10.2022 - 23:46
Tom Muller

Written by 4look4rd on 16.10.2022 at 05:49

Written by Tom Muller on 14.10.2022 at 12:04

It's so weird to reflect on a review I wrote 14 years ago, written when I was still in my teens. For some reason this album really clicked with me at the time, today I wouldn't give it a 9.2 but at the time it must have really struck a chord.

Mansion is a great song though, I'm not sure about hugging pink unicorns, but Wilson's voice still sound incredible and certainly gives me some heavy 90s nostalgia. God does he sound good in this album.

Pink unicorns is the best song on this album
----
Can you see it

Hits total: 5356 | This month: 7