4 - Sons Of Winter And Stars
03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 96 lists
Top lists

Comments page 13 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3626 users
14.10.2012 - 16:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.10.2012 at 16:29

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2012 at 16:28
Btw not only MetalHOe should read that, but also Milena

Just scratch that and put "everyone"...

true
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2012 - 16:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2012 at 16:31

Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.10.2012 at 16:29
Just scratch that and put "everyone"...
true

The funny thing is that we just entered a loop since we consider ourselves superior because we know what the word elitism means and why MetalHOE isn't using it right by saying I'm elitist...

Okay, that was the last offtopic post by me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.10.2012 - 16:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.10.2012 at 16:33

The funny thing is that we just entered a loop since we consider ourselves superior because we know what the word elitism means and why MetalHOE isn't using it right by saying I'm elitist...

Okay, that was the last offtopic post by me.

my last off-topic post here as well. But many times I do even consider myself an elitist, and tbh I am not ashamed of it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2012 - 16:38
Zap
Written by Guest on 14.10.2012 at 15:59

...? You can enjoy a band very much, call it your favourite and still be objective enough to find it average and not very interesting in relation to all the bands and genres in the world of music.

Calling some band boring based on your enjoyment is subjective. Calling some band boring based on what new/different it delivers is objective. The same goes with unique/average.

Ok
14.10.2012 - 16:43
Rating: 7
R'Vannith
ghedengi
This thing has leaked I see
14.10.2012 - 17:35
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I will wait to get my copy in the mail. This forum is entertainment enough to hold me over.

On another note, I wonder if Nuclear Blast will sue the illegal downloaders of the Wintersun album à la Century Media's Iced Earth and Lacuna Coil dling response.
14.10.2012 - 18:25
Rating: 9
FreddeSwede

Written by ablis1337 on 13.10.2012 at 23:40

It's better, and better with each listen. I can't wait till a 320+ rip, or till I receive the album in the mail. Sons of Winter and Stars is beyond amazing!

There's a version in 320 out now.
14.10.2012 - 19:19
Rating: 6
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 14.10.2012 at 17:35

On another note, I wonder if Nuclear Blast will sue the illegal downloaders of the Wintersun album à la Century Media's Iced Earth and Lacuna Coil dling response.

That was for sharers only.
14.10.2012 - 19:44
Until the End

14.10.2012 - 19:53
Rating: 8
PocketMetal

Written by R'Vannith on 14.10.2012 at 16:43

This thing has leaked I see

yeah I was like let me check "a few" comments before getting this
14.10.2012 - 20:05
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Guis
Guis stahp
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
14.10.2012 - 20:38
Rating: 10
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.10.2012 at 16:17

----
14.10.2012 - 21:41
Sync
Account deleted
Blimey, the pre-release arguements/'i don't care about this even though i'm posting LOL XDXDXD' is getting a little much. Anywayz...

Don't really get tracks 1 & 4, but the other three are just amazing imo.
14.10.2012 - 22:54
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Guest on 14.10.2012 at 21:41

Don't really get tracks 1 & 4

Just intro and outro...
14.10.2012 - 23:08
Sync
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 14.10.2012 at 22:54

Just intro and outro...

Yah, but it didn't really do anything for me. So I just skipped them haha.
14.10.2012 - 23:23
MetalSpider

Well after 8 years I have to say Wintersun did not disappoint with Time I. I've only listened to the album once so far and it's epic and very well done, but it didn't wow me the same way their debut did when I listened to it for the first time. But I'll have to listen to it more than once because there's so much that's going on in this album!

I had high expectations of this album, but I wasn't/am not one of those fans whose been waiting patiently and painstakingly for the last 8 years for this album to come out (although I kind of did in the beginning when the album was first announced). Having said that it's finally nice to hear new Wintersun.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
14.10.2012 - 23:35
Rating: 5
scaesura

This album is...

Well. I grew out of this music so I dont really care. It's definitely not half as good as the s/t though. It tries way too hard to be way too grandiose.
15.10.2012 - 00:25
TomDLR

An amalgam of folkloric influences serves as base to an album that diverges from any scheme; Jari Mäenpää demonstrates that he has not spawned the typical Death Metal album. Combining folk sounds, explosive percussion blasts and screams of extravagant vocal registers, 'Time I' demonstrates the ability of composition that the leader of this Finnish group possesses. With only 40 minutes long and an extension of ​​five songs, the first part of this ambitious project immerses the listener in a blazing trip whose details are beautifully constructed in order to detach from the formulas of modern Metal, Mäenpää is a musician faithful to experimentation.
Starting with the Japanese folk intro, 'When Time Fades Away', whose tempo increases to give rise to volatile epic song of 'Sons of Winter and Stars' with its catchy chorus. The album's atmospheric character brings a mysterious feeling to the volatile, like if the album in question was a snowstorm. 'Land of Snow and Sorrow' reduces the tempo of the previous joining clean vocals with an acoustic guitar. 'Darkness and Frost' serves as interlude, with a futuristic sound and electronic touches to the Scandinavian folklore that dominates this track. Closing the album, 'Time' follows the same line of sound that precedes the interlude until Mäenpää launches a bone-chilling cry that disrupts peace. Following the story of human life on Earth, the lyrics are very well accompanied by an instrumentation that exposes how elaborate and well-structured this album is. A piano gives closure to violence, diluting itself into a mysterious outro of tubular bells that (confirmed by Mäenpää himself) serves as a bridge between the two parts of 'Time'.

Those listeners who have high expectations for this album will not be disappointed, and those who did not have much hope will receive a very pleasant surprise. Wintersun has made a work of art, something that could be labeled under the nonexistent genre of "Majestic Metal". 'Time I' is a Da Vinci of its genre and it will surely be acclaimed by the Metal community.
15.10.2012 - 02:12
bodomdragon

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 14.10.2012 at 04:02

EIGHT years of fucking waiting for the bloody album. SIX years of delays and pushing dates back. And Mr. Mäenpää gives us a FIVE tracks album, out of which two are INSTRUMENTALS. I would have fucked him with a chainsaw, cut of his prick and punch his face into bloody rags. I would have, but I can't... because those three songs are some of the best fucking things I ever heard in metal music...

I just can't find a better way to express my feelings. These three songs are pure awesomeness.
15.10.2012 - 07:03
atkmetal123

Not as good as the previous one imo, but still awesome
15.10.2012 - 09:00
jesterhead57

The cover art, imo, ruins the mood. Too bright, too much going on. Looks like a bad videogame cover as someone said in another thread. I replaced it with the old cover in my music player and the mood feels better. I think I am just use to the old art haha. ^_^

The album itself (the music) is beyond expectations. Still digesting it.

15.10.2012 - 09:35
Wes

I actually like the cover art a lot. I think I somewhat disliked it at first, but it's grown on me quite a bit.
15.10.2012 - 12:08
beyondtehdarksun

Well, I refuse to listen to it till my physical album arrives at Friday. And just the day after that I'll see them play it live
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
15.10.2012 - 13:46
Svneatr
Vitharr
I ordered this album through the nuclearblast mailorder. I know it will arrive a few weeks after it's intended release date, but I vow not to listen to this album until I hold it in my own two hands.
15.10.2012 - 15:37
PocketMetal

An 8 at best , the second track is really great but the whole thing is not that special .
15.10.2012 - 16:18
Yugosaki

Magnificent album, as I was expecting, 10/10... Jari You are a God !!!
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
15.10.2012 - 17:54
IronAngel

I loved the debut when it was released. I was 15.

I may be judgmental, but to me this seems like teenager music. The kind of stuff you like in your formative years of getting into metal, perhaps. Not bad, but not to be taken altogether serious. I can't help but feel a little sorry for the people who actually waited for this 8 years and didn't refine their taste in the interim. I mean, seriously? After eight years you're still stoked about flashy, overproduced melodeath?

But hey, people like different things and there's nothing inherently juvenile about any type of music itself. It's just that after the evolution of my personal taste, feelings like that are pretty inevitable.
15.10.2012 - 18:08
Rating: 7
Uldreth

Written by IronAngel on 15.10.2012 at 17:54

I loved the debut when it was released. I was 15.

I may be judgmental, but to me this seems like teenager music. The kind of stuff you like in your formative years of getting into metal, perhaps. Not bad, but not to be taken altogether serious. I can't help but feel a little sorry for the people who actually waited for this 8 years and didn't refine their taste in the interim. I mean, seriously? After eight years you're still stoked about flashy, overproduced melodeath?

But hey, people like different things and there's nothing inherently juvenile about any type of music itself. It's just that after the evolution of my personal taste, feelings like that are pretty inevitable.

To be fair I think it is pretentious (maybe that is not the best word for this) and "wrong" to state this is "teenager music" but aside from that I agree with the fundamentals. In the process of listening but so far while I get the appeal it seems waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cheesy for me, much much more than the debut, and I 'm getting much less "rush" from it. I also adored the debut, not when it was released but about 3 or so years ago and since then my taste in music changed quite a lot. Plus I pretty much overlistened the debut, but I get the same vibe from this as I get from the debut NOW and I am not even through my first listen.

It also feels like the orchestra is completely unnecessary, and the "essence" of the music seems to just get lost in all the flashy, cheesy stuff. People can claim whatever they want about the debut but at least it had solid riffs that they themselves were cheesy, but wasn't coated in an additional 2000 km layers of cheese.

Dunno what numeric rating to assign to this, and I won't assign for a while since I am not even through the first listen completely, probably nothing bad because it is not bad really but I am definitely over this type of music.

I'm just gonna stick with the latest Neurosis

Edit: On a random thought: This seems to work the best to me when they drop the metal completely. The fucking orchestra just won't shut up and like I said it completely makes the actual music get lost in the whole, but during moments where they are going for atmosphere, it does seem to work quite well.

Edit2: Finish'd the album, opinion did not change.
15.10.2012 - 19:09
Until the End

Could have done with 1 more non-instrumental song, even if it was a short one. Also would have liked to hear more guitar noodlery. The heavy synth presence isn't a problem for me. I won't be too bothered though as long as they release the 2nd part a bit quicker than it took to release the 1st part.
15.10.2012 - 21:37
blindg

8 years for just 3 songs embedded with intros and outros, 1 of which is even almost a ballad? I am very disappointed.

Hits total: 164219 | This month: 280