03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012
Top 20 albums of 2012: 20

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 97 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3631 users
09.11.2010 - 18:00
Rating: 9
Gurth Bennas
Whaaaaaaaaat!!!!! December 2011??????
Shiiiiiiit!!!! I can't wait another second for Time! I'm gonna suicide!
is jari playing cat and mouse with us? well I hope he'll make it sooner!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
10.11.2010 - 05:39
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Yeah, this is bizarre as hell. Three years is a long time for an average band not to release an album (Blind Guardian release one album in every four years, cause they're German and that's how many years there are between two Football World Championships), five years is a long time for a one-man type project like Ayreon. There are a lot of bands who release an album almost every year or every other year and a lot of those bands are very good, so this 7 year gap is like some kind of joke. The only other album that has been coming for this long is Aria Galactica.

Hey, Wintersun! The multiple eargasms your fanboys/girls received from the self-titled have ended a long time ago. Stop flattering yourselves and deliver!
10.11.2010 - 15:04
Vikcen
Metálico
The problem is that the album has been announced and then delayed. A band can be perfectly 7 years or 8 years or X years without album depending on the circumstances, but i announce the album knowing that it will coming out in X time after, obviously in a reasonable time, normally months, one year - two years.

Anyway, this situation does not matter to me, my only thought is centered on the disc is as good as the first, is my great desire.
17.11.2010 - 13:55
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by RavenKing on 04.11.2010 at 13:12

Written by MacofMetal on 23.10.2010 at 00:36

I think that Wintersun brings a new definition to black metal cause of its perfection and performance. Jari Maenpaa shows a tedious and perfectionist aspect to his recordings.

You don't know shit about Black Metal if you believe Wintersun has anything to do with it.
Their music has a thousand times more in common with Stratovarius than with Black Metal.

I'm more offended by the fact that someone worships perfectionism in music. I find it lacks character when it's too polished.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.11.2010 - 14:46
RavenKing
Written by Doc G. on 17.11.2010 at 13:55

Written by RavenKing on 04.11.2010 at 13:12

Written by MacofMetal on 23.10.2010 at 00:36

I think that Wintersun brings a new definition to black metal cause of its perfection and performance. Jari Maenpaa shows a tedious and perfectionist aspect to his recordings.

You don't know shit about Black Metal if you believe Wintersun has anything to do with it.
Their music has a thousand times more in common with Stratovarius than with Black Metal.

I'm more offended by the fact that someone worships perfectionism in music. I find it lacks character when it's too polished.

I just wished to tell him that saying something like "a new definition to Black Metal" was stupid, taking into account Wintersun is not even BM in the first place. But yes, saying it's perfection is even more stupid. There's no such thing as perfection, in my mind (that's why all those 10 ratings to albums make me laugh - nothing is perfect so nothing deserves a 10).

About lacking character when it's too polished, you probably know that I totally agree with you. Imo, it's the worst plague the metal scene suffers from since at least the millenia: overproduction that makes over 90% of all stuff sound sterile, synthesized, soulless and, in the end, boring to death. For me, it's a real problem, as I can hardly find a few new albums here and there I can like enough to warrant a purchase. I considered many times to give up on 'today's metal', stick to my collection and ignore metal for the rest. The only thing that prevents me to do it is, as rare as it happens, I'm still able sometimes to find a new album I really love. I think it still worths the trouble but less and less, year after year. At the moment, I don't know what decision I will take in the future.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
17.11.2010 - 20:29
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by RavenKing on 17.11.2010 at 14:46

About lacking character when it's too polished, you probably know that I totally agree with you. Imo, it's the worst plague the metal scene suffers from since at least the millenia: overproduction that makes over 90% of all stuff sound sterile, synthesized, soulless and, in the end, boring to death. For me, it's a real problem, as I can hardly find a few new albums here and there I can like enough to warrant a purchase. I considered many times to give up on 'today's metal', stick to my collection and ignore metal for the rest. The only thing that prevents me to do it is, as rare as it happens, I'm still able sometimes to find a new album I really love. I think it still worths the trouble but less and less, year after year. At the moment, I don't know what decision I will take in the future.

Dude, it is sad to hear that, sorry very much (i'm not joking), i understand you, i suppose we are getting older ...
22.11.2010 - 21:40
Destructhor
Http://www.wintermadness.net/ READ sooner than Dec 2011 I hope
27.11.2010 - 04:22
Griever
Written by Vikcen on 17.11.2010 at 20:29

Dude, it is sad to hear that, sorry very much (i'm not joking), i understand you, i suppose we are getting older ...

You know, I dont think it's that you're getting older. Metal is in a downward spiral... It's that simple and it's really sad.
It's so hard to find good new bands these days.
The only debut album I have heard probably in the last 2 years that has really grabbed me, choked me and not let go was Soreption - Deterioration of Minds. It really sucks to say that one album in 2 years has had that effect.
Luckily, metal bands generally have a longer life expectancy than bands in other genres. Thank god for all the old favourites!

I am looking forward to Time. Admittedly if it proves to be a lesser album than their first I will be - as I'm sure so many people will be - shattered.

I say to Jari: 'take all the time you need, mate! We've waited this long... what's another 5 years?'

Does anyone find the title 'Time' ironic?
27.11.2010 - 08:59
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Griever on 27.11.2010 at 04:22

Quick! He just woke up from a coma!
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.11.2010 - 16:52
RavenKing

You know, I dont think it's that you're getting older. Metal is in a downward spiral... It's that simple and it's really sad.

I don't think it has anything to do with age, indeed. Like you, I believe it has much more to do with metal being in the downward spiral for the last decade. What makes me think like that is I still love stuff at first listen, when it fits my tastes. And there is still lots of stuff I loved long ago and love as much today.

I think it's not me getting old. The explanation is much more simple and sad: generally, metal sucks nowadays. I hate the current quantity-plagued metal scene where albums come out of an assembly line. Overproduced, sterile, synthesized, soulless and passionless. A manufactured product and not art.

First step towards fixing this situation would be to bring back 'the old sound', if you know what I mean. To make metal sound as metal and not like hard rock or pop rock. This alone plays a non-negligible part in me listening almost exclusively to Black Metal nowadays. It's the only genre from which new releases give me 'the old and genuine metal feeling'. With other genres, I still like some old stuff but production destroys almost every new album for me ("World Painted Blood" is a good example of this situation - the album has potential but it sounds like modern soulless crap due to production).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
30.11.2010 - 06:23
Griever
Written by vezzy on 27.11.2010 at 08:59

Quick! He just woke up from a coma!

Actually, I did, about 3 months ago.
30.11.2010 - 06:52
Griever
Written by RavenKing on 27.11.2010 at 16:52

I don't think it has anything to do with age, indeed. Like you, I believe it has much more to do with metal being in the downward spiral for the last decade. What makes me think like that is I still love stuff at first listen, when it fits my tastes. And there is still lots of stuff I loved long ago and love as much today.

I think it's not me getting old. The explanation is much more simple and sad: generally, metal sucks nowadays. I hate the current quantity-plagued metal scene where albums come out of an assembly line. Overproduced, sterile, synthesized, soulless and passionless. A manufactured product and not art.

First step towards fixing this situation would be to bring back 'the old sound', if you know what I mean. To make metal sound as metal and not like hard rock or pop rock. This alone plays a non-negligible part in me listening almost exclusively to Black Metal nowadays. It's the only genre from which new releases give me 'the old and genuine metal feeling'. With other genres, I still like some old stuff but production destroys almost every new album for me ("World Painted Blood" is a good example of this situation - the album has potential but it sounds like modern soulless crap due to production).

That is a perfect example! I remember listening to it (the one and only time i have) and thinking 'I should like this... why dont I like this?' You've nailed it and I totally agree.
I'll be seeing Slayer in March. I'd like to hear some of the songs off "World Painted Blood" live just to see what they are like.

I don't think it's only the production that's killing metal though. People are so easily influenced these days and I know in Australia it's become cool to listen to metalcore. The term 'metal' - while it has always been very broad - seems broader than ever. Record labels are selling their band's under the genre 'metal' regardless of whether it qualifies for the genre or not. All this is rubbing off on younger generations. We should expect it to a point though. Music evolves as does almost every aspect of society. It's bound to happen.
An example of the term 'metal' being alot broader these days; I was looking through the 'upcoming releases' section on here the other day and saw Underoath ... GET FUCKED!
That pissed me off.
01.12.2010 - 23:56
Vikcen
Metálico

The only debut album I have heard probably in the last 2 years that has really grabbed me, choked me and not let go was Soreption - Deterioration of Minds. It really sucks to say that one album in 2 years has had that effect.
Luckily, metal bands generally have a longer life expectancy than bands in other genres. Thank god for all the old favourites!

I am looking forward to Time. Admittedly if it proves to be a lesser album than their first I will be - as I'm sure so many people will be - shattered.

I say to Jari: 'take all the time you need, mate! We've waited this long... what's another 5 years?'

With age, i wanted to say that as time passes, the world of man goes evolving, goes evolving technologically, socially, etc, or rather the humanity goes changing in one direction. And all this can exceed you as you getting old, do not forget that even for 20-30 years, the world changes faster than you think, and you have to adapt or die =), i remember many things in my childhood, or when i was young, that currently are very different, changes the language, changes the society, changes the human behavior, new technologies, economy, the fashions, jobs, the way to organize the things, you change, etc, etc.

So considering what i wanted to say, in the case of music, if we talk about sound and production, they also are changing in one direction over time, mainly because new technologies are discovered and is inevitable that the sound changes in general in a direction, so in many cases for someone who has experienced another kind of sound 20 years ago which you feel completely identified, perfectly you may feel disappointed with the new current sound, because it has evolved in a direction that doesn't go with you, with your way of being.

Simply, when i read what RavenKing said, i think that i wanted to express it, or i felt it, in a nostalgic way. Being honest with myself, i think that nowadays with many things in my life, the time exceeds me. Well, about the expression of age, it is simply another way to express, and i understand that it can be ambiguous.

By the way, the songs of "World Painted Blood" in live are awesome, i hope you enjoy .
02.12.2010 - 19:43
Destructhor
Slayer - World Painted In Blood
Seriously, JARI!! STOP DRINKING AND COMPLETE THE ALBUM!!!
06.12.2010 - 14:36
Rating: 7
Destructo
Release the fuckin' album already !!!!!!!
07.12.2010 - 02:23
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Eh, who cares? It will be out when it's out. All the people whining on here makes me sick. Who cares that its taking so long? I siure don't spend my days worrying about it. I have tons of other bands to listen to. In fact, the time you spend worrying about Wintersun you could be using to discover new bands or something. I don't see half as many people riding Necrophagist about how long it's taking to get their next album out...and oh yeah, it's been the same amount of time since they released an album too.
07.12.2010 - 03:04
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 07.12.2010 at 02:23

Eh, who cares? It will be out when it's out. All the people whining on here makes me sick. Who cares that its taking so long? I siure don't spend my days worrying about it. I have tons of other bands to listen to. In fact, the time you spend worrying about Wintersun you could be using to discover new bands or something. I don't see half as many people riding Necrophagist about how long it's taking to get their next album out...and oh yeah, it's been the same amount of time since they released an album too.

12.12.2010 - 18:55
ChrisWinther
I will be laughing if this album sucks
20.12.2010 - 10:30
mz
What the hell is with "time"? 7 years is too much and we must wait another year for this album.I hope it be as good as "wintersun".
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
22.12.2010 - 05:56
Grody2themax
Written by Vunts on 15.09.2010 at 01:30

I don't mind the type of music that Wintersun play, I like some songs on their album as well, but I have never gotten around to understand why they are hyped so much. They don't do anything unique. They haven't reinvented any genres, their musicianship isn't on unheard levels, they are just another band, who can play songs that don't annoy me. Of which there are many. Yet, for some reason I still listen to other bands before Wintersun, and the only reason why I'm looking forward to this release, is because it reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever.

I actually laughed. At this point in time, if you're not happy with a band because they didn't invent any new genres you either have unusually high standard or are a complete idiot. This isn't the 80's anymore. Unfortunately, mostly everything has already been done on guitar. Bands still can make awesome and unique music though, which Wintersun definitely does in my opinion. But, idk maybe I'm just not hearing it right.

As for the musicianship not being on unheard levels...Its not like hes the best guitarist ever but I assure you, he is pretty damn good. Just listen to the solo in Winter Madness if you disagree with me. Not only is that hard to play, it was also very nicely written.

Just to make sure I don't get attacked here. I just enjoy their music when I listen to it, but don't call me an irrational Wintersun fanboy or anything.
22.12.2010 - 13:08
Vunts
Written by Grody2themax on 22.12.2010 at 05:56

I don't mind the type of music that Wintersun play, I like some songs on their album as well, but I have never gotten around to understand why they are hyped so much. They don't do anything unique. They haven't reinvented any genres, their musicianship isn't on unheard levels, they are just another band, who can play songs that don't annoy me. Of which there are many. Yet, for some reason I still listen to other bands before Wintersun, and the only reason why I'm looking forward to this release, is because it reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever.

Just to make sure I don't get attacked here. I just enjoy their music when I listen to it, but don't call me an irrational Wintersun fanboy or anything.

No need to attack you. The part that you bolded out was what other people have said to justify their Wintersun wankery. That's why I brought it out.
23.12.2010 - 05:21
Grody2themax
Written by Vunts on 22.12.2010 at 13:08

No need to attack you. The part that you bolded out was what other people have said to justify their Wintersun wankery. That's why I brought it out.

True, I agree that some people act as if it's some new genre of music and that Jari is the best guitarist in the world. But the fact is, is that its pretty original (at least in my opinion) and Jari is really a good guitarist. But I know what you're saying. Although I try not to let the fans get in the way of the music. I just let them have fun going crazy over it. It shouldn't affect the way I look at the music though.
27.12.2010 - 16:17
Saeed_p
December 2011!!!! Piece a SHIT!!!
27.12.2010 - 17:45
Rating: 10
FeskarN
Jari posted on the bands forum that only one song (Silver Leafs) is left with orcestral and three songs are ready for mixing. Some vocals are left too.

Finally some progress! Though the mixing will be really time consuming.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
04.01.2011 - 22:55
Destructhor
Written by ChrisWinther on 12.12.2010 at 18:55

I will be laughing if this album sucks

I will suicide if this album sucks! The release date only sucks..
05.01.2011 - 12:12
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
^ We'll expect pics!
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
05.01.2011 - 13:00
Luneth
Account deleted

I actually laughed. At this point in time, if you're not happy with a band because they didn't invent any new genres you either have unusually high standard or are a complete idiot. This isn't the 80's anymore. Unfortunately, mostly everything has already been done on guitar. Bands still can make awesome and unique music though, which Wintersun definitely does in my opinion. But, idk maybe I'm just not hearing it right.

As for the musicianship not being on unheard levels...Its not like hes the best guitarist ever but I assure you, he is pretty damn good. Just listen to the solo in Winter Madness if you disagree with me. Not only is that hard to play, it was also very nicely written.

I disagree with the bit about muscianship. Jari Maenpaa is a brilliant guitarist, definetly one of the best in 21st century Power Metal bands. Not only that, he practically does everything else. For me, he made his former bands, Imperanon and Ensiferum, what they were. Very gifted musician. Everything else I agree with though, doing something completely new on a guitar in this context is incredibly difficult, but Jari's skills are actually insanely good. He's fast, technical and highly proficient, cleaness with his sweep picking similar to Ynwie Malmsteen.
05.01.2011 - 23:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 05.01.2011 at 12:12

^ We'll expect pics!

How can someone take pics of their own suicide?
05.01.2011 - 23:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.01.2011 at 23:33

Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 05.01.2011 at 12:12

^ We'll expect pics!

How can someone take pics of their own suicide?

Well you could use a timer and I think you can get cameras that automatically upload to the internet after it takes. Everyone's a winner!
05.01.2011 - 23:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 05.01.2011 at 23:38
Well you could use a timer and I think you can get cameras that automatically upload to the internet after it takes. Everyone's a winner!

I suppose so... lol

Hits total: 164397 | This month: 163