12. Bottled
13. Discover Me Like Emptiness [Digipak bonus]

Disc II [Ozzfest special edition bonus DVD]
01. The Quiet Place [video]
02. Touch Of Red [video]
03. Watch Them Feed [Live in wacken open air 2003]
04. Only For The Weak [Live in wacken open air 2003]
+ The Making Of "Soundtrack To Your Escape" [feat. producer Daniel Bergstrand]

After the surprise of "Reroute to Remain", In Flames show that they want to solidify their new musical approach. The intention of creating a modern and refreshing new sound is transmitted perfectly in this album. The alternative influences from Industrial Metal are clearer and the reality of the sound and style is also more perceptible.

In "F(r)iend" the album opens with an annoying electronic voice, but what comes right after is a great explosion of Melodic Death Metal, in a song that could well have been in other previous albums. The first single, "The Quiet Place" is possibly the track that better reflects the alternative influences on this album. The songs develops in a paranoiac style like in lots of Industrial songs, and its well worked melodically. "Dead Alone" has a melancholic chorus and its full of electronic details. "Touch of Red" follows the logic of "F(r)iend", but with a more melodic and pleasant chorus and also a little solo. With great riffs, some samples and a catchy chorus, "Like You Better Dead" is one of my favorite tracks. "My Sweet Shadow" and "Evil in a Closet" are the calmest, more melodic and electronic influenced tracks, following in some ways the logic of "Metaphor" and "Dawn of A New Day" from "Reroute to Remain", but without getting as boring as those songs. "In Search for I" gets back to the frenetic and faster style and is good technically, having a short solo. The distant voice of Fridén in the beginning of "Borders and Shading" precede a great chorus and another solo. "Superhero of the Computer Rage" is again good Melodic Death Metal, with enraged riffs and vocals. "Dial 595-Escape" has some Industrial style riffs and is one of the catchiest songs in the album and has the best solo, even if still short. Anyway the solos stopped being the most important. "Bottled" is a good final track, being very melodic.

After hearing "Soundtrack to Your Escape" we are sure that we are before something original, complex (even if not with the high technical level as before, its diferent) and fascinatingly alternative and extreme at the same time. More consistent then "Reroute To Remain", it is the perfect answer after an album with poor moments, that looks now more like a first essay for what was coming. Do not lament the good moments of the past or compare it to the present even if you liked it more, open your minds to the future and accept a well conducted progress with this new In Flames.

Written by Passenger | 16.03.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Spyroid
Rating:
If you just see my rating and believe that I am some kind of strange trend follower or metal kid I would like to tell you that my relation to and opinion of this album is completely healthy. As it should be, by no means objective - my opinion is totally based upon when I first heard it at the age of 13. As such a young and untainted kid, I more or less only listened to NWOBHM bands, but I also liked to listen to a Swedish radio show that played rock and metal music. One evening they happened to have an In Flames special with interviews, and most of Soundtrack To Your Escape - their latest release - was played. I was completely stunned - I had never before liked any music with growl/shrieks but this was amazing! I could not believe that you could blend melody with extreme elements in such an awesome way. The day after I went to a store and used my savings to buy it, and I listened to it way too much.

Read more ››
published 23.10.2008 | Comments (14)

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 132 users
29.07.2006 - 16:31
Rating: 8
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I agree with your rating, good review and good comment on the end. This was the album that got me into metal with "growls" (not normal vocals), a really good one (and extremely nostalgic). Best songs: Superhero of the Computer Rage, Borders and Shading, The Quiet Place, Evil Closet and Dead Alone.
30.07.2006 - 02:53
Rating: 3
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think this was their "Risk" or "St. Anger."
14.12.2006 - 17:47
Shadow Of A Man
Account deleted
This album was alright... nothing in comparison to any of their other realeses but still great... I would give it more of a 7 though
09.01.2007 - 17:07
Rating: 10
matthioso
The best album they've released. I just love it.
----
www.seedofrock.be
08.03.2007 - 11:06
Danny Thomas
Written by Dangerboner on 30.07.2006 at 02:53

I think this was their "Risk" or "St. Anger."

well i sorta thought that at first, but i actually do like this album. i personally would reserve your comments for come clarity, which imo was uninspired , and whos lyrics resembled something from an emo album.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
08.03.2007 - 11:49
Eight
Shapeshifter
I personally do not like too much of this album, but it is not their best, as matthioso said, defenetely.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
05.07.2007 - 22:11
BlankFile
Repetitive, few good songs, uninteresting... Man what happened to In Flames?
Very disapoointing!
Thumbs down to this one...
01.01.2008 - 02:38
09. Borders And Shading - lol so they're taking inspiration from MS Word now?
22.04.2008 - 04:03
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
this album is kinda cool... faster, i dont care about the eletronic effects, it has a soul now, different from their earliest work, but still original and with good quality... just miss the killer solos but anyway, its the path they choose, and i still enjoy their sound.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
10.07.2008 - 19:59
*Wratchild*
Account deleted
This is my favourite album, great sound and great songs!!!
16.08.2008 - 15:54
Elio
Red Nightmare
of their new works (or nu works) I enjoy this the most...it's not a 8.5 though but a 7 at max.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
17.05.2009 - 11:19
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Agree with elio here. the best of their last works... for me it gets about 8...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.09.2009 - 13:06
Death Pickle
I prefer older In Flames, but i respect the bands direction in contantly changing and evolving their style. If they had still kept their older style today, i would have lost interest in the band. Good review.
14.06.2011 - 17:49
gnskater
Best Album Theve created. but We Butter the Bread With Butter Is A better band
----
WhiteChapel and The Black Dahlia Murder

Hits total: 7475 | This month: 10