03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012
Top 20 albums of 2012: 20

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 97 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3631 users
06.01.2011 - 00:48
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.01.2011 at 23:33

Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 05.01.2011 at 12:12

^ We'll expect pics!

How can someone take pics of their own suicide?
Camera with a timer? And now there are some that have an auto-upload feature for FB, Twitter, YT etc. Just add MS into camera settings.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
11.01.2011 - 01:16
Grody2themax
Written by Guest on 05.01.2011 at 13:00

Written by Grody2themax on 22.12.2010 at 05:56

Written by Vunts on 15.09.2010 at 01:30

I don't mind the type of music that Wintersun play, I like some songs on their album as well, but I have never gotten around to understand why they are hyped so much. They don't do anything unique. They haven't reinvented any genres, their musicianship isn't on unheard levels, they are just another band, who can play songs that don't annoy me. Of which there are many. Yet, for some reason I still listen to other bands before Wintersun, and the only reason why I'm looking forward to this release, is because it reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever.

I actually laughed. At this point in time, if you're not happy with a band because they didn't invent any new genres you either have unusually high standard or are a complete idiot. This isn't the 80's anymore. Unfortunately, mostly everything has already been done on guitar. Bands still can make awesome and unique music though, which Wintersun definitely does in my opinion. But, idk maybe I'm just not hearing it right.

As for the musicianship not being on unheard levels...Its not like hes the best guitarist ever but I assure you, he is pretty damn good. Just listen to the solo in Winter Madness if you disagree with me. Not only is that hard to play, it was also very nicely written.

Just to make sure I don't get attacked here. I just enjoy their music when I listen to it, but don't call me an irrational Wintersun fanboy or anything.

I disagree with the bit about muscianship. Jari Maenpaa is a brilliant guitarist, definetly one of the best in 21st century Power Metal bands. Not only that, he practically does everything else. For me, he made his former bands, Imperanon and Ensiferum, what they were. Very gifted musician. Everything else I agree with though, doing something completely new on a guitar in this context is incredibly difficult, but Jari's skills are actually insanely good. He's fast, technical and highly proficient, cleaness with his sweep picking similar to Ynwie Malmsteen.

Yea, like I said hes a really damn good guitarist. But IMO, theres more to playign guitar than technical playing skills. Hes a really good songwriter as well, but maybe some things he lacks a little bit in some aspects IMO to be considered the best. Definitely one of my favorite players though and I agree a lot on what you said too.
27.01.2011 - 23:19
02.02.2011 - 01:23
deliverance7
ANNOUNCE A FUCKING DATE!!!!!!!
02.02.2011 - 02:18
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Have some patience.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
09.02.2011 - 22:36
Rating: 10
Yugosaki
Time what is time
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
10.02.2011 - 04:32
RavenKing
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 02.02.2011 at 02:18

Have some patience.

People have already patiented since 2006, if I remember well.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
13.02.2011 - 03:40
Rating: 8
iMorphball
Written by RavenKing on 10.02.2011 at 04:32

Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 02.02.2011 at 02:18

Have some patience.

People have already patiented since 2006, if I remember well.

^

I think they should release a song preview or SOMETHING. My god, we have no idea what this thing sounds like, and if it's even worth the wait.

Hell, we don't even know if it's real. >.<
19.02.2011 - 22:15
RavenKing
Let me make a little calculation.

The original Duke Nukem came out in 1996.
Duke Nukem Forever will be released in may 2011.

The original Wintersun album came out in 2004.
So, we can expect Time will be released in 2019, with a bit of luck.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
21.02.2011 - 17:45
Rating: 5
@gent_-_orange
My opinion is that this album will be a let down.
24.02.2011 - 04:06
PowerThrash
I can't wait for this
06.03.2011 - 11:28
.:Nataras:.
.:Saratan:.
Kidding me!??! this is a funny joke...
----
06.03.2011 - 11:31
.:Nataras:.
Written by @gent_-_orange on 21.02.2011 at 17:45

i'm agree with u!
----
15.03.2011 - 21:39
Destructhor
I turned 20, my aunt died, and "Time" is still not released.. I can't wait... I expect this album since 2007, It was listed in one magazine upcoming releases list, for December 2007, but it was not released... I wonder whatta fuck is going on and WHY IT TAKES SO MUCH TIME!!!
16.03.2011 - 23:05
Rating: 10
Sword_Chant
Written by @gent_-_orange on 21.02.2011 at 17:45

+1
04.04.2011 - 00:08
poison-evie
When is this coming out?
04.04.2011 - 02:27
Rating: 9
MetalSpider
I almost forgot about Wintersun. I'll listen to the new album when it comes out no doubt, but I refuse to set high expectations for it.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
06.04.2011 - 17:20
Rating: 8
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Too much hype is a bad thing.
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.05.2011 - 04:46
abysss
Written by Rozz on 24.03.2010 at 06:18

Yeah and it will be posponed again and again until like 2020

OMG 2020 lol, I guess Jari will be so tired of making it, that he will just throw the whole project in the dust bin of history

lol, i'm joking... hopefully it will be released somewhere soon.
03.05.2011 - 02:48
I will take some time...
05.05.2011 - 08:01
CliffemAll
05.05.2011 - 11:00
Yasmine
Yep, by time it gets here it'll be a total let down.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
05.05.2011 - 14:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It's already a total letdown.

In fact, it's already won the biggest letdown in the MS Awards for 2009 and 2010.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.05.2011 - 11:48
FreddeSwede
Since the Metalstorm crew is apparently napping since I posted this news 3 days ago I decided to post ih here instead. Here's some news around Wintersun's tourdates and the new album.

http://www.wintermadness.net/

Edit: Scroll down and you'll find what you're looking for.
18.05.2011 - 11:32
Wraith
Like everyone else I'm completely excited for this to come out. The wait only heightens the excitement, it'll be like christmas when it's finally released.
18.05.2011 - 11:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Wraith on 18.05.2011 at 11:32

Like everyone else I'm completely excited for this to come out. The wait only heightens the excitement, it'll be like christmas when it's finally released.

Everyone else? There are loads of people who aren't waiting for this AT all especially seeing that the first Wintersun album is so immensely average.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2011 - 13:32
Starchild
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2011 at 11:46

the first Wintersun album is so immensely average.

thx for enlightening us all ..and rating based on almost thousand people also proves that statement.
19.05.2011 - 10:05
wormdrink414
Elite
Just recently went to a hobby shop and had some unexplainable urge to buy a pack of pokemon cards. (Had them on my mind since, for some reason...) The same general idea will probably apply when I finally see this in the local album store. Otherwise, I've pretty much stopped caring about Wintersun.
20.05.2011 - 03:18
themetalman
Account deleted
Bet it'll suck, too bad ill never find out
20.05.2011 - 05:51
Yasmine
Written by Starchild on 18.05.2011 at 13:32

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2011 at 11:46

the first Wintersun album is so immensely average.

thx for enlightening us all ..and rating based on almost thousand people also proves that statement.

Appealing to popularity is NOT a good idea, however the 1st album is great fusing the best of metal with neo-classical work that creates not only a wonderful atmosphere, but brilliant works of art rather than just a few drudging riffs that could only intoxicate a caveman.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u

Hits total: 164400 | This month: 166