Metal Storm logo
While Heaven Wept

13.12.2009 - 02:38
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
Couldnt find any thread on this great band. Of Empires Forlorn is to me one of the greatest Epic doom metal records you will ever hear. Even if youre not a big fan of epic/traditional doom-metal its hard to dislike this album, its a masterpiece for sure.
----
17.12.2009 - 04:24
Richard
Elite
Yes, I bought Of Empires Forlorn a few years ago, perhaps not long after its release, and it's the only album of While Heaven Wept that I own. It's not an album that I listen to often, but the band kind of have their own sound, which as you say, could well appeal to a wider audience than just doomsters. The vocals have a wonderfully 'pure' sound and sense of melody. It's actually somewhat 'uplifting' for a doom album.
----
17.12.2009 - 07:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Although Of Empires Forlorn is a masterpiece my only problem with it is that althugh it is only 42 minutes long it contains TWO covers.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2009 - 11:45
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2009 at 07:44

Although Of Empires Forlorn is a masterpiece my only problem with it is that althugh it is only 42 minutes long it contains TWO covers.

Yeah I agree about that. But in the end I prefer quality over quantity. You can look at it as if it is just an EP instead of full length album then you will like it more and dont see the shortness as a problem
----
17.12.2009 - 11:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Azhidahak on 17.12.2009 at 11:45

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2009 at 07:44

Yeah I agree about that. But in the end I prefer quality over quantity. You can look at it as if it is just an EP instead of full length album then you will like it more and dont see the shortness as a problem

I don't actually see the shortness as a problem. I just see the two covers as a problem. Even though they are good, they are nowhere near as good as their own songs
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2009 - 07:02
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
Written by Richard on 17.12.2009 at 04:24

the band kind of have their own sound, which as you say, could well appeal to a wider audience than just doomsters. The vocals have a wonderfully 'pure' sound and sense of melody. It's actually somewhat 'uplifting' for a doom album.

I couldnt describe it better myself, man you should write more reviews you are good
----
18.12.2009 - 07:25
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was listening to a bit of their latest album on their myspace a few days ago and found myself surprised. Maybe it's just me, but this certainly doesn't appear too doomy to me. I was getting too much of a cheesy power vibe to enjoy it. Great musicianship and the lot, but I just wasn't feeling it. I am largely ignorant as to what else this band has put out, so maybe pointing me at some other material by them would change my mind. That's just one of my first takes. As Richard said though, very "uplifting." The band does have some good licks though, just not a fan of the power elements (some vocals, keys, compositions, et cetera.)
----
The force will be with you, always.
18.12.2009 - 17:56
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 18.12.2009 at 07:25

I was listening to a bit of their latest album on their myspace a few days ago and found myself surprised. Maybe it's just me, but this certainly doesn't appear too doomy to me. I was getting too much of a cheesy power vibe to enjoy it. Great musicianship and the lot, but I just wasn't feeling it. I am largely ignorant as to what else this band has put out, so maybe pointing me at some other material by them would change my mind. That's just one of my first takes. As Richard said though, very "uplifting." The band does have some good licks though, just not a fan of the power elements (some vocals, keys, compositions, et cetera.)

Ummm, Im not sure if your opinion would change if you listened to their other stuff because that is pretty much their style. And to me, thats fine they dont have to sound super doomy like all the other bands. Sounding a bit different is what makes them special to me.
----
18.12.2009 - 19:28
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Azhidahak on 18.12.2009 at 17:56

Ummm, Im not sure if your opinion would change if you listened to their other stuff because that is pretty much their style. And to me, thats fine they dont have to sound super doomy like all the other bands. Sounding a bit different is what makes them special to me.

I understand. It's probably just one of those things where if I give them time I would enjoy them more. We'll see.
----
19.12.2009 - 03:21
Richard
Elite
Thanks, Azhidahak!

Clint W., I can understand your initial reaction to WHW's music. (As I said, I only know the album 'Of Empires Forlorn' myself, but Azhidahak says their other stuff is of a similar style anyway). But this is why I think some non-doom people may be interested in the band. They are generally categorised as 'traditional doom', but perhaps many would find that term inaccurate.

Whilst they may appeal to some power metal fans, I don't think 'cheesy power' applies to them.. They have an uplifting feel at times, but not in the same way that modern power metal is often associated with!
----
19.12.2009 - 08:51
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Richard on 19.12.2009 at 03:21

I don't think 'cheesy power' applies to them.

Yeah, maybe not. I love American Power Metal, but for some reason it didn't click with me. I know some of the members are/where in Twisted Tore Dire which is a good sign. I'll have to try and give the album you named a listed and return with some new opinions. It's unfair to form an opinion after a few listens to just a few songs, but we all do it.
----
11.07.2015 - 02:47
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Didn't want to create a new topic about the band!

Anyway, I am looking for some recommendations for other bands that sound like While Heaven Wept? From the more doomy early stuff to the latest prog type stuff. I can't find anyone else that is as good as them, so I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I only started listening to them a few months ago and every band someone points me to has harsh vocals. I want clean vocals like WHW and the same epic sound

Cheers!
11.07.2015 - 16:29
IronAngel
Written by Belegûr on 11.07.2015 at 02:47

Anyway, I am looking for some recommendations for other bands that sound like While Heaven Wept? From the more doomy early stuff to the latest prog type stuff. I can't find anyone else that is as good as them, so I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I only started listening to them a few months ago and every band someone points me to has harsh vocals. I want clean vocals like WHW and the same epic sound

Cheers!

You may want to check out Procession, Atlantean Kodex and even Lost Horizon (going from epic doom to doomy epic heavy to epic power metal, respectively). There are plenty more you can find in the doom recommendation topics, but these are the first that come to mind of powerful, uplifting, bombastic, feel-good metal.

11.07.2015 - 16:30
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by IronAngel on 11.07.2015 at 16:29

Written by Belegûr on 11.07.2015 at 02:47

Cheers!

You may want to check out Procession, Atlantean Kodex and even Lost Horizon (going from epic doom to doomy epic heavy to epic power metal, respectively). There are plenty more you can find in the doom recommendation topics, but these are the first that come to mind of powerful, uplifting, bombastic, feel-good metal.

I am a big fan of Lost Horizon and recently started listening to Atlantean Kodex too. I will check out Procession and the doom topic. Thanks!
11.07.2015 - 16:40
IronAngel
Written by Belegûr on 11.07.2015 at 16:30

I am a big fan of Lost Horizon and recently started listening to Atlantean Kodex too. I will check out Procession and the doom topic. Thanks!

For more epic doom: early Solitude Aeternus, Solstice, Candlemass, Warning, early Doomsword. I guess Isole, Argus and Krux, too. You probably know most of these and they're not all as "epic" as WHW, but worth checking out anyway.
11.07.2015 - 16:50
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by IronAngel on 11.07.2015 at 16:40

Written by Belegûr on 11.07.2015 at 16:30

For more epic doom: early Solitude Aeternus, Solstice, Candlemass, Warning, early Doomsword. I guess Isole, Argus and Krux, too. You probably know most of these and they're not all as "epic" as WHW, but worth checking out anyway.

Thanks again.

I know Solitude Aeternus, Candlemass and Doomsword. I'll definitely check out the others