03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012
Top 20 albums of 2012: 20

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 97 lists
Top lists

Comments page 21 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3631 users
09.11.2012 - 21:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
+2
09.11.2012 - 21:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
+ π
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.11.2012 - 21:55
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Ok guys that was funny! I just meant that he said exactly what I wanted to say!
09.11.2012 - 22:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.11.2012 at 21:55

That's also what I meant = P
09.11.2012 - 23:35
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.11.2012 at 23:02

Blind Guardian, Rhapsody - Northern power?

Angra = southern... or what's going on?
doesn't matter where they come from, the theme they use the patterns they write their music with,the motifs, you see? all those cliche that resemble the northern genre or I should say the genre which is called Northern
09.11.2012 - 23:36
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.11.2012 at 22:18

Written by Guest on 09.11.2012 at 21:55

That's also what I meant = P

so +1 again
09.11.2012 - 23:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.11.2012 at 23:36

so +1 again

I was just adding them up as we went along ^.^
10.11.2012 - 01:05
Rating: 9
MetalSpider
OMG GUYZ LIEK I DISAGREE!

...excuse me.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
15.11.2012 - 14:13
erat
Sons of Winter and Stars.. Brillant.. Epic..
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
16.11.2012 - 00:11
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
1st track is awesome !
22.11.2012 - 20:18
Rating: 7
Stoyz
I like this album because of the melodic association there is in every single song. It's less "hard" thant the first one, but it's really interesting.
The only thing I don't enjoy very much is the lenght.
26.11.2012 - 22:22
Rating: 10
Wes
Written by Lustful Maid on 25.11.2012 at 20:55

Can anyone tell me what the hell is this abum trying to express ?
A new genre ? Folky Space Monkey Metal ?
The first song was awful, a Chinese folk music combined with space metal. I did not like this album at all !

Thanks for rating something you would never listen to in the first place. Do you even like early Ensiferum or Wintersun? If not I'm sorry you haven't learned yet.
27.11.2012 - 20:10
fanapathy
Written by Death_95 on 20.10.2012 at 00:19

This might be a stupid question but I never really got what people mean by the 'overproduced' term? What does it mean?

I'd say for example if a melody is played on 5 octaves, the same chords are played on 8 synths with slight different effects/settings, things like that. It just doesn't make a difference. Rhythm that doesn't make sense, like throwing in lots of random time signature changes in an otherwise steady pattern just to make a unique riff, throw in 3 bass guitar tracks to try empower the sound, etc. Have a quadruple solo with harmonics for no reason when the root solo is fine and sounds better on its own. Things like that is how I'd interpret it. Whether this album does that a lot, I'm not sure as I gave it only a few listens because I like to listen to guitar riffs and otherwise real instruments with a more authentic sound
27.11.2012 - 23:10
Death_95
Written by fanapathy on 27.11.2012 at 20:10

This might be a stupid question but I never really got what people mean by the 'overproduced' term? What does it mean?

I'd say for example if a melody is played on 5 octaves, the same chords are played on 8 synths with slight different effects/settings, things like that. It just doesn't make a difference. Rhythm that doesn't make sense, like throwing in lots of random time signature changes in an otherwise steady pattern just to make a unique riff, throw in 3 bass guitar tracks to try empower the sound, etc. Have a quadruple solo with harmonics for no reason when the root solo is fine and sounds better on its own. Things like that is how I'd interpret it. Whether this album does that a lot, I'm not sure as I gave it only a few listens because I like to listen to guitar riffs and otherwise real instruments with a more authentic sound

Thanks man!
28.11.2012 - 17:10
fanapathy
Written by Lustful Maid on 28.11.2012 at 16:39

Written by fanapathy on 27.11.2012 at 20:10

...if a melody is played on 5 octaves, the same chords are played on 8 synths with slight different effects/settings, things like that. It just doesn't make a difference. Rhythm that doesn't make sense, like throwing in lots of random time signature changes in an otherwise steady pattern just to make a unique riff, throw in 3 bass guitar tracks to try empower the sound...

One thing I don't lke about internet is - People always like to bullshit like an expert without under supervision, and the mob follow.
For Christ's Sake, I don't know where did you copy this explaination, it was stupid. You didn't know music theory at all ! Octave and number of guitar are not related to "Overproduction".
Overproduction is a very formal word to describe the sound of an album is overly "touch-up". If Heavy Metal's sound effect is overly done it would become very "electronic". For example, sounds very tight, too much unnatural consistensy in the beats. Generally very much like disco music. I would say Judas Priest's all Remaster Albums are Overproduced ! but still acceptable.

This is how I've interpreted it, it's not copied from a definition. There are several albums that have been referred to as "overproduced" which has nothing to do with sounding electronic but having lots of unnecessary tracks which is what I'm referring to. If you're going to do an insulting post like this, at least provide sources.
28.11.2012 - 21:22
fanapathy
Quote:
Written by Lustful Maid on 28.11.2012 at 17:30

This is how I've interpreted it, it's not copied from a definition. There are several albums that have been referred to as "overproduced" which has nothing to do with sounding electronic but having lots of unnecessary tracks which is what I'm referring to. If you're going to do an insulting post like this, at least provide sources.

Then your interpretation was definitely wrong.
Overproduction is caused by the direction (sound engineering) of a music producer in a recording studio. I don't say everybody hates it, some even like the exta tight effect, but professional listeners surely hate it.
Overproduction is a very common term in studio production. If you still think "which has nothing to do with sounding electronic" then have nothing to say.

* (....but having lots of unnecessary tracks which is what I'm referring to...) I can't believe that you said this. This was really laughable.

I'm not derailing this further as you clearly don't understand what I mean, PM me when you reach puberty if you want to discuss this subject.
28.11.2012 - 23:54
Wes
"Unsung Hero" a 9?

edit: Thanks Alloy that picture is hilarious, I had completely forgot about that movie. Wow.
02.12.2012 - 09:21
Great album
02.12.2012 - 20:24
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This thread is hilarious.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.12.2012 - 11:08
chomskeet
I wasn't initially sold on Time but after a couple listens it really started to grow on me. I just saw them at House of Blues La and I was expecting the show to be good but it was way beyond anything I could have expected. They played the whole album almost straight through! I've been to a lot of shows and everything about this show was incredible. The crowd was waaay into it. Probably the most fun I've had at any concert, ever. I just changed my rating from an 8 to a 10
03.12.2012 - 23:47
Rating: 6
Aebsi
Hehe it's completely reverse for me after first few listens (4) it's quite good, but now it's just boring save one song "Sons of Winter and Stars", for me it's the only note worthy song
----
Just be Yourself
05.12.2012 - 09:31
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
It was a good little EP.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.12.2012 - 13:18
Rating: 7
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Lustful Maid on 25.11.2012 at 20:55

Folky Space Monkey Metal

I can only dream that this will become a thing.
07.12.2012 - 16:01
hershadow
Im really not sure of the technicalities of production but it is quite obvious in their album. Regardless, when I listen to it especially on the Sonic Studio... I only hear magnificence! It is the conclusion of my musical search. This is music for me. Its a new style and it's something that I personally would indulge.
07.12.2012 - 23:03
Sword_Chant
Imo it is a rarity for a band to release an album these days to such a depth or effort. To me it remains the metal album of the year. I believe some people think differently, well if you don't like it then try some other metal bands out, but I will continue listening to this
19.12.2012 - 20:55
MyNameJeff
If this band went on the 70000 Tons of Metal cruise, the cruise would have to change its name to 70000 Tons of Cheese due to this album's cheesiness.
Very fun album nonetheless.
21.12.2012 - 23:50
Vikcen
Metálico
At the first listening of the album, i have to admit, that my first impressions was: What is this shit?! At first it was difficult to get used to this sound, but while I was listening more and more the album, i was tuning the sound in my audio equipment (high bass, and reducing a little the treble, usually I have the treble to the max, in my car, and in this way you separate the different instruments more, specially in this album, but i even get best result in the pc Windows 7, with audio driver 64 bits) together to my ears that was getting used to this sound gradually, i highly recommend to play with the tuning of your audio system's equalizer to get optimal sound, and finally i can say now i like very much the new album of Jari, to my ears when i listen the whole album i feel as if i was listening an instrumental work of classical music, a work very difficult to compose and mixing this multiinstrumentalist monster, with a great effort that is undeniable, no doubt the process was extremely laborious, and surely this album is an example of technological innovation, how the current technologies can allow something of this musical density, so i repeat, tunes it well with the equalizer, if you want to hear all the performances of this musical wonderful piece, that on the other hand i have to admit some of these performances can be difficult to hear. Comparing this album with the first, is clear that you can see two different styles, but finally i prefer the more metal style of the first album, and the melodies on the first were best inspired artistically.
27.12.2012 - 09:03
JunN_Vai
WOW, this discussion is .... is.... is... very ..... hhhmmmm...... what I want to say is..... awful..... strange....., yes, since the first album is great (that everyone want to say) and high expectation for 2nd album/EP while waiting in a long time
27.12.2012 - 16:49
MetalSpider
I love the album but I'm finding that it's not something I listen to often in comparison with the original or a lot of other albums that I've been listening to lately.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
03.01.2013 - 14:56
Vermoorden
Written by Wes on 28.11.2012 at 23:54

"Unsung Hero" a 9?

edit: Thanks Alloy that picture is hilarious, I had completely forgot about that movie. Wow.

I laughed too. Unsung heros is barely a 7.

Hits total: 164399 | This month: 165