Metal Storm logo
Gamma Ray

Original post

Posted by Angelic Storm, 19.12.2009 - 01:58
I just did a search, and was amazed to find a thread for Gamma Ray doesn't exist. So finally here's the thread for Kai Hansen's awesome power metal band!

To kick things off, I've just seen the cover artwork for their new album "To The Metal". And here it is!

What do you think of it? I think Fangface and the artwork in general is awesome. The guitarist (Im sure it's meant to be Kai! ) being there makes it look a bit silly though!
02.02.2010 - 01:18
Baz Anderson

Yeh, the last two tracks are the best my far for me too. Really great stuff, the rest of the album is good too... but I think my passion for Gamma Ray has kind of slowly crawled away from me from "Majestic" onwards. The show on my 20th birthday was one of the best experiences of my life though.
03.02.2010 - 02:44
Number Juan

I listened to the "To The Metal" video and was not impressed at all. I hope the album is a lot better.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
04.02.2010 - 17:41
Lawre

Written by Number Juan on 03.02.2010 at 02:44

I listened to the "To The Metal" video and was not impressed at all. I hope the album is a lot better.

Don't worry. To The Metal is either the weakest or the second weakest track on the album, the rest of the songs are a LOT better.
04.02.2010 - 17:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lawre on 04.02.2010 at 17:41
Don't worry. To The Metal is either the weakest or the second weakest track on the album, the rest of the songs are a LOT better.

hehee I was just about to say that!

The title track is probably the weakest on the album. And pretty much everyone Ive discussed the album with is in agreement on that. Because the title track was brought out first before the album's release, most people's expectations for the album were low, including my own. But I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the whole album. Definitely far better than that song suggested, and better than their last album, which I found to be disappointing overall.
04.02.2010 - 19:07
Valdyr Nordvindr
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 04.02.2010 at 17:46

Written by Lawre on 04.02.2010 at 17:41

hehee I was just about to say that!

The title track is probably the weakest on the album. And pretty much everyone Ive discussed the album with is in agreement on that. Because the title track was brought out first before the album's release, most people's expectations for the album were low, including my own. But I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the whole album. Definitely far better than that song suggested, and better than their last album, which I found to be disappointing overall.

There also seems to be a degree of consensus that Land of The Free II was disappointing, which I agree with.
16.02.2010 - 23:53
Zio

Written by Lawre on 31.01.2010 at 22:23

The new album sure is great. I've listened to it about 15 times, and the songs just keep growing on me. The best tracks are Rise, Deadlands, Empathy and Time To Live, with Deadlands possibly being the best song they've ever made

Mmm ... I found Rise too similar to Black Diamond (Stratovarius) :
----
Knowing is not enough we must apply. Willing is not enough we must do. ~
17.02.2010 - 16:44
MeTalRea|istiK

Rulez!!better than majestic album..the best track is Rise n all u need to know coz michael kiske is in there!!..n of coz the the drummer in the cover is zimmerman!!
17.02.2010 - 21:04
JÄY
Metal slave
I love gamma ray...my favorite is prolly land of the free II, follwed by majestic and new world order, then land of the free

kai is the man! one day, i hope he is inspired to create something as fast and shredtastic as walls of jericho again, though

I love the cover art for To The Metal so much! best cover ever!
18.02.2010 - 23:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zio on 16.02.2010 at 23:53
Mmm ... I found Rise too similar to Black Diamond (Stratovarius) :

What? It's really nothing like ''Black Diamond'' aside from that it's also a fast and dramatic power metal tune.
19.02.2010 - 14:27
MeTalRea|istiK

Kai hansen is labelled A GODFATHER OF POWER METAL..n of coz his has been idol to many POWER METALLERS out there!!including myself..so..the best album still HEADING FOR TOMORROW..the weakest album is MAJESTIC..but i surely love to keep on following GAMMARAY no matter what!!kai..i luv u man!!!
16.03.2010 - 02:04
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Here are my all-time Top 10 european / melodic / neoclassical power metal albums - including Gamma Ray's Power Plant => http://metalstorm.ee/users/list.php?list_id=83 - with a little description to each one.

OFF: I have a band called Mandara and I'm the keyboard player. Our style is very similar to these bands but I think it's unique at the same time. We are still recording our first 2 demos - planned to be released around May & August. The 1st one called "Meadow Of Dreams" contains 4 songs - Endless Night Momentary Dawn, Embrace My Dream, Hypocrite Reality and Holy Prophecy. I'll upload some stuff to myspace when we are ready - I hope you will enjoy my/our music!
Sorry for the adv!
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
16.03.2010 - 09:16
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
You're such a little spam machine, aren't you?
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
16.03.2010 - 12:57
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 16.03.2010 at 09:16

You're such a little spam machine, aren't you?

I've written these things only in those bands' topics which are featured on my top 10 list + 2 other topics. I've finished, sorry.
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
18.03.2010 - 22:43
Robstar

Well Gamma Ray , what a great power metal band, my favorite album is New World Order... this ew album didn't fullfille my expectations... anyway great band I had the change to see thlive and they rock... Stay In Shadows!!!
----
Nothing is unreacheable
05.04.2010 - 16:17
DragonFly

Gamma ray - definitely one of the greatest bands ever and what makes them very special is their specific vocals... I hate it how most of the power metal/ symphonic power bands have almost identical vocals...

Anyone got PICTURES from their concert in PRAGUE (20.03.10)?
----
Sun in our minds in a world full of ice
11.05.2010 - 14:03
Angel Of Mercy

Yeah Dragonfly I totally agree. Kai Hansen is a godfather among power metal bands.
----
Your time will come.
10.04.2012 - 10:39
Infernal Eternal

KAI IS THE MASTER OF POWER METAL. Nobody can defy that.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
16.04.2012 - 22:49
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I haven't listened to Gamma Ray in years, but recently I've rediscovered the Scheepers era. There's a lot of great stuff on those 3 albums (as well as a massive Priest influence). "Heading for Tomorrow" is just a monumental track.
28.12.2013 - 13:36
Darth Revan

Necro'ing this thread. I know, "To the Metal" is viewed collectively as a massive disappointment, but it wasn't bad enough to kill the goddamn MS thread, come on guys! But seriously, "Empire of the Undead" is looking like a stellar return to form. Title track is nice and speedy, Master of Confusion is catchy enough. Still features somewhat silly lyrics, but that seems to be a trademark for German bands at this point (Last two Helloween albums anyone? What is up with Germany and silly lyrics?).