02. Within The Realms Of Human Awareness
03. Wingless
04. Suffering
05. Denied
06. Livin' In A Cold Lie
07. Oncoming Apocalypse
08. Engraved Flesh
09. The Parasite's Curse

Although they started out as a thrash metal band back in the summer of 2003, Symbolyc recently released their debut, a slice of merciless death metal. With some totally neck-breaking riffs and fantastic mid-tempo performances these Italians definitely know how to get the job done, showing some resemblances to bands like Vader and Decapitated in the process. The right amount of groove, a few melodic solos and some technical finesses round off the package and make Engraved Flesh a very strong death metal album.

Death metal has never been known for its huge amount of innovative bands and Symbolyc are no exception to rule. Although they're one of the best new bands in this style that I've heard since a while, this is nothing that hasn't been done before.

Instead the band just focuses on doing a good job with trusted ingredients. The twin guitars deliver solid and diverse performances with the drumming providing a steady backbone, with a couple of fast outbursts. On top of it singer Diego Laino mercilessly growls his lungs out. The many solos act as short but powerful diversions until the carnage continues in its full glory.

With a very good production and no fillers, Engraved Flesh offers thirty-three minutes of powerful death metal, that mixes some of the more melodic and more extreme sides of the genre. They don't offer anything new to the style, but they definitely know how to get the job done and leave me begging for more.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Bas | 14.12.2009

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 106 users
14.12.2009 - 13:51
silenius

Checking it out
14.12.2009 - 18:01
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Yeah, sounds nice, I'll have to give it a try. BTW according to m-a this is a My Kingdom re-issue of an 08 self-release, which would make it ineligible for the awards
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
15.12.2009 - 03:48
Richard

Judging from the myspace stuff, this seems a fair review. The music doesn't seem to be particularly different or exceptional, but for what it is, it's OK. You say this band started out as a thrash band, and I could understand that, as I think there are still some elements of thrash to their approach.
----
20.02.2011 - 19:05
Rating: 9
ChibiDemigod

This band needs more recognition seriously

Hits total: 3911 | This month: 2