03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012
Top 20 albums of 2012: 20

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 97 lists
Top lists

Comments page 17 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3631 users
20.10.2012 - 03:50
Death_95
'Land Of Snow And Sorrow' is one of the best songs I've ever heard! The album is a masterpiece.
20.10.2012 - 04:27
basquetal
For people who are saying that this only has 3 musics, remember that this is only the first part of the album, yet lack the Time II.
20.10.2012 - 06:18
Rating: 7
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by Guest on 20.10.2012 at 00:23

Written by Death_95 on 20.10.2012 at 00:19

This might be a stupid question but I never really got what people mean by the 'overproduced' term? What does it mean?

It means nothing. Things are produced differently. There's no standard. There's no constant. It can't be over or under.

People might use it when they don't know how to describe something.

'There's too much of something I can't describe!'

Though there may be no standard in production values saying something is "over" or "under" -produced is perfectly valid. This album is a prime example of overproduction, which is inevitable really considering their notability and the amount of time they spent on this album.
The overproduction really inhibits the music for me, while I really find the band's style nothing exceptionally enjoyable in the first place (their debut was pretty good) the songwriting feels bloated. At moments it sounds like having two film soundtracks playing at the same time as a metal album.

It's not a matter of having "too much of something I can't describe!" It's just a matter of having too much, whether you can describe it or not is irrelevant.
And it is amazing really considering how simplistic this band's style is how they manage to make it sound as top heavy as it is.

What really amazes me though is how so many seem to lap this up.. their sound really doesn't grab me in any special way, I guess I'm just ignorant of their magnificence.
20.10.2012 - 08:49
Rating: 8
Death
Written by R'Vannith on 20.10.2012 at 06:18

The overproduction really inhibits the music for me, while I really find the band's style nothing exceptionally enjoyable in the first place (their debut was pretty good) the songwriting feels bloated.

Overproduction inhibits the music? The music here IS the "overproduced", "bloated" version (as you describe Time I).

Take these, we would be listening to a non-orchestrated demo.
20.10.2012 - 11:33
Rating: 7
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by Death on 20.10.2012 at 08:49

Written by R'Vannith on 20.10.2012 at 06:18

The overproduction really inhibits the music for me, while I really find the band's style nothing exceptionally enjoyable in the first place (their debut was pretty good) the songwriting feels bloated.

Overproduction inhibits the music? The music here IS the "overproduced", "bloated" version (as you describe Time I).

Take these, we would be listening to a non-orchestrated demo.

I'm not sure of your point, you just seem to restate my own opinion. I said that this album sounds overproduced and bloated, which inhibits the music. That's how I describe the music, the overproduced and bloated nature of it is inherent.

If this were not overproduced I would likely have a more positive opinion, a great deal of this sounds completely unnecessary and over-the-top for it's musical basis, which is a fairly standard but well performed melodic death/extreme power (however you would like to define it).

To put it simply it's glossing over (i.e. vamping up the production job by stuffing it to the brim with orchestral/symphonic elements) something which really isn't all that spectacular, a plodding and simplistic melodic metal line. Granted it is certainly catchy at points, but these points are really lost in a sea of unnecessary layers. All the added elements simply stretches out a melodic metal style that makes it overbearingly tedious for me to listen to for the most part.
20.10.2012 - 11:49
Rating: 5
Dave FC
The three songs of the album are very good but the sound of the drums, specially the snare and the hi-hat?????, is awful; and orchestrations are horribly mixed, imo. Too 'noisy' for me. Too high.
Their first album is faaaaaaar better.
20.10.2012 - 12:05
Suisaidfet
Maybe its more like Symphonic Extreme Metal.. Anyway i love this album so much.. Everything is awesome.. except the mixing and the short length.. I think it will be perfection if they remixing and adds more song into this album.. cant wait for Time II
20.10.2012 - 12:27
Zap
Written by basquetal on 20.10.2012 at 04:27

For people who are saying that this only has 3 musics, remember that this is only the first part of the album, yet lack the Time II.

Everyone knows that. The problem is that we're paying for a full album. So as has been mentioned before on this thread, I will also buy it when both parts are released in one volume.
20.10.2012 - 14:00
Ruin
Account deleted
This is nothing compared to their first album.Nothing.
They should have waited one more year and release a full length Time.
20.10.2012 - 15:51
Erik M.
Written by basquetal on 20.10.2012 at 04:27

Which is exactly why I'm not going to buy this album until there's a 2CD-pack of Time I & II.
20.10.2012 - 16:10
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Did anybody notice that this album has fewer blast beats in comparison to the debut?
20.10.2012 - 16:30
Rhaz
I was prepared to be greatly disappointed, but gotta admit I really liked it and I'm excited to see them live for the first time in 2 weeks !
however, I would have preferred a full release even though SoWaS and Time are decently long tracks
20.10.2012 - 17:13
moe5512
Written by Guest on 20.10.2012 at 16:10

Did anybody notice that this album has fewer blast beats in comparison to the debut?

Jari said in an interview some years ago something like this: "Last album was maybe 60% fast-40% slow. TIme will be 60% slow and 40% fast"
20.10.2012 - 17:19
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Written by moe5512 on 20.10.2012 at 17:13

Written by Guest on 20.10.2012 at 16:10

Jari said in an interview some years ago something like this: "Last album was maybe 60% fast-40% slow. TIme will be 60% slow and 40% fast"

Oh, I see.
20.10.2012 - 18:09
Rating: 6
Vasil de Shumen
40% Blind Guardian + 40% Rhapsody + 20% symphonic metal standards = BOREDOM
20.10.2012 - 18:54
Dinruth
I don't understand that so many people claim that there are only three songs .. why? just because the other two are instrumental? do none of you appreciate classical or baroque music? almost everything from that epoque is instrumental..
20.10.2012 - 19:14
Rating: 10
Sojgenske
Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" album lasts also for only 40 minutes, contains only 1 song in which several parts are repeated 2 or 3 times and nobody seemed to complain so much about it

"Time I" is definitely the best release of 2012 for me ! Thank you Jari
20.10.2012 - 20:09
Dave FC
Written by Dinruth on 20.10.2012 at 18:54

I don't understand that so many people claim that there are only three songs .. why? just because the other two are instrumental? do none of you appreciate classical or baroque music? almost everything from that epoque is instrumental..

Well, the first song is an average/poor typical intro and Darkness and Frost is... just for fill another 2 minutes. Two boring minutes. Reminds me a lot to Angtoria's The Awakening. And of course, this is nothing classical or baroque
And truly, the first song could easyly be part of SoWaS (I think that really it is); and the fourth part of Time. Soooooo three songs!

Written by Sojgenske on 20.10.2012 at 19:14

Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" album lasts also for only 40 minutes, contains only 1 song in which several parts are repeated 2 or 3 times and nobody seemed to complain so much about it

"Time I" is definitely the best release of 2012 for me ! Thank you Jari .

Crimson is much more elaborated music than this. And where could we find a song that is not repeated at least two, three or four times? 98% of the songs are built this way. intro, verse, bridge, chorus, verse, chorus.... bla bla. Mix it thosand ways and you build a song
20.10.2012 - 20:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Now it made its way to top albums all time...my gosh...where this ends?

anxiously waiting for the staff review
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.10.2012 - 20:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Sojgenske on 20.10.2012 at 19:14

"Time I" is definitely the best release of 2012 for me ! Thank you Jari

Yes but Crimson I is an unmitigated masterpiece, whereas this is mush and fluff at best
20.10.2012 - 21:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Array is defending this as if it was his mother who made it
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.10.2012 - 21:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Incindentally any album can be under or overproduced. Both are valid terms that carry well-recognised connotations. There are indeed standards and constants in each field of music.
20.10.2012 - 21:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's not really a case of that though. I don't understand why suddenly two very descriptive and relatively specific terms have suddenly lost all their value.
20.10.2012 - 21:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 20.10.2012 at 21:42

It's not really a case of that though. I don't understand why suddenly two very descriptive and relatively specific terms have suddenly lost all their value.

Because it's an album he "loves" that your bashing, if it were anywhere else it would still be a valid way of describing sound.

Also, I still need to hear this.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.10.2012 - 21:46
CyberSymphony
Ollie
The intro into Songs of Winters and Stars was hugely promising, but the rest of the album then became little disappointing. AND only 40 minutes long. For now I am rating it 8/10.
20.10.2012 - 21:48
Rating: 10
The only people who complains about this album are just jealous fanboys who are pissed that their favorite band isn't ranked first in charts!
20.10.2012 - 21:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ahmed Mohamed A on 20.10.2012 at 21:48

The only people who complains about this album are just jealous fanboys who are pissed that their favorite band isn't ranked first in charts!

^Pure logic right there. Makes perfect sense.
20.10.2012 - 21:49
@gent_-_orange
really?
20.10.2012 - 21:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Logic.

I can't find it here. Whether it comes from reasons to why people don't like it or some weird explanation about a "meaningless" word that is actually perfectly valid to say when it comes to describing music. Language revisionism is a funny thing

Oh well... I'll search for logic in another thread.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.10.2012 - 23:38
Zap
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.10.2012 at 21:45

Also, I still need to hear this.

You'll hate it, but you probably already knew that

Hits total: 164389 | This month: 155