Metal Storm logo
Paradise Lost

Original post

Posted by Bas, 17.05.2006 - 14:38
Paradise Lost is IMO an awesome band, especially their newest stuff,

also an amazing live band, i had the luck to see them a while ago and their show was simply mind-blowing, one of the best shows ive ever seen
20.11.2009 - 02:27
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Unsurprising: Nothing new works for Bad English
I really like the new album, it has some elements fromthat days of Icon and Draconian Times, but it's still on teh same ven of In Requiem. Not that I dislike teh electro stuff, but this new more harsh music is really cool.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
28.11.2009 - 03:16
Richard

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 20.11.2009 at 02:27

I really like the new album, it has some elements fromthat days of Icon and Draconian Times, but it's still on teh same ven of In Requiem. Not that I dislike teh electro stuff, but this new more harsh music is really cool.

Yeah, I like this album a lot too. As I said in my previous post in this thread (3 years ago!) Paradise Lost are a long-time favourite band of mine. And I was also really impressed by 'Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us' with its combination of classy elegance and bleakness.

Although there's a great sense of melody, there's also a lot of heaviness there, and Nick Holmes expertly switches between very melodic singing, and his Icon/Draconian Times style melodic/gruff vocals, and at times some gruffer vocals reminiscent of Tom G. Warrior! Although Nick doesn't go as far as to do his old deathly growls, there's certainly a heavier edge here, but interchanged with melody. The guitars also combine a modern edge with that older Paradise Lost style.

I liked In Requiem a lot, but I think this new one is better.
----
28.11.2009 - 11:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

I never had liked liked disco staff , I alreday fade up when I need edd disco era videos in MS, but last 2 albums, somehow they are not powerfull enought, band is well skilled and qualified band, musicans know what they doing, its profesional, but I like first 4+next 1 album, even if I get last 2 for free I take them and will play , also I be happy if such music be in tv, radio and outside of my country(AKA my room) , but I neve rwill play so muvh new once how old once of PL,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.11.2009 - 01:48
Richard

Written by Bad English on 28.11.2009 at 11:07

I never had liked liked disco staff , I alreday fade up when I need edd disco era videos in MS, but last 2 albums, somehow they are not powerfull enought, band is well skilled and qualified band, musicans know what they doing, its profesional, but I like first 4+next 1 album, even if I get last 2 for free I take them and will play , also I be happy if such music be in tv, radio and outside of my country(AKA my room) , but I neve rwill play so muvh new once how old once of PL,

Paradise Lost have certainly been experimental with their approach to music over the years, but they've never been "disco" by any stretch of the imagination..!

The early albums from Paradise Lost have a certain charm which they'll perhaps never recapture - and 'Shades of God' still stands as their masterpiece IMO. But I think the latest album effectively represents the band's sense of dark, solemn yet melodic Metal, and is a great achievement.
----
30.11.2009 - 01:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 30.11.2009 at 01:48

Paradise Lost have certainly been experimental with their approach to music over the years, but they've never been "disco" by any stretch of the imagination..!

The early albums from Paradise Lost have a certain charm which they'll perhaps never recapture - and 'Shades of God' still stands as their masterpiece IMO. But I think the latest album effectively represents the band's sense of dark, solemn yet melodic Metal, and is a great achievement.

I like all from Lost Paradise-Draconian TImes , but from One Secend-Paradise Lost 2005 I dont like , if Im on caffe and such muisc is on ok why noy, it ant totaly pop, but I dont like it

In requiem I need hear it now to say , but it wasny bad but also not so good, but Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us this is much better how In requiem album, realy its dark album , band work hard to crate it, mayeb after time I change my mind, but still MDB ''For Lies I Sire'' I like it better how PL last album, if band continue in this way next album might be good, but maybe if I wont love so much n deep firts 4+5th album from band I would like more this,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.11.2009 - 15:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I don't care for PL after Host... The only albums I like and will like to buy are the first 5 cds + Host.

I've heard a couple of songs from the latest album and even if it's good music, it's not good enough for me imho.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.11.2009 - 15:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

and 'Shades of God' still stands as their masterpiece IMO.

Yeah probably... For me it's a tie between Lost Paradise and Shades Of God, it depends on my mood but those two are the best ones imho.

And I believe Shades Of god is the most underappreciated PL album... I don't believe Gothic desevers the huge reputation it has.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.12.2009 - 03:18
Richard

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.11.2009 at 15:58

and 'Shades of God' still stands as their masterpiece IMO.

Yeah probably... For me it's a tie between Lost Paradise and Shades Of God, it depends on my mood but those two are the best ones imho.

And I believe Shades Of god is the most underappreciated PL album... I don't believe Gothic desevers the huge reputation it has.

I agree! Lost Paradise is also excellent. Shades of God does tend to get unfairly overlooked by many people when referring to Paradise Lost's early work. Well, the last track 'As I Die' is regarded as one of their best songs by many fans, which is fair enough - but I think the other songs on the album are also excellent. I have never really tired of listening to this album... Perhaps some listeners are put off by some of those songs being a bit longer and a bit more progressive compared to PL's other stuff.

Gothic blew me away when I first heard it - at the time the whole 'death growls with female singing' approach was new, whereas in later years it became commonplace, so perhaps its impact has lessened somewhat in that respect. Also, although I still think the title track in particular sounds effective even now (in fact, rather better and classier than most of the 'beauty and the beast vocal' bands that were influenced by it), as a whole the album is rather uneven, with some filler songs on there too.

BTW, I agree (with your other post) about Host being a great album too! Although very different and non-Metal, it's got some excellent songs.
----
01.12.2009 - 13:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Richard on 01.12.2009 at 03:18

Gothic blew me away when I first heard it - at the time the whole 'death growls with female singing' approach was new, whereas in later years it became commonplace, so perhaps its impact has lessened somewhat in that respect. Also, although I still think the title track in particular sounds effective even now (in fact, rather better and classier than most of the 'beauty and the beast vocal' bands that were influenced by it), as a whole the album is rather uneven, with some filler songs on there too.

BTW, I agree (with your other post) about Host being a great album too! Although very different and non-Metal, it's got some excellent songs.

Yeah, I can see why the album was brilliant back in those years, so I guess my age is also a factor involved in why I find it good but not worth of a 9,9. There are indeed some killer songs but also many fillers.

I really like Host. I thought that One Second was good but it had some fillers and turned boring easily. But Host is very fresh, I don't listen to it very foten but when I'm in the mood for some electronica, it's a good album.

I've just bought the debut for a while although I haven't listened to it in it's pure form at night. But I'll do it asap. The solo on Frozen Illusion is fucking scary at times, straigh to the vein.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.12.2009 - 06:46
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
After Draconian Times, I cant see a nice album till "Faith Divides US, Death Unites Us". there are some nice songs in those albums which can just fill an album (Im talkin about One Second, Host, Believe In Nothing and Symbol of Life). One Second (Once Second), (Any song from Host), Mouth, Fader, Illumination and Never Again (Believe In Nothing); Two Worlds and Xavier (Symbol of Life). 7 songs from these 4 albums for me.
08.02.2010 - 10:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I'm listening right now to their self-titled song from the first album and i like the doom vibe. i think i'm gonna listen to it all sometime these days.
08.02.2010 - 15:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Valentin B on 08.02.2010 at 10:32

I'm listening right now to their self-titled song from the first album and i like the doom vibe. i think i'm gonna listen to it all sometime these days.

Do it, their doom era is very nice, classic stuff. I don't know what kind of doom you like but I could almost guess that you'll like Shades of God, it has some good thashy parts sometimes. Draconian times is also a very good album with it's psichedelic vibe.
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.01.2012 - 02:02
ravendeath

Quote:
Shades of God, it has some good thashy parts sometimes.

Where???
28.01.2012 - 19:00
Slayer666

Written by ravendeath on 28.01.2012 at 02:02

Where???

Pretty much all over the album.
(from 0:15 on this track, for example)

28.01.2012 - 19:26
ravendeath

Written by Slayer666 on 28.01.2012 at 19:00

Written by ravendeath on 28.01.2012 at 02:02

Where???

Pretty much all over the album.
(from 0:15 on this track, for example)

Sorry, but I don't think that this is thrash metal. IMHO thrash metal is somethig different, not like this, it's a heavier version of doom metal.
28.01.2012 - 20:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ravendeath on 28.01.2012 at 19:26

Sorry, but I don't think that this is thrash metal. IMHO thrash metal is somethig different, not like this, it's a heavier version of doom metal.

The part at 00:15 is indeed thrashy (not pure thrash though) and doesn't sound like some heavier version of doom.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.01.2012 - 20:18
ravendeath

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.01.2012 at 20:11

The part at 00:15 is indeed thrashy (not pure thrash though) and doesn't sound like some heavier version of doom.

It depends of what you call thrash. It can be thrashy a little, but guitars and especially drumming part for me really doesn't sound like thrash metal as I'm used to.
29.01.2012 - 14:00
Slayer666

Not pure thrash, of course, but thrashy. There's a difference (and Doc said thrashy).
08.10.2012 - 00:19
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Paradise Lost sounded great when i saw them live in LA last month along with Katatonia. They were playing songs from their new album "Tragic Idol" along with older songs like "One Second" and "As I Die". There was a bit of trouble hearing Nick sing, since he had the flu and I think the microphone might have been turned down a little, but other than that it was awesome.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
10.10.2012 - 14:36
Hands
Account deleted
This band sound good. Might check them out. Are they any good?
28.10.2012 - 08:48
Vasil de Shumen

Paradise Lost albums - RANKED by QUALITY :

1. Shades Of God - 9
2. Icon - 9
3. Draconian Times - 8
4. Gothic - 7

5., 6., 7., 8., 9., 10., 11., 12., 13. - mediocre