Metal Storm logo
Decibel Magazine's Top 100 Metal Albums Of The Decade.

08.12.2009 - 21:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Quite an unexpected list but enough material to bitch and whine about I should think:

Look out of your window because the sky may be falling. We made Decibel Magazine's "Top 100 Metal Albums of the Decade". 'Quietus' was listed at number 46. As all good lists do, we're sure the list will spark a heavy debate. But, so be it...we can proudly say we made the list.

1. Converge - Jane Doe
2. Cave In - Jupiter
3. Opeth - Blackwater Park
4. Isis - Oceanic
5. Mastodon - Remission
6. Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
7. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
8. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
9. Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
10. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
11. Torche - Meanderthal
12. Discordance Axis - The Inalienable Dreamless
13. Baroness - Blue Record
14. Napalm Death - Enemy of the Music Business
15. Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
16. The Red Chord - Clients
17. Converge - Axe to Fall
18. Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets
19. Melt-Banana - CellScape
20. Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
21. Enslaved - Isa
22. Tragedy - Tragedy
23. Fugazi - The Argument
24. Mare - Mare
25. Celtic Frost - Monotheist
26. Jesu - Silver
27. High on Fire - Surrounded By Thieves
28. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
29. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
30. Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet
31. Mastodon - Leviathan
32. Craft - Fuck the Universe
33. Isis - Panopticon
34. Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
35. Shellac - 1000 Hurts
36. Witchcraft - Witchcraft
37. Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing
38. Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard
39. Converge - You Fail Me
40. Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
41. Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
42. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
43. Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
44. Watain - Sworn to the Dark
45. Between the Buried and Me - Alaska
46. Evoken - Quietus
47. Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today
48. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
49. Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
50. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
51. Ludicra - Fex Urbis, Lex Orbis
52. At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
53. Isis - Celestial
54. Jesu - Jesu
55. Enslaved - Below the Lights
56. Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway
57. High on Fire - Death Is This Communion
58. Disfear - Live the Storm
59. Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition
60. Napalm Death - Time Waits for No Slave
61. Deftones - White Pony
62. Botch - An Anthology of Dead Ends
63. Converge - No Heroes
64. Hatebreed - Perseverance
65. Withered - Memento Mori
66. Leviathan - Tentacles of Whorror
67. Meshuggah - Catch 33
68. Thorns - Thorns
69. Rotten Sound - Murderworks
70. Trap Them - Seizures in Barren Praise
71. Deathevokation - The Chalice of Ages
72. Nachtmystium - Assassins: Black Meddle, Part I
73. Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
74. Nasum - Human 2.0
75. Fucked Up - Hidden World
76. Neurosis - Given to the Rising
77. Taint - The Ruin of Nova Roma
78. System of a Down - Toxicity
79. Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
80. Warhorse - As Heaven Turns to Ash
81. Mayhem - Chimera
82. Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
83. Drowningman - How They Light Cigarettes in Prison
84. Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer
85. Watain - Casus Luciferi
86. Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache
87. Psyopus - Ideas of Reference
88. The Haunted- The Haunted Made Me Do It
89. Cryptopsy - ...And Then You'll Beg
90. Asunder - Works Will Come Undone
91. Godflesh - Hymns
92. Cathedral - Endtyme
93. The Paper Chase - Now You Are One Of Us
94. Decapitated - Nihility
95. Coalesce - Ox
96. In Flames - Clayman
97. Battle of Mice - A Day of Nights
98. Cobalt - Gin
99. My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours
100. Slayer - World Painted Blood
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2009 - 21:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Let the flames ensue. was happy to see a bunch of my favorite bands represented somewhere in the list.

probably quite a bit different from my own top 100 of the oughts, but i'm too lazy to do one.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.12.2009 - 22:09
ß
Problem?
There are some good albums there but thats about the only positive thing I can say about that list.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
08.12.2009 - 22:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Thank god no horrendous trendy folk metal or euro power on there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2009 - 22:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I didn't look at the first post and scrolled directly down the topic to post this reply, as i predict that it's total bullshit.

EDIT well, they DID concentrate on more underground albums than mainstream, and left most of the trends aside. while i haven't listened to even 10 of all those albums in full, i applaud the time and effort put into making the top.

oh yeah and the #3 choice turns the whole top 100 in a fail most overrated album ever imo(yes, they even beat the last two Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer albums)
09.12.2009 - 00:46
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
NO With Oden On Our Side! it should be topping the list
09.12.2009 - 00:49
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Written by Valentin B on 08.12.2009 at 22:25

I didn't look at the first post and scrolled directly down the topic to post this reply, as i predict that it's total bullshit.

EDIT well, they DID concentrate on more underground albums than mainstream, and left most of the trends aside. while i haven't listened to even 10 of all those albums in full, i applaud the time and effort put into making the top.

oh yeah and the #3 choice turns the whole top 100 in a fail most overrated album ever imo(yes, they even beat the last two Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer albums)

i havnt even heard about alot of the albums in the list
09.12.2009 - 03:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2009 at 22:22

No kidding, it seems it's mostly stoner/sludge/alternative type stuff. Interesting list for sure. Definitely not what I was expecting when I saw the title of the thread (I was expecting a list of Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and As I Lay Dying worship).

I would have gone for a little more variation, you can tell the creator(s) of this list definitely favour stoner type stuff. There was two things that really caught me off guard, the first being the inclusion of Andrew WK's I Get Wet, fantastic album, and even though I'm sure there would be an ongoing debate over whether his music is metal or not, that album would probably make it onto a list of mine as well. The second thing that caught me off guard was how high they put High On Fire's Surrounded By Thieves, I'm a huge HoF fan for sure, but not even I consider it to be all that worthy of such a high spot, and most certainly not ahead of Death Is This Communion.

The only real complaint I have against the list is the inclusion of Fugazi...seriously? C'mon!
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.12.2009 - 03:36
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Powerslavex on 09.12.2009 at 00:46

NO With Oden On Our Side! it should be topping the list

Same thoughts here, no Amon Amarth at all!? Hmm... Oh, well. At least it's not one of those usual lists that include all known bands and nothing else. So, I'll say it's ok, only because it could've really been really bad.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
09.12.2009 - 03:38
thesabbathfan
I see some favourism for stoner metal and math metal...

but how the hell did Converge end up number 1?
----
09.12.2009 - 05:36
Culty
Yeah i wanna know why Converge is up there at number one. They were pretty terrible live when i saw them and their songs were also pretty bad. But i suppose thats just personal taste really.
----
Gfnttlr
09.12.2009 - 07:09
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
^^^ because it's a top 100 list of albums not live performances

Pretty weird people are complaining about Jane Doe being #1 when no one mentions Jupiter being #2 and not deserving to be that high at all. This is a really diverse list though and I'm surprised a metal magazine wrote something as good as this.

As for the list... whatever... but I don't get how they think ...And Then You'll Beg by Cryptopsy is better than Once Was Not.

I think at work today I'll make my own list
09.12.2009 - 14:41
There are REALLY some missing albums in the list, but it didn't disappoint me, compared to the other lists its just OK.

Did just one person write this list? Cause it seems to be
09.12.2009 - 14:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
Interesting list although I've probably only listened to about 25 % of those albums.
----
09.12.2009 - 15:30
Elio
Red Nightmare
Blue Record at 13 is fucking bullshit, it is a mediocre album. But Jane Doe surely deserve a top5 place at least, so good call. Nice to see CellScape and Ashes Against the Grain in the top20 too, and also some unexpected ones like Shellac's or Mare.

btw I didn't understand, WHO made this list?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.12.2009 - 16:45
soadbyob
Account deleted
Quote:
NO With Oden On Our Side! it should be topping the list/quote]

Yeah, except for that, pretty good list
09.12.2009 - 17:10
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I expect that list would be down to one or two people... I just refuse to believe that a group representing a professional metal magazine that isn't utterly commercial would call the new Slayer one of the best metal albums of the decade.

Plus ATDI (#52), and TWO from Killswitch Engage... ridiculous... also was expecting at least one mention of Disillusion in there. I haven't heard much from them but I know they are very well-regarded. Anyway, the lack of death & thrash there shows a polar opposite from my own personal taste... I'll edit in more, positive, opinion in the next couple days.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
09.12.2009 - 18:35
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Doc G. on 09.12.2009 at 03:10

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2009 at 22:22

No kidding, it seems it's mostly stoner/sludge/alternative type stuff. Interesting list for sure. Definitely not what I was expecting when I saw the title of the thread (I was expecting a list of Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and As I Lay Dying worship).

Exactly.. It's surprising not to see Slipknot on the top of the list.. And yes, I think it's a stoner/sludge/alternative type stuff as well..
Of course there are tons of albums missed in this list, because for instance you can make top 100 list for each genre.. But it was interesting after all, though I haven't heard the winner album of this list.. :
09.12.2009 - 19:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
And the whining commences. everyone bitching, please draft up your list. i am chomping at the bit to bitch about albums *YOU* left off or horribly overrated. because, ya know, your taste is better than the decibel staff, and my taste is better than yours, right?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.12.2009 - 19:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I don't see so much sludge/stoner on this list at all, just a couple of deserved ones.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2009 - 19:35
VPeter
Not that bad, could be way worse - but it make me puke that Primordial is on that list.
09.12.2009 - 19:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by VPeter on 09.12.2009 at 19:35

Not that bad, could be way worse - but it make me puke that Primordial is on that list.

Yes, we know of your unfounded hatred towards Primordial. You are just pissed off that your beloved folk metal bands don't come anywhere near the awesomeness that Primordial are
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2009 - 19:55
VPeter
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.12.2009 at 19:46

Written by VPeter on 09.12.2009 at 19:35

Yes, we know of your unfounded hatred towards Primordial. You are just pissed off that your beloved folk metal bands don't come anywhere near the awesomeness that Primordial are

To be honest they have one of them, Agalloch. All tough Ashes Against the Grain is not my favorite of theirs. I miss a couple others though Falkenbach's ...Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri... , Arkona's Ot Serdtsa K Nebu and Empyrium's Songs of Moors and Misty Fields. Who are all way better then that awful wannabe-intelligent emo crap metal led by arrogant asshole wannabe-poet of a frontman, luckily they get their ass rejected each time by the the mainstream folk metal crowd In this case the mainstream is right, hell Korpiklaani has even more depth then that pathetic emo band.
09.12.2009 - 20:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by VPeter on 09.12.2009 at 19:55

To be honest they have one of them, Agalloch. All tough Ashes Against the Grain is not my favorite of theirs. I miss a couple others though Falkenbach's ...Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri... , Arkona's Ot Serdtsa K Nebu and Empyrium's Songs of Moors and Misty Fields. Who are all way better then that awful wannabe-intelligent emo crap metal led by arrogant asshole wannabe-poet of a frontman, luckily they get their ass rejected each time by the the mainstream folk metal crowd In this case the mainstream is right, hell Korpiklaani has even more depth then that pathetic emo band.

Just showing mainstream folk metal crowd doesn't recognize good music when it graces their ears.
Btw, you clearly have never met or talked to Alan cause he is totally not arrogant at all. He is one of the most down-to-earth people around in the metal scene.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2009 - 20:49
VPeter
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.12.2009 at 20:00

Written by VPeter on 09.12.2009 at 19:55

Just showing mainstream folk metal crowd doesn't recognize good music when it graces their ears.
Btw, you clearly have never met or talked to Alan cause he is totally not arrogant at all. He is one of the most down-to-earth people around in the metal scene.

in this case they do know it isn't there something for you to bitch about in this list?
09.12.2009 - 20:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by VPeter on 09.12.2009 at 20:49

in this case they do know it isn't there something for you to bitch about in this list?

yes, wtf is Iron Maiden in it at all, and then more specifically in the top 10?
why are The Dillinger Escape PLan in their with their two weakest albums? And not with the groundbreaking Calculating INfinity?

But in general I really like this list cause of the lack of mainstream bands in there. They clearly went for the more groundbreaking acts around
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2009 - 20:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Oh yeah for Agalloch is should be The Mantle instead of Ashes Against The Grain
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.12.2009 - 01:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Marcel who are ''we'' ?
Well quate nice, and i dont wanna comment, because my list be diferent some undersated albums isnt there good Cathedral and Electric wizard are into list
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.12.2009 - 07:38
Konrad
Mormon Storm
"100. Slayer - World Painted Blood"
----
Brujerizmo!
10.12.2009 - 12:16
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I don't think I see a single Power Metal band up there, no problem really. But some pretty big names like Mastodon, Opeth and Isis (which I don't really like lol) are up there still, so I won't say it's all underground.

However, I think I should check out more of Converge's stuff. Really enjoyed their output this year.

But really, what the hell is Brave New World doing way up there?
----
loves 小巫