Metal Storm logo
Gamma Ray

19.12.2009 - 01:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I just did a search, and was amazed to find a thread for Gamma Ray doesn't exist. So finally here's the thread for Kai Hansen's awesome power metal band!

To kick things off, I've just seen the cover artwork for their new album "To The Metal". And here it is!

What do you think of it? I think Fangface and the artwork in general is awesome. The guitarist (Im sure it's meant to be Kai! ) being there makes it look a bit silly though!
19.12.2009 - 19:04
Nailedtogold616

Gamma ray is a pretty good band i have the album "Land of the Free II". And i also have to say the album art is cool.
----
As if they were tearing through my flesh, it was embedded in my mind
That Jesus died for me... How foolish can they be
20.12.2009 - 15:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well indeed weird it dont exist

I have only one album ''No World Order''
I dont like this band and album,. I try to listen other but it dont works for me, it I dont know sometimes I like some pop bands more how this, I dont know why is this but this band dont works for me, maybe if I will get and hear first 2 albums I might like those, but still same like Helloween(whit out first ) it dont works for me
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.12.2009 - 20:00
Lord_Regnier

I really dislike the cover. That guitarist and the drummer in the background destroy any concept the cover could have otherwise. They feel completely out of place. If it was a live album, I think it could be right. But for a studio album it feels out of place.

And one more time: damn this album title is stupid!
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
20.12.2009 - 21:07
GT
Coffee!!
I must agree with Lord_Regnier: the drummer and guitarist doesn't fit in
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
20.12.2009 - 22:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 20.12.2009 at 20:00

I really dislike the cover. That guitarist and the drummer in the background destroy any concept the cover could have otherwise. They feel completely out of place. If it was a live album, I think it could be right. But for a studio album it feels out of place.

And one more time: damn this album title is stupid!

Agreed on everything! It would be an awesome cover for a live album. Or if the guitarist and drummer were removed, and additional things added to replace them with, it could have still been an awesome cover. As it is, it looks a bit cheesy, which is a shame, as the artwork in general is very kewl.

I have stressed a few times that the album title is stupid! I think with something like 'Deadlands' as the title, and the cover artwork modified, it would have seemed far more like a regular Gamma Ray studio release. The cover as it is, and the title would have suited a live album far more.
20.12.2009 - 23:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hey, i am very confident with this cover art
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.12.2009 - 23:16
Baz Anderson

Gamma Ray were one of my top top top bands. Absolutely loved them.

I wasn't such a fan of "Majestic" and then "Land Of The Free II" was good, but still not great.
When they played "To The Metal" at Wacken this year it sounded exactly like Judas Priest's "Metal Gods"... really was no impressed and so unfortunately I really have no hopes for this next album. And that is a shame.
22.12.2009 - 11:46
GT
Coffee!!
Totally missed the name: it's not the best, I can only agree. I heard the song "To The Metal" at Wacken and quite liked it actually. It's nothing new or ground breaking, but it's a nice tune
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
24.01.2010 - 15:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I'm listening to the new album now!

Im currently on the 5th song, and so far it is exceeding my expectations. The material seems far stronger than the vast majority of LOTF II. I am pleased to say the live version of ''To The Metal'' that I'd heard before was not an indication of the album as a whole. (Though I still think it's a crappy title! haha) I was feeling really lousy this morning, but I now feel a little better. Gamma Ray are back!
24.01.2010 - 15:53
Lord_Regnier

Quote:
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.01.2010 at 15:05

The material seems far stronger than the vast majority of LOTF II.

Personnally, I like LOTF II. If it's better than LOTF II, it's a good sign, imo.
I'm not into PM at all nowadays but I might give it a check nevertheless (not entirely sure).

I am pleased to say the live version of ''To The Metal'' that I'd heard before was not an indication of the album as a whole.

I sincerely hope it wasn't representative of the album, indeed, because it's a shit song.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
24.01.2010 - 17:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.01.2010 at 15:53
Personnally, I like LOTF II. If it's better than LOTF II, it's a good sign, imo.
I'm not into PM at all nowadays but I might give it a check nevertheless (not entirely sure).

I like it too, I just think it was a weak album for them. And there was a few moments that sounded very similar to other songs.

I sincerely hope it wasn't representative of the album, indeed, because it's a shit song.

To be honest, the studio version of the song is better than the previous live version led me to believe, but it's definitely not one of the album's stronger tracks. Ive now listened to it in full, and its definitely a good album. Its no "Land Of The Free" or "Somewhere Out In Space" to be sure, but it is better than the previous album, and there is a few stonking tracks on it. Especially the faceripping ''Deadlands''!

The album also has two different covers. Here's the one for the CD+DVD:

And the cover for the red vinyl:

The artwork is really great! m/
25.01.2010 - 05:46
Ag Fox
Angel No More
All three cover art looks good, especially the CD+DVD one. I'll get round to check this band out when To The Metal comes out. Super lame title though...
----
loves 小巫
26.01.2010 - 06:28
Valdyr Nordvindr
Account deleted
The CD+DVD cover is by far my favorite of the three. Although I'll just be re-iterating what others have said, I think the album title is stupid, but whatever, it's Gamma Ray, I still love their music.
26.01.2010 - 18:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Hehee!

It seems almost everybody thinks the title is stupid. (Including me! )

The main thing is the music, which overall is very good. But I feel they could have chosen a title more representative of the album.
26.01.2010 - 19:36
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I think this band is just a second "scorpions" correct me if i'm wrong...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.01.2010 - 20:22
Inlé

The first of the three covers posted is my favourite. Other two are a bit too Kitsch IMO. Still need to try this album.
26.01.2010 - 20:23
Valdyr Nordvindr
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.01.2010 at 18:57

Hehee!

It seems almost everybody thinks the title is stupid. (Including me! )

The main thing is the music, which overall is very good. But I feel they could have chosen a title more representative of the album.

I'm loving the song Empathy after a few spins
26.01.2010 - 20:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Those covers may be "cheesy", but i like them all very much
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.01.2010 - 20:31
Valdyr Nordvindr
Account deleted
I'm ok with the first one, love the second, dislike the third. It varies depending on taste of course, but for me they're all over-the-top and self-aware/fun, but while the second does it well, the other two just come off as trying too hard. Like the title =P

Oh well, still greatly enjoyed the music
26.01.2010 - 23:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 26.01.2010 at 20:23

Yep, I didn't like that one hugely at first, but after about 3 plays, I love it! It stands out to me too, because it's different sonically to the rest of the album. It sounds a lot darker. Definitely one of the album's best songs!

Written by Guest on 26.01.2010 at 20:31

I'm ok with the first one, love the second, dislike the third. It varies depending on taste of course, but for me they're all over-the-top and self-aware/fun, but while the second does it well, the other two just come off as trying too hard. Like the title =P

The second song is ''Deadlands"...I think the intro riff to that sounds a bit like ''Sole Survivor'' by Helloween. But yeah, that is an awesome song. I like how it mixes aggression with the melody, and I love the solo in it as well.

The title track is an okay song, nothing more. Definitely one of the weaker songs, if not THE weakest. Lol
27.01.2010 - 19:12
Valdyr Nordvindr
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.01.2010 at 23:19

Written by Guest on 26.01.2010 at 20:23

Yep, I didn't like that one hugely at first, but after about 3 plays, I love it! It stands out to me too, because it's different sonically to the rest of the album. It sounds a lot darker. Definitely one of the album's best songs!

Written by Guest on 26.01.2010 at 20:31

The second song is ''Deadlands"...I think the intro riff to that sounds a bit like ''Sole Survivor'' by Helloween. But yeah, that is an awesome song. I like how it mixes aggression with the melody, and I love the solo in it as well.

The title track is an okay song, nothing more. Definitely one of the weaker songs, if not THE weakest. Lol

It looks like I was too vague, lol. When I was saying "second, third" etc., I was talking about the album covers XD

I do agree that the title track is weak though XP
27.01.2010 - 21:10
Fitness2k

Has anyone heard the entire album yet?
----
Whiskey woman don't you know that you are drivin' me insane!
28.01.2010 - 08:46
Valdyr Nordvindr
Account deleted
Written by Fitness2k on 27.01.2010 at 21:10

Has anyone heard the entire album yet?

I have. Overall enjoyed it, my favorite album since No World Order. Definitely an improvement over Land of the Free II.
28.01.2010 - 17:50
Death Knight

I havent heard any of Gamma Rays work since No World Order, no real reason as to why just havnt seen there other albums in stores. However after reading through this topic im kicking myself that im in no location able to find a copy and enjoy this new album.
28.01.2010 - 20:46
Fitness2k

I agree, he don't have to take the videos off youtube. I want to listen to it and get the feel of it before i buy the record! I've heard the entire album and i think some of the songs are awesome. Some songs are just ok, like the sound of te record. So i cant wait to get my hands on a copy this weekend!
----
Whiskey woman don't you know that you are drivin' me insane!
28.01.2010 - 23:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 27.01.2010 at 19:12
It looks like I was too vague, lol. When I was saying "second, third" etc., I was talking about the album covers XD

I do agree that the title track is weak though XP

Ooops! haha

Yep, you were a little vague...I thought you meant the songs of course.

The feeling that the title track is weak seems to be almost universal, at least everyone Ive heard talking about the song says that! lol

Oh, and it wasn't Kai who got the tracks from youtube removed, it was a member from the Gamma Ray forums who alerted youtube about the videos.
31.01.2010 - 22:23
Lawre

The new album sure is great. I've listened to it about 15 times, and the songs just keep growing on me. The best tracks are Rise, Deadlands, Empathy and Time To Live, with Deadlands possibly being the best song they've ever made
01.02.2010 - 08:19
Valdyr Nordvindr
Account deleted
Written by Lawre on 31.01.2010 at 22:23

The new album sure is great. I've listened to it about 15 times, and the songs just keep growing on me. The best tracks are Rise, Deadlands, Empathy and Time To Live, with Deadlands possibly being the best song they've ever made

I agree, Deadlands is pretty awesome
01.02.2010 - 15:58
Ag Fox
Angel No More
For the new album "To The Metal", only "Shine Forever" and "Chasing Shadows" are better. "No Need to Cry" is pretty awful imo
----
loves 小巫