Release date: 1995

01. En Vind Av Sorg
02. Triumphant Gleam
03. The Hordes Of Nebulah
04. Hans Siste Vinter
05. Beholding The Throne Of Might
06. Quintessence
07. Snø Og Granskog (Utferd)

Unholy Darkthrone was upon us again back in 1995 with their fifth release now on new label Moonfog under the watching eye of Satyricon-man Sigurd Wongraven, the band released a very anticipated album called Panzerfaust a.k.a. 'Tank-fist'. For people who liked their old productions won't be disappointed because Nocturno Culto, Zephyrous and Fenriz succeeded again to create that kind a music where black metal is just all about.

And I think this is a perfect example of an album you just can't allow to be re-mastered because of the primitive production, Darkthrone's rusty sound makes the music even better and darker.

Because where Transylvanian Hunger ended, Panzerfaust continues, and this album his unforgettable riffs, screaming vocals and lyrics that makes you shiver from head to toe, crowns it all in that way that on a very hot summer day you still can feel theice-cold-Norwegian breeze blowing through your speakers...

Written by Wolf | 11.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 18   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 154 users
30.07.2006 - 13:05
dark awakening

I agree! Great songs take place in this CD! True Norwegian Black Metal!
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
27.08.2006 - 20:31
Kurzag
Account deleted
This album is so f***ing grim and cold.
02.12.2006 - 01:23
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
Awesome... Raw... Cold... Another Darkthrone masterpiece!
unforgettable, great Black Metal album!
08.01.2007 - 16:11
+GLOBOSITOR+
Account deleted
Wooooooooow! Good album, yeah!!
Hans Siste Vinter is the best song of that album!:banger:
04.02.2007 - 21:28
Rating: 9
Rimfrost

Best of the Darkthrone albums. En vind av sorg is a great song.
27.10.2007 - 04:58
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i think theres a spelling mistake in third paragraph - album 'his' unforgettable - should be has? just a small change needed
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
27.10.2007 - 17:30
Sonsofsabbath

I like this band, their music is primal, organic. I watched their
dvd on a peaceville remaster, i think it was there first or second release. These guys are in there own world, which can be interesting to enter on occasion.
19.04.2008 - 07:36
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
nice album.. it has the slower parts that i kinda like on raw black metal, but not toooo slow like Soulside Journey, The only bad song is Hordes of Nebulah, very boring.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.06.2009 - 21:53
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Another raw black metal masterpiece.
26.06.2009 - 08:44
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
This album ranks with FOAD and Total Death as my least favorite Darkthrone releases.

it sounds at points like it wants to recapture some of what Transylvanian Hunger had going for it, but just seems dull in comparison. it marked the beginning of a bit of a rut for the band, before Plaguewielder and the fantastic Hate Them got them out of it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.06.2009 - 16:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Uirapuru on 19.04.2008 at 07:36

it has the slower parts that i kinda like on raw black metal, but not toooo slow like Soulside Journey,

... Soulside Journey is Death Metal as far as I'm corcerned. So is easy to understand why that album was different.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.06.2009 - 18:59
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.06.2009 at 16:20

Written by Uirapuru on 19.04.2008 at 07:36

it has the slower parts that i kinda like on raw black metal, but not toooo slow like Soulside Journey,

... Soulside Journey is Death Metal as far as I'm corcerned. So is easy to understand why that album was different.

Yeah.. that's true, I didnt even notice that genre difference back then
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
12.09.2009 - 14:00
Rating: 7
Slayer666

En Vind Av Sorg and Hans Siste Vinter are a lot better than even some stuff on Transilvanian Hunger, but the rest is medicore, IMO.
EDIT: Quintessence is also pretty good.
12.09.2009 - 14:15
Lord_Regnier

I've never been able to get into "Panzerfaust". It has only a few good songs like what Darkthrone made before this album. The rest is shitty Hellhammer-wannabe songs and vocals are so awful, it sounds like a grumpy drunk man screaming because he lost his beer bottle or burned himself with his cigarette. When vocals are crappy like that, I don't feel anything grim or cold. I just can't take the songs seriously because it's so bad it becomes laughable.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.01.2011 - 21:13
Mikrokosmos
Account deleted
Sounds pretty much like some blackened Celtic Frost to me :p
28.01.2011 - 05:57
Richard

Written by Guest on 28.01.2011 at 00:45

The album is super (yep, Celtic Frostish guitar sound and in some places even riffing-wise too). 'Quintessence' every time does it (mental euphoria) while listening lyrics and playing the song (Storm's version also great).

Ruddy Hell, yes! The early Celtic Frost inspired element to this album is clearly evident but totally deliberate, and what a great influence to have. And the song you mentioned in particular has an all-time great riff IMO, which as you also rightly said was also used to great effect in a song by Storm (which had Fenriz, Satyr and Kari Rueslattan).
----
26.07.2015 - 20:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Maybe shortest album review on internet
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.07.2015 - 21:42
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Bad English on 26.07.2015 at 20:54

Maybe shortest album review on internet

not even close.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 8671 | This month: 14