09. A Moment Of Clarity [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
10. Bite The Pain [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
11. Story To Tell [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
12. Voice Of The Soul [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
13. A Moment Of Clarity [Instrumental] ['96 demos]

Top 20 albums of 1998: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 9

Additional info
Nuclear Blast Records released a deluxe edition in December 2005. It contains the original album as well as the DVD Live in Cottbus '98 and press pictures. It was also released as a DualDisc.

Relapse Records released a second deluxe edition on February 15, 2011. The album was remastered and reissued in deluxe 2-CD and 3-CD formats, with the additional CDs containing unreleased demo material.

Produced by Jim Morris and Chuck Schuldiner.
Engineered, mixed and mastered by Jim Morris at Morrisound Studios, Tampa, Florida.
Artwork by Travis Smith.
Art direction and design by Chuck Schuldiner and Travis Smith.

Remastered by Alan Douches at West West Side Music.
Additional bonus material mastered by Alan Douches at West West Side Music.
Reissue coordination by Drew Juergens.
Layout by Jacob Speis.

Guest review by
Yanko
Rating:
This is it. Finally, after more than 10 years of waiting, we have got It. The one, the only the true thrash metal album. Death have had six releases, have made some drastic changes in their style and have achieved it finally.

Despite being labeled as the fathers of death metal, only their first album is truly death metal, mainly due to vocal abilities of main-man Chuck Schuldiner, who was never really a death vocal. His singing has steadily and gradually evolved into more and more shrieking, until now on this album we hear him really screaming. Not many people came to terms with it and have accepted, but it is what thrash metal is all about. Its most distinct feature are the vocals and Chuck has shown what thrash vocals should sound like. Screaming, aggressive, full of feeling, coming right from the heart. True thrash metal that is.

Read more ››
published 15.09.2003 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
I'm not going to start this review with whining about how unfortunate we are for having lost Chuck Schuldiner back in 2001 and The Sound Of Perseverance being the last Death album. Chuck was a great musician indeed, but fate was too cruel to him, and he passed away. The legacy in form of his music though is with us, so let's talk about it.

Read more ››
published 06.07.2008 | Comments (24)

Guest review by
metaniac
Rating:
What started off from Individual Thought Patterns and continued through Symbolic as a slight progressive-thrash deviation for Death casts its full blown dominance in The Sound Of Perseverance. Just before Chuck goes out with his plans on Control Denied, this album comes out.

It is very hard to single out highlight songs from an album with so many exquisite technical creations, nevertheless, "Scavenger OF Human Sorrow", "Spirit Crusher", "Voice Of the Soul", "Bite the Pain", "A Moment Of Clarity" stand out among the tracks. Listening to the whole album from beginning to the end is a downright MUST and also a request.

Read more ››
published 28.10.2010 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
Hermann Langke
Rating:
What better name for a metal band? Especially one concentrating so fixedly on the snuffing out of life? The sonic blood-curdling career of mainman Chuck Schuldiner is one of the most celebrated in the development of death metal as a thrash sub-genre. Death were the daddies of this hack 'n' slay brand of guitar violence, and anyone with even the vaguest wish to count themselves as practitioners of extreme noise, from Carcass to Deicide, from Obituary to Cannibal Corpse, would count Schuldiner's unholy racket as a major influence.

Read more ››
published 23.04.2011 | Comments (29)

Found in 156 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 145   Visited by: 3261 users
05.01.2010 - 10:21
Immortal

'Voice Of The Soul' pure fuckin' awesomeness
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
24.01.2010 - 20:44
Rating: 8
Umideath

Written by Immortal on 05.01.2010 at 10:21

Yeaaaaaaaaah , fucking great...
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
26.02.2010 - 03:27
Rating: 9
Novas

This is a progressive death/thrash metal band, but is isnt close to thrash. "Voices of Soul" has so much emotion after an epic "Flesh and the Power it Holds, the solos are very simliar, but thats what great about it. I honestly think that their last studio album was their best & a little bit similiar to their previous "Symbolic", but so much better. So sad that the singer/ lead guitarist died, after finally finding what he wanted Death to sound like.
23.09.2010 - 06:31
Rating: 10
Iced Angel

Can I give 11 to this album??
27.09.2010 - 18:13
Black Apep

Written by Umideath on 24.01.2010 at 20:44

Written by Immortal on 05.01.2010 at 10:21

Yeaaaaaaaaah , fucking great...
----
\m/
13.11.2010 - 15:35
Horus

Damn thats a great album!
09.12.2010 - 01:41
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
To forgive is to suffer
09.12.2010 - 04:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"Story To Tell" is the only song Ive never liked from this album, and the reason why it gets a 9 from me instead of a 10. Everything else is awesome stuff, and a very worthy (if horribly premature ) swansong for Death. \m/
10.12.2010 - 18:19
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.12.2010 at 04:01

"Story To Tell" is the only song Ive never liked from this album, and the reason why it gets a 9 from me instead of a 10. Everything else is awesome stuff, and a very worthy (if horribly premature ) swansong for Death. \m/

You can't be serious ? The only song you like on the album is Story To Tell ?? what about Flesh, Scavenger, Spirit Crusher, Voice Of The Soul, Bite The Pain ?
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.12.2010 - 18:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guib on 10.12.2010 at 18:19
You can't be serious ? The only song you like on the album is Story To Tell ?? what about Flesh, Scavenger, Spirit Crusher, Voice Of The Soul, Bite The Pain ?

You obviously misread my post! It clearly says the only song I DON'T like on the album is "Story To Tell". hehe
10.12.2010 - 18:51
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.12.2010 at 18:47

Written by Guib on 10.12.2010 at 18:19

You obviously misread my post! It clearly says the only song I DON'T like on the album is "Story To Tell". hehe

Oh ... sorry it happens often to me, I always misread -_-
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.12.2010 - 18:59
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Liking only one song out of 9 and dishing out a generous 9? lol Read + use your logic
----
loves 小巫
20.12.2010 - 10:12
mz

The first album of death that I listened.I'm really happy to have this album.this is my most favorite metal album
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
15.03.2011 - 20:36
Kenos
Account deleted
This album is imo (and I repeat, I M O) incredibly overrated. I like its general sound, its mood and Chuck's high-pitched scream as well... Everything is perfectly and intensely executed as always. But I find it to be really over-arranged, too disjointed, sometimes even chaotic and dispersive; progressive, in a bad way. Each song, which has however a certain structure, is filled with too many ideas scattered randomly. My overall impression, still after hundreds of listens, remains the same: unfocused, vague, puzzled...
Nevertheless it's far from being unlistenable, and there are some of the best Death's songs, like the orgasmic "Scavenger of Human Sorrow" and "Bite the Pain" (strangely enough, the most coherent of the platter). In the end I can't say that I don't like it, but neither I love it... And for a fan like me, this could be really frustrating, especially considering it's the band's swansong. Oh and, concerning this, at times I think that most of the praises around "TSOP" are somewhat influenced by the fact that it's the very last album from a legendary metal band like Death... But I could be easily mistaken, so... Sorry for my inappropriate opinion.

6.5/10
16.03.2011 - 08:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 15.03.2011 at 20:36

This album is imo (and I repeat, I M O) incredibly overrated. I like its general sound, its mood and Chuck's high-pitched scream as well... Everything is perfectly and intensely executed as always. But I find it to be really over-arranged, too disjointed, sometimes even chaotic and dispersive; progressive, in a bad way. Each song, which has however a certain structure, is filled with too many ideas scattered randomly. My overall impression, still after hundreds of listens, remains the same: unfocused, vague, puzzled...
Nevertheless it's far from being unlistenable, and there are some of the best Death's songs, like the orgasmic "Scavenger of Human Sorrow" and "Bite the Pain" (strangely enough, the most coherent of the platter). In the end I can't say that I don't like it, but neither I love it... And for a diehard fan like me, this could be really frustrating, especially considering that it's the band's swansong. Oh and, concerning this, at times I think that most of the praises around "TSOP" are somewhat influenced by the fact that it's the very last album from a legendary metal band like Death... But I could be easily mistaken, so... Sorry for my inappropriate opinion.

100% agreed. Tbh this is by far Death's worst album imo.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.07.2011 - 22:41
Fat & Sassy!

I'm not really a huge Death fan, but good god, Spirit Crusher still stands as one of the most intense songs I've ever heard. Those monster riffs are just too much.
09.08.2011 - 06:56
Death_95

I think this is the best produced thrash album of all time.
21.09.2011 - 17:22
Prometheus

Death we miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! chuck rest in peace
28.09.2011 - 06:12
lepare

I love this albuuum!
29.09.2011 - 06:16
Moose

My favorite album of all time.
03.10.2011 - 02:46
John Shock

Written by Death_95 on 09.08.2011 at 06:56

Yeah, it has some elements of thrash metal, just a bit, but it can be considered thrash metal, in some ways!
03.10.2011 - 03:26
Death_95

Written by John Shock on 03.10.2011 at 02:46

Yeah, it has some elements of thrash metal, just a bit, but it can be considered thrash metal, in some ways!

Yeah! It's one of the best albums ever made IMO... I feel that it was inspired by ...And Justice For All and The Black Album. Lol am I craz or has anyone else thought about that ?
03.10.2011 - 10:11
John Shock

Written by Death_95 on 03.10.2011 at 03:26

Yeah! It's one of the best albums ever made IMO... I feel that it was inspired by ...And Justice For All and The Black Album. Lol am I craz or has anyone else thought about that ?

Don't talk to me about that band, they're dead to me! ...but ...And Justice For All still rules!.... \m/
That's a shame their last work with Lou Reed, it's gonna be pure shit!
03.10.2011 - 10:14
John Shock

Written by John Shock on 03.10.2011 at 10:11

Written by Death_95 on 03.10.2011 at 03:26

Don't talk to me about that band, they're dead to me! ...but ...And Justice For All still rules!.... \m/
That's a shame their last work with Lou Reed, it's gonna be pure shit!
But i guess you're right when you talk about inspiration about ...And Justice For All, cause Justice is Progressive Thrash to me and Perseverance has some progressive thrash elements, if i'm not being stupid!
09.11.2011 - 18:41
Vikingr

This is an incredible album, one of my first real tastes of brutality when my obsession with metal first started out Ahhhhhhh, good times
09.11.2011 - 18:44
Vikingr

And Spirit Crusher was the shit
09.11.2011 - 19:41
king_matt

Perfect in every way! I cannot get enough of this album.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
08.12.2011 - 09:31
Bloodshotmage

I'm not a huge fan of thrash metal, but this album is fucking awesome. Easily one of the best albums I've ever heard.
19.12.2011 - 02:10
Lit.
Account deleted
Chuck Schuldiner may have played guitar on this album, but here's the real vocalist:

Makes it even better for me. COBRAAAA!
14.05.2012 - 01:47
infernaldeath87

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2011 at 08:32

Written by Guest on 15.03.2011 at 20:36

Nevertheless it's far from being unlistenable, and there are some of the best Death's songs, like the orgasmic "Scavenger of Human Sorrow" and "Bite the Pain" (strangely enough, the most coherent of the platter). In the end I can't say that I don't like it, but neither I love it... And for a diehard fan like me, this could be really frustrating, especially considering that it's the band's swansong. Oh and, concerning this, at times I think that most of the praises around "TSOP" are somewhat influenced by the fact that it's the very last album from a legendary metal band like Death... But I could be easily mistaken, so... Sorry for my inappropriate opinion.

100% agreed. Tbh this is by far Death's worst album imo.

The fuck?

Hits total: 96688 | This month: 221