05. Trapped Under Ice
06. Escape
07. Creeping Death
08. The Call Of Ktulu

Top 20 albums of 1984: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 6

Additional info
Produced by Metallica.
Assisted by Flemming Rasmussen and Mark Whitaker.
Engineered by Flemming Rasmussen.
Recorded and mixed at Sweet Silence Studios, Copenhagen, Denmark, during spring 1984.
Mastered at Masterdisk by Bob Ludwig.

Cover concept: Metallica
Cover design: AD Artists

Guest review by
Iced Iñigo
Rating:
With this album Metallica confirm their total control on Thrash Metal and their consolidation like an international band. In this album the band members were fully adapted to each other and make a more mature and considerably better musical album. The lyrics of this album are also better than in the last one, they do not speak now about headbanging, blood, and those things, in "Ride The Lightning" they speak about personal problems like in 'Fade To Black' . Other tracks are inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and the movie 'The Ten Commandments' like 'Creeping Death'.

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (48)

Guest review by
ponderer
Rating:
1984. Talk about a band and an album being so far ahead of their time that they would be hallmarks in the history of metal...

Ride the Lightning was nothing less than a nuclear bomb dropped in American metal laps. We'd heard Judas Priest and Sabbath, but nothing could have prepared anyone for what was coming full force out of San Francisco in '84. Since Kill 'em All had limited success in the underground, most people still hadn't heard of the Bay area thrashers who were busy forging a new metal scene stateside. With the launch of Ride the Lightning and heavy touring, Metallica were set to take stage as one of the more brutal premier metal acts.

Read more ››
published 06.07.2008 | Comments (37)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Metallica's second effort, called Ride The Lightning, was released in 1984. The American band verged it in an international scale, projecting that the real brutality is not merely limited through fast tempos, and other musical procedures can be tested.

Ride The Lightning widely presents musical and lyrical progress, with more mature songs than Kill 'Em All. Metallica consciously developed more political and social lyrics; the songs are not about metal music itself, demonic contents or violence anymore. Solos are better-shaped and riffs are impeccable, and most importantly bass lines won't leave any space for critics.

Read more ››
published 06.06.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 230 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 121   Visited by: 3715 users
08.12.2014 - 08:38
Rating: 10
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 11.10.2012 at 04:35

Almost perfect album... Escape is the only weak track here.

I just pretend it never existed
08.12.2014 - 17:24
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 08.12.2014 at 08:38

You fucking kidding? The ending seriously doesn't do anything for you?

"Life's for my own to live my own way."

Truthfully, the one track I'd label as weak is Trapped Under Ice. Even if the only memorable part of Escape is the end, it's still better than Trapped Under Ice. Nothing at all memorable about that song.
08.12.2014 - 17:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 08.12.2014 at 17:24

Truthfully, the one track I'd label as weak is Trapped Under Ice. Even if the only memorable part of Escape is the end, it's still better than Trapped Under Ice. Nothing at all memorable about that song.

I have never understood the hatred Escape's been getting. I thought it was a great track when I first got RtL in 1984 and still think it is a great track nowadays. Indeed Trapped Under Ice I have Always regarded as the weakest track of the album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2014 - 18:54
LordHypnos
Account deleted

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2014 at 17:27

I have never understood the harted Escape's been getting. I thought it was a great track when I first got RtL in 1984 and still think it is a great track nowadays. Indeed Trapped Under Ice I have Always regarded as the weakest track of the album.

I don't hate Escape, that song is just weak and uninteresting, just a filler. And the ending isn't really memorable. James sings like he's tired of it.

I like all the energy and aggression of Trapped Under Ice, especially the speed metal riffing. It makes me feel more alive.
09.12.2014 - 04:24
Rating: 9
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I'm the same as Marcel - I've always thought "Trapped Under Ice" was the weakest song on the album. And in relation to the lyrics - I always thought it was an improbable scenario, and even more so now, what with global warming.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
09.12.2014 - 05:11
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.12.2014 at 17:27

I have never understood the hatred Escape's been getting. I thought it was a great track when I first got RtL in 1984 and still think it is a great track nowadays.

Personally, the cheesy chorus does it for me. I can't stand it. The rest of the song is great, but that one section put me off so much. It just doesn't fit with the vibe of the album imo.
18.12.2014 - 18:07
Rating: 8
Toxik

For some reason always liked that chorus
14.01.2015 - 08:00
Maco
Pvt Funderground
6 years ago. When I didn't know that blackened post-hardcore existed, decided to listen this album in its entirety. I was totally amazed, and since that moment my search for extreme music started. Every song was totally brilliant and memorable. I still think that nowadays.

I don't care how many albums I will listen in the future. There will always be a time for this masterpiece.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
31.01.2015 - 09:12
Rating: 7
Ruchesko

Fade To Black aside, I prefer Kill 'Em All.
28.01.2016 - 22:52
Taake3

Same here. Escapes honestly my favorite track on the album lmao
29.07.2016 - 17:11
Joppe
Steelemeister
An another strong album. The debut wins this slightly, though I cannot say this one is worse an album in rating, because these songs are mostly classic thrash material. It's the speed, rawness and straightforwardness that make the debut my favorite Metallica album.

I WOULDN'T recommend this album to pussies either (same for the debut), but I'm sure that this album works better for that than the debut.
----
My vision is augmented
02.01.2017 - 04:29
ElmerCojones
Account deleted
Greatest metal album of all time!
31.12.2017 - 01:33
Albert_Wesker_19
Account deleted
Best Metallica album ever, period!
21.10.2018 - 23:48
Angelic Man
Account deleted
The song I respect the most is Trapped Under Ice. Other than that, this album is stupid, especially the anti-semitic Creeping D and Fade to Black, a song that could promote murder or suicide.
22.10.2018 - 10:18
JoHn Doe

Written by Guest on 21.10.2018 at 23:48

The song I respect the most is Trapped Under Ice. Other than that, this album is stupid, especially the anti-semitic Creeping D and Fade to Black, a song that could promote murder or suicide.

what is anti-semitic about Creeping Death? it's a retelling of a bible story.
As to what you say about Fade to Black it's ridiculous. It's a song about depression. It does not promote anything.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
22.10.2018 - 14:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by JoHn Doe on 22.10.2018 at 10:18

As to what you say about Fade to Black it's ridiculous. It's a song about depression. It does not promote anything.

I was just about to say the exact same thing.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2018 - 03:40
Angelic Man
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.10.2018 at 14:04

Creeping D sings "Hebrews born to serve." That is bad. Metallica practically masturbates to attacks on religion.
And Fade to Black could very well make somebody go insane. I don't trust those songs.
23.10.2018 - 12:39
JoHn Doe

Written by Guest on 23.10.2018 at 03:40

Creeping D sings "Hebrews born to serve." That is bad. Metallica practically masturbates to attacks on religion.
And Fade to Black could very well make somebody go insane. I don't trust those songs.

It was my mistake to try and open a conversation with you. It seems to me you are just a troll, you have not joined the forum with the best intentions (to put it gently). Or is it possible that your reading comprehension is so low, the meaning of the songs you bash in the Metallica albums you posted on, is just lost on you.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
23.10.2018 - 21:37
Angelic Man
Account deleted
Written by JoHn Doe on 23.10.2018 at 12:39

It was my mistake to try and open a conversation with you. It seems to me you are just a troll, you have not joined the forum with the best intentions (to put it gently). Or is it possible that your reading comprehension is so low, the meaning of the songs you bash in the Metallica albums you posted on, is just lost on you.

I have good intentions. Metallica may very well have bad intentions. They love when people go insane and sacrifice children in the name of Satan. As a matter of fact, that is their fetish.
23.10.2018 - 21:44
JoHn Doe

Written by Guest on 23.10.2018 at 21:37

I have good intentions. Metallica may very well have bad intentions. They love when people go insane and sacrifice children in the name of Satan. As a matter of fact, that is their fetish.

again, I do not know if you are serious or just trolling. I hope you're a troll because otherwise you look like an ignorant religious fanatic.
----
23.10.2018 - 21:48
Angelic Man
Account deleted
Written by JoHn Doe on 23.10.2018 at 21:44

again, I do not know if you are serious or just trolling. I hope you're a troll because otherwise you look like an ignorant religious fanatic.

I am not ignorant. This is the truth.
23.10.2018 - 21:50
JoHn Doe

Written by Guest on 23.10.2018 at 21:48

----
23.10.2018 - 21:56
Angelic Man
Account deleted
Written by JoHn Doe on 23.10.2018 at 21:50

Written by Guest on 23.10.2018 at 21:48

I like a good comedy as much as you do, but eternal damnation is no laughing matter.
24.10.2018 - 00:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
STOP THE FUCKING QUOTE TRAIN
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2018 - 00:12
JoHn Doe

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.10.2018 at 00:06

you gotta witness the whole train wreck.
----
24.10.2018 - 01:24
Angelic Man
Account deleted

Watch your language. Swearing is bad.
24.10.2018 - 13:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 24.10.2018 at 01:24

Swearing is bad.

Swearing is rabbi where you engaged in healings, taught in parables, and achieve Om Shanti. Don't you dare to tag "swearing" in negative form.
24.10.2018 - 14:31
tominator
At best deranged
This is just too amusing
25.10.2018 - 00:42
Angelic Man
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 24.10.2018 at 13:21

Written by Guest on 24.10.2018 at 01:24

Swearing is bad.

Swearing is rabbi where you engaged in healings, taught in parables, and achieve Om Shanti. Don't you dare to tag "swearing" in negative form.

The Rabbi hates swearing. It offends them, but moreso, it offends God and Jesus. After all, I am not Jewish. I am Catholic.
02.01.2019 - 22:40
Rating: 9
Maasai Mara

Truly comedic that this is what Metallica was once capable of.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.

Hits total: 97214 | This month: 216