Metal Storm logo
Pedantic Marcel's Top 100 Of 2000-2009

Written by: Marcel Hubregtse
Published: 14.12.2009

After long deliberation, rolling of die, countless bottles of Lagavulin and Stolychnaya, Cohiba cigars I have come to the following top 100 for the past decade.
Have a look at it, be baffled, cry your eyes out, swear your head off, or just shake your head in total disbelief.

Oh yeah before you continue reading... I want to say that no splits, demos, re-releases, compilations, ep's, 7"'s or live recordings were included. Just full-lengths.

So here it is:
Marcel's Top 100 of 2000-2009

1. Warning - Watching From A Distance
2. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
3. Primordial - To The Nameless Dead
4. Process Of Guilt - Erosion
5. Negura Bunget - OM
6. Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
7. Neurosis - Given To The Rising
8. Burst - Origo
9. Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
10. Alchemist - Austral Asian

11. Enslaved - Isa
12. Shining - IV: The Eerie Cold
13. Mastodon - Remission
14. Melechesh - Emissaries
15. Today Is The Day - Sadness Will Prevail
16. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
17. Enslaved - Below The Lights
18. Skepticism - Farmakon
19. Agalloch - The Mantle
20. Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

21. Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned
22. Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters
23. Strapping Young Lad - Strapping Young Lad
24. Death Angel - The Art Of Dying
25. Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
26. Meshuggah - Nothing
27. Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
28. Esoteric - Subconcious Dissolution Into The Continuum
29. Leviathan - Tentacles Of Whorror
30. Enslaved - Monumension

31. Hollenthon - With Vilest Of Worms To Dwell
32. Textures - Drawing Circles
33. Mournful Congregation - The Monad Of Creation
34. Opeth - Blackwater Park
35. Emperor - Prometheus: The Discpline Of Fire & Demise
36. Lurker Of Chalice - Lurker Of Chalice
37. Watain - Casus Luciferi
38. Evoken - Quietus
39. Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
40. Mourning Beloveth - Dust

41. Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
42. The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls With Sand
43. Revelation - Release
44. Officium Triste - Reason
45. Xasthur - The Funeral Of Being
46. Thorns - Thorns
47. Corrupted - El Mundo Frio
48. Funeral Mist - Salvation
49. Baroness - Red Album
50. Khanate - Things Viral

51. Devin Townsend - Terria
52. Shining - III: Självdestruktivitetens Emissarie
53. Satyricon - Volcano
54. Alchemist - Organasm
55. Mar De Grises - Draining The Waterheart
56. Ondskapt - Draco Sit Mihi Dux
57. Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
58. Mar De Grises - The Tatterdemalion Express
59. Krux - Krux II
60. While Heaven Wept - ...Of Empires Forlorn

61. Orodruin - Epicurean Mass
62. Reverend Bizarre - So Long Suckers
63. Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus
64. Forest Stream - Tears Of Mortal Solitude
65. Dolorian - Dolorian
66. Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness
67. Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
68. Indesinence - Noctambulism
69. Thee Plague Of Gentlemen - Primula Pestis
70. Umbra Nihil - Gnoia

71. Astrofaes - For Those Whose Past Is Immortal
72. Shape Of Despair - Angels Of Distress
73. The Funeral Orchestra - Feeding The Abyss
74. Jack Frost - Wannadie Songs
75. Asunder - Works Will Come Undone
76. Worship - Dooom
77. Aldebaran - Dwellers In Twilight
78. Wreck Of The Hesperus - The Sunken Threshold
79. Keen Of The Crow - Hyborea
80. Morgion - Cloaked By Ages, Crowned In Earth

81. Solitude Aeturnus - Alone
82. Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend
83. Mirror Of Deception - Foregone
84. Mournful Congregation - The June Frost
85. Yakuza - Way Of The Dead
86. Ahab - Call Of The Wretched Sea
87. Candlemass - King Of The Grey Islands
88. Deinonychus - Deinonychus
89. Khanate - Khanate
90. The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Atavism

91. Krieg - The Black House
92. Shape Of Despair - Illusions Play
93. Yob - The Illusion Of Motion
94. Earth - HEX: Or Printing In The Infernal Method
95. Place Of Skulls - The Black Is Never Far
96. Wijlen Wij - Wijlen Wij
97. Wyrd - Huldrafolk
98. After Forever - Decipher
99. Tool - Lateralus
100. Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton

Of course my tastes differ immensely from som other staffers. Thos can be checked out here: Bas, BitterCOld, Darkside Momo, Doc Godin, jupitreas, dismaleuphony, The One Who Can't Count To A 100 (The MSer Formerly Known As Lucas)

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 58   Visited by: 496 users
16.12.2009 - 01:33
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.12.2009 at 00:38

Written by jupitreas on 15.12.2009 at 23:18

I don't get what is so great about this album. Maybe it requires for the listener to be over 30?

I remember it being one of your top albums of 2007 So that means you have changed your mind quite a bit about it.
And yes maybe one has to be over 30 to fully appreciate it, like Craig said: I have a greater sense of loss and regret... and that sense of loss and regret only increases with the years. This album truly epitomizes that for me. After having played the album till death since its release it is still growing on me, so it is probably safe to say that currently this album is the single greatest piece of metal art ever created for me.

Well, I never felt like listening to it again after 2007, which doesnt so much mean I changed my mind as that it didnt stand the test of time...
16.12.2009 - 02:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

I don't get what is so great about this album. Maybe it requires for the listener to be over 30?

I remember it being one of your top albums of 2007 So that means you have changed your mind quite a bit about it.
And yes maybe one has to be over 30 to fully appreciate it, like Craig said: I have a greater sense of loss and regret... and that sense of loss and regret only increases with the years. This album truly epitomizes that for me. After having played the album till death since its release it is still growing on me, so it is probably safe to say that currently this album is the single greatest piece of metal art ever created for me.

it topped my list as well - and my list was actually listed in the super secret MS cave prior to Marcel's... so i'm not copying him. although the fact that there are four albums found in both our top 10's make it look like one of us copied off the other.

as for the album and hte "over 30" dig...

i think there is a lot of truth to it. the consistent theme of the album is a sense of loss, regret, and longing.

you younger whippersnappers have your whole lives in front of you. the world is your oyster. anything can happen. blah blah blah insert cheesy saying here...

once you start getting long in the tooth, those options, chances, and sense of youthful invincibility slowly evaporate around you. you won't even notice as it's going on. ultimately one day you'll look in te mirror and just think, "what happened?" looking back on past decisions that perhaps didn't seem so big at the time, you find yourself wondering if you made the right call. you look forward and realize you are just that much closer to wormfood and it's just too late for many of your aspirations of youth to take root.

i think that is why this album seems to perhaps resonate a little more with us older folk.

and the funny thing is i'm not even a depressed/depressing guy. love my wife, love my dogs, love my friends, like my house. i'm the life of the fucking party.

yet even i have that underlying morose sense of loss/regret looking back and dread looking forward.

Watching From A Distance speaks to those feelings and the ultimate realization there is pretty much fuck-all you can do about it now.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.12.2009 - 02:37
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by BitterCOld on 16.12.2009 at 02:04

once you start getting long in the tooth, those options, chances, and sense of youthful invincibility slowly evaporate around you. you won't even notice as it's going on. ultimately one day you'll look in te mirror and just think, "what happened?" looking back on past decisions that perhaps didn't seem so big at the time, you find yourself wondering if you made the right call. you look forward and realize you are just that much closer to wormfood and it's just too late for many of your aspirations of youth to take root.

Very well said, that's the 'I'm 30' syndrome.
So maybe I'll have to listen to this album finally - come on, you don't want me to mess with my top 100 again?
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
16.12.2009 - 08:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by BitterCOld on 16.12.2009 at 02:04

as for the album and hte "over 30" dig...

i think there is a lot of truth to it. the consistent theme of the album is a sense of loss, regret, and longing.

you younger whippersnappers have your whole lives in front of you. the world is your oyster. anything can happen. blah blah blah insert cheesy saying here...

i think that is why this album seems to perhaps resonate a little more with us older folk.

and the funny thing is i'm not even a depressed/depressing guy. love my wife, love my dogs, love my friends, like my house. i'm the life of the fucking party.

yet even i have that underlying morose sense of loss/regret looking back and dread looking forward.

Watching From A Distance speaks to those feelings and the ultimate realization there is pretty much fuck-all you can do about it now.

But.... if it reminds you of those bad things, why do you like it so much? Personally, if something made me think like that, I'd avoid it like it was a Trivium album.
24.12.2009 - 07:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think Calculating Infinity was released in 1999. Great album though
24.12.2009 - 13:41
BudDa

I think Warning's Watching From A Distance just requires abit of getting into..hence probably more listens than normal to appreciate it. That said, I too would have it under my top 10 metal album list..and am not yet even 25.Ha!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
24.12.2009 - 16:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 24.12.2009 at 07:22

I think Calculating Infinity was released in 1999. Great album though

Yep, you're right. Will have to remove it and move everything up a spot and find a new nr. 100.

I wonder how it snuck in there. So, why I thought it was from 2000.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.12.2009 - 21:30
Glabrezu

Ehehhh no!! I'm not over 30 yet and I really appreciate the unique vocals of it. I only think that you need a particular mental predisposition to really understand the emotions that some masterpieces communicate. So many great albums are "for a few" and they will remain.
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
28.12.2009 - 12:21
Susan
Smeghead
What a pleasant stroll down memory lane... Sons of Northern Darkness, Dolorian, Tears of Mortal Solitudie ... and it's nice to see After Forever getting a shout-out down there, too! I'd definitely swap the two Primordial albums, though, Gathering Wilderness was faaaar superior!

And this couldn't be more true:

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.12.2009 at 19:28

Of course my tastes differ immensely from som other staffers. For example that of Bas and the one of Jupitreas
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
07.01.2010 - 14:41
Deadsoulman

Nice list. I don't agree with everything (and especially not with Warning as #1) but there's nothing really shocking to me. Also, I'm a bit surprised because knowing your current taste I expected less variation. But, did you really not include any Detonation in this list?
07.01.2010 - 15:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadsoulman on 07.01.2010 at 14:41

Nice list. I don't agree with everything (and especially not with Warning as #1) but there's nothing really shocking to me. Also, I'm a bit surprised because knowing your current taste I expected less variation. But, did you really not include any Detonation in this list?

Although I am a big fan of Detonation, as you know, I don't consider any of their three albums top-100 of the decade worthy. Top 150, yes. Hadn't I heard this huge amount of albums over the past decade they would of course have made it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.01.2010 - 19:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Dangerboner on 16.12.2009 at 08:27

But.... if it reminds you of those bad things, why do you like it so much? Personally, if something made me think like that, I'd avoid it like it was a Trivium album.

weird, never got around to responding.

it is not that the album reminds me of such things, they are there in my head and they surface from time to time, whether or not i'm listening to sad Warning, happy-fun Ska Punk, or whatever.

the late, great John Lee Hooker once said of the music he devoted his life to, "The Blues is a Healer". hearing someone else sing of their hard times helps people with their own issues.

within metal, imbo, Doom is the healer.

this album offers commiseration. listening to someone else sing of his loss and regrets helps remove walls of alienation. "this guy has been through similar, he gets it. he understands." type thing.

that make any sense?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.01.2010 - 00:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
That's pretty much why I think that doom can be very uplifting at times...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.01.2010 - 13:05
Deadsoulman

Written by Glabrezu on 26.12.2009 at 21:30

I really appreciate the unique vocals of it.

It's spelt whiny, w-h-i-n-y
08.01.2010 - 17:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadsoulman on 08.01.2010 at 13:05

Written by Glabrezu on 26.12.2009 at 21:30

I really appreciate the unique vocals of it.

It's spelt whiny, w-h-i-n-y

One who is deaf would call it whiny People with taste would call it emotive and full of soul
For true whiny vocals go and listen to the last couple of My Dying Bride albums.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.01.2010 - 18:48
Deadsoulman

Whiny, emotive, same difference

Somehow I don't mind whininess in MDB but I can't get into Warning because of the vocals. Strange, innit?
09.01.2010 - 02:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Damn.. That IS weird, because I always think of MDB's vocals when I hear the word whiny.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.01.2010 - 15:23
Deadsoulman

Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.01.2010 at 02:01

Damn.. That IS weird, because I always think of MDB's vocals when I hear the word whiny.

Aaron Stainthorpe defines whiny. I didn't say MDB aren't whiny, I said that their whininess doesn't bother me, while Warning's does
18.01.2010 - 13:04
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I didnt see In Mourning in any list.
15.02.2010 - 23:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I read all staffers list and Marcels is closser to mine if I shood do, ok I never ever would pic up bets of decaude because 10 years , I might do it since 2004 2000 I was in metal but only what I can get whit out i net and live like 80's where peoploe made coppies ... so this list is realy good many bands what I like I can maybe pic 5 what I dont like , but for me ist be hard make top 50 for year and top 100 for decade ehhh

Dismal and Baz (not all) was good to
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.02.2010 - 00:49
Hamird
Lieutenant
Oh I never knew you may like Melechesh.. Specially when it's Emissaries. And when it's number 14 in your list make me more surprised.. Anyway for me it's a masterpiece.. Best shape of folk metal I've ever heard.
10.04.2010 - 04:37
Got Mayhem?

One of the best such lists I've seen, and I'm not comparing to just this site but to any site or publication. Many different styles of metal and I agree with many of the choices and many more I will have to look into.
----
25.07.2010 - 12:27
Daniell
_爱情_
Marcel my friend, it's "Austral Alien", not "Asian". I agree that asian girls are hot, but still...
12.10.2011 - 18:11
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Great list, basically agree with everything I had heard from it, especially when it comes to doom. I was surprised to see Indesinence though, I remember having some discussions with you about that band, I thought you didn't like them that much.
04.12.2017 - 15:54
Sang Dalang Abu

Can you update your list to: 2000-2017?
04.12.2017 - 15:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 04.12.2017 at 15:54

Nope, because this list is for the first decade of this cantury.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.03.2023 - 17:00
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 04.12.2017 at 15:54

He will never be able to. Marcel has passed.
27.10.2023 - 12:04
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Wow, that's really sad to hear, i'm sure he introduced me to many of his picks in this list. RIP

Hits total: 12942 | This month: 40