Metal Storm logo
Paradise Lost

Original post

Posted by Bas, 17.05.2006 - 14:38
Paradise Lost is IMO an awesome band, especially their newest stuff,

also an amazing live band, i had the luck to see them a while ago and their show was simply mind-blowing, one of the best shows ive ever seen
23.03.2007 - 15:34
Jiri
Paradise Lost were very good at the start of their career, then they started to sound like a very slowed down version of Metallica. Nick Holmes sounds a lot like James of Metallica during this period. Now, they are electronic, but they do not do a bad job with it. I do prefer their first five albums, however.
23.03.2007 - 15:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Jiri on 23.03.2007 at 15:34

Paradise Lost were very good at the start of their career, then they started to sound like a very slowed down version of Metallica. Nick Holmes sounds a lot like James of Metallica during this period. Now, they are electronic, but they do not do a bad job with it. I do prefer their first five albums, however.

Slow wersion about Metallica well I woud say ist Candlemass and I agree first 4 albums are classic ist Death/doom, classic!
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.03.2007 - 04:20
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I don't really like the first albums. I prefer them starting on Icon. Bt their best started with "One Second", teh electronic elemnts make them very dynamic, and they still have great lyrics, tha combine perfgectly with the music. Teh whole Electro-goth thing was good on them. I prefer them that way.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
24.03.2007 - 13:01
Anathemani@c
Written by Bad English on 23.03.2007 at 15:52

Written by Jiri on 23.03.2007 at 15:34

Slow wersion about Metallica well I woud say ist Candlemass and I agree first 4 albums are classic ist Death/doom, classic!

It might be the very first time I agree with terastios malakas devil-jiri, cause indeed PL on the draconian times are just like metallica in slower version and Nick's vocals sound much like James' ones. And dont damn Paradise Lost by saynig they are like Candlemass. Candlemass are awful. Paradise Lost are a much bigger band than Candlemass are. And not that boring stuff. They have nothing to with Candlemass!For fucking sake!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
26.03.2007 - 16:38
xymox
Paradise lost is more than awesome band...I am lucky to have seen them live! I agree that there is much difference between the first and last albums .I can agree that some stuff sound like Depeche mode but it is hard for me to find a bad song by PL- all are great.I dont agree that Nick sounds like James from Metallica-Nick has his onw way of singing that pretty few can manage to do and James can only dream to have such voice!.Every Pl album has some beauty. Mostly my fav is ICON
----
"...........Love can be as cold as grave
A one-way ticket to endless sorrow
An empire of gentle hate
Today without tomorrow..."

....As I now fall... fall into deprivation
Fall... fallen theres till tomorrow
Love hides the things youll
26.03.2007 - 18:05
Anathemani@c
Written by xymox on 26.03.2007 at 16:38

Paradise lost is more than awesome band...I am lucky to have seen them live! I agree that there is much difference between the first and last albums .I can agree that some stuff sound like Depeche mode but it is hard for me to find a bad song by PL- all are great.I dont agree that Nick sounds like James from Metallica-Nick has his onw way of singing that pretty few can manage to do and James can only dream to have such voice!.Every Pl album has some beauty. Mostly my fav is ICON

When I listened to the draconian times for my very first time, I thought it was metallica or something like a side-project from James Hetfield. The vocals there are absolutely the same with Hetfield's ones.
----
Trapped in time
28.03.2007 - 13:12
xymox
i deeply hope you dont think what you are saying any more.maybe there is a veeery little possibility that Hetfield's vocal resembles Nick's when you hear him for the 1 st time...but after that for nothing in this world you cannot get confused;)
----
An empire of gentle hate

28.03.2007 - 20:28
Anathemani@c
Written by xymox on 28.03.2007 at 13:12

i deeply hope you dont think what you are saying any more.maybe there is a veeery little possibility that Hetfield's vocal resembles Nick's when you hear him for the 1 st time...but after that for nothing in this world you cannot get confused;)

Just take this historical. Metalllica are older than Paradise Lost and then just think that the draconian times was released at 1995. So Nick's vocals resemble James'
----
Trapped in time
29.03.2007 - 13:49
xymox
Nick's voice is pretty far different from Metallica' s James.And i dont think you have a good point telling that.Maybe I didnt use the word "resemble" correctly.But pls many Pl fans (including me) can take an assult taht you compare PL with Metallica.I dont Underestimate Metallica's vains to stay high on the music scene but pls,,,they have absolutely nothing in common cause maybe if they had similar voices maybe Nick would have been vocalist of Metallica,cause he can sing much more correctly
----
An empire of gentle hate

29.03.2007 - 16:46
Anathemani@c
OK anyway. That's your opinion. But on the other hand just remember that I am a PL fan too. And that Metallica are not my favourite band. I just criticise something that's all
----
Trapped in time
11.06.2007 - 21:32
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
You can listen Nick Holmes's interview after the Paradise Lost's appearance at the Download festival 2007 here.
20.06.2007 - 18:05
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Happy B-day to Gregor Mackintosh!
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

05.07.2007 - 22:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
In Paradise Lost home page are new video online
You can dounloud it here

It calls ''The Enemy'' and ist from new album ''In Requiem''
----

apos;'
[image]
19.07.2007 - 18:23
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Nick Holmes was recently interviewed by Andrew Haug of Triple J's "Full Metal Racket" (based in Australia). Listen to the interview in streaming audio at the Triple J web site: Windows Media, Real Media (The Nick Holmes interview begins at around the one-hour 33-minute mark). Check out the show's entire playlist at this location.
23.07.2007 - 00:06
destroyah
supercharger
elite
Written by Bad English on 05.07.2007 at 22:14

You can dounloud it here

Must get that album. The old PL is just fantastic, the newer albums are pretty good, minus the really soft tracks. But judging by this one sample song I'd say we're in for a nice treat

P.S. I *kinda* agree on the Hetfield resemblance
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
23.07.2007 - 00:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by destroyah on 23.07.2007 at 00:06

You can dounloud it here

Must get that album. The old PL is just fantastic, the newer albums are pretty good, minus the really soft tracks. But judging by this one sample song I'd say we're in for a nice treat

Yes I love first 4 albums + Draconial Times and I hear people talk its 'beck to roots' I wanna hear it too but somehow thay has changed lyricaly and song lyric structure are diferent
----

apos;'
[image]
23.07.2007 - 01:17
destroyah
supercharger
elite
Written by Bad English on 23.07.2007 at 00:14

You can dounloud it here

Yes I love first 4 albums + Draconial Times and I hear people talk its 'beck to roots' I wanna hear it too but somehow thay has changed lyricaly and song lyric structure are diferent

Well I guess it's just heavier than their latest stuff, maybe that's what they mean by "back to the roots"
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
24.08.2007 - 06:38
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by destroyah on 23.07.2007 at 01:17

Written by Bad English on 23.07.2007 at 00:14

You can dounloud it here

Well I guess it's just heavier than their latest stuff, maybe that's what they mean by "back to the roots"

Yes, it's indeed heavier than their previous albums, seems that they got bored of teh electro stuff. But you tow (destroyah and K7) must get In requiem. If you're more into their older stuff you're gonna love it. It's an awesome album.
----

26.08.2007 - 16:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@+{Radagast}+ well maybe new album are heavy but still its not like firts 4?Draconian Times, its like langauge like some languages in USSR(Carelain for exampel) was forbiden, for 40 years and after USSR fall ppl start speek into it same about it band, thay was long away from death/doom roots so ...
----

apos;'
[image]
26.08.2007 - 20:08
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Bad English on 26.08.2007 at 16:37

@+{Radagast}+ well maybe new album are heavy but still its not like firts 4?Draconian Times, its like langauge like some languages in USSR(Carelain for exampel) was forbiden, for 40 years and after USSR fall ppl start speek into it same about it band, thay was long away from death/doom roots so ...

So you should give it a try. I know you'll like it.
----

26.08.2007 - 20:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 26.08.2007 at 20:08

I like it but still its hard to forgot them for changes
----

apos;'
[image]
27.08.2007 - 05:47
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Bad English on 26.08.2007 at 20:36

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 26.08.2007 at 20:08

I like it but still its hard to forgot them for changes

Everything evolves partner, musci included. I belief that Paradise Lost, like the good wines, has gone better through years. I didn't like much teh first albums, but form Icon to present I love all of them, specially "One Second", but this new album is just another evolution by this band, just like One Second, when they started adding the electro, In Requiem has no electro addition, so IMO it's like they just moved on from teh electro stuff and are trying a heavier sound, which IMO, sounds great. It's hard when bands change style, but if the new style is good, hell, it's just evolution.
----

21.10.2007 - 23:44
metfan
Account deleted
22.10.2007 - 10:17
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
You know, I had a lot of hope seeing Paradise Lost again this past Saturday (in support of Nightwish), but found myself bored and disappointed again. Save for Nick, the band played with a genuine enthusiasm, though their reliance on background samples/loops to cover for the piano melodies kept screwing up, knocking down some of the enthusiasm at times. Nick however, just like last time (3-4 years ago with Opeth), was irritated the crowd was not that into it, and kept saying lines like "it's fucking Saturday night, do something!!" I resent when singers take out their emotions on fans so that didn't help much.

The sound was terrible, with the bass end turned up so loud that I actually felt death to several dozen hairs in my eardrum. It's amazing how a band can play a 10 year span of music and make them come off all sounding like exactly the same song. The only song of any positivity was "Say Just Words," the band's closer. The didn't play much (if anything - i left for a song or 2) of pre-1997 era songs. I'm not sure why they did this, as they didn't have this approach last time around. Perhaps they figured that US fans would like the newer stuff more, I'm not sure.

I'm sure there were people there who enjoyed their set - but with such high volume on the low end, I found it difficult to focus on anything. I actually heard the music better when I covered one ear to stop the pain the bass thudding was giving my right ear :

I really enjoy the band's last CD and their 1992-1995 era - I just can't stand them live. It was simply boring.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
22.10.2007 - 12:38
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
A four-minute European tour report from Nick Holmes and Greg MacIntosh can be viewed at this location.
25.10.2007 - 11:55
Fuath
theyr very good, in fact theyr absolutley brilliant
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

27.11.2007 - 18:03
Finicella
Account deleted
I like them, although I don't know if the albums I have are rather old or new. I never cared. :3 I just listen to them because I like the music.
But I couldn't listen to it all day long.
21.12.2007 - 19:10
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Mega Kuusinen from Finland's Get in the Pit TV conducted an interview with Aaron Aedy prior to the band's December 19, 2007 concert in Tampere. You can watch the chat in two parts here and here.
01.08.2008 - 01:23
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well they will be visitng Colombia in november and I'm deffinitely going to be there
Can someone give me impressions on their live shows? How are they?
----

20.10.2008 - 16:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I'm getting addicted by this band right now. Specially by their firsts albums. Lost Paradise has one of the most unique solos I've ever heard in my life. It's so mesmerizing.

Right now I'm hearing Shades of God and I think it's their most overlooked album. The music has a Black Sabbath touch that sounds really nice. and the vocals are also high quality, angry as hell.

Something that it's quite funny is the fact that although I don't really like their electric stuff.... I have to say that I love Host, it's funny because it's the one that sounds most electronic of all the albums that they have done.

The newest album I own is their s/t that was quite boring at times... It was well played but very unispired. I have some songs from the album In Requiem but I don't remember them quite well... I hope that this guys will return little by little to what they were before. I don't mean Death/doom like their debut, but something in the vein of Shades of God or Icon.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.