03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012
Top 20 albums of 2012: 20

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 97 lists
Top lists

Comments page 19 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3631 users
23.10.2012 - 00:27
Rating: 8
PocketMetal

I hate it when people call intros and instrumentals non-songs . "hate"
23.10.2012 - 01:56
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm giving it a 1, just for the hell of it.
23.10.2012 - 02:02
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Ellrohir on 22.10.2012 at 15:39

you must look better, bro

tbh i cant think up any other example of so much over-hyped nothing as this album...i would rate it 6 for objective qualities and then half this number for all the bullshit around...but i only rate albums i have physical copies of them, which is not this case and wont be unless someone gives it to me for free...so you wont see my "3" here

Yeah man, I cannot remember an album as anticipated as this one. I mostly only see that kind of enthusiasm for over hyped albums for rap albums hahaha.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
23.10.2012 - 02:07
Rating: 6
In5anity

Gave it a 6 and I'm kind of sad about it. When the first album was released I totally freaked out about it and for a long time, it was my absolutely favourite album. I didn't expect this one to be something similar to me, just because my taste for music really changed these 8 years (yet Wilderuns "Olden Tales & Deathly Trails" proved to me, that also a genre I didn't listen to anymore could still amaze me). On Time 1 are some wonderful parts, that I really liked. The last 4 minutes of Sons Of Winter And Stars are fantastic and show what Wintersun are capable of. But unfortunately there are so many other parts that just flow by with some expectable orchestration and a total lack of surprises. So what do have here? An album with 33 minutes and 38 seconds of music (!) plus intro and intermission with some great ideas and unfortunately much more parts that bored me to death. I would have loved to like the album more, but I just don't.
23.10.2012 - 02:59
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I've listened to it a few times now. My initial opinion was "Wow this is really good", then it was all over after half an hour? I felt like there was barely any vocals or guitar solos. The music is definitely too thick, to the point where you can't tell song from song. It's a good album, and i give it a generous 8. If they have of put in another full length song with more vocal and solos, i would have probably given it a 9.
23.10.2012 - 14:52
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I gave it a six, but I feel It should be lower. This feels like it was rushed, and is unfinished which is totally BS. It got boring after awhile too.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.10.2012 - 15:34
Rating: 10
Prometheus

Written by Alex F on 22.10.2012 at 17:49

Ah good, this is off the top 200 charts now.
STFU !!! This album is absolutely amazing!
23.10.2012 - 15:35
Prometheus

Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 01:56

You Totally Killed The Rating.
Go Fuck Yourself,Asshole.
23.10.2012 - 20:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Prometheus on 23.10.2012 at 15:35

Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 01:56

Calm down. His rating (which he got rid of) doesn't effect the grand sceme of things here.

Besides, everyone's entitled to thier own opinion. Just like how I think this sounds like it was made in 2 weeks.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.10.2012 - 21:40
Rating: 6
Druss

Written by Prometheus on 23.10.2012 at 15:35

Better froth at the keyboard some more....?
23.10.2012 - 21:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ok, I thought he was joking but looking at his other comments I guess not.
23.10.2012 - 23:58
Milena
gloom cookie
Upped it to 9 when I heard the bonus DVD with the live rehearsal - the drums and bass are less buried there, and the synth feels more like backup and less overpowering when you can see what they're doing.

Guess I really turned into a fangirl with this album. Well, at least I admit it.
----
7.0 means the album is good
24.10.2012 - 00:06
Wes

Written by Milena on 23.10.2012 at 23:58

Upped it to 9 when I heard the bonus DVD with the live rehearsal - the drums and bass are less buried there, and the synth feels more like backup and less overpowering when you can see what they're doing.

Guess I really turned into a fangirl with this album. Well, at least I admit it.

woot! haha, I actually like the album more after seeing the DVD too, some really cool stuff going on in these songs.
24.10.2012 - 00:18
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Wes on 24.10.2012 at 00:06

woot! haha, I actually like the album more after seeing the DVD too, some really cool stuff going on in these songs.

I really liked their demonstration too, Jari and Teemu were a bit boring just playing riffs and a solo, but Jukka's short simple bass melodies were nice - makes me wonder how much is going on in that album that I can't hear on a basic band level, and I'm a bit pissed at Jari for producing it alone. But hey, it's not like I value a good producing job above everything else, and I can play the DVD instead of the album now and of course, Kai is an astounding drummer and a great teacher, he actually explained what he was doing

Not a fan of how goddamn ugly it looks on the shelf. I hate the cover with the passion of a million burning stars.
----
24.10.2012 - 07:15
Wes

Written by Guest on 24.10.2012 at 00:25

There's a funny thing in the special thanks.

"I will release the demos"?
24.10.2012 - 09:32
Soulhole

Time I makes me feel like I'm flying into a Heavy Metal Nebula, One so awesome and powerful it makes me rethink my place in the universe... (>")> <( " )> <( "<) <( " )> (>")> STRAWBERRY JAM BABY!!!!!!!!!
24.10.2012 - 10:20
Milena
gloom cookie
I completely cracked up when I saw "I will release the demos"
The hidden track is also mighty cool.
----
24.10.2012 - 10:52
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 24.10.2012 at 10:20

I completely cracked up when I saw "I will release the demos"
The hidden track is also mighty cool.

What hidden track?
24.10.2012 - 11:26
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 24.10.2012 at 10:52

What hidden track?

Probably special edition only or something. It has choir tracks from "Sons of Winter and Stars" and some random goof-around at the end.
24.10.2012 - 15:58
Svneatr
Vitharr
Really enjoyed this album. It pushed all the right buttons for me. Interesting how an album can sound so cheesy and yet so original.
25.10.2012 - 00:17
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Ok well seems the shit-slinging has calmed down so I guess I will finally give my opinion. In the end it all comes down to taste, overrated or not overrated who gives a fuck? Most bands with a large following have people who despise them so if you dont like it dont fuckin listen to it - Unless you're a staffer and just likes to piss over people because you think your opinion is more valid. Well it ain't and in the end the ones who dig it are the ones smiling.

Anyway...its fantastic. True, its kinda short and its a pity that theres only really 3 songs. Is it overbearing? Is it somewhat pompous and bombastic? Of course it is, we always knew it would be. But it just so happens that I think its also fucking great. The lack of guitars is a bit disappointing but thats why Im really amped about Time II - I have a feeling I will be even more pleased by that album.
25.10.2012 - 00:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I love it how people here find negative points with the album and still rate it a 10. Hahahahaha

A 10 means perfect, so if you have criticism on the album, any album for that matter, you cannot rate it 10 because it is NOT perfect.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.10.2012 - 01:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.10.2012 at 00:30

I love it how people here find negative points with the album and still rate it a 10. Hahahahaha

A 10 means perfect, so if you have criticism on the album, any album for that matter, you cannot rate it 10 because it is NOT perfect.

True fact. I also love it that when any staffer has a strong opinion on something they get accused of "pissing over people." I also love it when said people say that they're the ones smiling yet are still unable to make a comment about a band with having a moan
25.10.2012 - 01:10
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget

None of the albums I've given a 10 are perfect, but pretty damn close (9.5+) so it gets rounded up
25.10.2012 - 01:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 25.10.2012 at 01:09

True fact. I also love it that when any staffer has a strong opinion on something they get accused of "pissing over people." People really are a moany lot. I also love it when said people say that they're the ones smiling yet are still unable to make a comment about a band with having a moan

Nowadays it seems to be a sin to have a strong opinion on music. People rather lap up everything presented to them by the hype machines of especially Nuclear Blast, Century Media and also those followers i the record industry
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.10.2012 - 01:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Risto on 25.10.2012 at 01:10

None of the albums I've given a 10 are perfect, but pretty damn close (9.5+) so it gets rounded up

So they are not perfect to you, so they shouldn't be awarded a 10

What does it say when you click on rate underneath an album? 10 = perfect
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.10.2012 - 01:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.10.2012 at 01:15
What does it say when you click on rate underneath an album? 10 = perfect

Well, I personally feel if the thing you don't like is very very tiny let's say one song could have been a bit longer/shorter or some other thing that doesn't really have that much to do with the overall sound, performance, atmosphere etc... I think it's okay to stay with the perfect tag.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.10.2012 - 01:54
Void Eater
Account deleted
Is it true that the version that leaked on Realm of Metal a week before the release is actually not the finished version? Like the production isn't fully done on it?
25.10.2012 - 06:54
3dd

1-No godlike guitar riffs like the first album.

2-Too much keyboard (except the intro track with Erhu, with is awesome.)

3-"Wait what, is already over? Is that's it?" (Maybe too much expectative leads to disappointment).

4-Forgettable.

Also, that chorus of "Sons Of Winter And Stars" leads to annoyance.
Keep the first album. This one is ridiculously overrated.
25.10.2012 - 16:02
Sword_Chant

Quote:
In the end it all comes down to taste, overrated or not overrated who gives a fuck? Most bands with a large following have people who despise them so if you dont like it dont fuckin listen to it - Unless you're a staffer and just likes to piss over people because you think your opinion is more valid. Well it ain't and in the end the ones who dig it are the ones smiling.

Amen!!!

Hits total: 164346 | This month: 112