Metal Storm logo
Burzum - New Album Details

Official press release

It's been 11 long years and now the world will see the return of Burzum. The highly anticipated new album is entitled Belus after the name of the ancient European solar deity of light and innocence. Belus is not a religious album or an anti-religious album, nor is it a political one, but an attempt to explore the myths about Belus and unveil the oldest roots of our cultural heritage. The album deals with the death of Belus, his sombre journey through the realm of death and his magnificent return. In essence the album and the story of Belus is meant to be an entertaining story about something that once upon a time played a major role in the forming and shaping of Europe.

Varg Vikernes explains: "The album has been made according to my heart and spirit, and not to fit into any particular genre or category, or to live up to anyone's obvious expectations". The music can best be compared to the music of some of the old Burzum albums; in particular the ground breaking Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and the atmospheric brilliances of Filosofem, only the ambient parts present on these albums has been almost completely left out on Belus. "There is no special reason for this, other than coincidence and the fact that I have for some time made more and better music on the guitar rather than on the keyboard".

"Inspiration for the album has come from a variety of sources, and I find my inspiration from fairy tales and myths, from classical music, from memories of what once was, from traditional music, from fantasy, from the wind and weather, from deep forests and running water, from the sky and the sunset, from misty mountains and from yellow leaves falling from age old trees".

"My ambition with Belus is to create something I - and hopefully others too - can listen to for years and years to come without ever growing tired of it, and at the same time to share with my audience the experience of getting to know Belus, as he might have been perceived by the ancient Europeans". The combination of lyrics and music makes this a fairy tale different from most others, and should appeal to all those who like transcendental music and love to see different things from a different perspective. "If I can make you dream when listening to this album, I believe I have done a good job".

"I am aware of the black metal association with the name Burzum, and I have no real and serious problem with that, but I personally see no reason to place Belus in any category. I think Belus musically transcends all existing categories, but if I have to choose one - and for the sake of simplicity - I will simply place it in the metal category".

Belus will be released worldwide on Byelobog Productions on the 8th March 2010.

Belus [cover art] tracklist:

01. Lukans Renkespill
02. Belus' Død
03. Glemselens Elv
04. Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning
05. Besøk Til Kelio
06. Alvenes Dans
07. Alvegavene
08. Sverddans
09. Keliohesten
10. Morgenrøde
11. Belus' Tilbakekomst

Source: burzum.org
Band profile: Burzum
Posted: 13.12.2009 by SlaytallicA

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 39   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 326 users
13.12.2009 - 11:27
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Oddly enough, I cant wait..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
13.12.2009 - 11:54
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
I know this man is controversial, but his statements are that of a true artist.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
13.12.2009 - 12:07
Written by ItalktotheWind on 13.12.2009 at 11:54

I know this man is controversial, but his statements are that of a true artist.

Ditto.

Kinda disappointed that there will be no keyboard atmopsheric stuff in there; Dauði Baldrs and Hlidskalf were such enjoyable albums. Still I'm glad to see he's keeping the music going.
13.12.2009 - 12:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Lol looking to Varg pic somehow it remainds me 3 letters KKK :d white face mask will fit on his face perfectly
I wate this album,. but its be moust overated BM album evere realised IMO
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.12.2009 - 14:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
We will see...but i definitely looking forward to it and get it asap
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.12.2009 - 14:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
I need this! Hell yes!
----
13.12.2009 - 15:47
Immortal
Fucking hell! Can't wait!!!
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
13.12.2009 - 16:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Irritable Ted on 13.12.2009 at 14:53

I though he hated the guitar, saying something racist about it.

Yep. he said he would never play metal again cause of the use of the guitar which he said is a n*gg*r instrument.
But it seems mister fickle bitch has changed her mind once again. (what else's new) The idiot can't even hold the same opinion about something for longer than a day it seems.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.12.2009 - 18:39
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Black people did invent rock n' roll...see...his problem is that he lives in Norway. He needs to come down to Nawlins and experience the true beauty of black culture...not the corporate psuedo-hip hop bullshit that is presented to europeans.

Like this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMwahoMdBA
----
Brujerizmo!
13.12.2009 - 20:12
jadawal
Isn't all modern black culture based around hip-hop (and it's rise of popularity)? In a way, I see the urban gangster disease spreading throughout the world morphing people into melody-mindlessness music fillees (one that is a filler) that waste my time, and I'm sure a lot of others (who are brave enough to admit it) think the same way. Life is short, why fill it with a soundtrack of a steady bass line loop I can make in my sleep?

Well, exaggerating a little, and obviously it's all a matter of opinion. I want to fill the ever-flowing stream of sound going in my brain with something I find amazing. And on Metalstorm and in the (non-commercial) metal/rock scene, I find great melodies to live my life by. I can say accurately that most all black music grinds my gears. It seems to me so, in fact, I absolutely dislike black culture and black attitudes. Now if it wasn't for enslavement by the "all-powerful white man" then maybe these old hominids wouldn't have turned out so annoying to me. : o

I am not racist, nor do I hate hip-hop music; just mostly the gangster rap and the hip-hop/urban style that I see people (ranged in age from 5 years old and older) flaunting a style they know nothing about upon others (mainly because they think it's cool, and that's it because mtv says so). But these common american black folk are thinking the same thing...They see a man of their race wearing a black metal t-shirt, they probably ridicule him/her, because s/he's not like the rest. Maybe?

Black people are as equal in every aspect of human features that is possible, as any rational-thinking person would assume. They are the first homo sapiens, before white people ever existed; evolving from primate species from chimpanzees to bonobos to modern archaeological finds of hominid species like homo erectus and homo africanus. They are just as evolved as other races, not caught in a time frame where they keep their dark skin nor any lower intellectual capacity. Even south african people living in tribes have the same mental capacity, as some readers may (innocently)ignorantly think differently. Though the "tribal" south africans live a completely different culture, some still live most of their lives as a hunter-gatherers (which back in the days of early hominids millions of years ago, and lower mental capacity, hunter-gatherers had pretty basic minds compared to what we have now). These people now are just as homo sapien as anyone is, in the now tangled web of human evolution.

In response to Varg's statement regarding "a guitar is a nigger instrument" therefore he won't play, is in fact, ignorant and utterly stupid. We were all once black, our ancestors. Everyone has their opinions, and Varg is stuck in an old way of thinking. It's only a very recent happening in the world that many races live together in peace.

When I started rambling on I think I had a premise...oh yeah, I dislike black culture and trends, but I love and respect them as a race. There is hip-hop artists that I thoroughly enjoy like Tribe Called Quest, Jurassic Five, Mos Def, The Roots (just to name a couple for all you metalheads out there haha) but - and I can say this from the bottom of my soul - most hip-hop is just jibberish lyrics about "riding down the road with a shotgun and girls and boom boom goes my shotty" jabbered over a beat that was made in the matter of an hour, and is an excuse for music in my opinion (comparable to really shitty metal bands out there...). And lately the common person is a non-music lover, and all they want to hear is a catchy background tune they can dispose of a month later. So no wonder this stuff is popular?

Everyone has their own race and everyone will always have a somewhat biased opinion towards things not of their own. Varg is an idiot, he's a murderer. And sometimes idiots say stupid things, but no one is perfect (especially so when anything he says to anyone is documented). Idiots can sometimes make good music too, to me it's interesting to get into someones mind that experienced the things that he did. I'm sure the ideas of his new album were thought of in prison, and what better place is that to solemnly think of ideas and express your aggression?

I am excited to hear this new release.
13.12.2009 - 21:14
VPeter
Out of nostalgia, I will check this out.
13.12.2009 - 22:56
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Hail..!
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
13.12.2009 - 23:05
Symmachus
Nice development. Can someone fix the fact that the album cover isn't showing up or, somehow, is it just my computer?
14.12.2009 - 00:25
Kinzoku
Will be an interesting listen to say the least.
14.12.2009 - 00:26
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Cover art isn't working because, it's more than likely linked to the official Burzum page where the logo isn't working on their page either.
14.12.2009 - 00:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
It's working just fine for me.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.12.2009 - 00:52
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Lucas on 14.12.2009 at 00:30

It's working just fine for me.

i can second that
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.12.2009 - 01:11
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by jadawal on 13.12.2009 at 20:12

Isn't all modern black culture based around hip-hop (and it's rise of popularity)? In a way, I see the urban gangster disease spreading throughout the world morphing people into melody-mindlessness music fillees (one that is a filler) that waste my time, and I'm sure a lot of others (who are brave enough to admit it) think the same way. Life is short, why fill it with a soundtrack of a steady bass line loop I can make in my sleep?

Well, exaggerating a little, and obviously it's all a matter of opinion. I want to fill the ever-flowing stream of sound going in my brain with something I find amazing. And on Metalstorm and in the (non-commercial) metal/rock scene, I find great melodies to live my life by. I can say accurately that most all black music grinds my gears. It seems to me so, in fact, I absolutely dislike black culture and black attitudes. Now if it wasn't for enslavement by the "all-powerful white man" then maybe these old hominids wouldn't have turned out so annoying to me. : o

I am not racist, nor do I hate hip-hop music; just mostly the gangster rap and the hip-hop/urban style that I see people (ranged in age from 5 years old and older) flaunting a style they know nothing about upon others (mainly because they think it's cool, and that's it because mtv says so). But these common american black folk are thinking the same thing...They see a man of their race wearing a black metal t-shirt, they probably ridicule him/her, because s/he's not like the rest. Maybe?

Black people are as equal in every aspect of human features that is possible, as any rational-thinking person would assume. They are the first homo sapiens, before white people ever existed; evolving from primate species from chimpanzees to bonobos to modern archaeological finds of hominid species like homo erectus and homo africanus. They are just as evolved as other races, not caught in a time frame where they keep their dark skin nor any lower intellectual capacity. Even south african people living in tribes have the same mental capacity, as some readers may (innocently)ignorantly think differently. Though the "tribal" south africans live a completely different culture, some still live most of their lives as a hunter-gatherers (which back in the days of early hominids millions of years ago, and lower mental capacity, hunter-gatherers had pretty basic minds compared to what we have now). These people now are just as homo sapien as anyone is, in the now tangled web of human evolution.

In response to Varg's statement regarding "a guitar is a nigger instrument" therefore he won't play, is in fact, ignorant and utterly stupid. We were all once black, our ancestors. Everyone has their opinions, and Varg is stuck in an old way of thinking. It's only a very recent happening in the world that many races live together in peace.

When I started rambling on I think I had a premise...oh yeah, I dislike black culture and trends, but I love and respect them as a race. There is hip-hop artists that I thoroughly enjoy like Tribe Called Quest, Jurassic Five, Mos Def, The Roots (just to name a couple for all you metalheads out there haha) but - and I can say this from the bottom of my soul - most hip-hop is just jibberish lyrics about "riding down the road with a shotgun and girls and boom boom goes my shotty" jabbered over a beat that was made in the matter of an hour, and is an excuse for music in my opinion (comparable to really shitty metal bands out there...). And lately the common person is a non-music lover, and all they want to hear is a catchy background tune they can dispose of a month later. So no wonder this stuff is popular?

Everyone has their own race and everyone will always have a somewhat biased opinion towards things not of their own. Varg is an idiot, he's a murderer. And sometimes idiots say stupid things, but no one is perfect (especially so when anything he says to anyone is documented). Idiots can sometimes make good music too, to me it's interesting to get into someones mind that experienced the things that he did. I'm sure the ideas of his new album were thought of in prison, and what better place is that to solemnly think of ideas and express your aggression?

I am excited to hear this new release.

In answer to your first question, no...it isn't. Black culture comprises not only Hip-Hop, but also the beginnings of Rock and Roll, Jazz, Reggae, Soul music, Ska, Punk, Hardcore, Blues, and practically every other great genre of this upcoming century, and the last.

White people are actually to blame for the ignorant, filthy 'rap' music that is so prevalent in our society today. If you want to review hip-hop history, you should start with the beginning...where it was used as a positive political weapon to get a powerful message across to people. It was the language of the streets. It gave people hope, and helped them realize that they were actually worth something. Just because greedy corporations hijacked it and started paying money to all the ignorant ganster rappers in hopes that what they were singing about would influence people negatively and keep them down doesn't mean that there's not good hip-hop out there.

How would you like it if people based their knowledge of rock on what they heard on the radio...or their knowledge of metal on the limited mediocre and shitty bands they once heard. In every genre, there is quality, thought provoking music....and all music is derived from other music. You should probably do some more research on the subject matter.

Edit** I do not wish to say that people aren't responsible for their own actions. If someone wants to promote Drugs, Sex and Violence then that is their own fault. But the corporations choose what is mass-produced, not the musicians. There is much more to black culture to hip-hop...and it's impossible to "love black people" if you don't appreciate their true culture.

I also disagree that Varg is an Idiot...I believe he is very intelligent, and perhaps too intelligent for his own good. Perhaps some of his actions/comments of the past have been either questionable, or downright wrong...but I like him as a person and look forward to his new album. People should be allowed to learn from their mistakes in the society we live in...and I give lots of Credit for actually having a functioning legal-system that actually looks to make the best out of people instead of simply punish them.
----
Brujerizmo!
14.12.2009 - 01:13
Konrad
Mormon Storm
P.s. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMwahoMdBA
----
Brujerizmo!
14.12.2009 - 11:47
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
I have never been a big fan of Burzum, but I did appreciate his old albums, so I'm waiting for this one as well. "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" and "Det Som En Gang Var" were absolutely terrible when it came to musicianship and production, but there was something in that music. I kind of felt that those sounds came from within, that Varg put his soul into them.
A few years ago I was visited by 2 friends. They live away from me and we only meet a few times a year. Their musical interests are almost completely mdetached from any form of metal. But they do have open minds. We started a heated discussion about music. I was making a speech about the perception of music, about how it is actually irrelevant what instruments are playing and at what speed. I tried to make a point about feelings and atmosphere being the most important factors when it comes to perception of music. They asked me to play something to reinforce my point of view. So I played "Det Som En Gang Var" in its entirety...
And they understood. The guy that hates metal listened to the whole 14 minutes of the song and told me that I got my message through to him! So yeah, I think Varg is capable of making good music. I do hope he didn't lose that ability in jail.
14.12.2009 - 13:51
Hamird
Lieutenant
I have no idea about track list, because I know no Norwegian. I put them in Google Translate and had some complicated translations for result.. But the cover art is very good I say.
By the way, I think the font used for the album title and Burzum name is the one that Opeth use for their logo.. I've downloaded this font..
14.12.2009 - 14:12
Necromutant
The cover picture is not the best I have seen but the music will certainly be very interesting.
14.12.2009 - 14:31
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I'm not Norweigan but I speak Swedish fluently, and pretty much Danish so I tried to translate some of the titles - but wait for a Norwegian to comment before you confirm thoose

01. Lukans Renkespill
02. Belus' Død - The Death of Belus
03. Glemselens Elv
04. Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning - The lowering (?) of Kaimadalthas
05. Besøk Til Kelio - Visiting Kelio
06. Alvenes Dans - The Dance of the Elves
07. Alvegavene
08. Sverddans - Sworddance
09. Keliohesten - The Kelio Horse
10. Morgenrøde - Morninglight/Red Morning
11. Belus' Tilbakekomst - The Return of Belus
14.12.2009 - 14:41
''In every genre, there is quality, thought provoking music....and all music is derived from other
music. '' - Konrad .......one hundred percent right....

''They are just as evolved as other races,'' -jadawal .......equality....
''Theguy that hates metal listened to the whole 14 minutes of the song and told me that I got my message through to him! '' - daniell_P ......awesome... interesting friends too...
Why do all of us think that metal is the best genre of music? Many answers. One is that it has evolved from the blues.
This guy has made amazing music. Its been so
me time and im sure a ton of though went into this release. It willl be an experience to listen to it.
14.12.2009 - 16:30
TheBigRossowski
Well, my opinion hasn't changed, I'll still check it out. Glad it's got a different cover though, this one looks much less homosexual.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
15.12.2009 - 00:53
Symmachus
I looked up the cover elsewhere, and it is a quite decent one. It has a nice font and a nice nature shot.
15.12.2009 - 02:28
Richard
elite
Curiously, nothing has yet been said about Varg's vocal style on this forthcoming album. Will it be the tormented wailing of the first few releases, or the distorted style he used on 'Filosofem' - or maybe something different? Perhaps it will be an instrumental album with no vocals? It will be interesting to hear.
----
15.12.2009 - 04:24
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Nice tracklist, I understand nothing
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.12.2009 - 12:06
Forsaker
15.12.2009 - 21:46
frons79
Written by Bad English on 13.12.2009 at 12:56
(...) but its be moust overated BM album evere realised IMO
who said that's gonna be BM? Sure not him...

Hits total: 8152 | This month: 17