05. Held In Hollows
06. Husks
07. Aspect
08. Countless Skies

The Best Melodeath/Gothenburg Metal Album Of 2009
Top 20 albums of 2009: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 36

Additional info
Produced by Warren Hammond and Be'lakor.
Recorded with Warren Hammond and Phil Forbes at Pennydrop Audio, Melbourne in the early months of 2009.
Piano recorded at Sing Sing Recording Studios, Melbourne.
Mastered at Crystal Mastering, Melbourne, 2009.

Cover artwork - 'Head of Medusa' by Gianfrancesco A. (geanfrancois.deviantart.com/gfrphotoproduction@live.it).

Guest review by
Njord
Rating:
When I listened to this album for the first time my first thought was "this is clearly melodic death, but there's something about it", something that marks the line between another copy and a new way of design from the same prototype. Despite the guitars following Gothenburg death metal, one innovation of this band is the demarcation of that style because there's no chorus/verse imposed law, there's no fear of falling into doom or entering solos at low speed. It's very important to be creative inside the musical genres and this Australian group achieve it in a brilliant way.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2009 | Comments (9)

Staff review by
Raiden
Rating:
After hearing and reviewing the first offering of Melodic Death Metal from Australia's Be'lakor I found it to be a rather promising debut. The promise wasn't misplaced either as the band have backed themselves up rather nicely with this new album entitled Stone's Reach. While their previous release The Frail Tide was good, the new album is cleaner production-wise and I think a deeper piece of work as well.

Read more ››
published 02.10.2009 | Comments (42)

Found in 86 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 74   Visited by: 2648 users
26.11.2017 - 19:04
Rating: 10
koob

Yep, probably one of the best melodeath album of all times
23.07.2018 - 16:41
Rating: 8
nonZero

Is it bad that I didn't enjoy this album as much as the 2 after it? It just sounds a bit bland compared with the likes of Vessels or Of Breath and Bone (my favourite of theirs).

Still a great album, but not worthy of a 9 or 10 IMO.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
09.05.2020 - 21:38
ickoriss

The album that got me into the band. Nothing but quality prog-death.
13.05.2020 - 21:31
Rating: 7
Mountain King
K i K o
I started listening to it due to the high ratings. Can't say that this is my fav Melodeath record, it's quality music with your typical vocals for that genre.
19.06.2021 - 03:53
Erudon

There are good riffs here that get me going, problem is that melodeath often get too repetitve for my taste and i dont enjoy the vocals very much, i find them kinda monotonous, if this is peak melodeath i dont think this subgenre is for me lol, with exception of bands with albuns that have crazy good riffage like Heartwork by Carcass
19.06.2021 - 20:19
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Their entire discog is terrific.
----
rekt
22.07.2021 - 00:09
koob

Still one of the greatest of all time for the genre
24.08.2021 - 15:51
Mehrad

I thought that this album was nothing really special and a bit overrated, although I liked the closer track very much.
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
15.11.2021 - 12:06
lust

A masterpice..
17.12.2021 - 22:16
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Absolutely unbelievably magical melodic death metal!

The guitar melodies are beautiful, captivating, intense, and simply awe-inspiring! The growling vocals are mesmerizing; the lyrics are mysterious - everything is fantastic! This might be the epitome of melodic death metal, (in my opinion) surpassing The Jester Race and The Gallery!

My favorite songs are "From the Scythe to Sceptre", "Countless Skies", "Held in Hollows", "Outlive the Hand", and "The Venator" (the melodies, riffs, and solos are divine in these songs!)
17.12.2021 - 22:33
Rating: 9
Redel

Written by F3ynman2000 on 17.12.2021 at 22:16

This might be the epitome of melodic death metal, (in my opinion) surpassing Blackwater Park, The Jester Race, and The Gallery!

Cancel out BWP (which is not MDM) and add Damage Done to this list and you indeed have the epidome of MDM by taking all these albums together (if you ask me).
09.03.2022 - 11:51
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
"From Scythe to Sceptre" is one of the most incredible songs of all time
Sooo many different badass riffs, solos, and great lyrics as the cherry on top... I was just listening to it again and it shot straight up to my top 30 in my favorite songs list!
09.04.2022 - 16:37
Rating: 6
Gag reflex

Repetetive and far too long. I got bored halfway through. I really don't see what's so great about this album
----
'The thoughts of dead babies
Wiped away with my semen'
10.04.2022 - 00:40
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
It's very nicely crafted together, it's clear that alot of depth has gone into this, and it certainly has quality musicianship. I really like the bass work, and some of the melodies are ok, some of it sounds a wee bit bland though at times, "Countless Skies" is probably overall my favourite song on the album, unfortunately there's nothing else I find that memorable tbh.

Some melodies remind me alot of Insomnium, but I also get alot of Opeth vibes too, from the progressive side of it, Omnium Gatherum is another band with similar qualities, all of which are bands I've never really been fully into.
After the first few listens it left me feeling unimpressed, but since revisiting I find it has grown on me slightly, but not enough to really win me over.

Hits total: 62110 | This month: 205