4 - Sons Of Winter And Stars
03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 96 lists
Top lists

Comments page 22 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3626 users
07.01.2013 - 01:01
Rating: 10
JÄY
Metal slave
Quote:
Written by Lustful Maid on 06.01.2013 at 11:38

I laughed too. Unsung heros is barely a 7.

Funny. Only this site underrated Unsung Hero, overrated Time I. We laugh at each other.

The feeling this site has toward Unsung Heros is similar to most http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/ensiferum
07.01.2013 - 02:15
theFIST

Written by Lustful Maid on 25.11.2012 at 20:55

A new genre

Written by Lustful Maid on 27.11.2012 at 12:37

obviously 0 creativity

had no idea such a compromise was possible
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
09.01.2013 - 05:24
Rating: 8
opeth771

So many people coming to bands page just to start trashing and hating on the band's page to start a bashing war with fans of the band... This is so pathetic... It is all about taste and if you don't like it, good for you, but if I like it, I like it and you won't change my mind.

To me, Sons of Winter and Stars has to be the most EPIC song ever recorded and don't ever tell me it is not creative or missing originality because you will obviously be the biggest troll ever.

As for Ensiferum, I am a huge fan of Ensiferum and liked all the albums. But Unsung Hero, whatever the hell that is supposed to be, to me, it is the worst album I have listened to from a band I like. Just as bad as Sonata Arctica's albums after Reckoning Night.

I agree that the other songs on the album are just OK and don't really stand off, but what you must realize is that Jari decided to cut Time into two parts so he could release the first part earlier because of the fans had waited too long. For me, Time I and Time II are more EPs than an albnum.

Let's wait for Time II, but I hardly see how can any future songs can ever match Sons of Winter and Stars!
09.01.2013 - 06:33
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by theFIST on 07.01.2013 at 02:15

A new genre

obviously 0 creativity

Although I fin this album extremely dull, I have to admit, you got him there.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.01.2013 - 16:04
theFIST

Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.01.2013 at 06:33

Written by theFIST on 07.01.2013 at 02:15

A new genre

obviously 0 creativity

Although I fin this album extremely dull, I have to admit, you got him there.

don"t really like it either, but notice that much thought went into it
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
09.01.2013 - 20:33
Zap
This thread is hilarious, keep it coming.
12.01.2013 - 15:42
Mario Montes

Best album of 2012 and one of the best ever in my opinion. So intense and passional.
30.01.2013 - 14:28
Cristi

The same thing like the first album (compositional speaking - less variations) with one tempo. Waiting for Time II. Hope for the best!
05.02.2013 - 08:55
Soulhole

Pretty much this is what I was expecting. I grew up listening to lots of COB, KALMAH, Ensiferum, etc. Many people think the melodeath genre has gone stale, but it's still my favorite, and Wintersun are at the top of their game this go around. Can't wait for part two.
05.02.2013 - 11:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Soulhole on 05.02.2013 at 08:55

Pretty much this is what I was expecting. I grew up listening to lots of COB, KALMAH, Ensiferum, etc. Many people think the melodeath genre has gone stale, but it's still my favorite, and Wintersun are at the top of their game this go around. Can't wait for part two.

Jusy such a shame that all the bands you mentioned don't play melodeath at all They all play a more extreme version of power metal, nothing to do with melodeath.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2013 - 15:59
Soulhole

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2013 at 11:57

Jusy such a shame that all the bands you mentioned don't play melodeath at all They all play a more extreme version of power metal, nothing to do with melodeath.

Ah, I stand corrected
09.02.2013 - 01:52
Rating: 9
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

Not quite, Ensiferum are extreme folk and Kalmah have undeniable melodic death influences.
12.02.2013 - 21:40
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by LeKiwi on 09.02.2013 at 01:52

Kalmah have undeniable melodic death influences.

Really? Such as? Kalmah, Ensiferum, and COB each play extreme power metal, pretty much no melo-death influence at all
12.02.2013 - 22:35
Vombatus
Potorro
Most would say Kalmah has melodeath influences... well, at least most websites do (including this one), reviews and whatnot.

I think there was a topic about extremepower/melodeath for all genre-pickiness fans, gave good insight about it.
13.02.2013 - 16:57
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I take that back. I can hear the death metal influence in Kalmah. Listening through Swamplord again and there are definite death metal influences
03.03.2013 - 01:41
Rating: 6
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Alex F on 12.02.2013 at 21:40

Really? Such as? Kalmah, Ensiferum, and COB each play extreme power metal, pretty much no melo-death influence at all

I dont really see the big deal in calling those bands melodeath. Sure if you wanna be technical they are extreme power but everyone from where Im from just uses Melodic death as an umbrella term for these bands, its just an easier term to use when talking casually.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
03.03.2013 - 02:09
Lord_Regnier

I know people on other forums who would argue with you that bands like COB, Kalmah, Ensiferum, etc are melodic Death Metal.
However, I think they are wrong and I agree with you. When I hear those bands, the music reminds me a lot of 90s Stratovarius, only with some blastbeats and semi-harsh vocals thrown in.
Not heavy enough to be labelled as Death Metal, Imo.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
13.03.2013 - 14:09
Rhiannon
Account deleted
I love this album, just like the previous one. After the long wait and computer problems (if there were really), etc. I was expecting a disaster, but it was a pleasant surprise. Ok, first the songs sounded like a synth-mess, and overproduced, but after a few listens I realized that they are actually really good. My only problem is that it's so short, and we only got half of the album But money rules, I guess.
26.03.2013 - 17:47
TyR-Metalmaeniak

Compared to their first album this is a joke ... dunno why but I have a strange feeling about the actual albums of the metal world that all have a sense to popularize their stuff. Underground FTW
03.04.2013 - 04:56
JÄY
Metal slave
Finally has to bump it up to 10....
17.05.2013 - 21:05
RealEyes

Too much melody 8.3-8,4
29.07.2013 - 00:59
Stunning Cactus

Who's going to see them during their tour?
08.08.2013 - 17:31
Spanishkiller

Written by RealEyes on 17.05.2013 at 21:05

Too much melody 8.3-8,4

I definietly like the new style. At least Jari is doing something different form most bands. That is why I like this album.

Anyway it looks like Time 2 will be more melodeath-stylish...
12.08.2013 - 16:29
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
I saw them on live recently, and i have to admit that the new songs sounded better.
28.09.2013 - 02:49
master 666
King of Arizona
Wwoooooooooooooooww
16.12.2013 - 14:22
Rating: 3
essbee

After listening to it again, the instrumentation is not that bad but it still sounds like the gayest album I have ever heard, wow. Sons of winter and stars is the epitome of gayness.
15.01.2014 - 10:04
dr devil

Rating : 10 awesome 4 ever.
08.02.2014 - 14:31
Rating: 1
God Alone

One of the few 1s I'll ever give. If you want to torture me, there's no need to skin me alive; just lock me in a room, put this album on and my brain will slowly burst out from my ears.
15.06.2014 - 19:56
NorthernDickhead

Written by Lord_Regnier on 03.03.2013 at 02:09

I know people on other forums who would argue with you that bands like COB, Kalmah, Ensiferum, etc are melodic Death Metal.
However, I think they are wrong and I agree with you. When I hear those bands, the music reminds me a lot of 90s Stratovarius, only with some blastbeats and semi-harsh vocals thrown in.
Not heavy enough to be labelled as Death Metal, Imo.

You say that Kalmah sound like 90's Stratovarius, give me a break
09.11.2015 - 09:00
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by essbee on 16.12.2013 at 14:22

After listening to it again, the instrumentation is not that bad but it still sounds like the gayest album I have ever heard, wow. Sons of winter and stars is the epitome of gayness.

You sound unintelligent.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal

Hits total: 164218 | This month: 279